Becca Martenson: Building Community

I agree with aggrivated's observation about music having the ability to instantly make community. 
One of my good friends lost his job locally.  He was lucky to eventually find another job in his field, but it was a distance away in a neighboring state.  He had to move to the new location before his family, because his wife  needed to finish up getting a degree locally.  So he rented a place and lived in the new location all week alone, driving home on weekends to be with his family.

However, this friend is a very good guitar player.  He had been involved with a band, and played regularly with local musicians here, before he moved.  So he started doing some pick-up playing with musicians in his new location.  And before too long, he was a respected member of the new location's music scene, welcomed with open arms as "one of them" (a musician). 

So there's something to be said for the power of music, and for the bonds of community formed around it.  Like Becca said, if you have a passion (like music, art, gardening), finding others that share that passion is a great way to become a part of a ready-made community.

I made my move to a very small village from the big city about 3 years ago.  Mostly I've been just scrambling for survival and have not put much time into deliberate community building.  Fortunately it's happening anyway.  I have some extremely fine human beings as neighbors and we are very good to each other, trading tools, skills, time, food, laughter, hugs, networking, labor, produce and music. 
Some of our fantastic local musicians lead classes from time to time.  I'm "not a musician" but love to sing anyway.  There is something exquisite about bringing voices together, even untrained voices.  It is another way to see the beauty of people, as well as to provide support in our struggles with inhibition.  When we nail it with some song, joy comes to the surface.  I can see it in our eyes and it does connect us. 

On a very practical note, when I lost my job this January it was a bad thing.  Decently paid jobs are hard to find and far away in these parts.  I was working again full time in my village (unheard of!) within 2 weeks through a connection in the singing group - a connection that did not exist otherwise. 

Also, in the realm of inner work, singing provides a ballast for all the things in the world that hurt, make no sense, scare me silly etc.  I'd say it builds spiritual awareness and strength.  The voice can find the heart, lift it, help it remember the joy of existence.  Then this joy can be offered as a gift to what or whom we love. 

So I've organized another series of classes with our teacher and we start again next week, despite the mad flood of gardening work that hits locals about now. 

Cheers

susan

Becca and Chris,
Wonderful reflections on “community.”  And I am impressed with the thoughtfulness in the comments that follow.

Is “community” based on space (and those in the immediate surroundings) or also on time?  Does our own arrogance and ignorance blind us to so much more?

Hans Rosling, the Professor at Karolinska in Stockholm and creator of Gapminder (a wonderful resource) has suggested:

“Nevertheless, Rosling, who also set up the Swedish branch of Doctors Without Borders, frets over what he labels “irrational nationalism”: people’s tendency to ascribe achievements or values with a particular national identity.

“The whole idea that it’s a place we belong to – that place is so important, that the nation is so important – is a dangerous concept,” he warns, again referring again to that “toxic combination of arrogance and ignorance” he’s working so hard to correct.

“It makes people think that the sheer luck of the place where they happen to exist makes them different as human beings.

“Time is our home”

Discussions of what constitutes “Swedishness”, therefore, leave Rosling uneasy.

“We don’t live in Sweden. Tiden är vårt hem. Time is our home,” he proclaims, citing the title of a 1991 play by Swedish playwright Lars Norén.

“We live in this time. Time is more important than place. Our values are not place-based, they are time-based.”

See: http://m.thelocal.se/20150513/hans-rosling-im-an-ambassador-for-the-world-in-sweden-connectsweden-tlccu

Thanks for this emerging “reflective community’ over TIME!

Charles

Thanks Charles …the concept of a "time based" home resonates with me. Being part of Peak Prosperity allows us explore the "time" that we all happened to be born into. The only thing I might question is family. Although it is somewhat arbitrary that I met my wife and had a family, I think it is important to nourish that part of my life called home, and not regard my children as just another 3 of the world citizens. Similarly, my local community identity is strong, but when it comes to State, National, and Global affiliations the boundaries become less distinct.

Becca, I resonate with what you are saying.  My guess is that when we understand our home is in TIME, and in SPACE, our SPATIAL home takes on even more meaning.  Too often, as you know, we get in the "Either/Or" trap and fail to see the richer interplay of the "Both/And" ways of thinking/feeling/remembering/envisioning. 
In 1887, Ferdinand Tönnies a fascinating book to your topic: Gemenidschaft und Gesellschaft (Community and Association). See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_Tönnies

His point is that in the agricultural era we lived in little communities, but with the industrial era we shifted to impersonal and mechanical "associations" where we focused on "Adding Value to Matter, while People Didn't Really Matter!"   As you know, an Incorporated company is an association, as is a limited liability company.  We thereby lost a sense of community which is so very necessary for the nurturing of our inner being.  In short, we need a good residential community of people that care, as well as a vibrant work community - yet it's been scripted out.  How do we recapture this essential element in human life?  Is this what you are also working towards?

Charles

of how our existence plays out.
Charles, thank you for an excellent, thought provoking comment. I would like to add that our ability prosper and/or survive as a part of a "community" is pre-determined to a large extent by where we are born.  I think I have said this before, somewhere, on another thread on this site - by and large we are a product of where we are born. That Becca and Chris, and the rest of us who frequent this site were born in (my impression) first world countries, means our version of "community" means something different (yet with common similarities) to those who were born in second or third world countries.

I feel the distinction is important. Most of us have the luxury of choosing to move to a place that fits our needs - needs we have determined as being necessary to prosper during the ugliness that we know is coming unfolds. We are so lucky in that regard. I suspect that for the majority in the world - several billion, there is no such foresight, and therefore no ability to plan ahead, given their level of largely subsistence living. So we have an advantage they do not have, just by virtue of where we were born.

This is not to knock the podcast - I did appreciate it, especially from the perspective of an introvert who is profoundly deaf, and struggling to find ways to build community in my particular world. That introversion was touched upon is important - not all of us aspire to be an active participant in a group or community, but we still retain the need to be connected to that group or community. This is a constant challenge for me.

One last thought - music is all encompassing and so very meaningful to those who can hear it well. For those of us who can't, it is one more barrier to participating in community, especially given the dominance that music has in our world.  On the bright side, I can hear birds sing with my cochlear implant, and that means more to me than any soundtrack ever could. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Jan

Thank you, Becca, and Chris, for addressing such an important topic. When I came to the US from Hungary in the early nineties, I was profoundly shocked how little community there was around me. In spite of the fact, that I arrived into the existing circle of friends and even family of my wife, I felt an insatiable hunger for more interdependency.
Since then a lot changed in where I live. Now there is a monthly potluck brunch in my 'hood, that brings neighbors together - for 20 years now, I got to know the cycling community, the setup of the town politics, and other shared interest/passion/values groups. I am still missing the embeddedness I had grown used to in Hungary.

This lack feels life-altering to me, so I have studied what causes it. I believe money is the main culprit. Since it really works here (if you have it), it makes it easy to get things I need and thus it reduces the importance of other people in my life. The other major issue is how entrenched we are in monogamy: this sets our lives up so we live in single family homes with our core families (if we have it) in relative financial independence from anyone else.

The model I grew up with was very different in Hungary: money didn't buy much, I had to have connections for getting most things and favors valuable. Stores didn't sell bananas (in fact they sold precious few items), so I only could get them if I had connections. And that person likely wouldn't want to give me bananas for money either, only for similar favors; say if I knew a chimney mason who actually knows how to fix chimneys. In addition to that, we knew who our enemy was, and it was the government: if I weren't deeply embedded in a large community, the police could just come and pick me up in the middle of the night, and nobody would know (or care?). The non-monogamy part among my circle of friends was also important, because the deep energetic exchange involved in sex boosted our sense of belonging and our commitment to each other. Communism made religion mostly irrelevant, and gathering on the streets of more than a few people wasn't looked at positively by the powers to be, so close-knit non-family connections became more important and meaningful, if not risky. So a group of us had a film-club for western, thus illegal, films, but why not boost the interconnectedness to each other with other high energy, and relatively low-risk behavior, like being sexual with others in the club (at that time AIDS was unheard of behind the iron curtain, and the worst I ever got was lice once…). This unleashed a lot of caring among members. I guess just like Becca talks about the shared passion of nature, that is also an energetic journey, but was not so readily available in Budapest. This caring went a long way, and also was like a middle finger for the govenment: see, you can suppress us, but we still enjoy life.

Not to discourage anyone, but I more and more feel, that with coming here I jumped from the frying pan, into the fire: money is only useful if you have it, and an increasing number of people don't. And what we see from police behavior looks more and more like the polizai in those eastern-bloc countries. Plus as perilous as our economy currently is, we don't need a war to render it inoperable, the California drought and some further financial shenanigans will just do fine to shut down the system we have grown so much more dependent on than most any other nations.

In short, community has became/remained immensely important in my life, and I have been working on creating it around me for many years now. While it is one of the hardest work I have done, it is also one that is expanding my life the most.

Dear pgd (sorry I do not know your real name),
I am sure there is more to your questions than you've shared - and I'd welcome hearing the background to these important questions.

As a Christian I am told to "love thy neighbor as thyself."  I do not remember it saying to love just my Christian neighbors.  Everyone is indeed my neighbor.  Therefore, I've never based my "community" upon a closed "belief community."  In fact, I actively seek out those of other communities, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Taoists and more.  In my conversations and reading, I've gained new insights that actually have deepened my own faith.  For example, in reading the Upanishads, I've realized that God cannot be OBJECTIFIED, but has a presence beyond any words we could use to describe Him.  For me this insight has been a true gift.

In essence, it's not a "belief in love," but very simply "loving the other," no matter from what tradition he or she might come. In short, I've been careful not to get lost in a "closed belief system."  Does this make sense?

All the best, Charles

Jan, thanks for raising these deep and reflective thoughts.  Yes, where we are born does determine, to a great extent, our sense of community. Yet, it also takes our active reflection about our birth place.  I have come to realize that even if I were born in Hawaii, there was so much I missed in understanding the Hawaiian soil.  We were blinded by the superficial "melting pot" idea and never really studied the deeper view of the world of the original Hawaiian (or the other cultures that made up our wonderful community).  It is only now and from a distance that I am beginning to do my homework.  Does this make sense?
Charles

Is advocating local community, because we already live in a giant one, simply a process of gathering like minded thinkers together into a smaller subgroup under an new set of cultural and enterprise rules.  Isn't that technically how a belief system actually works and what we have been doing for thousands of years?  Is going "local community" simply a regression to a smaller more manageable tribal state?
Will "communitisation" work this time round if you have a million communities (tribes) all with different goals/culture-rules/beliefs essentially competing which each other (particularly post collapse)?  What is going happen when one tribe gains and another struggles?  Think tribes and then take a look at human history - it's usually a mess once the tribes get big start to rub shoulders.

I suspect the PP group, local community groups, the "graduate institute" and institutes in general are just the names we give to the process of tribalism.  Tribes make us feel good, they give us belonging but at the end of the day they are just based on alternative belief systems that sympathetic "mind-sets" can gravitate to.  Its all very human but maybe we should be aware that this human process has been repeated for thousands of years and society keeps collapsing.

Simple, elegant yet a very important discussion. Good of you to include the introvert's point of view. In our quest to consume ideas and products, we have lost our sense of being human. There seems to be a subconscious effort to isolate oneself from the what makes us real and the virtual world, be it created by money printing or by social media or what have you, is being preferred in these times until it blows over since there is only so much a human conscience or a human body can acclimatise itself to. A straight forward conversation like the one you both had in every home every month would make a world of difference to the world at large. Thank you, Becca & Chris!

I’m not sure I follow you: I do have music and make music in my life, including at church.
It’s just that I don’t find that the community building happens in the music. The music comes out of that.
If the community is not there, the will to sing is not there, as well.
I think the need for a personal relationship with one’s creator IS a personal, and thus one-to-one thing, but just as eating is a solitary thing; but when it is shared, then it does build community.
Yes, music can be abused. But in the end, the surface reflects the core, not vice versa.

Well! It looks as though we are losing the war on Drugs. Perhaps we can conclude that our model is not only wrong, but cruel.
http://wakeup-world.com/2015/05/26/the-likely-cause-of-addiction-has-been-discovered-its-not-what-you-think/

Hugs beat drugs.

Interesting article, Arthur!  Thanks for sharing.