CitiBank - No Questions Asked

Paulson Receives Thank You Card From Carlos Slim

A guy as savvy (which is probably inapropriatley used, given what we all know about the wealthy) as Carlos Slim, having watched multiple deals (made by Paulson) which knocked 90% off of the price off a stock in minutes, conveniently decides that whatever the Citi deal is, it’s suddenly going to be radically different, exorbitantly generous to Citi at the expense of the taxpayer; thus, he (Slim) buys 29 Million shares at the bottom–temporary as it may turn out to be. (And to think that Martha Stewart went to jail for a few hundred thousand in avoided losses–rightfully so, but given the magnitude of the theft occuring today…)

A Specific Example of Redistribution of Wealth: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601086&sid=aoPHoLjgduGY&refer=latin_america

Every $1 that Paulson’s gift to Citi causes the the stock to rise puts $29 Million in the pocket of Carlos Slim.

Thank you Henry Paulson. You are really saving the middle class by sending X multiples of $29 Million to a billionaire in Mexico.

Amen to that! I really believe the survival of our nation hinges on the American public waking up and smelling the roses. Obama is going to be a good President, but most Americans are just assuming he’ll make it all better. The challenges he faces are (arguably) larger than any President has faced in generations. This is going to be really rough, and the sooner the public wakes up and figures that out, the more chance we have of recovering.

I have to disagree on that point. What I think we need is for the public to stand up and DEMAND ACCOUNTABILITY. A strike won’t help. Getting the messages of the Crash Course in front of every voting American will.

I’m very optimistic that we can make a big difference. When we announced the DVD on the blog a week before we could actually process orders, we wanted to make sure we could sell 1000 discs before our partner went ahead and put the money up to produce them. We were’nt sure how ready this community was to really get involved and start a grassroots movement.

We hoped to get 1000 disc orders before the end of the week. We had over 4000 orders in way less than 24 hours. We have now upped the first run to 10,000 discs.

If we really mobilize around the Crash Course DVD, I think we can start of constructive energy revolution. The problem now is that nobody "gets it". If a majority of Americans got onboard and understood what is really going on, we could change the world.

Ok, ok, I’ll get off my soap box now.

Erik

I say burn baby burn.
Bring on the hyperinflation.
Let the dollar turn to dust.
Poof to all the fixed debt, personal and "governmental" (which I know is personally backed by us our kids, our grand-kids and our great, great, great, grand-kids).
Paying off 53++ trillion of off balance sheet debt and paying off 11 trillion ++ fed. debt would have never happened, not with our retarded idea of a service based loan addicted economy. If we were to do this I bet it would have equated to 1 general, Oboma and maybe a VP for our total government and military. We would have been taxed just to breathe.
Maybe I’m nuts, but the big O’s fire department looks like a f*%#*%g bunch of arsonists armed with blow torches. I don’t think anything we do will help, alter or change "our" charted course.
Don’t get burned: I’d advocate preparing yourself for anything that can protect you from hyperinflation and the fallout from it.
This is just my simple perspective…It clearly appears to me that these people have a plan and I no longer think that they are bafoons. They are at least smart enough to know to pick a cabinet from the same gene pool - look at the arsonists, one writer said they bring matches - phooey - these are professionals the entire team has blow torches and fire throwers.
"We" will drop the debt in the Empire of Debt.
The best thing I think we can do is educate people so we don’t strip every resource the world has after they zero out the debt.

mred,

I’m listening. I like what you have to say. Please keep it up.

I don’t agree with canceling all debts and I think your thinking along the lines of a transition to a new monetary system. I think a cash based monetary system would work well and I particularly like local complementary currencies because this keeps wealth circulating amongst the people.

Since joe2baba has separately pointed out the apparent futility of a letter writing campaign, and since awareness through Chris’ DVD is the first step, how about we continue to solve the problem with a grassroots approach? Rather than trying to change the system why don’t we just rewrite the rules? In order to step outside the Matrix we need sustainable farming in rural areas, work on making homes energy efficient, build community networks, homeschooling, using local complementary currencies for trade (and gold and silver coins for those that have a store of wealth), biodiesel projects… I liked the book Deep Economy by Bill McKibben that points the way in this direction.

I think that this is the direction we eventually are going to end up. The question is how much pain will it take before the transition is made? With the world functioning more or less right now it is still possible to make such a Tier 3 transition.

Are we just going to wait until it is evident that this is the path we should have taken? I’m not waiting and I’d like us all to head in this direction together.

All the best,

James

hi erik

can i have some of your koolaid

"obama will be a good president"???

you really cant be serious. i guess you missed his appointment to sec of treas.

tim geithner. does that tell you anything? hint he is the current number two man at the federal reserve.

i quess i might as well start drinking my koolaid otherwise i will appear insane

CAN I GET AN AMEN…TELL IT REV.

mRed:
Hey, I do agree that we can and should mass produce DVD’s and letters.
I’m not saying give up, I’m just trying to be somewhat realistic. I think, like the conferecne call I put up, and like you pointed out, they knew before we did. I think they know now. It’s a big garbage truck coming our way, I don’t think it is stoppable. But you are right, looting the taxpayers is just plain sick.

I apologize in advance for the length of this post. But hey, nobody is putting a gun to your head to read this… If you suffer from attention deficit, this is not the post for you. Want opinions in empty snippets? Go watch TV.

I heard somewhere that behind every cynic there is a frustrated idealist. To the cynics out there: I feel your pain, believe me, I’m one of you. If we were to make a cynicism contest, I would be a serious contender for the top prize. But I can’t believe that thinking cynics can’t band together. If I’m going down, I want to do it fighting. Being cynical doesn’t mean being a pushover. What kind of wimpy cynics can’t take a challenge?

To the extent that we can keep ourselves from going at each other’s throats, something which I have practiced myself here, we have or can have a community. If that is so, what are our assets? The foundations are Chris’s analysis, his information scouting, and his work of art, The Crash Course. There is the computer infrastructure and quiet human superstructure that supports Chris and makes this possible at all. We have growing numbers of people becoming interested. People willing to do some legwork in promoting some understanding. The Crash Course, a visual, understandable, summarized presentation is a phenomenal hook. Probably none of us would be here if it were not because of it. I’ve seen people’s reactions to it, in the US and abroad. But then I have witnessed the powerlessness that people feel regarding how to react, the sense of isolation and the lack of a sense of community at various levels, not only at a local one. This should not be.

joe2baba: I share your sense of frustration. I did not have my eyes closed when I saw the marches and anti-war demonstrations, worldwide. And how as you say, people’s noses were rubbed in the manure by having governments act the way they pleased. And it is true that something similar happened with the bailout. But if I may, let me reinterpret some things about those examples (and they are examples, if you are pro-war or whatever this doesn’t change what I’m going to say).

Indeed in the prelude of the invasion of Iraq there were loud demonstrations, and people marched with their pickets and music and colorful attitudes. The reaction of the media was one of scorn. The "opinion makers" would edit interviews with participants trying to make the point of how clueless they were (and some were, I’m sure), thus presenting an image of the protesters as a marginal group. The same techniques are used every time there is a demonstration or march, be it in Seattle against the WTO or wherever. Their point is to emphasize the riots (and makes you wonder about who instigates the riots by the way), the loudness and overall obnoxiousness of the protesters. The media could criticize the young protesters’ political and philosophical naiveness, to discredit them, but they didn’t even need to. My point is, it is relatively easy for those in power to distort and even influence public demonstrations in a way that they lose their appeal in the eyes of the rest of the population. Unless the participation is truly massive and of the majority, demonstrations are ineffective. Lobbyists, for instance, don’t demonstrate.

Something different happened during the bailout protests. There were no demonstrations. There were phone calls, letters of outrage and the like. In sufficient numbers, that freaks out politicians, because above all they fear that the beast of the public starts to rumble. In their ideal world they will just take the money from the banks and corporations every day, and every few years they want to get the rubber stamp from a clueless electorate. You see, your role in the elections is symbolic, lending your weight to one or the other establishment-approved candidate, and the rest of the time you are just supposed to go around in a soporific state, or if you are thoughtful, in a grinding-of-the-teeth state. It may be true that if someone took a poll, 70% of the public may have been opposed to the bailout. But you know what? It was not 70% of the population that was calling Congress or sending letters or emails. Be sure of this, politicians are nervous about public perceptions, the elite is, deep inside, afraid of you as a collective. Atomized you are nothing. The highly class-conscious elite will crap its pants if people get organized in large numbers. Free people can organize, free people can defend themselves. The media reaction was interesting. They had no choice but to report on this, they could not spin it by showing some obnoxious dude writing a protest letter. The media lost all pretense of objectivity those days, displaying outright fear mongering to the public, threatening that people would lose their savings. That happened all the same.

The changes we are witnessing today are so momentous that it would be unforgivable for those who can see a little further ahead to just stand still. If you have a family, you will feel this responsibility in even stronger terms. It is not enough to barricade yourself with weapons inside a food-producing community. You know why? Because the elites will still come after you. Not long ago I read of some community that was starting to do local business with silver coins. Well, the government jumped on them, accusing them of not using "government approved" currency or something like that. I don’t know how that case ended. We don’t have freedom. When push comes to shove, everything will be taken from you, your savings, your excess food, you name it, you would be taxed to death. The crooks in government are wiping their asses with the Constitution as we speak. The current trends are towards further centralization of the economy, further centralization of the political power, further totalitarianism. If you don’t want this for your kids, you have to fight. The first stage of this fight should use the formal and legal mechanisms still at the disposal of the population. There are still nominal democratic mechanisms that people can exploit before everything is taken away from you. You have to preempt. Above all, you must have a position to propose.

We have all started with friends and family sharing our views, the Crash Course, the youtube videos, the other informative websites. Some people get it, others don’t. But as things get messier, more people will get it. As numbers will increase, the outrage will increase. We have the hook, we can explain much of the problems. But to close the deal we need to offer solutions, ideas, and yes, even a philosophical position and a path to action. This is tricky, I know, because it could alienate some who disagree. The conceptual framework has to be something sophisticated, intelligent, deep, but explainable. The principles are decentralization, freedom, the stuff that you are supposed to understand if you have ever read Jefferson. This is not impossible. The actions should be something simple, accessible; but in numbers that simplicity is powerful. In different places, here and abroad, people are starting to wake up, to ask questions. People are getting hungrier for knowledge. There are plenty of resources, here and out there. Check the materials of the CMRE (Committee for Monetary Research and Education), the essays of Antal Fekete on monetary stuff… lots of things. I’m exploring some of the suggestions that I have read in these forums. But it takes time to assimilate and to synthesize that information. The calling is for the people that are here now, paying attention. If you don’t, then who?

James: you are totally right. The vision must be about decentralization, sustainable food production, sustainable energy production, all that stuff. But to decentralize the system and keep your freedom you have to take the establishment head on, making yourself heard. We need to take on the monetary system, the true power base of the guys that are ruining this society if not the world. If you just "do the right thing" on your own, they will trample you all the same, because our economy is not designed for decentralized operation. Have you listened to any talks by Catherine Austin Fitts by any chance? They are great. If you get a chance, read her personal story in http://www.dunwalke.com/ it is a long read, but worthwhile. Her other website is at http://solari.com/, check out the archives, the "Tapeworm" article. She is a smart, admirable woman. There is your pragmatic position about decentralization, about how grassroots community organization is essential. Most important: what are the pragmatic steps to start. Get into it, you’ll know what I mean.

Our question then becomes: can we really generate the numbers? Can we attract the number of people that is necessary to push, based on an understanding of the crisis and a sense of community, a solution? What solution(s) would this be? In my view, monetary reform is a great place to start. Bankers use the crisis to get everything for themselves. The population needs to respond, using the crisis to express their outrage first and demand something second. Demonstrate the outrage by explaining to some congressperson your perception of a particular bailout event, let them in that you understand the corruption; demand to stop this mortgaging of future generations, this incredible transfer (the true redistribution of wealth) of resources from your pockets into the banks, demand monetary reform, demand a repeal the legal tender laws. Allow the introduction of competitive currencies. People will join efforts with you if they understand.

The solutions are out there, we don’t even need to be original. But we need to welcome people not only with an understanding of a scary crisis, but with views and actions that they can support. The easiest ones are to send letters. We can write the letters for them. Have downloadable stuff that they just sign and mail. Protests, outrage, stuff that lets representatives know that we are on to them. Express outrage, demand accountability and propose something, relentlessly. We are not there yet, more discussion and arguing will be necessary, but that ought to be a goal. If there is failure at the end of such an effort, you have the moral high-ground to bitch all you want. But not before.

That is all for what ended up becoming the mred manifesto. Erik, it looks like my soapbox kicks the crap out of yours.

www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=ENG20081124&articleId=11117

Colossal Financial Collapse The Truth behind the Citigroup Bank "Nationalization" By F. William Engdahl

On Friday November 21, the world came within a hair’s breadth of the most colossal financial collapse in history according to bankers on the inside of events with whom we have contact. The trigger was the bank which only two years ago was America’s largest, Citigroup. The size of the US Government de facto nationalization of the $2 trillion banking institution is an indication of shocks yet to come in other major US and perhaps European banks thought to be ‘too big to fail.’ November 25, 2008 "Global Research" -- The clumsy way in which US Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, himself not a banker but a Wall Street ‘investment banker’, whose experience has been in the quite different world of buying and selling stocks or bonds or underwriting and selling same, has handled the unfolding crisis has been worse than incompetent. It has made a grave situation into a globally alarming one.

‘Spitting into the wind’

A case in point is the secretive manner in which Paulson has used the $700 billion in taxpayer funds voted him by a labile Congress in September. Early on, Paulson put $125 billion in the nine largest banks, including $10 billion for his old firm, Goldman Sachs. However, if we compare the value of the equity share that $125 billion bought with the market price of those banks’ stock, US taxpayers have paid $125 billion for bank stock that a private investor could have bought for $62.5 billion, according to a detailed analysis from Ron W. Bloom, economist with the US United Steelworkers union, whose members as well as pension fund face devastating losses were GM to fail.

That means half of the public's money was a gift to Paulson’s Wall Street cronies. Now, only weeks later, the Treasury is forced to intervene to de facto nationalize Citigroup. It won’t be the last.

Paulson demanded, and got from a labile US Congress, Democrat as well as Republican, sole discretion over how and where he can invest the $700 billion, to date with no effective oversight. It amounts to the Treasury Secretary in effect ‘spitting into the wind’ in terms of resolving the fundamental crisis.

It should be clear to any serious analyst by now that the September decision by Paulson to defer to rigid financial ideology and let the fourth largest US investment bank, Lehman Brothers fail, was the proximate trigger for the present global crisis. Lehman Bros.’ surprise collapse triggered the current global crisis of confidence. It was simply not clear to the rest of the banking world which US financial institution bank might be saved and which not, after the Government had earlier saved the far smaller Bear Stearns, while letting the larger, far more strategic Lehman Bros. fail.

Some Citigroup details

The most alarming aspect of the crisis is the fact that we are in an inter-regnum period when the next President has been elected but cannot act on the situation until after January 20, 2009 when he is sworn in.

Consider the details of the latest Citigroup government de facto nationalization (for ideological reasons Paulson and the Bush Administration hysterically avoid admitting they are in the process of nationalizing key banks). Citigroup has more than $2 trillion of assets, dwarfing companies such as American International Group Inc. that got some $150 billion in US taxpayer funds in the past two months. Ironically, only eight weeks before, the Government had designated Citigroup to take over the failing Wachovia Bank. Normally authorities have an ailing bank absorbed by a stronger one. In this instance the opposite seems to have been the case. Now it is clear that the Citigroup was in deeper trouble than Wachovia. In a matter of hours in the week before the US Government nationalization was announced, the stock value of Citibank plunged to $3.77 in New York, giving the company a market value of about $21 billion. The market value of Citigroup stock in December 2006 had been $247 billion. Two days before the bank nationalization the CEO, Vikram Pandit had announced a huge 52,000 job slashing plan. It did nothing to stop the slide.

The scale of the hidden losses of perhaps the twenty largest US banks is so enormous that if not before, the first Presidential decree of President Barack Obama will likely have to be declaration of a US ‘Bank Holiday’ and the full nationalization of the major banks, taking on the toxic assets and losses until the economy can again function with credit flowing to industry once more.

Citigroup and the government have identified a pool of about $306 billion in troubled assets. Citigroup will absorb the first $29 billion in losses. After that, remaining losses will be split between Citigroup and the government, with the bank absorbing 10% and the government absorbing 90%. The US Treasury Department will use its $700 billion TARP or Troubled Asset Recovery Program bailout fund, to assume up to $5 billion of losses. If necessary, the Government’s Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) will bear the next $10 billion of losses. Beyond that, the Federal Reserve will guarantee any additional losses. The measures are without precedent in US financial history. It’s by no means certain they will salvage the dollar system.

The situation is so intertwined, with six US major banks holding the vast bulk of worldwide financial derivatives exposure, that the failure of a single major US financial institution could result in losses to the OTC derivatives market of $300-$400 billion, a new IMF working paper finds. What’s more, since such a failure would likely cause cascading failures of other institutions. Total global financial system losses could exceed another $1,500 billion according to an IMF study by Singh and Segoviano.

The madness over a Detroit GM rescue deal

The health of Citigroup is not the only gripping crisis that must be dealt with. At this point, political and ideological bickering in the US Congress has so far prevented a simple emergency $25 billion loan extension to General Motors and other of the US Big Three automakers—Ford and Chrysler. The absurd spectacle of US Congressmen attacking the chairmen of the Big Three for flying to the emergency Congressional hearings on a rescue loan in their private company jets while largely ignoring the issue of consequences to the economy of a GM failure underscores the utter lack of touch with reality that has overwhelmed Washington in recent years.

For GM to go into bankruptcy risks a disaster of colossal proportions. Although Lehman Bros., the biggest bankruptcy in US history, appears to have had an orderly settlement of its credit defaults swaps, the disruption occurred before-hand, as protection writers had to post additional collateral prior to settlement. That was a major factor in the dramatic global market selloff in October. GM is bigger by far, meaning bigger collateral damage, and this would take place when the financial system is even weaker than when Lehman failed.

In addition, a second, and potentially far more damaging issue, has been largely ignored. The advocates of letting GM go bankrupt argue that it can go into Chapter 11 just like other big companies that get themselves in trouble. That may not happen however, and a Chapter 7 or liquidation of GM that would then result would be a tectonic event.

The problem is that under Chapter 11 US law, it takes time for the company to get the protection of a bankruptcy court. Until that time, which may be weeks or months, the company would need urgently ‘bridge financing’ to continue operating. This is known as ‘Debtor-in-Possession or DIP financing. DIP is essential for most Chapter 11 bankruptcies, as it takes time to get the plan of reorganization approved by creditors and the courts. Most companies, like GM today, go to bankruptcy court when they are at the end of their liquidity.

DIP is specifically for companies in, or on the verge of bankruptcy, and the debt is generally senior to other outstanding creditor claims. So it is actually very low risk, as the amount spent is usually not large, relatively speaking. But DIP lending is being severely curtailed right now, just when it is most needed, as healthier banks drastically cut loans in the severe credit crunch situation.

Without access to DIP bridge financing, GM would be forced into a partial, or even a full liquidation. The ramifications are horrendous. Aside from loss of 100,000 jobs at GM itself, GM is critical to keep many US auto suppliers in business. If GM failed soon most, possibly even all of the US and even foreign auto suppliers will go under. Those parts suppliers are important to other auto makers. Many foreign car factories would be forced to close due to loss of suppliers. Some analysts put 2009 job losses from a GM failure as high as 2.5 million jobs due to the follow-on effects. If the impact of that 2.5 million job loss is seen in terms of the overall losses to the economy of non-auto jobs such as services, home foreclosures caused and such, some estimate total impact would be more than 15 million jobs.

So far in the face of this staggering prospect, the members of the US Congress have chosen to focus on the fact the GM chief, Rick Wagoner, flew in his private company jet to Washington. The Congressional charade conjures up the image of Nero playing his fiddle as Rome goes up in flames. It should not be surprising that at the recent EU-Asian Summit in Beijing, Chinese officials mooted the idea of trading between the EU and Asian nations such as China in Euro, Renminbi, Yen or other national currencies other than the dollar. The Citigroup bailout and GM debacle has confirmed the death of the post-1944 Bretton Woods Dollar System.

The real truth behind Citigroup bailout

What neither Paulson nor anyone in Washington is willing to reveal is the real truth behind the Citigroup bailout. By his and the Republican Bush Administration’s adamant earlier refusal to take an initial resolute action to immediately nationalize the nine or so largest troubled banks, he has created the present debacle. By refusing on ideological grounds to instead reorganize the banks’ assets into some form of ‘good bank’ and ‘bad bank,’ similar to what the Government of Sweden did with what it called Securum, during its banking crisis in the early 1990’s, Paulson and company have created a global financial structure on the brink.

A Securum or similar temporary nationalization would have allowed the healthy banks to continue lending to the real economy so the economy could continue operating, while the State merely sat on the undervalued real estate assets of the Swedish banks for some months until the recovering economy made the assets again marketable to the private sector. Instead, Paulson and his ‘crony capitalists’ in Washington have turned a bad situation into a globally catastrophic one.

His apparent realization of the error of his initial refusal to nationalize came too late. When Paulson reversed policy on September 19 and presented the nine largest banks with an ultimatum to accept partial Government equity ownership, abandoning his original bizarre plan to merely buy up the toxic waste asset-backed securities of the banks with his $700 billion TARP taxpayer money, he never revealed why.

Under the original Paulson Plan, as Dimitri B. Papadimitriou and L. Randall Wray of the Jerome Levy Institute at Bard College in New York point out, Paulson sought to create a situation in which the US ‘Treasury would become an owner of troubled financial institutions in exchange for a capital injection—but without exercising any ownership rights, such as replacing the management that created the mess. The bailout would be used as an opportunity to consolidate control of the nation’s financial system in the hands of a few large (Wall Street) banks, with government funds subsidizing purchases of troubled banks by "healthy" ones.’

Paulson soon realized the scale of crisis, largely triggered by his inept handling of the Lehman Brothers case, had created an impossible situation. Were Paulson to use the $700 billion to buy up toxic waste ABS assets from the select banks at today’s market price, the $700 billion would be far too little to take an estimated $2 trillion ($2,000 billion) in Asset Backed Securities off the books of the banks.

The Levy Economics Institute economists state, ‘It is probable that many and perhaps most financial institutions are insolvent today -- with a black hole of negative net worth that would swallow Paulson's entire $700 billion in one gulp.’

That reality is the real reason Paulson was forced to abandon his original ‘crony bailout’ TARP plan and opt to use some of his money to buy equity shares in the nine largest banks.

That scheme as well is ‘dead on arrival’ as the latest Citigroup nationalization scheme underscores. The dilemma Paulson has created with his inept handling of the crisis is simple: If the US Government paid the true value for these nearly worthless assets, the banks would have to write down huge losses, and, as Levy economists put it, ‘announce to the world that they are insolvent.’ On the other hand, if Paulson raised the toxic waste purchase price high enough to protect the banks from losses, $700 billion ‘will buy only a tiny fraction of the 'troubled' assets.’ That is what the latest nationalization of Citigroup is about.

It is only the beginning. The 2009 year will be one of titanic shocks and changes to the global order of a scale perhaps not experienced in the past five centuries. This is why we should speak of the end of the American Century and its Dollar System.

How destructive that process will be to the citizens of the United States who are the prime victims of Paulson’s crony capitalists, as well as to the rest of the world depends now on the urgency and resoluteness with which heads of national Governments in Germany, the EU, China, Russia and the rest of the non-US world react. It is no time for ideological sentimentality and nostalgia of the postwar old order. That collapsed this past September along with Lehman Brothers and the Republican Presidency. Waiting for a ‘miracle’ from an Obama Presidency is no longer an option for the rest of the world.

© Copyright F. William Engdahl, Global Research, 2008

I take one exception to Mred’s otherwise fine essay.

Demonstrate the outrage by explaining to some congressperson your
perception of a particular bailout event, let them in that you
understand the corruption; demand to stop this mortgaging of future
generations, this incredible transfer (the true redistribution of
wealth) of resources from your pockets into the banks, demand monetary
reform, demand a repeal the legal tender laws. Allow the introduction
of competitive currencies.

Mred- you’re the one who posted Carlin’s rant on the American Dream at #26. Everybody view it again for as many times as it takes for it to sink in that they don’t give a shit. Even the Vietnam War protests had little effect on the conduct of the war.

The federal government of today has gotten much more vicious than the governnment of the 70s. If you send letters, you risk getting yourself on a troublemaker list. If you join open protests, you risk getting fingerprinted, beaten or shot. When martial law comes, you’ll be at the top of their hit list when the Gestapo comes breaking down doors.Take heed. The feds will attack anybody they see as a threat to their authority.

My advice is to adopt a guerilla warfare approach. Don’t openly fight the system; leave it. Don’t vote. Don’t cooperate if you are called for jury duty. Make "honest" mistakes in your favor when you do your taxes. Get your savings out of the banking system and into gold and silver. Be prepared to barter them in a black market if they become illegal. Realize that vast majority of people you know in everyday life are incapable of taking action to protect themselves; don’t waste your time and energy. Stay in touch with social networks of like minded individuals.

Politcal power is dependent on the cooperation of the clueless masses. By becoming independent from government as much as practically possible, you’re actions are steered to taking their power away. That’s the best you can accomplish, because you’re going to lose of you try to beat them by their rules.

The central bank is simply performing its main reason for existing ---- a lender of last resort to the large NY banks that gave it life. It was JP Morgan and other large bankers that worked behind the scenes to have the Federal Reserve Act passed by congress. Banking laws were shaped by bankers so it naturally favors them.

The US Federal Reserve System was modeled after the Bank Of England which was created to lend money to the King, to fund Wars. The reason Jefferson opposed the establishment of a central bank in the US. The lender of last resort was an added feature to the US system.

From Bernanke:

"Our mission, as set forth by the Congress is a critical one: to preserve price stability, to foster maximum sustainable growth in input and employment, and to promote a stable financial system that serves all Americans well and fairly"

But how might this work in the economy? Here are two core assumptions they work under, and an opposite view —

(1) Money supply needs flexibility for the economy to grow.

If the supply of produced goods are expanding while the money supply remains relatively stable, it is the buying power of money that will expand, and there is no limit to this. The Fed labels this natural result as the bogeyman deflation, fooling you into thinking it’s bad. It simply doesn’t fit into their model. They have programmed you into accepting its opposite — loss of purchasing power (inflation)

(2) The economy will not grow if not artificially stimulated.

If it’s good for the government to stimulate, why not the local counterfeiter? If raising the minimum wage helps the poor, why not raise it to $200 per hour? The only time people abstain from using their money is if they don’t trust the current environment. Otherwise people save to spend later. Again this very human action doesn’t fit in their model so saving is demonized and labeled as hoarding.

The loss of purchasing power and trillion dollar debt our grandchildren can never repay is ignored and treated as collateral damage to be accepted.

But why all the uninterrupted flow of stupid decisions at the federal level?

Because all these decisions are derived mostly from the teachings of Maynard Keynes and the decision makers have been calling plays after plays from the same playbook since 1930s!

Freidrich Hayek has demolished his economic concepts brick-by-brick back in the 1930s But even when Keynes have admittedly changed his views, his concepts are being taught in American universities to this day.

Most of members of Congress who actually studied economics drank from the same punchbowl while attending school. Not their fault, it is what’s being served.

James Grant have said he learned of Austrian economic theories everywhere except in school. The Austrian economists are proponents of free markets and sound money. It is the counterpoint to the prevailing economic thought. You hear it every so often and you think it makes sense but runs counter to what you were taught in economics.

Where do we go from here?

We need a law of 100% reserve backing on demand deposits and provide it with legal property rights. This will prevent bank runs arising from the conflict of multiple claims from a single source. Only time deposits should be lent out by banks, under terms of a legal contract.

The market should decide which money is best, as long as it is not under the control of the government. Since gold has been chosen by people for millenia, they might choose it again.

Americans gold that was confiscated by FDR in the 1940s are still locked up at Fort Knox so it must be returned to the people. I was stunned when I first heard this.

For a thorough discussion of how we can move away from a fiat currency to sound money, have a look at this book

http://mises.org/books/desoto.pdf

There are people taking charge on this travesty (the bailouts, govt spending, and the Feds role) and I think that it behooves everyone to learn about them and if you agree, support them.
Mish is leading the charge to abolish the Fed. He is teaming up with David Walker (GAO head) who is doing the IOUSA movie and it with the Pete Perterson foundation. There is some serious cash there. Read this post:
http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2008/11/state-of-new-jersey-is-insolvent.html
and the info is at the bottom. I am getting the books he recomends ASAP so that I can read through them.
And it goes w/o saying, I am beyond furious about what Paulson/Geithner are doing to our country. And yes, Obama is in agreement (so far) with Bush. Very disconcerting.
Another excellent read on why Geither should not be the next Treas sec is found here:
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2008/11/what-obama-geithner-aig-fiasco/

Gak

http://www.petitiononline.com/fedres/petition-sign.html