Coronavirus: Listening To (And Rebutting) The Critics

A problem with accepting a new idea (like chloroquine improves COVID lung injury) is to have a plausible mechanism of action. Found one! This short paper from 2003 explores the potential role for chloroquine / hydroxychloroquine in reducing the replication of several viruses, including SARS specifically.
Figure 1 shows the General Process of Viral Replication. Bigger picture here.

Picture 2 shows where chloroquine inhibits the inflammatory cytokine, TNF-alpha’s production and signaling. Bigger Pic here.

From the text for the above figure:

"Effects of chloroquine on the immune system. TNFα is produced by activated monocytes/macrophages. TNF-alpha opens tight junctions between vascular endothelial cells [causing "leaky blood vessels"]. Chloroquine diminishes TNFα production ... decreases [fluid and inflammatory white blood cell] extravasation."
It seems plausible that this leaky blood vessels mechanism is the source of the inflammatory proteinaceious exudates and cells observed to collect in lung alveoli with post COVID pneumonia/ARDS. This microscopic picture of lung tissue is from an article in Journal of Thoracic Oncology showing the flooding of the alveoli with a thick "jello-like" fluid and inflammatory cells. Follow the link to find bigger pictures. --------- Plausible mechanism for severe lung inflammatory reaction after COVID Infx (continued)
"The anti-inflammatory properties of chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine should also be considered. The clinical worsening of individuals with SARS in week 2 is apparently unrelated to uncontrolled SARS coronavirus replication but may be related to immunopathological damage. A model taking into account the role of proinflammatory cytokines could help interpret this event (figure 3). This view is derived from the effects of the porcine respiratory coronavirus (PRCV), which shares with the SARS coronavirus the ability to cause a disease with similar histopathological features and symptomatology. PRCV induces severe lung damage through immune-mediated mechanisms—ie, probably through an increase in the concentrations of proinflammatory cytokines such as TNFα and interleukin 6, whose role in inducing lung damage has been proved using adenoviral vectors in animal models. Bigger view here
My preliminary conclusion is that there is indeed a plausible mechanism by which hydroxychloroquine could attenuate the inflammatory damage to lung tissue after a SARS2 infection. (I have not looked into the zinc ionophore aspect and cannot comment on this.) I'm eager to see more information!

I watched the first 20 minutes (time triage is necessary for me right now). The assumption that government wants lockdown and control seems counter to Trumps efforts to unlock our society. Secondly…the model they use through 2021 with the recurring waves of sickness and lockdown seems somewhat static. There is no adjustment for Pharmaceutical interventions…I don’t know …but I am optimistic that the new 45 minute test coming online and some treatments like Chloroquine will make a positive difference. Sandpuppy just wrote an excellent article on Chloroquine. Things like that would change the shape of their chart.

May have been posted before - medcram video talking about how hydroxychloroquine and zinc together act to stop replication of the virus. This is another potential “mechanism of action” for hydroxychloroquine.

1. zinc inhibits coronavirus replication
  2. chloroquine is a zinc ionophore - it allows zinc to enter the cell
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7F1cnWup9M

Wonderful update as always! I am learning so much everyday. Wanted to share that I am sharing the 8 types of resilience with my family and friends and giving examples of what we are actually doing. I really enjoy and applaud the wonderful pictures Peak Prosperity subscribers here behind the paywall are sharing! YAHOO!!! Embracing TRUTH! Best to you all :slight_smile:

Before the Powers To Be come out with misleading information, what is the real "all clear " signal? I’m betting it’s way down the backside of the curve. What say you?

Chris, as everyone else is, I am grateful for your videos and work. It has helped my family be more prepared.

I am an ESL teacher and am an examiner for a test (IELTS) of English ability. I listen to people professionally every day and evaluate their English.

Two things I consistently hear you do are: making “data” a singular noun, and using “less” when “fewer” should be used for countable nouns.

I believe that using “data” with the singular may have a negative impact on the scientific community in the room.

The “less” instead of “fewer” - [sigh]. Likely the main reason for catabolic collapse:)

I make these two points because there is pretty much nothing else you do wrong with your English. Quite difficult under such circumstances.

Again, thank you for your work, and the same to Jason and Adam.

Are the 2 gallon buckets large enough for pepper plants? I have been using 5 gallon buckets for 6 years. They are deteriorating and this is probably their last year before replacing. It would help if I could go smaller on these. We are in NW Arkansas on a ridge with no soil, so we are also using raised beds. Thanks in advance!!

I am trying these buckets. A little more room to grow yet still easier to move around.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Argee-3-5-gal-White-Bucket-10-Pack-RG503-10/207004209

Covid-19: Bahrain one of the first in the world to use hydroxychloroquine for treatment

The Kingdom of Bahrain is one of the first in the world to administer hydroxychloroquine to treat active Covid-19 cases, says the country's Supreme Council of Health chairman Lieutenant-General Dr Shaikh Mohamed Abdullah Al Khalifa. According to the news report, the drug is reported to have had a profound impact when used to treat the symptoms exhibited by active Covid-19 cases. Dr Shaikh Mohamed said the compound was administered in line with treatment regimens that have seen success in China and South Korea. -------------- There are also trials of HC in Belgium.
Are the 2 gallon buckets large enough for pepper plants?
I haven't grown anything big in 2gallon buckets, so I'm not sure. If you are going to keep the plant over Winter you'd want something big. Here's one plant I grew a few years back: I usually take out a bit of soil and recharge the bucket with some compost when I replant. If you pull the top bucket out (in my two bucket system) you can see just how extensive the root system develops in these.
I am trying these buckets. A little more room to grow yet still easier to move around.
Good find. I'll have to pick some of those up. The problem with 5 gallon buckets wasn't the weight of soil. It was the weight of the soil that was wet. I'm too old to lug those around too far.

The question of how best to use hydroxychloroquine remains and we don’t seem to be able to get the true story from mass media… so I appreciate your helping us to further develop the picture. Did you see the link posted in MarkM’s response at the end of the LogansRun thread? It purports to be written by another ER Doc., and it contains this specific discussion of chloroquine;

Treatment Supportive worldwide 86% of covid 19 patients that go on a vent die. Seattle reporting 70%. Our hospital has had 5 deaths and one patient who was extubated. Extubation happens on day 10 per the Chinese and day 11 per Seattle. Plaquenil which has weak ACE2 blockade doesn’t appear to be a savior of any kind in our patient population. Theoretically, it may have some prophylactic properties but so far it is difficult to see the benefit to our hospitalized patients, but we are using it and the studies will tell. With Plaquenil’s potential QT prolongation and liver toxic effects (both particularly problematic in covid 19 patients), I am not longer selectively prescribing this medication as I stated on a previous post. We are also using Azithromycin, but are intermittently running out of IV. Do not give these patient’s standard sepsis fluid resuscitation. Be very judicious with the fluids as it hastens their respiratory decompensation. Outside the DKA and renal failure dehydration, leave them dry. Proning vented patients significantly helps oxygenation. Even self proning the ones on nasal cannula helps. Vent settings- Usual ARDS stuff, low volume, permissive hypercapnia, etc. Except for Peep of 5 will not do. Start at 14 and you may go up to 25 if needed. Do not use Bipap- it does not work well and is a significant exposure risk with high levels of aerosolized virus to you and your staff. Even after a cough or sneeze this virus can aerosolize up to 3 hours. The same goes for nebulizer treatments. Use MDI. you can give 8-10 puffs at one time of an albuterol MDI. Use only if wheezing which isn’t often with covid 19. If you have to give a nebulizer must be in a negative pressure room; and if you can, instruct the patient on how to start it after you leave the room. Do not use steroids, it makes this worse. Push out to your urgent cares to stop their usual practice of steroid shots for their URI/bronchitis. We are currently out of Versed, Fentanyl, and intermittently Propofol. Get the dosing of Precedex and Nimbex back in your heads. One of my colleagues who is a 31 yo old female who graduated residency last may with no health problems and normal BMI is out with the symptoms and an SaO2 of 92%. She will be the first of many.

Zippy,
Some plants develop good size root balls, I suspect 2 gallon buckets might not be big enough for most plants and they could get root bound. If they do get root bound, it can then inhibit further growth, some plants don’t like being root bound and can die (it can also affect their health such as resistance to pests and diseases), and if you happen to place the pot right on top of the soil, the roots will resume growing and attach to the soil. Years ago I had a plant do that (before I started using the plant trays UPSIDE DOWN) and I had wanted to move it to a different spot. As I picked it up I actually heard the roots rip apart. I felt horrible. You may wonder why I said upside down for the trays, depending upon how much you water the plant(s) in addition to any rainfall water will collect and problems can arise if you don’t dump that water after each watering. Most plants don’t like “wet feet” (the roots) and can drown, roots do need some space for oxygen, it’s harder to gauge if the plant really needs watering, and after a few days of standing water I’ve read that it can be a breeding zone for mosquitos. And, if you don’t use trays to slow and possibly stop earthworms from migrating into the pots, they can possibly go after the smaller roots. Since the soil in pots don’t have anywhere near, if any at all, the same amount of microbial life as the soil in raised beds or garden plots. I’ve read that it’s not such a great idea to fill up pots with soil from the ground. It’s too heavy and is likely to get compacted, and other sciencey reasons that I don’t remember right now (working on my first cup of coffee…). One thing I just thought of, sort of getting off the topic of pots, but not, if the soil is too compacted if affects the root zone because they need some oxygen and it’s easier for the roots to grow which is why when placing plants into a pot or the ground you’re just supposed to lightly press the soil down and “water in place” to remove larger air pockets.
Also, if it’s very windy in your area, the plants can get blown over, breaking branches.
Linda

This is conjecture on my part. Germany has medical freedom. It was written into their constitution after World War II. What it means is that any doctor can provide any patient with any treatment as long as the patient and the doctor agree. So, while alternative or complementary treatments are not mainstream in Germany, and are not covered by insurance, they are much more available in Germany than here in the US. These include things like medical ozone, and high dose IV vitamin C that can be used to improve the outcome of viral infection. My hope is that at least some of Germany’s lower death rate may be due to people utilizing these treatments.

Here’s a good one to add to Chris’ video presentations.
https://www.vox.com/2020/3/26/21193848/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths-tests-by-state

VT Gothic,
I also use permaculture principles (using perennial plants in addition to annuals when and where I can), companion planting, crop rotation, etc. But, I also practice food preservation. I have had an Exalibur electric dehydrator for over 10 years now, once I dehydrate what I don’t use immediately, gets placed into bags, then 5 gallon food grade buckets with gamma seals on them, and I tape a small piece of paper onto it with the year and contents written with a pencil. (I learned it’s easier for me to change the label with a pencil that way and keep reusing it as well.) Each year I rotate the buckets, usually using 2 per year sometimes 3 if my plants were especially happy and it was a good year…, contents get combined from 2 buckets slowly into one. I have shared with roommates over the years bags in addition to meals. (Some haven’t been big veggie fans tho.). Kale, tomatoes, squash, beans, chives, the blueberries and peas usually get eaten fresh, but I have also done bananas, apples, scrambled eggs when I had chickens, and jerky too.
Linda

We may want to let the fever burn in case of Covid-19;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4eu-h_owaI

dtrammel,
I did like seeing the stats on the number of tests done per state, but since I’m on worldometers often, I discovered I can get to US stats and the states by clicking on “USA”, but here’s the direct link:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Holy shit, I just refreshed the screen, globally we’re over 500,00 cases now. At 9AM it was at 494,880, now it’s 510,928. And,

Country, Other Total Cases New Cases Total Deaths New Deaths
China 81,285 +67 3,287 +6
Italy 80,539 +6,153 8,165 +662
USA 75,665 +7,454 1,100 +73
Both Italy and the US are so close to China now (even though China's true numbers are ???). Not the kind of "race" I would want to be "winning", it just shows we haven't taken the steps in order to flatten the curves... My roommate and I were chatting yesterday about exponential growth, and for every one of those numbers and the numbers of deaths are people connected to them... At some point since just about every country and territory has a case, the collective trauma and PTSD will be such a breathtaking tragedy, and it didn't have to be this way... Quoting Chris. Linda  

Must watch on the Dr Oz show today. 3.26.20

https://www.doctoroz.com/episode/covid-19-pandemic-how-long-should-us-stay-lockdown-infected-virus-hunters-warning?video_id=6144918421001