Dave Collum: 2019 Year in Review (Part 1)

The world’s record high temperature was 136.4 deg. F in El Azizia, Libya in 1922. And the record high temperature in Death Valley was 134 deg. in 1913. So there are couple more data points. Core drillings also show that the polar regions were much warmer in past history by virtue of the evidence of the type of vegetation found. I wonder if the polar regions now were the polar regions then or if a pole shift occurred and the equatorial regions were much colder at the time the poles were warmer. With the magnetic north pole moving faster and faster towards the south, I wonder how much that change affects climate. The other thing I always wonder about is, is there any cyclic variation in the geothermal heat originating from beneath the surface of the earth from nuclear fission?
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/nuclear-fission-confirmed-as-source-of-more-than-half-of-earths-heat/
We know there’s cyclical variation in the energy put out by the sun via nuclear fusion and since virtually every action or process in nature is cyclical in nature, I would venture a guess that there is some variation but I’ve never read anything on the subject. Any geophysicists out there? Then, of course, there’s global dimming and the McPherson Paradox. That sure complicates things. And I also wonder what extent of climate change creates a climate emergency and what extent of climate change is hunky-dory and how such factors as distance from the magnetic poles, latitude, elevation of the area in question, size and shape of the land mass of the area in question, proximity to a body of water of the area in question (and the size and depth of that body of water), etc. and putting together zillions of those individual data points factors into acceptable versus unacceptable climate change. And, of course, there’s that big ole mass of luminescent gas hanging up in the sky. Dang, this climate business sure is complicated.

For a start just type ‘glacier tree stumps’ into bing.
As glaciers are melting some of them are are exposing the remnants of what was there.
In a number of cases it is tree stumps.
Patagonia, Alaska, Iceland, Switzerland, Russia, Canada, Yellowstone.
In some of these locations the current tree level level is 350m lower than where the once buried forests grew.
Regards Hamish

This is one of the few places on the internet where a normally polarizing topic is discussed by a contributor. The views of the contributor may even be at significant variance with those of the host and a good portion of the membership. Subsequently, the comments section is populated with a rational exchange of views that serves to add further nuance to the topics at hand.
Is this what the “civilization” thing you more experienced folks keep talking about used to look like?

https://tennesseestar.com/2019/12/21/chattanooga-officials-are-on-the-prowl-for-anyone-who-commits-hate-speech/

Chattanooga officials are clamping down on hate speech through a program called Hatebase, but they will not specify what is and is not hate speech. The Chattanooga Times Free Press defines Hatebase as “an early warning system that helps identify situations of concern” to stop mass violence before it begins. But how do city officials define hate speech? The Tennessee Star posed that question to the office of Chattanooga Mayor Andy Berke in an email Friday. City spokesman Kerry Hayes responded with this: “City staff do not define hate speech, as that is not the purpose of the Mayor’s Council Against Hate or the Hatebase tool,” Hayes said. Hayes also said no city funds or taxpayer dollars pay for the city’s use of Hatebase. But what happens to people government officials deem are guilty of hate speech? “We believe that anyone who commits a hate crime should be appropriately charged and adjudicated,” Hayes said without specifying what, precisely, happens to people who commit hate speech — not hate crimes. As The Times Free Press reported, the city has a Council Against Hate website where “residents can submit sightings or incidents of hate speech they experience or witness. The city pulls this data nightly from Hatebase and adds it to a dataset used to monitor hate speech in the community.” “The City of Chattanooga is one of the first local governments that Hatebase has partnered with in the U.S.,” the paper reported. “Hatebase originated from the Sentinel Project, an international nonprofit based out of Toronto that works to prevent genocide and mass atrocities through engagement and cooperation with victimized populations across the globe.” According to DigitalJournal.com, “Hatebase has gathered a growing list of over 3,600 terms considered to be hate speech.”

In Canada, typically it has been that you can say what you want unless it ventures into hate speech, defined as you encouraging or inciting violence against someone else. I suspect that definition will change as more and more people start telling the truth, and you will instead be guilty of hate speech if you hurt someone’s feelings. And pointing out the evidence for false flag events will surely hurt someone’s feelings, so that is how they will clamp down on free speech.

I’ve got to admit. Reading the tea leaves is becoming extremely unsettling. I’m afraid, given readers on this site are likely those that have taken the Red pill, we’re probably a sentinel species. Challenging the official narrative, regardless of evidence, is becoming very dangerous…,

“The first half of your life is ruined by your parents and the second half by your children.” Clarence Darrow
Sometimes, the obvious is not obvious enough!

Ice is no longer growing in Antarctica, Antarctic Sea Ice Extant is surprisingly low this year.
https://ads.nipr.ac.jp/vishop/#/extent
And humans very likely killed all the wooly mammoths (previous comment up there), they didn’t just go extinct naturally. We ate them.

What’s the best explanation you’ve found for how many of them have been found … flash frozen … completely intact … with undigested food in their stomachs … sometimes even standing up?

Hi ao, thats my best shot :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku_IseK3xTc

Cariolian Starfighter wrote: Ice is no longer growing in Antarctica, Antarctic Sea Ice Extant is surprisingly low this year. https://ads.nipr.ac.jp/vishop/#/extent And humans very likely killed all the wooly mammoths (previous comment up there), they didn’t just go extinct naturally. We ate them.
Cariolian, Although early humans probably did eat their share of woolly mammoths, that isn't what caused them to go extinct - at least in North America. The Younger Dryas climate change event occurred from about 12,900 BP to 11,700 BP (started ~13,000 years ago and lasted about 1,200 years.) That period is associated with a megafauna extinction event in North America.
https://humanoriginproject.com/younger-dryas-event-extinction-prehistoric-period/

Here are five problems with the human hunting theory:

1) Raw volume of animals

The theory has mainly been applied in isolated incidences and without accounting for all animals lost. The number of mammoths alone was estimated between 5 and 12 million. A staggering number which suggests other factors played a prominent role in their extinction. The sheer body mass to hunt to extinction is an anomaly in itself. At roughly 6 tons each that is roughly 60 million tons of wooly mammoth to be hunted and killed. Then add the many other species of megafauna. Could humans cause this level of hunting driven extinction?

2) Variations

Is it a stretch to imagine humans as the sole cause for the termination of all species at once? It may, for instance, explain why one species was hunted into extinction. What of the vastly different types of megafauna present at the last ice age? Hunting a mastodon and saber tooth tiger, for example, are two very different styles of prey. The vast disappearance appears to be a barrier to the hunting hypothesis.

3) History

Humans and mega mammals had coexisted together for thousands of years. There are studies of human causes for extinctions of mammals in the fossil record. These, however, are only isolated events, with the majority of fossils records showing no sign of human interference.

3) Time Span

The disappearance of megafauna fossils appears very rapidly at the Younger Dryas event of 12000 years ago. Or in other terms, a geological blink of an eye.

5) It coincided with the loss of humans.

If humans were the dominant eradicator of species, why would they to disappear in the same period? The Clovis people who lived amongst megafauna in North America also vanished during the Younger Dryas period.
The iridium-rich layer at the K-T Boundary ("K" is the abbreviation geologists use for the Cretaceous period and "T" is for Tertiary.) has been associated with the Chicxulub Crater centered off the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico, for which a strong case has been made for an asteroid impact that contributed to the observed mass extinction. That happened about 65 million years ago. There is a similar layer associated with the Younger Dryas.
https://electroverse.net/gears-of-the-gods-earths-magnetic-poles-are-wandering/ The Younger Dryas Black Mats Of the 97 geoarchaeological sites of this study that bridge the Pleistocene-Holocene transition (last deglaciation), approximately two thirds have a black organic-rich layer or “black mat” in the form of mollic paleosols, aquolls, diatomites, or algal mats with radiocarbon ages suggesting they are stratigraphic manifestations of the Younger Dryas cooling episode 10,900 B.P. to 9,800 B.P. (radiocarbon years). This layer or mat covers the Clovis-age landscape or surface on which the last remnants of the terminal Pleistocene megafauna are recorded. Stratigraphically and chronologically the extinction appears to have been catastrophic, seemingly too sudden and extensive for either human predation or climate change to have been the primary cause. This sudden Rancholabrean termination at 10,900 ± 50 B.P. appears to have coincided with the sudden climatic switch from Allerød warming to Younger Dryas cooling. Recent evidence for extra-terrestrial impact, although not yet compelling, needs further testing because a remarkable major perturbation occurred at 10,900 B.P. that needs to be explained.
The current theory is that a large comet or meteor disintegrated in the earth's atmosphere above North America and added extraordinary energy to the earth's atmosphere - thus causing the widespread, but not global, extinction level event. Since the meteor disintegrated, there is no "smoking gun" crater available to examine. If this were an isolated incident, a random meteor striking the earth's atmosphere would make sense. If it is cyclical, there's likely a better answer. Finally, here is a graph showing "Total snow mass for northern hemisphere, excluding mountains." I have no clue how they develop the data for this chart. I'll take it at face value. As I read it, the northern hemisphere, unlike Antarctica, has accumulated well above average snow for this time of year. Winter is still young. https://globalcryospherewatch.org/state_of_cryo/snow/fmi_swe_tracker.jpg Grover

…on Ugo Bardi’s blog Cassandra’s Legacy

• At the end of the day belief in climate change or gravity are optional, participation mandatory.

Robert Schoch did an interview with Joe Rogan. The main portion of the interview is about the age of sphinx being much older than originally thought. But in it he discusses his theory of a solar magnetic storm producing the widespread lightnight strikes which caused geological changes that mainstream geologists think was possibly from an asteroid impact. Interesting alternative theory put forth by Schoch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vka2ZgzZTvo&t=5409s
https://www.robertschoch.com/plasma_iceage.html

lambertad,
Thanks for posting that link to his website. The interview was just too long (just under 3 hours) for me to wade through at this time.
I vaguely remembered listening to a video a while back that the Younger Dryas was part of a ~12,000 year cycle. It didn’t mean too much to me at the time … so I didn’t follow up on it. As I remember there was another extinction at ~24K ago, one at about 37K ago, and another between 48K-50K. I wanted to find the video, but got trapped down other rabbit holes. Since I couldn’t find something to substantiate my post, I just wrote what the mainstream view was (comet/meteor breakup) and left with “If it is cyclical, there’s likely a better answer.”
The rabbit hole got really deep when I viewed a presentation by Dr. Anthony L. Peratt (Robert Schoch’s website mentions him.) Dr. Peratt is a physicist who worked at Los Alamos National Laboratory studying plasma physics. In the presentation, he said he became interested in petroglyphs when a friend (or colleague) showed him photos of local petroglyphs. He said that he had only seen these types of pictures in the top secret plasma physics laboratory.
In his presentation, he briefly explained the features of plasma physics and how it could manifest in a high energy solar stream interacting with earth’s magnetic shield. In the laboratory, they are able to produce the same results with power input varying over 14 orders of magnitude. He said that theoretically, they can produce the same results with power varying up to 28 orders of magnitude. (Note that going from 1->10 is 1 order of magnitude as is going from 10->100. Think of it as the number of zeroes in the number. 1028 is a huge number! A million is only 106.)
He showed that many of the petroglyphs were recordings of what was likely an extremely high energy solar storm. These images were recorded in rock by primitive peoples. They didn’t have the internet to communicate - yet these types of petroglyphs from around the world are remarkably similar. They must have witnessed the same (or similar) plasma events and were moved enough to chisel what they saw in stone using primitive stone tools. For people just worried about getting through today, it must have been incredibly significant!
If there is a cycle to this and the cycle is approximately 12,000 years … and the last event occurred about 12,000 years ago, we may have another date with destiny coming up. Of course, the periodicity is hard to pin down. It could be 499 years out and still fit the criteria. Besides, what can be done about it? It either happens or it doesn’t. As a result, it doesn’t ding my “worry” bell. I’m still intrigued by it.
[Note that I just spent the last 3 hours trying to find the video. I delete my web history and cookies every day or I could easily find it. In my defense, if they weren’t out to get me, I wouldn’t be so paranoid. :wink: Nonetheless, too much vigilance comes with a price. The video I have been recounting was a presentation by Anthony Peratt to a group in the UK in 2003. It is ~1 hour 20 minutes long. If anyone can find it, please post it.]
Grover

https://youtu.be/6meaU1QcSdA
This one is Anthony Peratt, Petroglyphs, 1h 20mins long to UK audience…but in 2005 not 2003…

Geedard,
That’s the one! Thanks for finding it. The video is just so-so, but the topic is absolutely fascinating. There’s too much coincidence here for me to dismiss it.
Grover

Lambertad,

When scientists make the claim about 12,000 year cycles do they mean relatively recently, like the last few hundred thousand years, or just the last 100,000 years?
i just wonder if there have been enough of these 12000 year cycles to establish a strong pattern.
Thanks for the video. It was really interesting.

Agree with Lambertad and Grover. Fascinating topic and evidence.
Thanks for opening my eyes to this ??

Here is the life cycle greenhouse gas emission from just about every electricity generation method (I recommend the Box and Whisker). As far as resource use, here is a report on mineral sorcesing for the whole world on wind and PV with electric cars and heating. It waves away quite a bit more than I think it should but IMO we should be relying mainly on nuclear power anyways. Even counting Chernobyl and Fukushima more people die per kW generated from falls installing wind and PV, orders of magnitude less than any carbon fuel.

I don’t have the time to go through and do a through reply but for starters:
That time magazine cover is 100% fake. Your discussion on model error is misleading at best.
Sea ice is only at the water’s surface of the south pole and usually melts every summer and thus is totally irrelevant to sea level rise and says little to nothing about global warming.
I can’t tell if you think MMT is obviously right by will cause inflation, in which case read this, or wrong on the merits, in which case read this. Hint Monetary sovereignty requires that a country 1. be the monopoly issuer of it’s currency, 2. free float it, and 3. not borrow in other currencies. If you are going to come up with counterexamples keep that in mind.
I could go on but I have things to do.