David Collum: Pandemonium

First, are you actually responding to this year’s column by Collum without reading it? Really?

I stopped reading through David Collum’s annual write-ups awhile ago, since they seemed too heavy on snark, drama, and attitude while being underweight on truth, and the humility and deep balance that goes with it, from my point of view.
I ask because that’s the plain meaning of your statement above, and you don’t address any of his concerns or conclusions in your post. It sure seems like you’re “responding” without having read what he wrote. So, there’s probably a better word than “response” for what you’ve written; I just can’t think of what it would be right now. Maybe your post could be called your “boiler plate response” for all climate change discussions. Second, do I understand you correctly: you divide people regarding climate change into two groups as either “believers” (like yourself) or “deniers” (which is “unbelievers”) like Collum? If so, it seems to me that the scientific debate is at most only secondary to you because “belief” is the crux of the matter. Belief (like religious belief) is usually discussed as a personal matter about which dogmatism is considered rude in polite company. But you seem pretty dogmatic. Personally, the scientific debate has become secondary to me too. I’m focused now on the proposed responses or solutions to our climate change predicament. I accept that the climate is changing for <whatever> reasons. Now I want to investigate the proposed solutions for actions I can take personally or should support others taking on a macro level. What solutions do you advocate? On the macro level do you support increased government control (national and global) over markets and every day life in order to address climate change? Exactly what governmental structures do you advocate and how much control over individuals, nations and the world do you think will be necessary to effectively address climate change?

On the macro level do you support increased corporate oligarchic control (national and global) over markets and every day life in order to ignore climate change? Exactly what corporate/oligarchic structures do you advocate and how much control over individuals, nations and the world do you think will be necessary to effectively address climate change?–OC55
Flipped this around for you OC55.
I would rather have my future defined by govts. monopolizing on real dangers to our planet and our lives, than the oil cartel.
The oil cartel is losing its grip on power a bit and they are freaking out. The link below is Max Kaiser and Stacy Hebert interviewing the economist, Michael Hudson about who is really in control and why libertarians get things so ass backward. They don’t understand how power moves, morphs and where it originates. It helps explain the current climate change conundrum deniers find themselves in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLOmvLNcnJU

I’m listening. Really. Say more about this and be specific about what kind of government, how much power, and what kind of actions. Maybe you could specify which current government(s) you think are doing it right by climate change today, and why.

I would rather have my future defined by govts. monopolizing on real dangers to our planet and our lives...

I am all for U.S. govt agencies that work on behalf of their citizens but am against factions of government completely entwined with corporate interests.
In my country, I am more or less for the government insofar as they provide the lowest cost national healthcare for all. Our tax dollars come back to us in the form of services not the least of which is science backed research into global warming. I see what is happening, know it’s not a fiction and trust their research over some knob on YouTube.
‘Government’ has become a dirty word in the U.S. because it masks the reality of almost total corporate takeover. You don’t have what I would call a proper government above the local level. I don’t even know a word that fits.
As far as what is called the government in the U.S., I do trust the scientific community within government agencies that have been working diligently for decades to gain leverage over the oil lobby that is hand in glove with the military. The military has the largest budget and inordinate power and is currently the most powerful faction of a (mostly) corporatocracy. Do I believe your current oligarchic corporate controlled government on climate change? No, because it is belief centered and caters to preconceived notions, knee jerk responses and oil interests.
Do I think scientists can get things wrong, be blinkered and dogmatic to the point of idiocy at times? Of course! I am into Ufos, so have had first hand experience with that.
But if I have to make a choice of what crowd to fall in with, it will be with brilliant scientists who might be making big mistakes, rather than ‘scientists’ who have clear ties to the oil industry.

Agitating Prop,
You concluded “But if I have to make a choice of what crowd to fall in with, it will be with brilliant scientists who might be making big mistakes, rather than ‘scientists’ who have clear ties to the oil industry.”
I would suggest that you don’t have “to make a choice of what crowd to fall in with” The search for truth has no “sides”. As soon as we get away from polarized thinking and name calling (deniers…alarmists…child actress props…oil industry shills ) …we will have a better chance to find factual data and make informed decisions.
Science is based on truth. Let’s be objective and let the chips fall where they may.

First, are you actually responding to this year’s column by Collum without reading it? Really?
Yes, really. For me, Collum’s annual write-ups are like a dish whipped up every year by your aunt for the family Holiday dinner that has some nutrition but always isn’t to your taste – maybe a little toxic. Would you feel compelled to down another heaping serving of the stuff by the third or fourth year it appears in front of you? Of course not. I took another taste this year, but didn’t like it again, so I simply accepted his Trigger Warning invitation at the beginning of Part I to once again not read most of his annual compendium. By his definition stated there, that makes me a ‘douche bag who cannot take a joke’, since he claims what he’s doing is comedy and satire. Ha ha – gotta love him, right? Not really – no more than I would an obnoxious stand-up comedian who yells lame stuff like that from the stage at a guest heading for the exit. Anyway, per my experience, some of his writing is worthwhile or funny, but much not. Some love his bad boy act, I’m sure, but to each his or her own. I find much of what he writes really not worth reading. It doesn’t mean I don’t listen to or read articles by more serious, open people who have new thoughts, different views than I do and, IMO, are interested more in communicating than snarking to the choir. I do all the time, and some have contributed to a significant change in my thinking in the last year or two – including you, by the way, Tom, even though I’m sure we still disagree on many things. And I wasn’t attempting to comment on the vast chunk of his writing I didn’t read this year. I was commenting on what I’ve read from David Collum for years. As I said, though I agree with many of Collum’s views (and disagree with others), but I consider him a shit-stirrer, a title I really imagine he’d be proud to claim as his own, given his perpetual bad-boy act bemusement at how people react to him – how they love him or hate him. Divisive. For me, there’s already plenty of that around. Life is short and there are better things to do. That was my comment.
Second, do I understand you correctly: you divide people regarding climate change into two groups as either “believers” (like yourself) or “deniers” (which is “unbelievers”) like Collum? If so, it seems to me that the scientific debate is at most only secondary to you because “belief” is the crux of the matter. Belief (like religious belief) is usually discussed as a personal matter about which dogmatism is considered rude in polite company. But you seem pretty dogmatic.
Your response, on the other hand, while potentially critical, was earnest and to the point. On controversial stuff, as I said, I really prefer that, at least as a starting point. You didn’t assume you understood what I said, but double checked it – avoiding a key mistake we all often make of reacting before making sure what the other is actually communicating, eg that I'm using words like ‘belief’ the same way you do, etc. And you asked the important questions. My impression is I didn’t communicate well, and/or you didn’t understand well the point of what I was trying to make about how I formed my own beliefs about climate, but that’s okay. I have zero interest in getting into the scientific debate at this point, after 40 years, and like you, consider it somewhat less relevant in the light of general overshoot. We’re not going to be sorting the climate science debate out in a few crisp exchanges here, and that was the underlying point. It feels like a waste of time. That’s why I made reference to the fact that I don’t believe that, at this point, it’s the scientific details that decide what one thinks about climate science. It’s more one’s overall life experience, who your family is, what ‘tribe’ you identify with, etc., and in particular, how you see the motivations, integrity and belief context of those making the arguments. I think Collum’s implication that, even it’s going to be catastrophic, we can’t detect serious climate change in our lifetime is hogwash, but that’s just my opinion. And that's just his opinion, based on whatever facts he’s cherry-picked. He’s got his stats, I’ve got mine. You obviously must not agree with his statement either, since you said you accept that climate is changing, for whatever reason. On solutions, the brief answer is that my opinion has shifted, probably to more in agreement with your and Collum’s views in some respects. I’ve become convinced by my readings and interactions everywhere, in person and online over the last year or so, (including your and my conversations a few months back), that politically and practically, a Green New Deal can’t replace fossil fuels in the time needed to avert climate change on the IPCC schedule or resource overshoot disruption schedule, and that, however it happens, eliminating fossil fuels will be a giant disruption to our unsustainable consumer society juggernaut. Art Berman’s and Gail Tverberg’s, Bill Rees (Post-Carbon Institute) analyses, and many other sources online shifted my view. You know, non-snarky, earnest people, sincerely trying to collaborate and communicate something. ;-) That doesn't mean that I don't think we shouldn't try to make a shift to renewables as part of the process, just that we have to be realistic about what's useful and what's not, what can be accomplished in what timeframe. At this point, I think we’re in over-shoot and the best case for helping ourselves and the planet will be trying to make the best of a meaningful break down of the current system and to start immediately focusing and thinking about how to live lives that sustainably use less energy and resources, starting both individually and at a community level – up to whatever macro level coordination can be achieved. That’s where we’re headed, so better to put as much thought and friendly collaboration into it we can. Hurling insults, creating caricatures and implying evil motivations can be fun and appropriate occasionally in the process, but on the whole isn't that helpful. Getting on the same page as much as possible and collaborating as much as possible seems better in the really tough situation we face. The family-level, community-level, national and international level arguments (and war dangers) will likely only grow as difficulty increases, and it's good to try to counter that. And the sooner the real danger signals start breaking through and disrupting the current system and triggering thought and action the better, even though it’s very likely to not be a good situation, economically, politically, etc. Unlike Collum, I do believe that humans are massively disrupting the global ecology and causing species die off in addition to depleting the resource base, so the sooner our unsustainable system starts breaking and forcing change toward a more sustainable one, the better.  

Over 70% of the earth is covered by water. Look at the area between the latitudes that receive the most energy from the sun. The Pacific Ocean is an immense heat sink. The Arctic now has the fabled Northwest Passage. The loss of ice across the planet is happening not in geologic time scales, but human time scales. There is an agenda on both sides, and Mr. Collum states that there is a huge amount of money invested on the pro climate change side vs the denier side. Big oil and gas don’t need to spend much on their side because they have no trouble selling oil or gas regardless. What he doesn’t address is how, and who and to what end, started the climate change debate, that enabled ?? to amass all this money? Scientists from all over the world thought it was good idea to promote that the use of the substances that provide everyone the luxury they live in has to stop? Americans can’t even stop wars, or their government from provoking more wars, including risking wars with countries that have nuclear weapons, when (excluding a tiny fraction) none of them can ask themselves concerning what the government is doing in all these foreign lands, “is it in my best interest?” “is it in the interest of anyone I know?” “does it benefit me?” “does it benefit Americans?” with an answer of Yes. Not only can’t Americans stop what is not benefiting them now, (it does but their conscious minds are forbidden to recognize the true relationship between themselves and their government and its true relationship towards other countries and peoples) they can’t prevent all their lives from being put in danger, even when the potential danger becomes an imminent threat. The pro climate change beneficiaries would first have to overcome all the biases against what they were saying in significant numbers to benefit, and they have succeeded to the extent they have with no viable alternative to replace the energy of fossil fuels. There’s plenty of magical thinking of renewable energy replacing fossil fuels, and indeed they will, but that is a future without private automobiles, and not too far in the future, one without armies for a century or three or more, and that future depends on avoiding nuclear war, and/or the spent fuel rods currently being stored in cooling ponds at every nuclear power plant in the country being successfully managed through the collapse of ponzieconomics and its aftermath. Among all these clever scientists predicting/calculating the negative aspects of climate change and what is causing it, most of them have considered not only the consequences for business as usual, but the consequences of eliminating the causes. How many of those scientists followed through with what the negative affects on society would be without fossil fuels, and applied the rigors of scientific method to figure out what they might be is unknown. Forget about renewables, and focus on just eliminating fossil fuels from the global economy that supports 7.6 billion people directly or indirectly, as surly as a lot of the scientist promoting climate change did. It doesn’t take a lot of research to discover that nothing can replace fossil fuels to support human population and civilization as it stands now, and in any event, in all cases lacking something resembling a miracle, several billion people less than our current population will be inhabiting the earth a century from now with or without climate change. The only motives that I can see behind promoting climate change is that it is a very real concern or, far less plausible, it is a way to slow the depletion of fossil fuels and manage the decline, or as I heard Richard Heinberg refer to it as, the great simplification of society. The latter of the two motives doesn’t add up because the economies of scale required to access a significant, if not most of the remaining fossil fuels allegedly available now, will shrink as the economy does, and not necessarily in a linear fashion. Mr. Collum should consider the propensity for people to have “normalcy bias” and that he’s not immune. He should also consider the wise words of H L Mencken that apply to us all, to some degree or another, even the most skeptical.
“It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant, and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting.”

It may not have made the news much in the states, but down under here in NZ due to the number Samoan immigrants here, and following a measles outbreak here,the measles outbreak in Samoa has claimed 81 lives as of 27 Dec.
“At least 20% of babies aged six to 11 months have contracted measles and one in 150 babies have died”
A pretty good ‘experiment’ on the risk profile of measles, against a very low known adverse vaccination reaction.
Even if there is an autism link it must be at low levels. Given the risk rate it the Samoan ‘experiment’ I am nowhere near revising our decision to vaccinate our children or ensure our present and any future grandchildren are vaccinated.
How many children died in Samoa thanks to the anti vaxxers???
Regards Hamish

Hammish, you seem to be blaming the so-called anti-vaxxers for the deaths of 150 Samoan babies. These deaths could also be “blamed” on the pro-vaxxers as well. Measles virus in the past almost always infected children between 3 to 10 years old. Rarely infants. Why? Because vaccine antibodies are different from naturally acquired measles antibodies, young vaccinated moms today cannot give longer lasting naturally acquired measles antibodies to their newborns. Vaccines simply do not confer the same kind of long-lasting immunity that is obtained from experiencing and recovering from the natural disease. And infants do not have adequately developed immune systems to fight the virus.
So it could be said that if the natural cycle of measles was left alone, these babies would have been protected by their mothers passing a protective antibody titer trans-placentally. And would not have died.
Just another perspective.
Also, you give a link to Wikipedia, which is blatantly against any alternative medical opinions.
The following is from https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2019/06/11/what-is-going-on-with-measles.aspx
In the first paragraph, the author describes her experience with measles, which is virtually identical to mine, as I was born in 1950.
Measles in US in 1950s: Mild and 90% not reported
I had measles in the 1950s, along with my sister and half the kids in my class. I remember staying home from school, wearing dark glasses in the house and eating chicken noodle soup and orange Popsicles, while waiting impatiently for the spots to disappear so I could go back to school and see my friends again. The same thing happened with chickenpox, but that was way more uncomfortable because even with calamine lotion, I kept itching when I shouldn’t have.
There were 555,000 reported cases of measles in 1955 with 345 associated deaths in a U.S. population of 165 million people that year.23,24 Actually, though, an estimated 3 to 5 million Americans every year got wild type measles, usually before age 15.25,26,27 If 3.5 million Americans got measles in 1955 and 345 died, the measles death rate was about 1 in 10,000.
Most cases like mine were mild with a fever, sore throat and rash that went away in a week. Back then, few mothers called a doctor for a common childhood infection every child got, and 90% of cases were not reported to the government.28
In fact, if you look at vital statistics data from the early 20th century, although measles can cause complications like pneumonia, ear infections and brain inflammation, measles infections have never been a leading cause of death or disability in this country.29 By the mid-20th century there were antibiotics to address many complications, and measles was not considered a big problem by most parents and clinicians in the U.S. or Europe, especially in healthy children.30

I do have a medical background, having practiced veterinary medicine for 44 years and have administered thousands of vaccines. I am not a rabid anti-vaxxer, but am very cautious now as to believing the propaganda put out by the medical establishment. And I recommend to my children (and their children) not to follow the current recommended vaccination protocols.

Yes, this guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about re climate change. It’s like - he’s now a Trump supporter and watches Fox, so there can’t be climate change. If you look at the evidence for human induced climate change, it’s overwhelming. Has he read the IPCC reports, the NASA website. The Sceptical Science website, the books written by investigators in the field ie in Alaska, in Siberia, in Greenland. (Try Dahl Jamail’s recent book - The End of Ice, Naomi Klein’s This Changes Everything and so many more.
Has he seen the interviews with scientists like Professor Peter Waddams, who has been studying Greenland ice for forty years? Has he seen the graphs showing a big rise in greenhouse gases since WW2 and the corresponding graphs of increasing world temperatures and increasing ocean temperatures and levels of acidity. No I bet he just regurgitates the crap put out by the right wing denialists, not the 97 % of climate scientists who know it’s real. All the fire chiefs in my country Australia, both current and retired say that the extraordinary devastation that’s taking place here is because of the steadily increasing “moisture deficit” occurring in recent years which has made things that much more combustible. One said that in his 46 years fighting fires he has never seen anything like this. And the same phenomenon has caused the Great Barrier Reef to die off, as well as the huge and extensive kelp beds off the east coast of Tasmania. Warmer water fish from the north are moving into these southern regions like never before. Tropical weeds are now being seen in regions which have recently become warmer. Sydney and Canberra have just recorded their hottest days ever.
Meanwhile Scotland recorded it warmest December day ever and yesterday someone on Reddit posted that it was currently 20 degrees above normal in their home area of west Norway. Climate denialists can’t accept the truth because they can’t face the reality that modern industrial civilisation and extreme capitalism with extraordinary levels of consumption ( and waste) of both material goods and energy is at fault.

I posed a question as to how many of those deaths were as a consequence of anti vaxxers efforts. Interesting that you interpenetrated my phrase as blaming all 150 on the anti vaxxers.
I linked to the wiki page as a quick starting place for those who wanted to look further.
Since you were so down on it as blatantly anti ani vaxxers I had a better read and looked at some of the referenced links. It is certainly not complimentary to them but overall comes across to me as fairly factual. What parts did you find particularly troublesome?
One paragraph from a reference link in the wiki page that stood out in light of your comment was “Most of the kids have severe pneumonia, often complicated by multi-resistant bacterial infections,” explains Stephen Owens, an infectious disease paediatrician working with an 18-strong emergency medical squad who flew in from the UK last month."
Your linked article said “By the mid-20th century there were antibiotics to address many complications”. May have been true then but today not so much
Read your linked article, but the citation links were not working so I used duckduckgo and “measles immunity breast milk”
The first article (that the search page brief looked like a paper rather than someone commenting on a paper) was this. “58 per cent of these children had lost the protective maternal antibody by the age of 4 months and only 3 per cent of the children had enough antibody to protect them between the ages of 6-9 months. Fifty-five colostrum samples from the same mothers and 347 breast milk samples collected at various periods of breastfeeding also showed that anti-measles IgA had dropped below the protective cut-off within the first 2 weeks of birth. It is evident that the Nigerian child is born with solid anti-measles antibody but the rate of waning has left a large number unprotected before the first dose of the vaccine.”
Given your articles authors claims on this matter I expect that there are an number of papers with varying degrees of infant protection found, but I suspect that a bit of cognitive bias is exhibited by the author of your link.
Finding good data on the death rate from vaccine complications is a bit hard but it seems to be well below that of the risk of measles, but in your article I saw no numbers on this aspect.
As to my childhood, If someone in the district got chicken pox, those who had not had it would go round to play and hopefully catch chicken pox.
These days if you catch it you are not allowed to school, which is a bit like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted as you are infectious before symptoms appear!
Regards Hamish

Aust bureau of meteorology rainfall record
Looking at the link this year certainly has been an exceptionally dry year drier, last year soso.
A rough eye over I would say recent times are on average wetter than the twenties/thirties.
Interestingly the bright red color is labeled as lowest ever, yet 2019 and 1961 have a common area of driest ever…
Regards Hamish