Energy Crisis Upon Us

I just want to say thank you Chris. You probably saved my life and my family with all your research. You have given so much info and in my opinion asked for so little. Thank you!! I hope your farm is doing great…

5 Likes

That’s why I always say:
You don’t own property in the US. You rent from the government.
Depending on the state and tax rates, every 30-50 years, you will have paid the full property value in taxes.
It’s funny that people look at China sideways. In China, private citizens are NOT allowed to own land - you can only lease it.
I’ve heard people say they would never do that. Well, LOL, it’s not like you get an option in the US.

1 Like

Yes, bh. Going to pick up my tank today. It has been on the list, but the list is long. Here, diesel jumped from $3.69 to $4.19 overnight Wednesday. Like you, my concern is the potential to be unobtainable at any price. Hopefully, those in ag will be first in line if rationing starts.

2 Likes

Yes it’s nice but it is hard for me to read the gray print. Everybody uses it. I guess it looks cool and gives you the opportunity to use darker print for emphasis. Difficult to see/read for some.

3 Likes

Those in big AG will be first in line, I have little doubt. Small AG, the family farmers and homesteaders wont.
To demonstrate how seriously I am taking this; Im selling off the last of my beef cattle and keeping just a couple of dairy cows that are calving soon. And, you’ll laugh at me, but I purchased scythes for me and my wife.
My thoughts are that if/when TSHTF with oil shortages we can cut enough hay by hand to maintain just a couple cows and some sheep. Also, in such a scenario we may not be able to count on the meat processors to stay open or have availability, so processing an entire cow is daunting, and being able to store that much meat all at once might be difficult. So we’ve been slowly downsizing the herd for a couple of years anyway, this will be the final push.
It makes more sense from a survival/self reliance position to keep a couple dairy cows [ milk, butter, cheese ], and process lamb/sheep for meat. Several lamb can be processed easily in a day and hung in a smoker. Lamb not ready to be eaten can be kept ‘on the hoof’. In the worst case scenario we can “scythe” and put up enough loose hay to maintain our food production.
Its a completely different model. The focus being on minimalism and at home food production rather than the profit driven farming Ive done in the past [ which I figure might not be sustainable in the coming months/ years ].

3 Likes

In this video Chris says that the Federal Reserve will protect the stock market and do nothing to control inflation.
Charles Hugh Smith (whom I admire greatly) says the opposite. He says that the failure to control inflation will destroy reserve currency status by destabilizing the dollar and making it worthless as a reserve currency. Smith goes on and says that the people in power realize that the loss of reserve currency status will lead to the demise of America as a world power. Smith then says that the powers-that-be will never let that happen.
But I actually agree with Chris. The United States ceased making sense over a decade ago. They will continue with money printing even if it completely destroys the country. At this point, I would be shocked if the Federal Reserve (or Congress or the Treasury, for that matter) acted rationally.
I am even beginning to think that the destruction of the United States by the United States is deliberate. But for the life of me I can’t come up with a rational explanation for it.

1 Like

Might be a little off topic (or not?)
What might cause Orange Aurora?!
https://www.spaceweather.com/

Sodium burns orange, I think. While the Aurora borealis is not a burn, would a high level of sodium particles in the air react to cause the light?
Hmm…trying to do some quick reading on this, so I edited to add:
From the article: "“I think this is what is happening in the picture,” says Oksavik. “On this particular day the precipitating electrons were so energized that they reached deeper into the atmosphere (probably 80-90 km) where nitrogen molecules emitted a wide range of colors, that combines into what looks like an orange glow.”
What could induce precipitating electrons to become so highly energized?
Wikipedia says: “When broadband very low frequency (VLF) waves propagate the radiation belts, the electrons exit the radiation belt and “precipitate” (or travel) into the ionosphere (a region of Earth’s atmosphere) where the electrons will collide with ions.[2] Electron precipitation is regularly linked to ozone depletion. It is often caused by lightning strikes.”
Can lasers do this?

in real estate law you don’t actually own the physical property. you own what are called a “bundle of rights”. one of those rights is possession. there are rights such as mineral and water rights which can be split out of the bundle and tranferred.

agree. there seems to be an ongoing battle in the world between form and function. i am a function kinda guy

I thought the daily cartoon from Hedgeye was fitting.

2 Likes

My take on the ‘reason’ is that the ruling class in the USA is part of the mass psychosis that has gripped our culture. A rational explanation assumes that reason and not psychosis is what is taking place in the halls of Washington.
I don’t see evidence of that. Our political class is so consumed by hubris (I think it is really part of the psychosis) that objective thought and rational discourse just cannot exist. The only thing they know is how to print $$. I agree with Chris on that.
So when it becomes more and more clear to this class of ‘rulers’ that the game is really being lost, then it is simply time to push the chess board off the table. That is where I agree with Smith. They can’t believe their efforts to print result in a failure of the currency and they are determined to not let that happen.
Then you see talking heads like Hannity promoting that we somehow establish ‘no fly zones’ and take out 40 mile convoys like he is playing a video game! Totally nuts! And yes, I am beyond appalled when I hear people on the street agreeing with that!
Coop

2 Likes

Hello Chris,
I used to be a paying member several years, however that was a long time ago. My German bank changed the way the payment was arranged from my credit card, and I might have been a bit clumpsy in finding out how I could restart the payment stream.
(Still, I don’t think I am all that clumsy since I am able to pay membership to Zero Hedge, which also have a pay wall to protect their core content).
Without payment stream I stopped getting access to your member content, logical, but as I did not find out how to restart things, i got fed up and cancelled my membership. That was probably my biggest error since I do not seem to be able to restart my membership?
Later I have tried to reactivate this, but this is not allowed since there is somebody else registered using my email adress (yeah, that is me) which blocks me reeentering.
Hoping you can find a way to let me in again
All the best
Gunnar Johansson

Up in the top right corner there is a ? button, one of the options is “request support.”
I’d try that,
Kathy

It’s not to make room for emphasis. There’s a belief in web design that high contrast is bad. Unfortunately it runs opposite to perception research. Low contrast is hard to read, slows down reading and reduces comprehension.

1 Like

Here is another take regarding oil prices. For every argument there seems to be at least one counter argument. My take here is that oil companies will take advantage of the opportunity to increase prices when they see one. We know that regardless of actual scarcity just the thought that there could be a scarcity of something will send prices up. Fearful people will be more willing to pay higher prices for anything, this fear has always been exploited by companies with goods to increase prices. I’m not implying that the current world instability will not eventually affect the availability of oil and other energy supplies, but the supplier companies will be happy to start hiking prices when fear is perceived in the population and not wait until actual scarcity begins. If thay gives them one week of more profits, they will gladly take it. Likewise, these companies had some very profitable years when they could have decided to invest in oil infrastructure and more manpower but they chose to use their money for other purposes, such as bonuses for oil executives, buying their own stock back, paying more to shareholders, etc. Please read this short article below:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/20/big-oil-gas-prices-windfall-tax-russia-ukraine
Additonally, Biden stated not long ago that there are currently 9,000 unused oil drilling permits. There are some complexities about this issue, the devil is always in the details. Please see this other article for this:
https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2022/biden-9000-unused-oil-drill-permits/