Gail Tverberg: The Coming Energy Depression

Matt I generally agree. All our cheap energy isn’t adding much value to our lives. Cheap energy and cheap food are like drugs. A good energy crisis would be a healthy thing, force us to move back to town, walk, and get along with their neighbors. Sadly, it’s unlikely to happen because we are so energy rich. I live downtown among houses built pre-WWII and pre-common auto and all the homes are all tiny and walkable. Were they any less happy back then?
So why not just change our lifestyles anyway? Walk or bike (our car batteries always die because we never drive), live in a small home (less to clean or heat!), cook from scratch and ditch processed food (yum), hunt and fish (yum), and garden (yum), and live as extended families with lots of kids (much more pleasant and social than a TV or media soaked home)? It’s a far better life, a much healthier life. I don’t call this being Luddite. I call it plain old common sense.

MKI wrote:
... Amazingly, $150 oil didn't even seem to have extreme effect on driving cutbacks (look at mileage), so we seem to need over $200 oil $5 gas to really make much an impact in use...because we are rich! Remember, oil is 70% transport $ in the US and the US could eliminate half of driving relatively easy, most of that driving is just wasteful living. Because we can and life is so easy. Hardly a crisis.
MKI, First off, I agree with many of your statements throughout this thread. The US is energy rich, oil at $150 is actually cheap, and we waste an enormous amount of energy because we can (and it is so cheap.) Whenever someone complains to me that gasoline is expensive, I ask them what their car's gas mileage is. Then, I ask them if they would rather push their car that distance for the price of a gallon of gas? That usually shuts them up. I think that you are missing what I consider to be Gail's main point: Once the price of fuel increases, economic activity slows down. The cost of energy (and the cost of renting money, ie interest rates) is embedded in every product. Businesses are forced to constrain costs in order to maintain profitability. That means that they won't be offering pay increases to their non-elite workers. Meanwhile, costs go up for these workers. The more energy intensive a product is, the more the cost will go up. Workers either consume less or take on more debt to maintain their standard of living. The choice to add more debt is easier when oil prices first start increasing - especially if interest rates are low (or decreasing) and additional credit is available. What happens if oil prices increase for long enough that available credit dries up? What happens if interest rates are also increasing at the same time? Here's a graph from http://www.artberman.com/saudi-arabias-oil-price-war-is-with-stupid-money/ showing inflation adjusted oil prices along with US Federal Funds interest rates over time. The added annotations are all from Art. It is from about 3 years ago, but still shows some interesting relationships. Federal Funds Interest Rates & CPI Oil Price 1955-2015 One thing about this chart that catches my eye is that spikes in oil prices generally cause the interest rate to drop. Two notable exceptions was Volcker's 1980s interest rate spike and the rise in '04 - '07 when Greenspan was trying to normalize interest rates. Volcker increased interest rates to sop up the money (inflation) from LBJ's Unified Budget that released the pent up Social Security funds to fund his guns and butter policies a decade and a half earlier. Greenspan dropped rates as the stock market crashed and more in response to the 9/11 "terrorist" attacks. Rates lower than seen in a generation caused folks to "invest" in housing and caused the housing bubble. Home equity loans allowed folks to ameliorate the oil price increases. As a result, the economy continued to hum along in spite of high oil prices ... until it didn't. Then, both oil prices and interest rates dropped to aid the "recovery." As Art noted, this last economic "recovery" has seen a combination of the lowest interest rates ever along with the longest period of high oil prices ever (at least through 2015.) Then, the fracking scare caused Saudi Arabia to increase production to starve the US frackers out of business. (That was the same tactic used by KSA to drop prices in the 1980s and starve the USSR out of business.) Now, oil prices are creeping up and the federal reserve is trying to normalize interest rates again. Meanwhile, China has announced that they won't buy US bonds anymore while the federal reserve is cautiously starting their QT and Trump's tax cut is to be funded by increased borrowing. Its the combination of higher priced money and energy combined with the ability/desire to take on more debt that impacts economic viability. What could possibly go wrong? It should be obvious that the earth isn't generating fossil fuels as fast as we remove and consume those fuels. Based solely on that, fossil fuel prices that are strictly based on availability should constantly increase. Yet, we don't see that. Art Berman's chart shows how volatile the price has been over time. There must be something other than available quantity that determines the price. As such, it is faulty logic to use price as an indicator that we're awash in energy. Deposits need to be found before being exploited. Discoveries peaked long ago. Lately, we've been extracting more oil than we've been finding. How much of the earth has been explored already? What are the chances of finding another Saudi Arabia worth of oil on this earth? Of course, there are ways to increase drilling/extraction efficiencies. The shale oil deposits were discovered long ago. Until fracking technology was developed, it wasn't worth drilling. I'm not convinced that it is "worth" drilling for it at these prices. And yet, the frackers continue to frack. When considering break-even costs for drilling operations, shouldn't all costs be attributed to the drilling? It isn't just buying the equipment, hiring the manpower, and paying royalties and taxes. We assume that the taxes will cover damage to infrastructure, but running exceedingly heavy equipment over roads not designed/built for such heavy equipment causes lots of damage to occur. Some entity has to pay that cost - either to repair the roads or just live with reduced serviceability. Why shouldn't that be factored into break-even costs? If a drilling operation isn't drilling, they can't meet payroll or pay off debt. Even if they are losing money by working, they won't be losing it as fast as if they weren't working. What would happen if a "white knight" with very deep pockets financed the operations? When profitability (or bankruptcy) isn't a consideration, drilling operations can continue for a long time. Dave fairtex once posited that financing fracker operations would increase the amount of oil on the market and drive down the market price of petroleum. Since oil producing countries are addicted to oil's revenue, they really can't stop pumping without taking an economic hit. Losing a few $10s of billions wouldn't impact them at all. Could the federal reserve cause this (or strongly suggest (behind closed doors) that banksters do this?) Jim Puplava stated that oil price was the new federal reserve interest rate. That's a fair assessment since petroleum is the master resource and its cost impacts economic activity the same way as interest rates do. So, my question is how do you know this isn't happening? How can you be so sure that oil's price isn't being manipulated? If a manipulated price doesn't really reflect availability, how smart are we to rely on that indicator? Grover

Grover,
I understand your argument. When I say “price” is a good measurement it’s because oil is simply too worldwide a resource for any one nation or currency to control it. And the 3 biggest suppliers (Russia/USA/Saudi) could never conspire for very long anyway. I look at oil versus gold when I say “price” since that’s the only fair way to bypass currency and get a true price. So I think the economic conspiracy meme (gold price, oil price manipulation, whatnot) I hear as of late is just sour grapes and not liking the data which shows we are doing quite well economically due to technology. Hell, even if “they” could manipulate oil and gold prices worldwide, so what? Everything is cheap and we are consuming massive everything. How long could this really happen if it was fake? Not this long.
If and when we get short of oil supply (price maybe $200-$500?) we will merely start to cut back on our waste and start using other sources so will likely never see serious economic crisis due to energy. Maybe Japan or Europe at bit, but not the USA.
For this reason I disagree with CM “oil” is the “master resource” meme. Oil is merely the easiest and cheapest energy resource and people can’t seem to grasp we can change rapidly. Why not just use nuclear and electric cars? Or NG cars? Or just cut back on driving? Man, are Americans greedy, but we could definitely use half our oil with probably twice the lifestyle. The linear graph of GDP and oil is merely “because we can” consume more oil with more GDP, not the other way around, oil causing GDP, like CM thinks. Look at Japan, a massive GDP with no oil at all.
Truth be told, human innovation is the real “master resource”. The stone age didn’t end due to lack of stones, it ended by us finding other useful things to replace the stones with. Rock oil replaced whale oil for lighting, which was then replaced by coal and electric lights, with lighting price falling exponentially even until now. Same way, rock oil will go out of fashion once it gets scarce enough. We just don’t need it when we live smarter, not to mention we have too dang much coal, nuclear, NG, etc. when we finally deplete oil. Which isn’t happening very rapidly…I’m a PE and foolishly guessed peak oil by at least 2020…boy have I proven to be a fool since no way that’s happening. Why did I get fooled? Technology. It’s flat-out amazing how cheap fracking and drilling has become in my career (I remember being all proud when drilling a 27M ft well in the '80s which set a North American record…which is today a pathetic joke, we drill those in our sleep). Technology advances, on all fronts, in drilling, production, and reduced consumption with more efficient consumption, it makes us all richer each day and needing less and less energy for the same quality of life.

MKI wrote:
For this reason I disagree with CM "oil" is the "master resource" meme. Oil is merely the easiest and cheapest energy resource and people can't seem to grasp we can change rapidly. Why not just use nuclear and electric cars? Or NG cars? Or just cut back on driving?
Then back it up with actual numbers. Real. Data.
MKI wrote:
Oil is merely the easiest and cheapest energy resource and people can't seem to grasp we can change rapidly. Why not just use nuclear and electric cars? Or NG cars? Or just cut back on driving?

I really want to know what kind of engineer you are, because I’ve NEVER heard an engineer talk about any project being easy and quick to accomplish. Probably because they understand that the process of going from idea to implementation takes a whole lot more than a hope, a dream, and a prayer. Keying over our entire travel infrastructure to accommodate anything other than oil is a massive and timely undertaking, and your apparent inability to grasp that indicates you either are not an actual petroleum engineer, or that you are a really, really bad one.

And, nuclear cars? That tech isn’t exactly scalable to automobiles. Are you aware of how many nuclear plants it would take to meet even half worldwide demand for energy?

Oh, and you didn’t get most of what Grover was saying. His was a subtle and nuanced series of points regarding the interplay of energy and the economy. Your response, on the other hand, was like a banner at the head of the technology cheerleader parade.

-S

MKI wrote:
I understand your argument. When I say "price" is a good measurement it's because oil is simply too worldwide a resource for any one nation or currency to control it. And the 3 biggest suppliers (Russia/USA/Saudi) could never conspire for very long anyway. I look at oil versus gold when I say "price" since that's the only fair way to bypass currency and get a true price. So I think the economic conspiracy meme (gold price, oil price manipulation, whatnot) I hear as of late is just sour grapes and not liking the data which shows we are doing quite well economically due to technology. Hell, even if "they" could manipulate oil and gold prices worldwide, so what? Everything is cheap and we are consuming massive everything. How long could this really happen if it was fake? Not this long.
MKI, I'm not as confident as you that the manipulation of prices isn't distorting your perception. I do agree that we are consuming massive everything. I see it more analogous to the way some incandescent lamps get really bright just before going out forever. I'm not arguing that the petroleum we've consumed wasn't there. If the petroleum weren't available, it couldn't be consumed. The question becomes: How much is left and how long will it last?​ Please give these questions your best shot. I understand that the first answer depends on petroleum quality definitions and the second answer depends on technological abilities, but even if the earth were a hollow ball filled with petroleum, we'd pump it dry in less than 1,000 years given just 3.5% per annum compound growth rate. The earth contains lots of materials other than petroleum and petroleum is generally located in isolated pockets. Isolated pockets cost more energy per unit energy recovered to exploit than Ghawar oil giants. There aren't any more Ghawars to find.
MKI wrote:
If and when we get short of oil supply (price maybe $200-$500?) we will merely start to cut back on our waste and start using other sources so will likely never see serious economic crisis due to energy. Maybe Japan or Europe at bit, but not the USA.
I seriously doubt that oil will ever get to a stable cost of $200 per barrel. It may spike that high briefly, but the blockage in the economy would clog economic activity and prices would fall back to affordable levels. Of course, affordable levels would be much lower when all the non-elite workers who lost their jobs couldn't afford to buy it at any price. Just to make it clear, I agree with you that we 'murikans waste lots and lots of resources! Unfortunately, lots of your suggestions on this thread require massive retooling to accomplish. As a PE, you should understand that takes lots of time and resources. As an example, if you live in a mcmansion in an isolated community and currently drive a Hummer 30 miles to work each way each day, you have few options that are currently available. There won't be public transportation because you're isolated. There may be ride sharing available, but only if you can adjust schedules to meet the other participants' needs. The other options is to sell your house and move closer to work or sell your Hummer and get something more fuel efficient. If the economy turns down due to oil being really expensive, the Hummer isn't too attractive to anyone and would be worth very little. Also, the house would be seen as a white elephant for the same reason. You'd take a big financial bath to be more energy efficient.
MKI wrote:
For this reason I disagree with CM "oil" is the "master resource" meme. Oil is merely the easiest and cheapest energy resource and people can't seem to grasp we can change rapidly. Why not just use nuclear and electric cars? Or NG cars? Or just cut back on driving? Man, are Americans greedy, but we could definitely use half our oil with probably twice the lifestyle. The linear graph of GDP and oil is merely "because we can" consume more oil with more GDP, not the other way around, oil causing GDP, like CM thinks. Look at Japan, a massive GDP with no oil at all.
Again, I'm not arguing that 'murikans couldn't cut back on our wasteful habits. I also think it would potentially increase happiness. (It has for me!) As a population, we've made bad decisions in the past and we can't just snap our fingers to correct those bad decisions. How long would it take to convert the current infernal combustion engine vehicles to any of the other sources? Would that be just another temporary solution that would require massive retooling once those resources reached their limits? Your point about Japan having a massive GDP without oil at all is ludicrous! Are you saying that Japan doesn't import any oil at all from anywhere? Where would they be if they couldn't import any oil or oil products from anywhere? Would they still have such a massive GDP?
MKI wrote:
Truth be told, human innovation is the real "master resource". The stone age didn't end due to lack of stones, it ended by us finding other useful things to replace the stones with. Rock oil replaced whale oil for lighting, which was then replaced by coal and electric lights, with lighting price falling exponentially even until now. Same way, rock oil will go out of fashion once it gets scarce enough. We just don't need it when we live smarter, not to mention we have too dang much coal, nuclear, NG, etc. when we finally deplete oil. Which isn't happening very rapidly...I'm a PE and foolishly guessed peak oil by at least 2020...boy have I proven to be a fool since no way that's happening. Why did I get fooled? Technology. It's flat-out amazing how cheap fracking and drilling has become in my career (I remember being all proud when drilling a 27M ft well in the '80s which set a North American record...which is today a pathetic joke, we drill those in our sleep). Technology advances, on all fronts, in drilling, production, and reduced consumption with more efficient consumption, it makes us all richer each day and needing less and less energy for the same quality of life.
You say that fracking and drilling is cheap today. You say that 27M ft well is a pathetic joke now. What would you consider a typical well length/depth today? Could you provide a rough quantity of various materials and approximate costs for such a well? How much of the material is recoverable and can be used as is in the next well? Otherwise, is there a rough percentage for salvage value recovery? It would be nice if you could rustle up a nice graph(s) showing oil recovery over time on a typical well. You know how many wells are out there (or have a good guess) and you know what the overall production is. You should be able to come up with something you consider reasonable that the rest of us would just be amazed at. Why do we focus on oil here? You are right that this country has lots of coal. I don't have a single vehicle that has a coal tank. Almost all the vehicles I see on the road have the same problem. Coal would be easier to use than nuclear. It would be easier to convert to NG, but NG isn't as commercially available or convenient as gas or diesel. Besides, the best time to convert is before it is needed. You say that you live in a small house in Anchorage. Do you bike/walk to work? What do you do with all your savings? (If you travel or have things delivered to your house, that has to be factored into your energy footprint.) If you just invest your money to grow it for whatever, shouldn't you consider the companies you invest in to be part of your footprint as well? For these reasons, the best gage I've found for an energy footprint is the amount of money one earns. The less one earns, the less one can waste. Grover

MKI,
Not to pile on put you really do seem oblivious to basic concepts underpinning peak oil theory and it’s impact on oil based economy ~ EROI, law of diminishing returns, Sunk costs and embodied energy of built infrastructure, Scalability of alternatives, role of debt, and economic constraints. How do we get to $200-500 price point when the economy breaks (demand destruction) closer to $100 oil? How do we fund ever increasing costly oil development that yields lower and lower net energy.
Could we survive on half of our oil budget and triage its use? Absolutely, but it would make the Great Depression look like a party. The notion that we will “never see economic crisis because of energy shortage” is magical thinking of the first order.
I would argue that we are in still in an unfolding economic crisis due to passing conventional oil peak circa 2005 and that the energy dynamics of peak cheap oil are integral to the whole house of cards debt economic bubble monstrosity that has been built and now teeters on the edge of collapse.
You really seem to be approaching this from a preconceived ideological frame of reference, assuming pure free market price signaling and effortlessly perfect substitution that would make Milton Friedman blush. Yet you ignore the centralized price setting, loss leading market share /geopolitical gamesmanship that is happening in the real world and the debt ponzi financing of the “shale miracle” that is a provably time limited production supply spike aberration and uneconomic at any price point that wouldn’t break the economy regardless.
Your testify to a religious like faith in progress and technology which is understandable given that is your entire life’s and vocational frame of reference, but which ignores laws of diminishing returns and history which shows that progress is not linear.
Finally you don’t seem to ever truly address the points you are given. You employ a number of fallacies in your arguments, the primary one being arguments of personal incredulity, i.e., You can’t imagine why something can’t be done therefore it must be doable. You respond to most counter arguments you are presented with by either ignoring them, applying techno worship platitudes, anecdotal non sequiturs or just flat out mindless misstatements of ‘fact’ such as:
“Look at Japan, a massive GDP with no oil at all.”
yeah, unless you count the approx 3.5 million BBL/day they import.
I give you points for consistency though!
Mememonkey

StoneAge-Batman.JPG
D Ray Long wrote:
Yes, it remains one of my pet peeves. Right up there with people pretending the phrase "running out of oil" has anything to do with Peak Oil (it doesn't), and smart people repeatedly saying "Energy Independence" when they really mean "Energy Security."And you know you've heard the pithy quote before:"The Stone Age didn't end for lack of stone, and the oil age will end long before the world runs out of oil."The quote is usually attributed to Saudi oil minister Sheik Ahmed Zaki Yamani in the 2005 New York Times article "The Breaking Point." And the quote is usually used by those looking to ridicule the concept of Peak Oil - suggesting that oil supply constraints are not and never will be a problem - that we can just sit back, relax, and let everything work itself out. But in recent years, it's also been used by renewable energy proponents to suggest a transition away from oil as Steven Chu did in his farewell letter to the Department of Energy .But the quote is really really stupid for two reasons. One obvious and one not so obvious.First, the obvious point that should embarrass anyone even attempting to shoe-horn this quote into their speech: PEOPLE DIDN'T BURN STONES FOR FUEL!!!Directly comparing stones to oil just because someone added the word "age" to both, is moronic .Second, each transition to a new energy source in human history was done from a lower energy dense fuel to a higher energy dense fuel. Wood gave way to Coal which gave way to Gas & Oil, and these transitions were made because the new fuel was BETTER.Of all the fuels known to man, oil represents the best combination of price, storage, transportability, safety, and energy density ever known. Transitioning from one fuel to another isn't easy, it takes time and effort. It's not like flipping a light switch. And it's made even harder when the transition is likely a step backwards from oil - a new concept to humans.When they say the oil age won't end for lack of oil, they're exactly right. But our policy choices will determine if the oil age ends smoothly or ends only through great challenge and hardship.

Re-reading my post above I meant '90s not '80s for that 27M ft well. Sry.

Grover,
I appreciate the conversation. You have a good handle on the energy issues unlike most folk not in the industry.
But I would appreciate not turning this convo about me because my personal situation is not relevant. But for transparency sake: I’m recently-retired 20 years oil (currently do investment partnerships & technical writing, like CM I did very well in the 2008 crash & don’t need to work). But yes, walked/biked to work & don’t drive much except to hunt/fish. I also actually own a large house but only live in a small part of it. But again, my personal situation is not relevant.
Regarding a transition out of oil once we hit peak production and costs finally get high? I agree it might be ugly at first (potential war). But I think a good analogy would be the 1920-30 dust bowl era, where while a lot of people got screwed and WWII followed. But a lot of people got rich also & GDP just kept marching up as we transitioned out of farming. Capitalism is always tough during economic transitions. But remember, we are very rich today in comparison to then. We eat, drive, and fly like kings…all due to technological advances. We could live with 1/10 our energy consumption and never notice a loss of GDP “quality of life”. Hell we would probably live better! We are on average what, 30# overweight? How many people are living in non-family situations with a huge housing footprint? This isn’t a high quality of life.
A older book to read on my economic thinking is “Knowledge and the Wealth of Nations” (Warsh). Many people on this site seem to get trapped in the old “Land, labor, Capital” meme of wealth generation (modified to “Land, Energy, Resources” in a Malthusian flashback). In reality, real wealth is generated by “People, Ideas, and Things” (this was mathematically demonstrated by Roper and others and it really holds true over time. It’s why we won’t notice oil or cars when they go the way of the Dodo. How much energy do we really need for a good life anyway? Look at a chart of the cost of lighting falling exmponentially every year of human history. We’ve just broke the human genome. Life just keeps getting easier for the naked ape as we understand our natural world (if we can just keep from killing each other…). Remember, we are now using less electricity for the first time in our history because we’re getting so efficient and just don’t need the increase anymore. We will not run out of energy. We will run out of work as machines to everything. Look how few people it takes to drill an oil well today. Driverless cars. Solar, Engine efficiency using computers. Communication. Digital revolution. Our problem is what to do when all the machines do our work for us…

MKI,
Your personal information is relevent if you reference your profession and leverage that to buttress your arguments absent actual data to back those arguments up. “I’ve worked as a petroleum engineer” is a statement designed to imply that you know more about the topic than anyone else here, and making such statements opens you up to people demanding to know more details about your supposed expertise. This is especially true when the statements you make run counter to what other experts (who have made the source of their expertise clear by being specific as to their careers, education, etc) are saying. You opened that can of worms. You also started off your comments initially by assaulting the data Chris and Gail discuss by using self-reinforcing fluffy statements rather than actual data. If you don’t back up your arguments with measurable, sourced, verifiable data, I don’t care if you have a red telephone hotline to God and a 175 IQ, and I think you’ll find most members of Peak Prosperity feel the same way. If you don’t back up your statements with actual sourced data, expect to be ignored.

As to your most recent post…I’d love to know where you base the statement “we are now using less electricity for the first time in history” from? Because I’m not seeing that supported by any data I can find. Outside minor fluctuations year to year, electricity and energy consumption in the nation seems around the same, and across the globe seems to be inexorably increasing as a whole.

Please, though, enlighten me. With data. Sourced.

-S

Snydeman: …expect to be ignored.
MKI: Please ignore me. I’ll return the favor. I’m confident you will find someone else to argue with.

MKI wrote:
Snydeman: ...expect to be ignored. MKI: Please ignore me. I'll return the favor. I'm confident you will find someone else to argue with.
WHERE'S THE BEEF??? SHOW US THE MONEY!!!! References please, to back up all of your statements, as others have already asked for 10 times. I made the wise choice to ignore you after my first post because it was clear you can't formulate a coherent argument, but I am impressed with the quality of the responses and critique given by Grover, mememonkey and Snydeman. Just wanted to say that. I didn't want to put in the effort to explain it because I saw it going nowhere, but they did.

Hi MK1,
I’m noticing the lack of something on this thread, and that’s The Crash Course series. It’s central to the tenets of Peak Prosperity - an exponential diagram built upon the physicals. Everybody you’re in conversation with, including a very patient Snydeman, Grover and Mememonkey etal, have digested its depths and studied hard to understand its dynamics.
The original version is the glue that made this site possible back 10 years ago. I note you’ve been a member since January 2009. Could this be something you’ve missed, I wonder?
Chapters 17a 17b and 17c : -

MKI: "In reality, real wealth is generated by “People, Ideas, and Things”
The abstract “idea” is sandwiched between two real items: “people” and “things”
real items… with real limits
MKI: “Life just keeps getting easier for the naked ape”
have you asked the ape? Then ask the other living things on this planet
MKI: “Look how few people it takes to drill an oil well today”
funny, it’s not getting cheaper. There’s more than one way to measure the “human cost”…and this energy has a lot of complex human cost

Mark_BC wrote:
MKI wrote:
Snydeman: ...expect to be ignored. MKI: Please ignore me. I'll return the favor. I'm confident you will find someone else to argue with.
WHERE'S THE BEEF??? SHOW US THE MONEY!!!! References please, to back up all of your statements, as others have already asked for 10 times. I made the wise choice to ignore you after my first post because it was clear you can't formulate a coherent argument, but I am impressed with the quality of the responses and critique given by Grover, mememonkey and Snydeman. Just wanted to say that. I didn't want to put in the effort to explain it because I saw it going nowhere, but they did.
Mark_BC, You are a wiser man than I. I suppose I figured that it's worth the effort here on PP, but I see that's not always the case. Live, learn, and move on.

It’s fascinating that MK1 sees this as an argument, when most of us probably see it as trying to explain the complexity of the universe to an adolescent who sees things in only the most basic ways.

MKI wrote:
Grover, I appreciate the conversation. You have a good handle on the energy issues unlike most folk not in the industry. But I would appreciate not turning this convo about me because my personal situation is not relevant. But for transparency sake: I'm recently-retired 20 years oil (currently do investment partnerships & technical writing, like CM I did very well in the 2008 crash & don't need to work). But yes, walked/biked to work & don't drive much except to hunt/fish. I also actually own a large house but only live in a small part of it. But again, my personal situation is not relevant.
MKI, I appreciate the compliment from you (and everyone else!) This conversation is a bit frustrating for me. I hope you understand that your position (that seamlessly transitioning out of oil) is a whole lot more appealing than my doom and gloom scenario. I'd really like to have a reason to adopt your view. Unfortunately, I'm only getting hopium from you. I've asked you many questions to give you a platform for launching a great oratory ... but you choose to answer a throw-away question I posed that was intended to get you thinking about the situation of people like us and how it will impact us. I'd much rather that you counter Chris' argument of oil being the master resource (which I've bought into) with good arguments supported by strong data. Your petroleum industry insight here would winnow the chaff for the rest of us. I sincerely hope this request makes sense to you.
MKI wrote:
Regarding a transition out of oil once we hit peak production and costs finally get high? I agree it might be ugly at first (potential war). But I think a good analogy would be the 1920-30 dust bowl era, where while a lot of people got screwed and WWII followed. But a lot of people got rich also & GDP just kept marching up as we transitioned out of farming. Capitalism is always tough during economic transitions. But remember, we are very rich today in comparison to then. We eat, drive, and fly like kings...all due to technological advances. We could live with 1/10 our energy consumption and never notice a loss of GDP "quality of life". Hell we would probably live better! We are on average what, 30# overweight? How many people are living in non-family situations with a huge housing footprint? This isn't a high quality of life.
There was a lot going on in the 1920s, but the dust bowl wasn't part of it. There may have been dry periods, but the "dust bowl" was mid 1930s-1940. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_Bowl. The 1920s were more characterized by optimism fueled by the federal reserve's flexible money that was 40% backed by gold. That backing level allowed for 2.5 times as much money as there was gold to back it. There was lots of funny money to fund all the great ideas. When confidence was high, people preferred to keep their money in the bank and use foldable paper money. It's when fear overcame the greed that people wanted their gold out of the bank. The 40% backing insured that there wasn't enough gold to meet the demand. Imagine being in a long line at a bank to withdraw your money (gold) as promised ... only to find out that all the gold is gone. Would that instill more fear or robust confidence? During the '20s, lots of innovations and new technology flooded the market place. Tractors reduced the need for farm workers, so lots of the displaced farm workers moved to the city to find jobs. There was money to build factories and employ these people building things. Industrialists made a lot of money in the process. By today's standards, they shared quite a bit with their workers. It was a magic combination of ideas, funding, available labor, optimism to organize it, and energy to run the equipment. Greed was good, flappers flapped, and the sky was the limit. What could possibly go wrong? Then, the depression hit. The ideas didn't seem such a sure path to the gold paved streets. Funding vanished. Available labor skyrocketed. Optimism turned to pessimism. The energy to run the equipment was still there. It was a scary time. Would-be leaders saw the angst and fear and worked to organize those emotions to their benefit. FDR tapped into that angst. He instituted the beginnings of the socialism that is bankrupting us today. His policies lengthened and deepened the depression. WWII was really his only remaining option to get us out of the depression. (If he had insisted that his kin fight on the front lines, I'd have more (at least some) respect for him.)
MKI wrote:
A older book to read on my economic thinking is "Knowledge and the Wealth of Nations" (Warsh). Many people on this site seem to get trapped in the old "Land, labor, Capital" meme of wealth generation (modified to "Land, Energy, Resources" in a Malthusian flashback). In reality, real wealth is generated by "People, Ideas, and Things" (this was mathematically demonstrated by Roper and others and it really holds true over time. It's why we won't notice oil or cars when they go the way of the Dodo. How much energy do we really need for a good life anyway? Look at a chart of the cost of lighting falling exmponentially every year of human history. We've just broke the human genome. Life just keeps getting easier for the naked ape as we understand our natural world (if we can just keep from killing each other...). Remember, we are now using less electricity for the first time in our history because we're getting so efficient and just don't need the increase anymore. We will not run out of energy. We will run out of work as machines to everything. Look how few people it takes to drill an oil well today. Driverless cars. Solar, Engine efficiency using computers. Communication. Digital revolution. Our problem is what to do when all the machines do our work for us...
Land, labor, and capital VS people, ideas, and things. I'm not really sure there is any distinction here. Capital can buy land, things, and rent people's labor to transform ideas into products that generate more money. Isn't our current situation somewhat rhyming the 1920s? Back then, radio was the new idea. Today, we have smart appliances. Soon, self driving cars will be reality. Robots and artificial intelligence are improving by leaps and bounds. When the depression hit, labor was in surplus. Every day, we hear of innovations that make human labor more efficient (by eliminating other human labor positions.) We'll hit the zenith (our nadir) when machines can invent/build machines to replace the few tasks left for humans. Do we want to hope that artificial intelligence progresses to the point that humans become simply "worthless eaters"? (That certainly answers what we'll do when the machines do all our work.) I don't expect the definitive answer for that question for perhaps a decade or so. When the depression hit, new leaders emerged by channeling the people's angst and fear for their own purposes. Will we have the same thing when this great GDP enhancing experiment topples? Who knows? One thing that is certain is that machines need energy to do work. So do we. Unless a machine is designed to accept different types of energy, the available energy source needs to be converted to a usable type. We're no different. On average, we convert 10 calories of fossil fuels to make 1 calorie of food. That's because we use all these machines in the process of growing/processing/transporting our food. Just like bacteria in a Petri dish, we've grown our population because of the extra food. When energy is cheap and available, it makes sense to leverage the advantage that fossil fuels offer. There's a huge problem if sufficient energy isn't available to fuel the machines that our very existence depends upon. From everything I'd read, seen, and heard, the earth has an essentially finite amount of fossil fuels in it. Of the fossil fuels, petroleum has properties that make it the most valuable to run our machinery. Most of it is uneconomical to extract given current technology. It is highly unlikely that technology will ever advance enough to make extracting every last drop feasible. (As such, I agree with you that we'll never run out.) Meanwhile, we have many, many machines that do our bidding as long as the proper amount/type of fuel is provided. Retooling those machines to use a different type of fuel would be prohibitively expensive. We are unlikely to recognize the need for this massive retooling until it is too late to do so - fossil fuels will suddenly become too expensive/unavailable. You sit in a mental technological cornucopia, yet you won't (or can't) convince any of us that our fears are just that. It takes data and logic to do so. Your shared data (so far) is nonexistent and your logic isn't even that good. As I said at the beginning of this post, I'm frustrated. I'm afraid that I've plumbed the depths of your knowledge, skills, and abilities. If you can't prove your points, I'm chalking my participation up to wasted energy. No use wasting any more on you. Please prove me wrong. Grover

I love technology, until it doesn’t work as good.There’s a hole 6 miles west of me that goes down 1800 meters, angles horizontally over 300 meters and continues another 900 meters laterally. Fracked? yes. Producing? yes.Making good money? Noticed the price of oil today?
Atlantic #3).
Does this graph suggest anything?

It pretty much has to be Seneca Cliff type graph because of the increase in population. The number of people using fossil fuels is not the same at the top of the graph as it was at the beginning of the use in 1850.

Well is Art Berman is the only person you listen to then from everything you are saying you disagree with his point that - Shale oil is a retirement party -

We’ll be recording a podcast interview with Art Berman next week.
Will be released a week from this Sunday.
Figured we could spare folks from speculating on Art’s views and just hear from the man himself…
:slight_smile:

Grover wrote:
You sit in a mental technological cornucopia, yet you won't (or can't) convince any of us that our fears are just that. It takes data and logic to do so. Your shared data (so far) is nonexistent and your logic isn't even that good. As I said at the beginning of this post, I'm frustrated. I'm afraid that I've plumbed the depths of your knowledge, skills, and abilities. If you can't prove your points, I'm chalking my participation up to wasted energy. No use wasting any more on you. Please prove me wrong. Grover
Grover, I don't want to quote your entire post for the sake of space, but I wanted to say that your overall approach to MKI has been quite masterfully done, and I've learned a few things about how to approach this level of ignorant intractability in the future. If there was a "Peak Prosperity Emmy" given out every year, I'd sure as hell be nominating you for it this year. There have been simply a brilliant series of responses from multiple members on this thread, but yours shine among them. Mememonkey gets honorable mention for "best meme," which is appropriate given his screen name.

If ever we cross paths at one of these conferences held by PP, I’m buying you a beer, or the equivalent thereof.

-Snydeman