Harvey Organ: Get Physical Gold & Silver!

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to share with everyone that I’ve been in touch with Jeff Christian via e-mail. He doesn’t have time or interest to follow every nuance of this thread, and I don’t blame him for that. However, he agrees that Victor’s question is an excellent one, and he has agreed to write a response here when his schedule permits.

My impression is that Jeff is pretty busy this week. My best guess is that we can expect his reply on this topic sometime this coming weekend. EDIT: He responded only an hour after I posted this. See below.

All the best,

Erik

Erik,
you write

he simple answer is the price goes up until there is enough metal to go around.

I think this is not true.

First, think about gold banking. This is completely analogous to banking with dollars. Here is a simplified picture: The assets of the bank are outstanding loans and cash in the vault. The liabilities are the account balances of the customers and the bank’s equity and capital reserve. The cash in the vault is called "reserve". The "reserve ratio" is the amount of cash in the vault divided by the amount of loans outstanding.

The problem with banking is that you can have a run on the bank in which the account holders no longer trust the bank to be able to let them withdraw cash (because they suspect that loans went bad or because they suspect the bank cannot call in some long-term loans quickly enough). In this case, the customers line up at the teller window and withdraw cash from their accounts until the bank runs out of reserves and has to close.

Important: Even if the cutomers are lining up to withdraw cash, this does not mean that cash rises in price, and it does not mean that cash commands a premium over an account balance.

This goes on until the bank is out of reserves and has to close. At that moment, cash still has its usual value, but all remaining account balances are worth zero. Note that the bank is never short dollars and never long dollars.

Bullion banking is exactly analogous. Allocated gold is cash. Unallocated gold is an account balance. A gold loan is a loan. The reserve of the bank is physical gold in the vault.

If you get a run on a bullion bank, this proceeds entirely analogous to a run on the bank. The holders of unallocated gold request allocation and drain reserves (physical bullion) from the bank. At no point in time is there a premium on allocated gold over unallocated gold. At no point in time is there a reason for the gold price to rise. This goes on until the bullion bank is out of reserves and has to close. At that point, physical gold is worth the same as before, but all remaining unallocated balances are worth zero. Not that the bullion bank is never short gold nor long gold.

Important: There is no reason to expect a short squeeze. There is no reason to expect the gold price to rise when that happens.

Now on the futures market, say COMEX. For simplicity, let’s assume that there is exactly one market maker. The speculators are either long or short the future, and in order to keep the example simple, let’s assume that each speculator has the market maker as a specified counterparty of their contract.

This is equivalent to gold banking plus dollar banking as follows:

If a speculator goes long the future, this is the same as

1. buying physical gold at spot, and

2. lending the gold to the market maker and borrowing dollars (a swap) until maturity of the future

If a speculator goes short the future, this is the same as

1. selling physical gold at spot, and

2. borrowing phsical gold from the market maker and lending him dollars (a swap) until matirity of the future

You see that the market maker can view the futures market as gold banking. The market maker lends and borrows gold, and he lends and borrows dollars, always for a fixed term.

This tells me that a run on the COMEX would work exactly in the same way as a run on a bullion bank. In particular, this means that there is no reason to expect a price rise and no reason to expect a premium on physical gold over paper gold.

Should this ever happen, the market maker would probably try to borrow gold from someone else in order to compensate for the maturity mismatch. This is why you see the lease rate increase whenever the banks are running short of physical gold reserve. Well, the lease rate is not what is usually quoted. What’s quoted is GOFO, the swap rate.

Sincerely,

Victor

You said,
"If you get a run on a bullion bank, this proceeds entirely analogous to a run on the bank. The holders of unallocated gold request allocation and drain reserves (physical bullion) from the bank. At no point in time is there a premium on allocated gold over unallocated gold. At no point in time is there a reason for the gold price to rise."

Victor… I have been nice throughout this thread… but what you say here is utter, unadulterated Bullshit.  When there is a run on the (nonbullion) bank… The FED can run a truckload of freshly printed money out to the bank post haste… but when there is a run on the physical metal of the few bullion banks… .there IS NO PRINTING PRESS to refresh it… only the slow and steady pulse of freshly mined metal… which does NOT BELONG TO THE BANK at that point in time… but could… if the bullion bank could come up with the $$ to pay the (now rising) price for more.  

You forgot that one little point. 

Victor,
I apparently did a poor job of deliniating my views vis a vis the futures market vs. unallocated bullion accounts. We are closer to agreement than you think! Specifically:

[quote=victorthecleaner]
Erik,
you write
he simple answer is the price goes up until there is enough metal to go around.
I think this is not true.
First, think about gold banking. This is completely analogous to banking with dollars. Here is a simplified picture: The assets of the bank are outstanding loans and cash in the vault. The liabilities are the account balances of the customers and the bank’s equity and capital reserve. The cash in the vault is called "reserve". The "reserve ratio" is the amount of cash in the vault divided by the amount of loans outstanding.
The problem with banking is that you can have a run on the bank in which the account holders no longer trust the bank to be able to let them withdraw cash (because they suspect that loans went bad or because they suspect the bank cannot call in some long-term loans quickly enough). In this case, the customers line up at the teller window and withdraw cash from their accounts until the bank runs out of reserves and has to close.
Important: Even if the cutomers are lining up to withdraw cash, this does not mean that cash rises in price, and it does not mean that cash commands a premium over an account balance.
This goes on until the bank is out of reserves and has to close. At that moment, cash still has its usual value, but all remaining account balances are worth zero. Note that the bank is never short dollars and never long dollars.
Bullion banking is exactly analogous. Allocated gold is cash. Unallocated gold is an account balance. A gold loan is a loan. The reserve of the bank is physical gold in the vault.
If you get a run on a bullion bank, this proceeds entirely analogous to a run on the bank. The holders of unallocated gold request allocation and drain reserves (physical bullion) from the bank. At no point in time is there a premium on allocated gold over unallocated gold. At no point in time is there a reason for the gold price to rise. This goes on until the bullion bank is out of reserves and has to close. At that point, physical gold is worth the same as before, but all remaining unallocated balances are worth zero. Not that the bullion bank is never short gold nor long gold.[/quote]
I agree with you in the case of unleveraged, fully paid-up fractionalized unallocated bullion bank accounts. In that case, it works exactly as you describe, although I suspect that long before "the bank is out of reserves", they would make a phone call to regulators and ask for and receive government intervention, e.g. a bullion banking holiday, if you will.
The place where we may still disagree, and the origin of my statement "if there is not enough bullion to go around, the price goes up until there is" statement, is the leveraged futures market. One of the favorite goldbug memes is "Some day all the longs in the futures market will stand for delivery, the COMEX will default, and physical prices will decouple from paper". There are many reasons this is a silly argument, starting with the fact that only a very small percentage of the futures longs have the capital to stand for delivery in the first place. But if they did, what would happen is shorts would be assigned for delivery, and if the shorts who got assigned didn’t have the metal to deliver, they would have to buy it on the spot market, causing the spot price to rise. That rise in price would be transmitted via arbitrage to the futures market, until either the shorts had enough metal to deliver, or the longs saw high enough prices to make them want to cash-settle, or some combination of the two. That’s why I said the outcome when there is not enough physical to go around would be that prices rise until there is enough to go around.

[quote=Victor]Important: There is no reason to expect a short squeeze. There is no reason to expect the gold price to rise when that happens.[/quote]
The reason I disagree is that if a run on bullion accounts begins, at least initially the bullion banks would need to start buying physical on the spot market to cover their obligations. That’s where the price rise comes from - bullion banks that are operating at 8 - 10% reserve ratio might estimate, for sake of example, that the formative run is going to draw physical out of 20% of their accounts. In an attempt to shore up confidence, the bank would in that situation use other assets to double their reserves (buying on the spot), hoping to avert a full-on bank run. That’s where the price rise comes from. When the run gets fully established and it becomes clear that delivering to the first few guys who ask for allocation isn’t going to shore up confidence, the bullion banks probably stop buying at that point and ask for a holiday from regulators while they try to figure out what to do next.

[quote=Victor]Now on the futures market, say COMEX. For simplicity, let’s assume that there is exactly one market maker. The speculators are either long or short the future, and in order to keep the example simple, let’s assume that each speculator has the market maker as a specified counterparty of their contract.
This is equivalent to gold banking plus dollar banking as follows:
If a speculator goes long the future, this is the same as

1. buying physical gold at spot, and
  2. lending the gold to the market maker and borrowing dollars (a swap) until maturity of the future
    If a speculator goes short the future, this is the same as
  3. selling physical gold at spot, and
  4. borrowing phsical gold from the market maker and lending him dollars (a swap) until matirity of the future
    You see that the market maker can view the futures market as gold banking. The market maker lends and borrows gold, and he lends and borrows dollars, always for a fixed term.
    This tells me that a run on the COMEX would work exactly in the same way as a run on a bullion bank. In particular, this means that there is no reason to expect a price rise and no reason to expect a premium on physical gold over paper gold.[/quote]
    I disagree. In the run-on-the-COMEX scenario, the commercial shorts have some bullion (that’s why they have the luxury of being able to keep the contract open past the first notice date), but they don’t have enough to cover ALL their short contracts. We know all the longs can never stand for delivery because they don’t have the money, but let’s assume as many as possible do stand for delivery, and that results in the commercial shorts getting more delivery assignments than they have bullion to settle with. Now they either need to buy back the contracts as fast as they can to avoid more delivery notices (upward price pressure on the futures themselves), or they have to buy bullion on the spot to cover the huge delivery demand (upward pressure on the spot price). Either way, the price pressure is to the upside.
    Perhaps this is the crux of why we seem to disagree: On the other hand, if the commercial shorts really do have enough bullion to satisfy all the delivery notices they receive, without having to go get more bullion to meet that obligation, then in that (unrealistic?) case, I would agree with you: The shorts deliver from their bullion stock and there’s no upward price pressure. I just don’t see that scenario as realistic.
    All the best,
    Erik

Jim and Erik,
if you just have a run on the bank, and the bank cannot call in the oustanding loans quickly enough, you would not get a price rise. They would simply run out of reserves and one day stop trading. You get a price rise only if there is some short who had price exposure (i.e. was naked short) and is getting squeezed.

Now if you have a situation at the COMEX in which the majority of shorts is producers, but the majority of longs is speculators and only 1/10th of the longs are strong hands who go for delivery, the price can even drop if the speculative longs try to liquidate (even though there is the 10th that stands for delivery and that eventually drains off the reserves).

So again, nobody guarantees you a short squeeze. I do find the standard recommendations by people from Sprott to Turk irresponsible because they make their investors greedy for the big short squeeze. It might never happen. But if the market runs out of reserves and the bullion market is forced to settle in cash at the previous London fixing, all those goldbugs who invested in gold related financial products, will be left in the cold. In this case, only physical gold in your possession will do.

Finally let’s add the next layer to the story. The bullion banks are flat, they are neither short nor long gold. So what can they do if they face a run on their reserve? Purchasing bullion for US$ alone will not work because they are banks and don’t want to go long. But they can borrow gold. Technically this would be a swap, i.e. they lend US$ and receive gold as the collateral. For example, they could purchase spot gold and at the same time sell the forward. For the term of this loan, they can use the gold in order to satisfy allocation requests. (And then they need to call in outstanding loans so that they can return the borrowed gold when the swap matures).

If everyone does this at the same time, this would push gold into backwardation. So, yes, you would see the spot price increase and the futures prices collapse.

So the only spot price increase you get is because the term structure starts to invert, not because of a short squeeze! Take a look at November 2008. The market went into backwardation on Nov 20 and 21, but the total increase in the spot price was merely some 10% over that month. Well, we know the market survived, but that’s still pretty lame for the short squeeze that is announced by the gold bugs. Similarly Sept 29 and 30 in 1999. This was the Washington Agreement and would have probably killed the London market had the BoE not intervened. Again, the price increase was less than 20%.

Sincerely,

Victor

[quote=victorthecleaner]Jim and Erik,
if you just have a run on the bank, and the bank cannot call in the oustanding loans quickly enough, you would not get a price rise. They would simply run out of reserves and one day stop trading. You get a price rise only if there is some short who had price exposure (i.e. was naked short) and is getting squeezed.[/quote]
Victor, you keep saying that they would just run out of reserves and stop. That doesn’t make sense to me - if there is a run, the remaining unallocated longs demanding delivery won’t go away. In that case the bank needs to either acquire more metal or call in a favor from regulators and ask for a banking holiday. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a clause in some of the unallocated account agreements allowing them to cash-settle with longs requesting delivery at the most recent fix , but that’s just a guess on my part. In any case, Victor, your discussion seems to ignore the question of what happens to the remaining unallocated longs when the bank runs out of reserves. Am I missing something?

Now this is a really excellent point I hadn’t thought of until one of your earlier posts. If the day comes when "all the futures longs decide to stand for delivery", what that will really mean is that they SELL 90% of their long position, so as to be able to stand for delivery of the amount of metal equal to the amount of money they actually have. All the spec longs selling 90% of their holdings all at once so they can stand for delivery of the rest would definitely shock the market to the downside. Or perhaps more likely, would create an unusual moderation of the big upward price move underway that led people to conclude it was time to get out and exchange their profits for physical metal.

Victor, what’s wrong with you? Don’t you listen to King World News? The big short squeeze comes when wealthy Asian investors decide to put the squeeze on the evil-doing bankers. Didn’t you know? Besides, that’s how we do it here in Asia. When we want to orchestrate a short squeeze, we don’t employ the element of surprise for maximum effect, the way you would do it in America. No. We tell Andrew Maguire all about it months in advance so that he can telegraph our intentions to retail investors! Didn’t you know that?
Erik

Victor,
Your argument about a bullion bank expereincing a run on their fractionally reserved unallocated accounts to the point where they simply run out of physical - close up shop and the price of physical isnt effected is ridiculous.  No offense intended, but, your argument is preposterous.  Here’s why…

Lets pretend that the bullion bank in question is Kitco, and their unallocated accounts are demanding delivery of physical metal which is putting Kitco under great stress.  With each day that goes by, they are losing more and more physical until they simply close their doors (classic bank run scenario).  Your position is that it occurs in a vacuum and the spot/futures markets in gold are unaffected.

What you are missing is that if that was to occur, you can bet your life that a great percentage of other unallocated account holders in various funds are going to perk up and pay attention and that a sizeable amount of them are going to also take delivery or at the very least, seek to allocate their positions so they at least hold title to their gold.

News of a run on gold in an unallocated fund would spread like wildfire and would surely trigger a mass exodus from unallocated accounts.

Your failure to address this obvious ramification is the basis for my calling your argument preposterous.

Switching gears…

Yes, I agree that many of the longs dont have the financial wherewithal to demand delivery as they are highly leveraged and only seeking cash settlement anyways - their intent isnt to take delivery.

However, it stands to reason that at some point in the future (near or far who knows) there are going to be other pension fund managers that are going to arrive at the same conclusions that Kyle Bass has and seek to take physical delivery of gold through the COMEX.  It is even reasonable to assume that a day may come when CFO’s at major corporations seek to hedge their cash positions with some physical gold (think what would happen if Apple decided to plow 10% of their cash into physical gold as a hedge).

COMEX operates on the assumption that very few longs will stand for delivery.  That is a fatally flawed assumption when the likes of Kyle Bass come to play.

I am still not sure that the parties currently discussing hypothetical gold-price scenarios agree on the conditions that "causes all the longs to liquidate" (though I think I have now clarified that only 1/Nth or more need to stand, and others liquidating in the discussed scenario).  There is analysis of what might happen once the process begins, but I think the environment matters, and here is why.The economy and all within it are a complex system in which there are risks that people try to manage.  Provided that that system, including rule of law, contract enforcement, etc remain functional in the current mode of operation, mechanisms that exist within the system for managing risk might well be effective, but should elements of the system stop functioning for some reason, the "rules" no longer apply.  In the scenarios discussed, I am not sure there is agreement on the state of rule of law, solvency of governments and large banks, etc. that precipates a large fraction of gold futures (or option, or unallocated acct) holders to stand for delivery.
"For example, if total gold liability exposure is X tons of gold, the bank might hold 1/20th or 1/50th of X in physical bullion, but might also be long a sufficient number of futures and forwards to hedge price risk. So if the price spikes out of control, on paper the bank is covered because they already locked in their price for enough bullion to cover all their obligations if they ever had to. If we apply accepted accounting practices, this scenario makes the bank look squaky-clean: They are fully hedged and have no price risk whatsoever. Unless, that is, the system melts down and the counterparty to their hedge trasaction doesn’t deliver, in which case you get the domino-effect that was feared if AIG had defaulted in 2008."
Exactly.  One needs to be explicit about the counter-party risk environment before one can discuss price-discovery mechanisms and pricing.  Given Jeff’s comments on the lack of regulation of many players, we have justification for being nervous.
Victor, I think Jim has a good point about gold vs fiat in your banking analogies, and Erik above points out that we must consider the remaining longs (or bank creditors) beyond the reserve ratio.  Your assertion that pricing does not change in the case of bank runs may be false, and even more so in the case of the gold analogy.  You cannot draw a box around the bank and its creditors and consider it in isolation if you want to have the model reflect reality.  People make the same mistake about the second law of thermodynamics, and use it when inapplicable.
Since, in our current system (haha), currency is created whenever someone enters into debt with a bank, and destroyed whenever someone retires a loan, when bank runs are occuring (massive withdrawls and either voluntary or involuntary retiring of debt), the money supply is contracting.  If we are to believe the monetarists who subscribe to the quantity theory of money, then that reduction of money supply rapidly has an effect on prices denominated in the currency in question.  This is the deflationary scenario in which prices decline as money supply shrinks.  So prices do change (if we believe the monetarists).  The value of money increases.  If the frac-gold-bank analogy were perfect, then the same would apply there, ie the value of gold would increase under the same conditions.  I believe your example requires that none of the withdrawn assets be used to pay down debt, else money supply changes and thus prices.  The gold-bank equivalent would be that none of the delivered gold would be used to satisfy leasing obligations.  Please correct me if you feel I am wrong in this.
The analogy is also not perfect, as Jim points out, because of the difference in the nature of the goods in the bank/market.  One good, fiat currency, is created and destroyed at man’s whim.  The other, gold, is not.  Both can and have served as place-holders for the money-concept, ie as currency, and co-temporaneously as well.  Both can be hoarded and dis-hoarded to act as demand and supply to the market, but the goods are different in nature, and man, who is the arbiter of value in the market, understands this difference, and, all else equal, will impart greater money-value to the good that is less easily created or destroyed.  Further, in the case of fiat, we operate under a coercive system in which a very small subsegment of society is (madness!) entitled to enter into debt (and expand the supply of fiat currency) on behalf of the rest of society, and there is little feedback-coupling to this segment - negative consequence for bankers in our current limited-liability-and-insured-frac/Fed/BIS central system is almost non-existent, so the net incentive for excess is everywhere.
"The big problem I see there is that bankers tend to think in terms of what allows them to manage perceived risk according to the accounting rules imposed on them, not true risk if the system melted down."
Yes.  One needs to differentiate in one’s analysis whether one is thinking inside-the-box/system, or outside it, i.e. once natural cause and effect are again free to exert their influence on markets.  There is uncertainty in nature.  For the last hundred years or so we have in our hubris assumed that we were smart enough to create organizations that could reduce net, overall, long-term risk.  We were wrong.  LTCM is a grand example, and Victor may be right that we were closer to a system-reset then than in 2008.  The most effective way to deal with uncertainty is through emergent-self-organized spontaneous order, which requires freedom, not coercion.  I stand with Mandlebrot, Taleb and others in this assertion.
Erik, I think your final conclusion above is flawed:  "If the day comes when ‘all the futures longs decide to stand for delivery’ [ed: note it just requires >1/Nth], what that will really mean is that they SELL 90% of their long position, so as to be able to stand for delivery of the amount of metal equal to the amount of money they actually have. All the spec longs selling 90% of their holdings all at once so they can stand for delivery of the rest would definitely shock the market to the downside."
I think that is a very specific example, and not at all likely, but, again, one must agree on preconditions in hypothetical analysis, and I think you mistake market leverage for account margin requirements in that (unless, by coincidence, you are talking about both 10% physical reserves and a 10% fiat-margin requirement imposed by the clearing-house).
I think the scenario being discussed is "strong longs standing" ie those who have 100% fiat backing for their gold positions, and not the historical situation in which highly-margined speculative long players are forced to liquidate under price-pressure.  Erik I think you were closer to the truth when you suggested prices would move until the market cleared.
Victor, I think the preconditions you have in mind are some sort of exogenous event in which weak speculative long gold players also have exposure elsewhere, and in some financial crisis seek to liquidate their long gold positions to cover other obligations at the same time as the "strong longs" are standing.  I think you are right that there could be a tug of war going on in that case, but I am not sure we can easily predict who wins, and therefore which way prices move.  It depends on lots of factors, so you’d have to elaborate on assumptions to get agreement here I think.
Erik, I shouldn’t take the sarcasm bait, but I and a large and growing contingent of society believe that the bankers will, ultimately, be meted justice and sanity in our money and our markets will return, and this very blog discussion is evidence of that.  How exactly, and when?  Anyone’s guess.
best regards,
bbacq

Victor
I appreciate your contributions, but you have fundamental errors in your description of a bank’s balance sheet, that go beyond keeping it simple. The parts I high-lighted show you do not understand this matter.

Assets = Loans and cash. However, cash includes accounts with the bank’s own money. Only a minimal fraction is “currency” or “folding money” kept in a vault.

Liabilities = Deposits owned by the customers.

Equity = The bank’s capital, plus cash owned by the bank that is specifically allocated by law as a reserve for bad loans, plus retained earnings not yet allocated for expenses, reserves, or capital.

Wikipedia has an article with a sample balance sheet that explains more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_reserve_banking#Example_of_a_bank_balance_sheet_and_financial_ratios

Travlin

Travlin, though I am sure Victor can defend his own position, I believe it is the case that in the interest of expediency in the analogy he has summarized things so.  We clashed swords on balance-sheet definitions over at tf, and the points were clarified.  I believe Victor will clarify that "cash in the vault" in his example includes bits on balances in certain accounts in computers.  I have posted elsewhere that there is effectively no monetary difference between bits and paper, and why.  I believe the bank analogy stands, and is at least useful for thinking about reserve ratios and the physical call option (though, as I discuss above, we may disagree as to the degree of market-isolation in which can consider the analogy valid, ie I hold that bank runs are deflationary).I’d like to add that if the folks running the board here would rather I did not provide links to other sites, I would be happy to provide quotations here instead.  It is not my intent to coopt this thread, drive trafiic to other sites, or anything else sinister like that.  I have just covered some of this ground before, and simply wish that more people understood the truth about Life, the Universe, and Everything, rest Douglas Adam’s soul…
bbacq

I suggest those interested in the debate on what money is, and what might happen to gold etc to have a read of an article recently published on ZeroHedge by Jeff Snider.
"If the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist, the greatest trick our central bank ever pulled was convincing the world we couldn’t live without it."  Kudos to Jeff…(with whom I have no affiliation)

Jeff goes on to explain the nature of the market’s systematic ability to limit monetary excess in a private, decentralized banking model, and he echoes thoughts I first read in "Competiton in Currencies", a collection of articles published by the Cato Institute long ago.  His thoughts are not new, but are expressed in a delightfully articulate fashion, with modern references.  Jeff clearly understands the complexity of the problem of what to use to represent the concept of money in our economies, and its simple solution.

That the best monetary tradeoff lies in maximising freedom and limiting coercion is not obvious to many.  I have been posting links to "I, Pencil" over at tfmetals as a good place to start, as appreciating the message therein requires admitting that we are no longer "in control" of even the most basic means for our sustenance and daily life, and that that is a good thing!  If we were "in control", we would be far fewer, living in squalor and misery in a much simpler world that we could understand.  It is only by abandoning attempts at global control and instead focussing only on our own interests - ie through freedom -  that economic specialization has produced its bounty for mankind.

All the arguments about specific pricing mechanisms and levels and banks and regulation etc etc in the end come down to one very simple moral dichotomy, as most eloquently expressed by Bastiat in the 1850s when he said: 

"All that I have aimed at is to put you on the right track, and make you acquainted with the truth that all legitimate interests are in harmony." [emphasis is Bastiat’s, though I would have put it in bold 40-point]

Of the two sides that either agree or disagree with this statement, respectively, he adds:

"In the one case, we must seek for the solution in Liberty - in the other, in Constraint.  In the one case we have only to be passive - in the other, we must necessarily offer opposition."

Central banks, sanctioned by our governments, have for a hundred years coercively imposed upon us fiat currency, a regime of spectacular failure-to-deliver of equity to the common man. (I hope y’all catch the DTCC-double-entendre. :wink:

Every individual is on one or the other side of Bastiat’s dichotomy.  Either one sides with the central planners and bankers, and thinks it is right and moral and good to coerce others, or one sides with the contingent advocating a return to sound money, ie freedom and competing gold-backed currencies.  I suppose one could try to argue that legitimacy is unknowable, but that is silly and pedantic sophistry in my opinion.

I know which way this monetary argument will finally swing, that fiat and central banking dies, I just don’t know when or how exactly.  I personally would rather it happens sooner, because I understand that the longer a complex system is held against its true nature, the more disruptive will be the return to normalcy and a deeper societal appreciation of Bastiat’s simple principle.  I am delighted that sites and discussions like this exist, so that more people can learn the truth about all this stuff.  Bless the internet!

bbacq

Thoughts on why a run on the BBs, and even on the COMEX, may not necessarily lead to higher prices:
Continue victor’s analogy of Bullion Banks as fractional-reserved fiat currency banks.

A run on the BBs is like a run on currency reserves.

Futures contracts are not like bank accounts. They are like CDs with a defined maturity date, where the holder does not have the option for early termination. So say you have such a CD and you see a line around the block in front of your bank. What do you do? Do you get in line? No, of course not, because even if you made it to the front of the line, your contract stipulates that you will get no cash from the bank that day.

What you do instead is you sell your CD on the open market, for a loss, because you know that you cannot get your cash today and you fear that the bank may not be there to deliver the cash when the CD expires. This is why futures longs may liquidate and the paper price of gold may collapse even when the physical reserves are being run. Because the ability of the contract to deliver the underlying physical good has been shown suspect, and so the contract itself is worth less / worthless.

So, Erik T, the paper price would not collapse because leveraged longs will liquidate 90% of their positions so they can take delivery of the final 10%. Rather the paper longs will liquidate 100% of their positions because a) those interested in paper profits will be showing a large paper loss and will want to get out of their positions and b) those interested in procuring physical gold will realize that the futures market is not a viable place to do so.

Now back to unallocated accounts at the bullion banks, and back to the fiat-bank analogy. The unallocated account holders are like the savings account holders at a currency bank. If you had a savings account at a bank and you saw the line around the block, you would jump in for sure. Because you know that, if you get to the front of the line, you might get your cash out. If you don’t make it to the front of the line you will be wiped out!

At least this was how it worked in the 1930’s, when the dollar was pegged to gold and there was no option for running the printing press. You either got your cash or you got nothing.

Now apply this to a BB. There was a run on the physical reserve and the bank shut its doors (how is that different from a ‘bank holiday’ anyways?). Do unallocated account holders bid up the price of gold? No, they are wiped out, now at the mercy of the bankruptcy proceedings.

Does the bank bid up the price of gold? It will probably try to borrow gold, as victor said, but why would it buy gold?

Not only ‘why would the bank buy gold’, but would it even be able to?Picture again the 30’s american bank going under due to a run. Why didn’t they just buy more currency? 
Because they don’t have the liquidity. The have loans as assets on their books, and if they couldn’t call them in or sell them for cash then they had no other recourse to try to raise the cash to stem the run.
It could very well be likewise with the BBs. When the physical reserves run out, that’s it; either the bank sells its loan book, calls in loans, or goes bust. There’s no massive currency stockpile waiting to be deployed to aquire more physical reserves.

A couple of more points (sorry for the multiple posts). Bullet points only because they lack coherency:- Think about Exter’s pyramid. Where do unallocated gold accounts go? USD? COMEX gold futures? Physical gold?

• The trouble is that right now all different forms and contracts for ‘gold’ trade at par. Should we see a run on the BBs, this will no longer be the case. The paper price we are used to seeing on kitco will collapse, but when someone calls a bank for an OTC gold order at that price they will be laughed at. It will be terribly confusing!
    - In the 1930’s when banks suffered runs, there was price deflation aka appreciation of cash. But CDs from shaky banks still traded on the secondary market at a large discount to the prior value. What we currently think of as the ‘price of gold’ is not the price of physical gold (analogous to cash) but rather the price of gold contracts (analogous to CDs).
  • This might all seem like semantics and bickering between different gold camps. However, it is an important discussion because physical gold holders who do not understand what may happen face the prospects of selling at exactly the wrong time, because ‘gold is crashing, the gold bull market is over, the gold story was completely wrong’.

Physical gold is at the inverted base of Exeter’s pyramid.  All paper products (including paper gold products) are above gold.
In a desperate rush for the exits - thats an awful lot of physical paper "assets" that will try to run through the door into physical gold.  Unless…the powers that be are able to keep all the dishes juggled in the air without any "accidentally" crashing to the ground.

Strawboss,
So now you see the predicament. Our ‘price of gold’ that we see on kitco etc. is the price of paper assets. As you say, these assets will try to ‘run through the door into physical gold’ and thus they will need to be liquidated into currency first.

So ‘gold contracts’ will crash in currency price, even as physical gold will soar in currency price – but you won’t see the latter, because physical gold is not quoted (in size at least). Our current gold pricing mechanisms are based on the paper gold price and thus they will break down in a period of confusion. Contracts for gold will not perform.

Physical gold will soar in value but there won’t be a market in place to quote a price.

Again, this might seem like semantics, since both a hypotherical short squeeze and this scenario end with a radically higher physical-only gold price. However, the two situations will look very different as they are happening.

EDIT both scenarios end with higher gold prices, but the short squeeze scenario does not necessariy specify a physical-only price, does it?

[quote=Michael H]Strawboss,
So now you see the predicament. Our ‘price of gold’ that we see on kitco etc. is the price of paper assets. As you say, these assets will try to ‘run through the door into physical gold’ and thus they will need to be liquidated into currency first.
So ‘gold contracts’ will crash in currency price, even as physical gold will soar in currency price – but you won’t see the latter, because physical gold is not quoted (in size at least). Our current gold pricing mechanisms are based on the paper gold price and thus they will break down in a period of confusion. Contracts for gold will not perform.
Physical gold will soar in value but there won’t be a market in place to quote a price.
Again, this might seem like semantics, since both a hypotherical short squeeze and this scenario end with a radically higher physical-only gold price. However, the two situations will look very different as they are happening.
EDIT both scenarios end with higher gold prices, but the short squeeze scenario does not necessariy specify a physical-only price, does it?
[/quote]
Michael - expand your mind.  There is only a tiny, tiny fraction of worldwide "wealth" currently invested in "gold" (including the paper derivatives).
Whatever downward price pressure on the paper market because of paper gold holders converting to physical will be more than compensated for by the "new money" rushing through the door to get their hands on physical.
As I indicated earlier, can you imagine if Apples board of directors decided to invest 10% in physical gold?  Or what about Calpers?  Or the Norwegian SWF?  Or any of the other hundreds and thousands of other monied interests…not even taking into account all the worlds billionaires and millionaires…
Thats an awful lot of liquidity that gold is going to have to sop up.  In fact - gold is the only asset that can truly extinguish all the debts and get the system back to a normal state of function.

Strawboss,
I agree with you; if tons of new money wants to invest in physical gold, then the price will skyrocket. And I also agree that this is likely in the future.
Most of this thread’s discussion has not been about that end game, however. It has been about how the current market operates, and how the current market may cease to operate.

Michael H,
nice to see you here. I sign every single one of your statements above.

Strawboss,

Whatever downward price pressure on the paper market because of paper gold holders converting to physical will be more than compensated for by the "new money" rushing through the door to get their hands on physical.

I am not sure this is realistic. They will see the quoted paper price of gold crash, as Michael H says. Why catch a falling knife, as the investment people say? The problem is that the market may die while it is down and before all these potential new longs get in.

Again, you should think about what this means for the ETFs. If I were Sprott, I would wind down the PHYS at that moment, pay the investors cash and purchase the physical gold myself or for my hedge fund. Adding insult to injury for the holders of Sprott paper.

Finally, you need to consider the political risk as well. What will the U.S. and UK government do when the bullion banks are running out of reserve?

There is one precedent. In March 1968 when the London Gold Pool lost a lot of its reserve, the US Treasury phoned the UK prime minister, and on the same evening, he basically woke up the Queen that night and had her sign an order to close the bullion market the next day. Nobody bid up the spot price in order to satisfy the redemptions. They just shut the market down for two weeks. During that period, Congress passed a law that made the US dollar irredeemable for foreign private entities. I would keep this precedent in mind.

Again, I urge everyone to take this warning seriously. If you just listen to the usual goldbug propaganda and expect a short sequeeze and a rising paper price (in order to make a nice profit in US$), you may be waiting for something that might never happen. Rather, the paper price may crash, most retail investors will be confused and sell or will be forced out of their ETFs. Then they close the market when the price is low, and a couple of weeks later, somebody else (ECB perhaps) starts making a physical-only market that discovers a price that blows even Jim Sinclair out of his socks, perhaps some $30000/ounce or more (payable in Euros, of course). Everyone who sold their physical or got shut out of his ETF, will be furious. Just as in 1968 the international holders of dollars who were a few days too slow.

And in 1971 the Bank of England herself. On Friday, August 13, 1971, they phoned the U.S. treasury and asked for redemption of $3bn at the then official price of $35/ounce for a total of about 2660 metric tons of gold. The U.S. government then met at Camp David on Saturday and apparently brought forward the plan they already had in the drawer, namely to terminate the gold redemption even for foreign governments and central banks. The BoE didn’t get their 2660 metric tons. For some reason, however, this did not diminish their loyalty.

Victor

Correlation is not causation and all that…
The similar time line of Venezuala repatriating gold and the spike in the gold price around August of 2011 is something I am focused on. The devil is in the detail and I have made enquiries. Strange bedfellows indeed.

In regard to differing opinions as to whether a run on the bullion banks caused by their failure to honour the convention of converting unallocated to allocated would, or would not, cause a spike in the price…I happen to think that those who hold their gold in unallocated accounts, (the most common form surprisingly, according to LPMC Ltd), would learn their lesson and be somewhat anxious to take delivery of their replacement purchases.

Not to mention those who, in the circumstances, were fearful that their allocated accounts might be Corzined. I think we would see a commercial signal failure as physical gold is removed from the trading system. It would be a brave central bank that, in the circumstances, would "stand ready to lease gold in increasing quantities should the price rise"…or braver still if, as Victor contends, the price remains unchanged or falls.