How The Federal Reserve Is Purposely Attacking Savers

Just to follow on from my last comment.
You are correct that it is unfair that borrowers can default (or pass the debt burden onto someone else, to be exact) and suffer no personal consequences; and then for tax payers and for savers to ultimately end up paying this debt off.  The lenders of last resort have largely avoided this from happening by increasing the National debt.

Those people calling on governments to reduce their debts levels should be careful what they wish for. If debts cannot be rolled over then savings and existing assets must be used to pay the principal and interest on existing debts. 

Ed

Only if the banks are allowed to.Karl Denninger has the answer to this with 'One Dollar of Capital': Banks should not be allowed to lend more than the value of all their assets. Then anyone defaulting on their loans will mean the bank shareholders losing their own money, not other people's. This should make banks far more cautious about who they lend to, and eliminate the growth of asset bubbles.

http://www.conventionofstates.com/ 

Sounds good but how would you expand and contract the money supply? Without control of the money supply you have no control over inflation/deflation.  Does it matter if you do not have control of these? I don't know, is the short answer.Ed

You are one of the few who can remember the term 'sterilized' QE, Jim.  At the start of QE in 2008 or whenever, the FED made the very important point that QE was 'sterilized'.  For those who don't understand the term, it means that QE can be reversed.  It was still 'money' born out of debt and you can reverse QE just by selling the treasuries, mortgage backed securities or whatever and pay back the debt. Reserving QE  i.e. QE is NOT debt free money printing. Remember, 95% of our money supply is created through debt and QE is no different.Your point; is QE distortive?  Probably, but they are desperate to keep the World growing.  My point has always been;  is World growth approaching it's limits anyway and if so, how can QE be reversed and can our current system of money creation survive.
I have a hunch that we will need some form of debt free money creation at some point in the future so as to wipe out some of the debt which will unfortunately also wipe out an equal amount of savings. It's not going to be very popular !!!
Ed 

Climber said,

I have a hunch that we will need some form of debt free money creation at some point in the future

I think you are right, it's just a matter of whether the monetary powers that be get their act together and come up with their own solutions before we the people completely repudiate their debt-based, ever more digital fiat money in a wave of hyperinflationary revulsion.  Many commentators, including myself, believe that the free market has already presented us with an alternative currency with many benefits - namely Bitcoin... but I don't want to turn this into a Bitcoin thread.   Following your lead, I have thought about the flaws in the current system and come up with my own version of a fix.  The main root problem, in my opinion, is the fact that a pure debt-money system creates the principle, but not the interest to pay off the loans.  (Much abuse layers over this flaw in terms of the power of central banks, the collusion of central banks and governments, etc... and this would need to be addressed as well - but for now I am just addressing the core flaw).  In this way, debt always runs away from the total money in the system, which creates the imperative for inflation.  The imperative for inflation is therefore based on nothing but a technical, or dynamic flaw in the money creation system.  How might this be fixed?  Here is my thought experiment - it is a hybrid system;  Calculate the total amount of money owed as interest, on a regular basis (say quarterly), for all newly created debt money in the system... all mortgages, car loans, school loans, and gov't borrowing (if QE serviced).  Then create this amount of money debt-free and distribute it equally to all families and/or individual tax payers in the US.  Very, very simple in concept. What would be the outcomes? 1)  There would be more money in the system, which would reduce the need for the monetary authorities to induce inflation through other means - means that often tip the system in favor of banks and the already wealthy.  2)  While generally inflationary, this plan would aim the benefits at those who usually get hurt the most by inflation - the poor and middle class.  They would get first access to the newly created money, and since all parties would get equal amounts, on a per income % basis the poor would benefit most.   3)  Payouts would scale to the amount of underlying debt creation.. meaning that the creation of debt free money would scale roughly with underlying growth.   4)  Over time, the amount of debt-free, non-self liquidating money would build up in the system as a % if total debt, creating a bigger and bigger buffer against the short term deflationary tendencies of the business cycle downside.  This should allow for central banks to leave the free markets more to themselves and reduce the need to blow sequential bubbles. 5)  As interest rates normalize, the pain of increased borrowing costs to a regular person who needs a car loan or a new mortgage is reduced.. because their, "debt money system benefit payout" would increase... remember, the payout is sized to fill the gap between the principle and total owed (principle + interest)... higher interest means higher payouts of debt-free money.   Of course, much of this would never happen because it would turn so many of the benefits that are today in the hands of the banks and the wealthy back to the common folk... but it's at least interesting to think about how simple it could be to fix the core problem with debt-based money.                               

I think that the FED and other central banks round the world are thinking about how they are going to unwind the huge debt mountain and unfunded future liabilities they have when World growth peaks and then starts its decline, just like you have done.However, I'm going to make make myself very unpopular with you for which I'm very sorry. There is a very common misconception in the blogosphere that 'interest' money is not created before hand and hence creating the need for debt to ever increase in order to cover it. This is what really happens.
Money is created by a bank whenever a loan is made AND whenever the bank buys services (including wages for staff, dividend payments etc) or assets (like investments on behalf of the bank).  If the money supply is being kept constant, then this amount will equal the loans being repaid and interest payments…  (Central banks set interest rates to alter this balance to fine tune the money supply)
Ed

Ed,  You will never be unpopular with me for sincere discussion… insincere and/or trollish behavior, especially when it supports the cause of paperbugs, will cause me to come out swinging though, as many here know.  Anyway, you said,

Money is created by a bank whenever a loan is made AND whenever the bank buys services (including wages for staff, dividend payments etc) or assets (like investments on behalf of the bank).

Can you please find some references for this feature of banking?  I don't think these actions on the part of a bank actually, in and of themselves, lead to more money creation.  I have though seen the argument before that bank wages, for instance, may account for some of the debt based money that would otherwise have been destroyed not being destroyed.  Nevertheless, It is demonstrable that in most Western debt-based fiat systems, total debt runs away from total money.  That's what this guy (who himself is naive regarding the way banks create money) found when he looked into it, noting that a debt-to-money ratio > 1.0 supports my point;
  http://simonthorpesideas.blogspot.com/2013/04/total-global-debt-and-money-supply.html
How do you explain this?  What am I missing?   I will end with a quote;
  “That is what our money system is. If there were no debts in our money system, there wouldn’t be any money.” Marriner S. Eccles, Chairman and Governor of the Federal Reserve Board http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriner_Stoddard_Eccles http://minneapolisfed.org/pubs/region/99-06/martin.cfm

Hi Jim. Thank you for your kind words.  I too believed what you do now.  However I did a lot of reading around the topic a few years back and bought a copy of this www.neweconomics.org/publications/entry/where-does-money-come-from
It goes into a lot of depth on the topic of money creation including debunking the 'interest money is not created' myth

As regards your second point as to why debt is greater than money supply, I wrote some tentative theories in the comments section of www.peakprosperity.com/blog/87874/national-failure-save-invest-crash-course-chapter-16 They are only tentative at the moment.

Ed

Absolutely correct CM.  I've known about financial repression for 15 years.  When they first "invented" superannuation in Australia (like a 401k) and I sat down with a calculator and worked out that my retirement benefit after inflation was going to be the equivalent of one year of current annual salary which in those days was already pretty ordinary.   That superannuation and 401k are just giant tax revenue engines didn't occur to me until more recently.
Meanwhile people rush to put extra money into their super (401k) and use it as a kind of tax dodge because the tax on contributions is lower than capital gains taxes - and lose cash flow to do it.  They all get swayed by six figure retirement figures 30 years hence and think they are doing ok. 

What surprises me of course is that everyone buys into it.  Even people you think are intelligent, people who hold degrees in engineering and science.  I guess it demonstrates that fiscal awareness is something independent of mathematical genius.

Perhaps labeling the crime with the words "financial repression" is key to getting people aware.  They don't have to understand what it means just that it is bad and being practiced by the FED, IMF and governments and that it is tantamount to stealing from the non-rich.   Like GMO - no-one actually knows what it means and yet no-one will eat food containing GMOs.  Financial repression or better yet "financial oppression" needs to become a household term that everyone starts talking about.

Until people figure out that they are victims I fear the middle classes will just chug along getting poorer until the USD hegemony breaks and financial collapse happens. 

Thus, according to this analysis, the source of the perpetual growth imperative can be attributed to two factors that prevent 100% recycling of principal and interest, namely... using interest income to increase the pool of principal and secondary lending itself. Defenders of the "no shortage theory" argue that there can never be a shortage because the "flow" can be speeded up. We just need to work harder to pay the extra charges. But "speeding up the flow" means increasing earning and spending Ie. Gross Domestic Product, economic growth. This just proves what I claimed in the movie... that a structural money shortage necessitates constant expansion of the real economy. With this argument, my critics prove me correct. http://paulgrignon.netfirms.com/MoneyasDebt/disputed_information.html
I remain convinced that the growth, or inflation imperative is embedded into the system based on the fact that the money to pay interest, for the most part, does not exist in the system.  

The exponential growth in money is definitely there, but it is not there because of "not having enough money in the system to pay the interest."Two examples:
A wage slave makes $36k/year, is paid monthly, and spends his entire salary each month.  How much money supply is required from the system to provide "economic lubrication" for his annual salary?  Is it $36k?  No.  Since he is paid monthly, he only needs $3k total from the system, since he only ever sees $3k at a time.  That's an example of a "36k annual flow" requiring only a $3k total money supply - $3k is the stock, while $36k/annual is the flow.
Let's look at another loan.  How much money do I need to have to make my monthly payment on my $1M loan @ 5%.  Each year, I owe $50k.  Do I need to have $50k in the bank to make each monthly payment?  No.  I just need $4166, every month.  And in fact as long as I make $4166 each month, I can make my payment even though on a yearly basis I really do need $50k.  And the system itself needs only provide me with $4166 as my share of "aggregate money supply" to support my debt of $1M.
Loan is $1M, flow required is $50k, but money stock required to make my payment is only $4166.  And if interest payments are recycled, that $4166 can circulate indefinitely - and as long as $4166 of value is added monthly to the economy by the debtor, he has no problem in making his payments without any more money being created.
Suggesting that the system must have enough "money supply" in the system so that every debtor is able to make their entire annual interest payment at any given moment is just absurd.  The "system" doesn't need this, any more than individual debtors need to have their annual aggregate interest payments sitting in their banks in order for them to be able to make their payments.  Its just not how things really work.
Again, its a stocks & flows thing.  All debtors need is enough "flow" to make the payments.  And the "stock" doesn't need to equal the "flow" for it all to work out.
The whole thing about "working harder" is a non sequitur.  Monthly payments is how the magic trick works.  If all interest payments were annual - if you really had to have $50k to make your 5% payment on the $1M loan, and you were required to pay it all once per year, then there might really be a problem.
But of course that's not how things really work so - no problem.

I think that we can agree that there is some sort of 'growth imperative' in action. The exact mechanism behind this will be debated, am sure, between us during the coming years here on Peak Prosperity. As World GDP growth slows, peaks and then starts to decline, the interaction between this and our monetary system is going to be very interesting.

Dave, I know you are sold on the Steve Keen model that says things can work out based on a certain set of behaviors as programmed into a stock-to-flow model he has.  Here is what one Chris Martenson wrote back in June; 

https://peakprosperity.com/comment/167806#comment-167806

Steve Keene is being a complete egghead on this one, by which I mean utterly divorced from simple real-world realities.

I agree with the highly simplified and utterly unrealistic set up which has all flows of money coming back into the bank and then flowing back out into the world, perfectly balanced with all stocks, and no accumulations of said stocks at any particular points.

Under those conditions of idealized and perfect stocks and flows it's theoretically possible to make it all balance out.

However, out there in the real world, where there's $57 trillion in debt, it's impossible to have all $2 trillion in debt remittances flow into the bank and back out as wages in a manner that prevents exponential growth in the money system.

By way of evidence I have charts of both debt and money spanning many decades with near perfect exponential growth.  R^2 of 0.99, baby!

So what does it matter if it's theoretically possible under heavily constrained conditions in a stripped down spreadsheet to make stocks and flows balance for a couple of turns of the crank?  Stocks and flows are never ideal or perfect and, because of this, you get the exponential behavior we see in the real world.

In this particular argument, I agree with Chris.  Left to it's own devices, our monetary system is dynamically unstable in that total debt tends to run away from total money.  This is quite obviously a feature of the system given that the money creation mechanism creates the principle, but not the interest.

The new "argument:" you give above, that monthly payments are somehow the key to understanding your point… makes no intuitive sense to me.  As an engineer, looking at the money system as a whole, the relative "lumpiness" of the payment stream would seem to make little difference.  Sure, from a personal affordability standpoint, and given human nature… it is important.  But, from a system stability vs. instability point… and I am arguing that the debt based money system is prone to instability, whether payments are made weekly, monthly, or yearly, would make little difference when viewed in aggregate.  Total payments would be about the same on a yearly basis whether paid monthly or yearly, and over many loans the dates of these (much larger, much lumpier) yearly payments would amount to exactly the same hill of beans.  

As I have shown in a post above, total debt in Western money systems tends to outpace total money by about 2X.  I suggest this is because total debt = total principle + total interest, and the interest portion of this equation is never explicitly created. 

A specific case as food for thought;

As one digests this particular dynamic of our money system, it occurs to me that the system could get into trouble especially during the latter half of a housing boom.  Since housing debt. is the bulk of our total consumer debt, it really wags the dog when it comes to the dynamics we are talking about.  As of this Nov. '13 report, mortgages accounted for 70% of our total indebtedness;

http://www.newyorkfed.org/householdcredit/2013-Q3/HHDC_2013Q3.pdf

What do we know about mortgage loans?  Well, for one, they are big, creating a LOT of money all at once.  Two;  They are long lived, most of the time 30 years in length.  Thirdly, they are highly front loaded in terms of interest payments… the payoff of principle being back loaded.

Because of these three dynamics, we can imagine the following;  Since mortgages are so long-lived - the interest compounds for so long, the amount of interest is very high relative to the initial loan amount.  

For example, a $100,000 mortgage at 5.75 percent paid for 30 years will actually cost the borrower $210,000 to repay.

While each monthly payment is the same (approximately $583 a month), the payment is not divided into level amounts of interest and principal. At the beginning, the payments are mostly interest. At the end, the payments are almost entirely principal and no interest.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2004/04/26/focus5.html?page=all

So, let's say you have a housing boom... lots of money is being created, and most of it is being paid back as interest, meaning that most of it is not being destroyed.  Everybody is happy.. lots of liquidity in the early stages. 

But what happens at the tail end of this boom, say 15 years in?  Well… much of the interest has been paid, and the payments are tipping over to favor principle.  Money is being destroyed.  The system's liquidity is being reduced (all other factors equal).  I don't see how anyone could argue that this is not so.  

Some may view all of this as some kind of academic argument.  I don't… .I think understanding these points are key to understanding what motivates our central bankers.  Around the 14:00 mark in the video below, Alasdair is talking about money creation, and the need for ongoing and increasing money creation.  He says,

either they (the banks) do it, or the FED does... the reason the FED does QE is they are worried the banks aren't doing enough....

The FED wants the total amount of fiat money to continue to expand - otherwise they see a potential crisis.

When the banks are pushing on a string... QE is the only way to keep shoveling money in.  Now ask yourself this;  Do you think we are done with QE now that the taper is completing?  Do the stock vs. flow (model) guys like Dave and Steve Keen think our banking system will be fine through such a liquidity squeeze?  Do their models account for the distorting effects of all the derivatives, interest rate and otherwise?  Will deflation be allowed?  Or do we in fact have a system that is almost always net starved for liquidity because of the fact that total debt runs away from total money?                  

Climber-
Yes I certainly agree with there being a growth imperative endemic in our current system.

But like a doctor who doesn't care if a fever is caused by a virus or a bacterial infection, if we don't understand the cause of the growth imperative, we might end up prescribing the wrong medicine - or a medicine that will not result in improvement if taken.

So while it sounds super wonky, I actually think its important to understand the root cause of our exponential growth in the money system, so we don't end up trying to "fix" something that isn't actually broken.

I'd say it has been "hashed on" before, rather than "hashed out."Chris's response at that time missed the essence of Steve Keen's argument,  as I pointed out in my follow-on comment which you didn't see fit to include.  :-)  So I'll include it here:

... Keen is not saying "things work out" with our 57 trillion in debt.  He's saying that on this one specific claim - "its not possible to pay the interest on the debt stock because the money isn't created" - it is a stocks/flows fallacy. In the rest of his talk he shows that bankers have this innate desire to create more debt, and this desire (and their eventual control over government through their profitability) coupled with the ratchet effect will inevitably and repeatedly drive us into crisis as debt continues to grow until we finally blow up from a massive debt bubble... [Keen] did NOT say that the stocks/flows situation means there is no exponential growth in debt.  But he did seem to suggest it wasn't because of the interest - but rather, the ratchet effect.  No - wait - it was the whole Minsky ponzi finance that first drives everything up, and then breaks down when the "fundamental buyers" start to sell assets because they can no longer cover their interest payments with their cash flow, and that triggers the pop.
So with the added context, now I will answer your questions. Do people ever pay down their mortgages and get into the "mostly principal is being repaid" stage?  Generally no.  Americans move every 5 years, so we're always paying down the first part of the loan cliff, the point of maximum interest payments.  Tax deductible, of course.  And of course as rates drop, people also refi to get the lower rates.  We haven't been in a rising rate environment for a very long time.  But that's a non-sequitur; its beside the point. Are banks pushing on a string right now?  Yes.  Will banking system be fine?  No.  Will deflation be "allowed"?  Not if they can help it. Mostly, I come to the same conclusions you do, while seeing the root cause of the problem as something completely different. Loans outstanding rise because bankers are extremely motivated to create money - that's how they make money; more loans = more income.  Its banker motivation, not some systemic requirement for a constantly growing money supply that somehow demands loaning the interest payments into existence to keep the system afloat. In microcosm it is easy to see that the system need not create money stock equal to the aggregate annual interest payment for the whole economy, as long as payments are monthly rather than annually.  Most people's "money needs" don't equal their annual interest burden, or their annual salary - most people place liquidity requirements on the system equal to their income for their pay period, because it goes right back out the door as soon as it comes in. Yet some people continue to imagine that if you have a $1M loan @ 5%, this requires the outstanding credit in the system to grow by $50k per year or else you just can't make your interest payment.  Certainly, if interest payments vanished into thin air once made, this would be true.  Or if interest payments had to be saved up during the year and made all at once, this would be true too.  But that's not reality. Again, I share your understanding of the likely consequences, while disagreeing with your diagnosis about the cause.  This distinction seems difficult for me to communicate - both you and Chris persist in imagining I see some happy outcome as a result of me not accepting the "must create money to pay the interest" theory.  I don't. Again, we agree the patient is being killed.  We just disagree about whether its bacteria or a virus. That said, knowing the true cause is critical being able to prescribe an effective remedy.

Karl Denninger posted this link today:http://www.barnhardt.biz/2014/10/29/notes-for-apres-la-guerre-part-2-banking-and-financial-market-theory/