James Wesley Rawles: Homesteading, Relocation & Resilience

That business plan will work fine for farmers as long as not much changes in our society at large.  But, I don't think people here at PP believe that will be the case.  If the farmers can't survive selling their products at considerably lower prices, albeit to locals, they probably won't survive businesswise if and when the economy crumbles.

Doug
[/quote]
Thats just it, do I plan for a "hard crash", with all its potentially violent implications, and find land far away from all urban centers, or do I plan for a more "soft crash", and be closer to an urban center. As I see it planning for either scenario could mean failiure should things turn out different than the "planned for" scenario, as currently people with the willingness to pay for good quality food reside mostly in urban centers. In a "soft crash" situation one could shift their focus, on whatever market remains, and the community around. Living close to high population density in a "hard crash" situation, when cities might be hard hit by collapsing supply chains, everything one planned for might not be executable, for all the people that might be coming out of cities struggeling to survive, and possibly stopping at little to ensure the survival of them and theirs.
Alternatively as long as no major disruption is occuring, it would be very challanging to succeed economically with such a farming enterprise far removed from any city, because people that are willing and/or able to pay a realistic and fair price for food, are less numerous.
It is very hard to compete with current "regular" food prices, as commodity agriculture is quite heavily subsidized, and less nutrient rich. Somebody, somewhere, maybe some othertime is, or will be paying the price for it. Just not the person at the till right now. Isn't that whats wrong with the current agrifood "industry"? I think in the future a more realistic price (at the till) needs to be, and will be found…

Living close to high population density in a "hard crash" situation, when cities might be hard hit by collapsing supply chains, everything one planned for might not be executable, for all the people that might be coming out of cities struggling to survive, and possibly stopping at little to ensure the survival of them and theirs.

Alternatively as long as no major disruption is occurring, it would be very challenging to succeed economically with such a farming enterprise far removed from any city, because people that are willing and/or able to pay a realistic and fair price for food, are less numerous.

Heinzi, you nailed it. It's a balance you have to find for yourself. This was why I chose the far outskirts of a small city with five colleges (Columbia, SC) , because in case of a hard crash, if these young people go home there will be less of a strain on feeding people in the area. We're on the edge of farmland in a community with deep agricultural roots (small farms, deep knowledge, horses. farmer's markets). In case of a hard crash, we are far enough from major metro areas that they will not come looting and yet close enough to a city center to have a place to sell produce, good, and services. Heck, we are within walking distance of two flea markets that also sell produce and repair services: I fully expect them to be our "shopping malls" after a crash. We are also on freight rail lines, and rail will be more economically viable than car or truck in a long decline.

Drawbacks to the area are all the nuclear plants, and–if it does not appeal to you–some folks might not like being in the Bible Belt. But my experience is that most churches provide a secondary structure to a community and can work together in emergencies.

hey marky…Check out our plan for a sustainable co-homestead in Southern VT. Also, you might want to check out other communities around the world at ic.org
good luck!