Major Crisis Survival Concepts: Staying Home, or Bugging In

I think it was called “Doomsday Preppers”. It was on Netflix several years ago now; so I suppose one could “take that” for what you think it’s worth.

I teach 8th grade Sunday school. We made these in class a couple weeks ago as a part of a lesson.
(See you tube video “How to Make David’s Sling - David and Goliath Slingshot”)
It recommends ping pong balls for ammo, which I didn’t have on hand. (It IS a toy!) Instead we used aluminum foil, wadded up round and surface-smoothed a bit. We learned that it’s important to whirl the sling around for just one rotation. Otherwise the two cords will twist and the missile won’t release.)
Probably more helpful would be this you tube video:
“How to Use a Shepherd’s Sling” by BlackScoutSurvival.

1 Like

Here us a link–Amazon, of course. They are very handy for hiking, camping, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=compressed+toilet+paper+tablets&crid=BVASVN28IZQ5&sprefix=compressed+toilet%2Caps%2C126&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_17

i have a very good friend who was the gunner on a pbr (a river patrol boat) in vietnam. the same as the one in apocalypse now. he has not had a full nights sleep since then. it was 20 years before he could watch the movie.
we have another friend who is a gung ho trump supporter and has spoken of thr shtf scenario and saying he would shoot the mofos. friend number one had one simple question. ” have you ever shot anyone?”
You’re right about that joe2baba. You can never tell how a person is going to react to trauma and violence until you see them (or even yourself) in combat or a life-threatening situation. Bravado from someone inexperienced in killing or any life-threatening situations is nearly useless in predicting how a person will act. In fact, my police experience tells me bravado in an inexperienced young cop is slightly more likely to be associated with poor performance under fire than courageous actions and self control. I think that partly depends on focused preparation and previous life experiences, but I think a lot of it has to do with basic personality types which can’t be changed (or changing them requires a great deal of effort and time). We’ve all heard of the traumatized war veteran type like your friend #1, but there are other people who seem to shake off the trauma easily or actually thrive in combat (or similar traumatic experiences). For a college assignment in the ‘70’s I interviewed a US Army veteran who fought through Europe and the Battle of the Bulge. He loved telling me about his experiences and said he loved the thrill of combat and actually missed it. ??‍♂️ In my mind, the psychological, emotional and spiritual intangibles will be of primary importance in determining who survives what’s coming and how. How well will people respond to the suffering of loved ones and strangers? Seeing (and smelling) dead bodies on the street? Watching someone die without medical attention? Sleep deprivation? Reaction to personally killing someone in self defense? Disregarding one’s former moral code in order to survive? Sometimes people don’t fall apart because of one identifiable traumatic experience but from the accumulated stress over a long period of time. This can happen to the most courageous and resilient people. It’s a rule of thumb that almost all soldiers cannot continue to function well after about 180 days of actual combat, though there are notable exceptions.  Many people are psychologically “waiting for their ticket to be punched.” For their own reasons, they don’t expect to live much longer and they certainly don’t think they can cope with or survive a severe economic collapse and breakdown of civilized society. They don’t prepare or plan because of this. Of course, these people will quickly die, be enslaved, or imprisoned if what we’re expecting as a worst case actually happens. However, (also from my police experience) there are some people who today talk like they expect to die and say they won’t put up a struggle (or who claim to be pacifists) who will surprise even themselves by fighting and/or fleeing like cornered honey badgers. Most of these won’t survive because they didn’t plan, prepare and train in advance, but they won’t go quietly like they claim they will today. It’s a shame they don’t prepare in advance because they would have much better odds of survival. Another neglected issue for survivalists and preppers that often gets overlooked is hygiene and sanitation. Unprepared folks and undisciplined soldiers usually take more casualties from preventable sickness and infection than from combat and violence.  Finally, I’ve said it numerous times here but a rural homestead will be nearly impossible to defend from roving bands of thieves and killers. Don’t listen to me. Listen to someone like Fernando Aguirre (FerFAL) who survived the collapse of Argentina 22 years ago. His book is “Surviving the Economic Collapse.” Selco survived the breakup of Yugoslavia and he says the same thing. (Find him and his school of survival on the internet.) They both advise getting out of big cities and rural homesteads if possible. They advocate for small towns and villages which have a large enough population to provide for their mutual defense from roving marauders but aren’t big enough to be the target of governments and paramilitaries because of their wealth, resources and strategic importance. “Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor.”
8 Likes

I am coming over to your house if it hits the fan ??

2 Likes

Hahahahaha I think 90% of the community has thought the same at some point lol

2 Likes

Hi Ben, indeed. I can also imagine that 30-40 years ago things were not as bad as they are today. Maybe we can conclude that in some areas shit already is hitting the fan?

2 Likes

If as bad, certainly not as obvious. Unfortunately I must agree with your conclusion but I do imagine an increasingly difficult end result. Stay well.

We surely appreciate and value your point of view. For us, Resilience comes in many shapes and sizes for each individual. Chris has talked about concepts of bugging out and bugging in. We feel it worthwhile to continue to explore the various aspects / voices on this broad topic. For me, living in a heavily populated city is a double edged sword. I’ve lived in areas with lots of people, had good social capital and knew we would come together and defend/support each other. But lots of people do present lots more problems. I’m glad to be in the country though.

1 Like

Methodists Vs Catholics???

I find it really odd that you provide Methodists vs Catholics as a possible social danger. They’re both pretty pacifistic and don’t really care what faith another person follows, as long as they’re left alone to live in peace. They’re both Christian, follow the same bible and the same Jesus who tells us to love one another and turn the other cheek. I’m Catholic and my neighbors are Baptist, and out here, nobody cares. We’re all nice to each other and help each other out when needed. Baptists and Catholics are a lot more different than Methodists and Catholics, and there’s still no problem. I don’t see the friction point. Muslims, though? There could be some social fears and passive xenophobia involved, but I still don’t see violence happening from the Christian end of things.

1 Like

Continuity Of Government Document

Here are government plans for taking care of you/themselves:
https://www.fema.gov/emergency-managers/national-preparedness/continuity/toolkit

Not For Everyone

In my opinion, unless you possess an outstanding set of wilderness survival skill - bugging out is not for you. You and your family will be much safer if SHTF situation actually happens: sitting on plenty of stocked foods, clean water and water filters, walls and roof to protect you from weater and stuff like 380 ammo to defend yourself. Bugging out is only really an option for a few people who are actively practicing doing it. All I know if that unless I absolutely have no choice - I’ll be staying in the safety of my house.

1 Like

Fgs - Read This Book

https://www.amazon.com/Lights-Out-David-Crawford/dp/0615427359/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1JMUESM1XYMTA&keywords=lights+out&qid=1666360144&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjg2IiwicXNhIjoiMi45NyIsInFzcCI6IjAuNzAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=lights+out%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-6

Bugging Out

“Religious issues have caused more bloodshed…” Really? Even a brief review of history would straighten you out on that canard. Totalitarian regimes (generally satanic or atheistic) implementing “death by government” are responsible for the mass exterminations of the 20th Century.
A more careful examination of even so-called religious wars shows that while battle lines were drawn on religious affiliation, the wars were in reality over land and property grabs.