New Harbor: Now is the Time for Discipline in Protecting Wealth

My wife and I just finished building our house. It took us 4 years of hard work. The house is luxurious, high-end materials, large (3200sq/ft), garage, workshop, well insulated, on 27 acres of land. We are happy: We realized our long time dream, but… it is not the house we need in the perspective of future living standard progressive degradation. it is a house for consumption, for two cars, for permanent spending, etc…
Fortunately, we will sell it (I have to get closer to my work which is 90km away). We have already bought a smaller lot (5 acres, with a creek and the possibility to grow veggies and other crops).

The new house will be smaller (We are just 2) around 1500sq/ft max. Have solar energy production facility (We could also connect to the grid to "sell" our surplus production - not really selling, but offseting our consumption, which is fine). insulation will be above average for both winter (in Canada) and summer. The house will have a Canadian well.

We will also change our ways of living: veggie production, local purchase, use season food, grow chicken, etc…

All what you share is highly appreciated and an inspiration for our plans.

Thanks for all of you.

By the way, we are 49 years old. This not old at all to start again (The right way this time).

Regards

JM