Our Unsustainable Future

Eventually they become Squat-ernary! I think we’re close :slight_smile:

10 Likes

The Mosquito Man

In my area of the United States, (Georgia) we have lots of urban companies that go around spraying yards for mosquitos. They typically use a quick knockdown pyrethroid AND an IGR (insect growth regulator) to prevent future mosquitos. Unfortunately, these are both broad spectrum insecticides. They will kill hundreds of insect species besides the lowly mosquito. Please folks, try to use other ways to control mosquitos in your yards if you are considering this. Otherwise, we’re going to wipe out the pollinators we need for our urban gardens etc… This is a huge hidden problem that exists right under our noses all around the country. Thanks

7 Likes

At first I suppose it could nearly be justified, stealing from the rich, or from the supermarket because we feel entitled to food, and beleiving that my theft is not causing anyone to suffer. But if everyone is stealing, then the sources would go away, those who produce the food and run the stores stop functioning. The Wallmart leaves town, or they start shooting shoplifters. And if everyone is starving and stealing, then if becomes survival of the fittests, the biggest, the meanist. If I were not a believer in God, then I might join a gang and survive off those I can steal from, but my beliefs, cause be to consider that there are worse things than starving, or even dying. Not that I would be dammed for stealing, but dammed for being a person who hurts others and satifies my desires/needs at the expense/pain of others. Better to die than become a “bad” person.

5 Likes

I am rather big on “polysolutions”. ‘They’ can make all the crises they want & call them what they want. I am going to stay the course, focusing on my personal agility vis a vis the 8 forms of capital.
For those who are not familiar with her, Dr. Susan David, author of the book Emotional Agility, delivers with super engaging oratory a TED talk on the same topic. Two key take aways for me: emotions are data, and discomfort is the price of a meaningful life. Well worth the ~18 minute watch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDQ1Mi5I4rg&list=PLWmZEpLFyhQBu6VCb3swXDnskJ3v2j9FV&index=23
Be agile, my friends! Learn to sit with the discomfort, and roll with the punches. ??

5 Likes

I read the entire Little House series to my daughters many years ago when they were between the ages of about 5 and 10. It made the same impression on me. Farmer Boy is still in my mind. The stories of how they dealt with bullies at school, the cobbler’s annual visit, the various harvests, making butter to sell, etc, syrup making, the kids using all of the sugar to make lots of ice cream when their parents went on “vacation”, etc.

2 Likes

I’m with you on that.

2 Likes

Hey

This needs to be shared

2 Likes

Reagan stole that election via private foreign policy/treason - giving arms to terrorists. 1980, 2000, 2004, one arm of the uniparty does sometimes snatch the Presidency from the other.
“The Paper of Record” ??? gives its imprimatur finally to another conspiracy fact:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/18/us/politics/jimmy-carter-october-surprise-iran-hostages.html
expounded upon well by Mark Crispin Miller:
https://markcrispinmiller.substack.com/p/stop-the-presses-the-new-york-times
So we can maybe expect some honesty on the intentional Mass Formation Psychosis in 42 years.

2 Likes

I’m based in Singapore. It’s much worse here. A few years ago, they had a minor dengue fever outbreak and a major scare that followed. They had to be seen to do something. So, they started spraying insecticides in every residential and commercial compound once a week. They are still doing it. All you can do to avoid getting hit is to shut all doors and windows and wait for it to blow over. And that’s just the stuff that’s in the air…
As a result, on this tropical island, you can keep the windows open at night with the lights on [no screens] and not encounter a single bug in your house. Not that I miss the mosquito bites, but I’m very concerned about the direct and indirect impact of all the chemicals.

7 Likes

The Fourth E?

Escape.

3 Likes

I was trying to think of a joke about what the 4th E could be and I was coming up with nothing. Then I looked down and saw my book “Escape the City” by Travis JI Corcoran. Escape!
On that note, I got an email today about some property upstate NY…68 acres of beautiful woods with a brand new cabin, a stream and marketable timber. Near a state forest and Lake Ontario. $159,000. It’s tempting, but a bit cold for me. It’s amazing what can still be gotten for dirt cheap. How long will these opportunities last? I hope the good people will start buying this land up. I’m still looking.

1 Like

Yes, it will wipe out everything. Migrating insects are going through a literal mine field. Totally unsustainable.

3 Likes

“Win one for The Gipper” = Also 3x6 letters. :wink:

This Needs To Be Shared! Release From Behind The Paywall!

I know 5 million people plus minus a couple that have to see this. If necessary clockwork orange style.
https://peakprosperity.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/clockwork-orange-still3-2401481051-1679464561.1441.jpg

4 Likes

There was a new book a few years ago:
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Girl-Laura-Ingalls-Wilder/dp/0984504176
I got it and read a bit of it, full of previously unknown details.

2 Likes

Good news. It’s free and out in public already.

It’s public, and has been from the start - share away!*

• eyelid clips sold separately.
7 Likes

I have had good success with https://www.dynatrap.com/

1 Like

Doesn’t sound naive at all! I loved thse books growing up and also was a Laura Ingalls Wilder fan and researched what happened to her and also her daughter after the last story (These Happy, Golden Years, if memory serves.) Her stories were based on her childhood, so they were a combination of fact and fiction. She and Almanzo developed an apple orchard and lived long and happy lives and Laura published quite a few articles. It is a funny sensation to read what she wrote as an adult, because her childhood seemed so far away and almost dreamlike, and you also have the sensible, close-to-modern adult voice in her articles. (I had that same sense when seeing the Garden of Gethsemane in Israel, a thing moving from myth/stories into the real world.)
Laura Ingalls Wilder lived during a time of enormous technical advance, so her take on “progress” was especially interesting. While she appreciated the convenience, she saw a definate downside. For example she spoke of how convenient it was to travel by car…and at the same time she missed the companionship of her horses and the relationship that developed between human and horse. After a ride, she would unsaddle.unharness her horses, brush them, give them food and water and she would talk to them while they nickered back. Her sense was that thing were more convenient, but less emotionally rich.
I hope we can retain modern dentistry and medical care from 1990 (i.e. before the ethical purge), and an occasional Starbucks. I will miss modern plumbing. On returning from my first trip to Italy and marvelling at the wonders of the ancient world…I also felt like hugging my gleaming modern toilet.

3 Likes

Your post didn’t show me what you were intending. Could you write the name of the book? I’d love to read it. Thanks.