Peak Certainty, Food Resilience, and Aquaponics

Hey JAG-

I would love to see the videoa you reference for Northern Climate Aquaponics but am not seeing them show up on your post…

-pinecarr

Pinecarr, That’s strange they show up fine for me. Did you “ignore user” me? lol.Surprised
Give me a minute to post the links directly…Jeff

Links to videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgg95mflbvM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB1WUTAE_Jc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSDeMt6ry2g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAhQ7HjTY_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt7mmAei45Y

JAG ,    Do you have a dollar amount that this set up costs to set up and how much it cost to keep running ?
  I know, I know ,  some people have to put their money somewhere .  But for those who do not  how long will it take to see any profit ?

FM 

Thank you Farmer Brown… I had no idea how elegant Aquaponics is, nor that it could run at such a wide range of scales (pun intended),    

I’ve seen this work here in Australia.
It’s interesting, but in my opinion it’s way too complex, requiring technology which in the future may not be available when things wear out…

Many thanks Farmer Brown.  I see from your comments that you live in Costa Rica. I too have built a
residence/retreat in Lagunas, near Dominical, Please see: www.AwarenessCenters.com and click onto

Costa Rica retreat on left.  Part of my reason for this is to BE PREPARED for whatever.

Even though I live in Nyack, NY,  most of the year I still want a SAFE and SECURE piece of the earth.

Reasons for SURVIVING in Costa Rica:

No heating systems needed

Plenty of farming land, with many Farmers markets all over the place, with great sun and rain

No heavy clothes, no snow, ice, cold, etc.

Friendly local people who, frequently, ALREADY have community and are inviting

No capital gains taxes, very low property taxes

Incredible vistas and views with much of the country protecting rainforests, etc.

Opportunities to CREATE even more INTIMATE community of like-minded enlightened folks

Property fairly cheap and building costs exceedingly low (labor costs are embarassing)

Please feel free to add your reasons for our friends making comments.

Ken Pollinger, Ph.D. zenpollinger@gmail.com 845-358-6448 in NY.

Hope to make contact with you in CR.

Thanks JAG!  No, no way did I “ignore-user” you!;). 
But I am visiting family and staying at a hotel, so I’m stuck using their business lobby computer.  So maybe that could have soemthing to do with it?  Anyhow, glad to have the links; thanks Cap’n!

BTW, AWESOME post FB!! 

Oh, and FB:  thanks for the “Peak Certainty” concept.  Excellent food for thought…

Ken,

Good to “meet” you!  I’m in Turrubares (near Orotina).  One of my best friends is from Nyack, NY.  Drop me a line if you’ll be this way.

[quote=Sager]
Oh, and FB:  thanks for the “Peak Certainty” concept.  Excellent food for thought…[/quote]

Yes, I loved that concept too, Sager (and FB)!

For those of you interested in COMMUNITY, I recommend:
www.greenpropertycostarica.com, where Dennis Garber has created a wonderful CONCEPT.

I’d also like to see Chris’s comments regarding:"There Will Be Fuel: New Oil and Gas Sources

Abound, but they Come with Costs," by Clifford Krauss in NYTimes, Nov 17, in Energy Section, page F1.

Seems to dent the peak oil concept???

Hi All - I love this topic and I love that anyone with a little water and imagination can raise fish and fruit n veggies year round.
I started experimenting with systems in 1999 and my fish of choice was the giant Australian crayfish (red claws) that can grow to nearly 1 1/2 pounds. Not all of them grow that big but the smaller ones are shrimp size so no loss there. I raised them here in MN for 6 years and they multiplied us out of our house till I said - enough - we need a farm!

Living in MN means I had to re-think how to manage my tank system and after we "bought the farm" I began to think how I could do it small scale, and later large scale.

Well recently I ran into another red claw expert only he DID commercial red claw culture in South America for 12 years. Together we wrote a book (available on Amazon "Raising Freshwater Lobster n Shrimp Size crayfish") and I am again setting up for a larger scale production.

There is a trick to raising tropical fish in the north. The tanks need to be a near constant 78 degrees. I lucked out because my husband and I had just started collecting broken refrigerators/freezers and converted them to brood ers, so we modified those to hold the first of the red claws that arrived two weeks ago.

Here's a picture of the red claw:

Raising Lobster n Shrimp Size CrayfishHere's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Freshwater-Lobster-Crayfish-ebook/dp/B008DMI0QI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341347005&sr=8-1&keywords=raising+lobster+n+shrimp+size+crayfish

Granted, I can only store my fish in the tanks in winter and they have to grow out in outdoor tanks, but from all my experience and years studying these creatures, they are nearly a perfect aqua-ponic species. They multiply like crazy and they are one of only a handful of freshwater crayfish that tolerate being crowded.

For my winter tanks, which I am getting ready in the fall, I plan on adding a shelving system over the tanks to grow food on until it gets too cold in the barn. Then start the system again in the spring. By next spring, my stock will be large enough to breed and produce fry around April and then in May, the fry will go out to the first grow-out tanks, which I also want filtered in a ponic system. A single red clay female will produce almost 1,000 fry to raise!

The ponic system I tried in 2000 was pretty basic - I floated styro-foam on their kiddie pool and poked holes through and put plants in the holes. They loved eating the roots and the plants loved all the nutrients. Unfortunately plants don't produce much fruit on just the high nitrogen supplied…but they were very big and leafy!

I will be loading pictures of the system as it develops for those interested. Feel free to ask questions, but the book covers all the basics.