Postcards from Polyface

I missed it due to family obligations. I really appreciate a chance to glimpse what you experienced.
I’m looking forward to another gathering large or small, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Travis,
One of the best ways to get into the land ownership business is to get vacant land rather than developed land.
Land loans are hard to come by but raw land is cheaper so you can easily get 5 acres for around $20k in many areas. I have 40+ acres I’ve gotten this way. That’s a small enough loan you can pay it off pretty quickly, and 5 acres is more than enough to become (mostly) self sufficient.
Your utility will usually run grid power pretty cheap to get you started, you’ll need a meter a panel and a receptacle in most cases before they’ll turn it on so you can get a camper to live in while developing the land.
A private well is about 20k in my area, and a septic system is about 40k so all in the basic improvements will cost you around $65k. Personal loans on each little piece is probably the best way to do it over time.
Its not an instantaneous process, it takes time and if the world collapses in the meantime, then you’re no worse off than you are right now so theres no loss.
While waiting for the money to roll in for each part of the project, you can plan the layout, read up on the native flora to see what your soils nutrients look like, scope out local attractions that might be useful in a post collapse scenario, and fence the property.
Fencing can be done a little at a time if you don’t have anything to contain yet. A roll of wire fencing and T-posts can be an inexpensive way to start while you are just getting going. One roll a month isn’t too much money and only one weekend of hard work. So little by little you get to that finish line.
Of course if you have lots of money, you can get it all done in the first year.
And as far as equipment. Go with off brand stuff. Mahindra or kubota tractors are cheaper and probably more durable than john deere. And boy are they a time saver, best investment you will ever make.
I could go all day, but no one would listen more than they had to. Hope that helps.

This is one of the problems we are facing when it comes to growing our business. I do not have a success story yet, but I am beginning to find older farmers that are a little reluctant to just sell the land, but also do not have family that want to take on the responsibility of farming, who are interested in finding working/leasing arrangements. This is one potential way to avoid the high cost and debt requirement for farmers just getting started. It’s long-term, but I think doable. I will circle back here with what we are doing after July, as we are meeting several older farmers.

I sure enjoyed my time at Polyface Farms… what a delightful group of people, both from Polyface and the PeakProsperity group. Thanks to everyone for being so nice.
My big takeaway from last weekend’s great adventure, was the simplicity and frugality of the Polyface operation! Not lots of fancy buildings, concrete, pumps, sanitation regimes, electronics and other capital investment. Joel’s methodology embodies the saying of Masanobu Fukuoka, “ Instead of trying to find ways to do this or that, try to find ways not do this or that”, meaning, simplify things when you can. Avoid off farm inputs. Use real-time solar energy as much as possible. Work with Nature, not against her. Limit input, optimize output.
I’ll bet the cost to capitalize an operation like Polyface is a small fraction of the cost to capitalize a CAFO operation. That is very encouraging! Thier strategies also seem very scalable to me, you don’t have to start big…start small, learn the ropes, grow as you learn.
Joel’s fiefdom enterprise was also quite intriguing! What an ingenious way to share resources and knowledge, and yet put the ownership of the fiefdom on the individual.
It was a very good trip. Thanks to all who made it happen!
Greg

My wife and I got to spend an hour and half+ with Lucille, Joel’s 97 year old mom. She just stopped driving the past year or so and is very sharp.
We can’t help but believe that it’s the food she’s eaten that has kept her so strong.

Thanks so much for the opportunity We had a great time.

I had been watching videos and learning, however actually being there and seeing, hearing, and being able to ask questions were critical. Not only did I leave with more information and the desire to learn more, I left with the conviction that I can- and more importantly- will- keep taking steps to food resilience. Joel and family are more than a way to grow food, and to work together, and to live together. The Polyface Farm shows all phases of success- dependence, independence and finally- interdependence. A very powerful and obvious strength of community. Thank you Chris and the Peak Prosperity team for having the gathering, as it also gave members a chance to network and feel like “I am not the only one that sees the need to change and grow”.

It was definitely an inspiring event for us. Joel Salatin has an aura about him - kinda like a mix of a lumberjack and a buddha. There were so many eye-opening aspects of their farm and story it’s hard to name one favorite. But to pick a couple:

1. the outdoor slaughtering house story about how the FDA almost shut him down only to find out that the bacteria on his chicken was somewhere like 1/36th of the bacteria on industrial chicken (that was washed in chlorine 40x), and
  2. the observation that pasture-raised/finished beef is probably one of the most environmentally friendly endeavors
    … were two talking points I’ve used already when talking about our trip to friends.
    Probably our favorite thing though was meeting other PP members (our first time). We’ll be on the lookout for future events. On top of that, anything PP could do to further enable us stay in touch in real life would be great.
    A couple things I’d love to learn more about:
    a) more talk about their egg-laying hens would have been interesting
    b) curious what their advice would be for what you can do in a typical suburban yard that is ‘Polyface style’.

Here is Mots lecturing against globalist control of solar power at Aisling Hill Farm north of Winchester, VA July 27 after Polyface. In addition there were talks on solar water heating, connecting solar panels, charging batteries, and ham radio plus lots of fun for all. Aisling Hill is based on Salatin principles. By chance, I can see the farm from my window in the Winter and my trip there lasted only a few minutes!

I was grateful for the inspiration and ideas I gained from Joel, Daniel, and his team and the camaraderie with the PP tribe. Being immersed in a farming system that truly understands “science” and harnesses it in a balanced way plus meeting other free-thinkers who who are taking steps to stay positive and adapt in the never-ending chaos was exactly what I needed. I’m really looking forward to future events with the tribe!
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmWavXbj

It was a fantastic event. Everything I hoped it would be. Meeting tribe members in person was great as well. Many good conversations.
Hopefully, there will be other opportunities in the future to meet up.

I missed the bit about ‘forgiving’ the system. I just remember him discussing the strategy of trying to circumvent the system (implying it’s broken beyond repair). Forgiveness is powerful, and the religious context is helpful. I’ve been studying the Yoga Sutras of Patanjili lately, which lists 5 causes of suffering (kleshas). One cause of suffering is hatred/repulsion/aversion (dvesha). If you carry this with you it will certainly cause suffering. So even if your hatred is rightous and justified, what’s the point? You’ll just suffer.
Forgive and circumvent. Seems like the optimal path forward.

I was not able to attend this event due to a family member in need of help, but would love to plan for the next one. (Hoping!!!) If there is going to be one next year, would it be possible to schedule it before the end of 2021? It would really help me to plan hatch and butchering dates.

I want to thank everyone who took the time to meet before Polyface in Richmond and after Polyface in Winchester. It was so wonderful to meet in person. I finally met Robie, a very warm and down to earth farmer who supplied apple flavored pulled pork.
Chris Oriel brought a heavy water tank all the way from Iowa and gave a very good presentation on DIY electricity and water heating, which included my own technology. Chris Oriel wants to be a resource person for electricity at PP and mentioned that he wants to help others learn to build out systems.

A friend said
I think Poly face is down near Staunton and many of the town restaurants use food from that farm on their menus - delicious eating and nice to know it’s all ethically and organic or at least with the environment and livestock health in mind, raised.

Motivation

I appreciated the motivation and insight I received from Joel, Daniel, and their group, and the friendship I found inside the PP community. It was precisely what I needed to be immersed in a farming system that understands “science” and utilizes it in a balanced way, as well as to meet other free-thinkers who are taking steps to remain optimistic and adapt in the midst of the constant upheaval krunker. I can’t wait for the next tribal gathering!