Prepping on a Shoestring

on hot water,  i’ve been researching health / food / hygiene for a good number of years.  the immune system is often thought of an something inside us.  it actually starts on the skin.  showering daily (or more) and using chemical products and deodorant etc  compromise your ability to fend off bad “germs” much more then modern science will tell you.
don’t use them,  your arm pits are part of your immune system too.  

you might think that if you don’t shower every day you’ll get greasy.  maybe so for a few days but your body is just trying to regain a balance of it’s essential oils and skin bacteria colonies.  skip a day,  then two etc and work yourself to one shower a week.  you’ll find within a week or two your body doesn’t get greasy at all.  little scrapes and cuts won’t even get that red band around them while they heal.  you’ll have almost no need for antiboitic ointments.

the list of benefits is long but mostly you’ll find you don’t get sick or rashes and even alergies seem to fade away.

if you stick your nose in your armpits a day after stopping deodorant yes you’ll have a strong smell.  but get to a shower a week and no deodorant and after a month your smell will have changed and be much less offensive.  then STOP smelling your armpits.   do a test to gain confidence that you don’t stink to others.  cosy up to someone and watch if they back-off.  they won’t even smell you and may even draw closer cause now you’re emitting pheamones(sp) which attract people to you.  

stop eating highly processed foods.  they affect your health and immune system.  chemicals in food damage your gut bacteria and make it easy for slightly tainted/spoiled food to give you a weeks worth of the runs and bad stomach “flu”.

don’t drink clorinated water,  it destroys your gut and makes it a sure thing that something you eat will make you sick.

there’s much more to consider but when it comes to getting ready for harder times i think this advice might carry you a long way and make you much healthier / more resistant to illness.

[quote=junkyard71]don’t drink clorinated water,  it destroys your gut and makes it a sure thing that something you eat will make you sick.
[/quote]
Be careful with vague statements like this.  Chlorination of public water supplies kills many pathogens which are very likely to make you acutely sick.  Chlorine should not be added more than necessary however because of the risk of chronic exposure to disinfection byproducts such as chloroform which could possibly increase the risk of cancer (if we have some faith in the literature, we’re talking the order of less than 1 in 10,000 additional deaths at the levels of DBPs in drinking water).  To me, avoiding the acute risk is more important and especially if times get tough and water supplies become less well maintained than they are today.  You can prep for treating your own water on a shoestring though through various methods such as bleach, iodine tablets, tea kettle, or appropriate water filter.

Great, timely information.
Though I don’t fall into this category right now, certainly it applies to a lot of people. I recently moved to NYC for a job (and the job requires a lot of travel) I was in the city I moved from when the blizzard hit NYC. My flight was delayed for a day getting back. Otherwise it didn’t affect me too much. But a lot of people were affected. 

I found myself thinking “what would I do if I were stuck at an airport for 3 or 4 days due to a big storm” (or stuck on an airplane on the tarmac for 10 hours)I do tend to be the personality type that thinks about what I would do in any bad situation I hear about on the news. This was a new one for me. I will make a few changes in what I bring with me when I travel. 

Preparation is something EVERYONE should do. It’s not just for “peak oil nutcases”. Things happen. Blizzard, tornados, hurricanes, floods, earthquakes. Stories are still emerging from NYC. Streets went unplowed for days and days. People couldn’t get to work because they couldn’t get out of their street. Some stores couldn’t take deliveries. One woman called into a local TV station to report that her car was stuck, and all the stores within walking distance were out of milk. 

New Yorkers typically don’t cook much, the eat out a lot. How much better would many people been able to get through the blizzard if everybody had 3 days worth of food at home? How about 5 days? 

It doesn’t take much to slow down normal services. Strangely, in NYC the sanitation department is also responsible for snow removal. So there has been no trash pickup since the blizzard hit. They think maybe Monday they will start trash pickup.

On a side note, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the book “Your Money Or Your Life” It outlines a plan for being more in control of your finances, without imposing any categories or rules on you. Basically, the goal is to help you be more aware of what you are spending on and why. It talks some about rejecting consumerism. But the bottom line is thatmost people who follow the plan - and become aware of their spending (and track it!)-  make more mindful choices and generally improve their financial situation, no matter where they are starting from. 

[quote=homestead]Amanda, you’ve written a wonderful guideline, one of the best I’ve ever seen in over 10 years of scanning the posts on various prep oriented blogs/forums.  It’s practical and gives a tremendously helpful framework for building up one’s resources (Stuff, Skills, Social, Spiritual).  Your writing shows that you’ve put a lot of effort into learning about prepping, and you know how to organize the information and put it into a form that’s easy to read and absorb.  There are people who will be encouraged by what you’ve offered here.  
[/quote]
Amanda
You did an outstanding job!  I don’t like to just piggy-back on another’s remarks, but Homestead said what I was thinking.  I’m impressed at how comprehensive, clear, and practical your article is.  It take a lot of thought and experience to do that.  Your knowledge and writing are first rate.  Thank you.
Travlin 

It seems there’s an elephant in this forum. I’m hope we’re not talking just about power outages, earthquakes or losing unemployment insurance (UI), but more lasting and inclusive crises, with complex combinations of causes. Thus we need to look at long-term as well as short-term goals. In effect, most all of us are on various forms of ‘welfare’ (defined as the community contributing to the welfare of needy individuals). For a lot of us, this includes “make-work” welfare. UI, Social Security and others aren’t just about putting in money and getting it back, but putting it in when we have it, when we’re ‘rich’ and (supposed to be) getting it back when we’re ‘poor’.
I think I’m pretty well prepared, if conditions get severe while I’m still functional. My parents lived through the (soon to be former) Great Depression, one summer barely surviving by panning for gold in Northern CA. But they eventually found jobs and came out of it with a comfortable farm in the backwoods, shortly before I was born in '35. “Comfortable” means all the necessities, but no road, electricity or running water, only horse trails, a spring, a partly-built house, kerosene lamps and simple farming and carpentry skills. They finished and expanded the house (with some help and equipment from neighbors) and put in running water, but no indoor toilet. My father got work sometimes on local trails. We’ve generally considered those the best years of our lives. Come WWII, we moved to an Oakland suburb where they and my older brother worked in the shipyards, then to a more modern farm. Along the way I got a pretty rounded survival education, but also learned to think for myself, which tends to limit involvement in communities.
At first I thought the article was going to be only about financial security. I’ve never tried to make a lot of money, but I’ve never felt poor, maybe because I avoided financial dealings when possible and haven’t owned a car most of my adult life, when single. Haven’t had one for 15 years now, mostly ride a bike. Yes, I keep extra cash on hand, though only planning on it’s use for the short term, while it still has value. Gold and silver will also lose considerable value, especially if you live near someone with a lot, which also applies to most everything else.
Instead,  I gather things I think will be useful and have good trade value, such as  diversified craft skills, needles and thread, cord, rope, fishhooks, .22 calibre bullets, quart jam jars for canning (not mayo jars I’m told, because they’re not tempered for sudden temperature change and will crack). Being a handyman, I also save for reuse, hard steel, aluminum (in two varieties), polyethylene (which, like Al, can be melted, carefully, and remolded), containers of all sorts and possibly useful shapes of most everything I think won’t otherwise get efficiently reused. And yes, my apartment looks like a small version of the local reuse/recycle business, though not as neat. The trouble is, there’s too much stuff in the category of miscellaneous. A paradigm for the not too distant future is going to be “Reduce, reuse, repair, reuse, rethink, reuse.” Then start again from the beginning. Plastic used and not casually discarded at least represents petroleum consumed and carbon sequestered, kept out of the atmosphere, which may be the main solutions we’ll actually use against global warming.
Though I consider myself a “generalist”,  a recent specialization I’m developing is in tying simple but useful knots, well beyond what I’ve found in books. One thing I’d like to learn more about is making thread/string/cord/rope from wild fibers, of which we have several possibilities here in western Oregon.
I never was very enthusiastic about farming. The most I’ve done in recent years was a small patch of potatoes (easy if you can keep the gophers out) in practice for Y2K. Some early cultures depended mainly on corn, beans and squash. The beans climb, as they need to, on the corn and the squash gets the shade it needs from both the others, as I understand it. The combimation furnishes energy, complementary proteins and vitamins. For the longer term, also plant fruit trees, but learn early about grafting and pruning. I’ve wondered also about the possibility of growing wood in needed shapes, such as at least the framework for furniture.
 I recently joined a “Transition Town” group based on “The Transition Handbook” by Rob Hopkins. But I find the book mostly about getting in the spirit and having meetings. I prefer “When Technology Fails” by Matthew Stein, about actual survival skills.
My definition of “good” tends to be what’s good for the greater community, whether Gaia, humanity, nation or local. Since we’re mortal, our individual lives are not as important as what we can pass on to the greater community and it’s potentially infinite future. But I’d like to be passing it on in the growing phase, not just the collapsing phase.
I don’t know how often I’ll get back here, so please copy responses to danrob@efn.org.