Problem Solving: Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

Hang in there, joemanc.  I have lived my entire life in snow and ice country.   I could tell you story after story about “relentless snow and ice” - some very recent experiences…  But,  it seems the problem is not snow and ice but the physical exhaustion and mental anxiety that the snow and ice is causing. 
The physical exhaustion and mental anxiety could be part of any physical demanding work or duty.  Maybe this experience will help…

I managed a project once that required clean rail cars to ship coal.   In the winter, open rail cars would come in and some of them had from 1 to 20 tons of product in them mixed with ice and snow.   The work required using propane weed torches under each hopper to thaw the ice, then you got inside the hopper and with shovels and a long heavy bar,.  you broke up the junk, snow and ice until it came out the bottom of the car.  Then you hand shoveled the blocks of snow and ice out of the way.    I had a crew of 5 that would perform this work. But after an all night partying binge and a routine drug test elimination round, I had to let them go.  This was during the peak demand for coal.   it was up to yours truly to clean them. for a couple of weeks until we could rehire.   Otherwise, a college would be without heat and I would lose my best customer.   The weather was subzero cold.   I cleaned rail cars for 18 days straight.  About 5 cars a day was all I could handle.  I was exhausted every day.  All it seemed that I did was eat, sleep, drink and clean cars. 

Then, one day I realized a few things.  First, it was absolutely beautiful out there.  The air was crisp and clean.  The snow and ice gave the landscape a bright wihite surreal glow.  Sounds were deadened but you could pick out the tiniest bird sound or water drip.  I liked getting my body warmed up and just picking my way though the day.  No politics.  No BS.  Just work, eat, drink, breathe, work, eat, drink, breathe,  work, eat, drink, breathe…

Second, I liked the sense of accomplishment.  I knew what I had to do, how to do it and what the end result was.  I knew people on the end of that shipment counted on me and it was up to me to deliver.   I was a part of something bigger than myself. 

Third, I was learning to love it.   I remember watching a Disney movie with my daughter called “Holes”  where boys at a corrections facility were required to dig a hole everyday as round and as deep as their shovel handles.  One boys to everyone’s amazement (and worry for his mental state) exclaimed, “I LOVE to dig holes!”.   I was geting to where I loved cleaning cars.  Like the boy in the movie, I was empowered.  Digging holes was supposed to be demeaning and punishing.  And for a degreed engineer and manager, cleaning railcars should have probably been demeaning and punishing but it wasnt - I friggin’ liked it!

So, joemanc, here is my advice.  Safety first.  Dont kill yourself.  Pace yourself.  Hard work won’t hurt you.  Stress and accidents will. Take each and every moment one step at a time.  Dont try to eat the elephant in one sitting.  Just take one bite at a time and work your way through it.  

Second, get the best eats, drinks and rest you can muster.  You need hydration and food to keep your body and mind going. You need sleep and rest for your body to heal. 

Third, engage your creative mind.  Relax and think it through.  Prioritize the work.  If the urgency is roof collapse, then figure out where the weak areas of the house and focus on those.   Get help if you can find it.  Find some youth to help you.  Maybe a neighbor with a tractor needs a snow rake.  Rake off his roof and have him move snow around the housewith his tractor.  Figure out a better way. 

Fourth, reach deep and enjoy the moment.  Eventually, winter will break and spring will bring new beginnings. 

Hope this helps…

Great story, pinecarr!  
Eccentric geniuses always have the last laugh!   But, you only figure out the genius part after the fact… Tongue out

Dear MooselickYou inspired me. I went out today in the heat (southern hemisphere) and put a concrete / cement slab down for my chicken coop. It’s a job I have been putting off for two months now.
I am tired and I am ready to go to sleep, but I am very satisfied.

Thanks.

Congratulations, Nigel!  Sweat equity is an investment that will never let you down.  Sleep well.

Mooselick,
Simply Awesome.  Thanks for sharing!

Gr, Jo

mooselick7
This is a great article. I have shared it on facebook. The time and effort you put into this is apprecated. Hopefully by sharing it with others the ripple effect will continue to multipy the blessings that will come back to you.

Great contribution Moose…I really enjoyed the read.

Interesting, moose, but you lost me at “steal”. Maybe it was hyperbole or for effect but give me a break. If they spoke honestly, most of the posters here at CM would grab a Glock if they saw you stealing their stuff. Their families come first.Clunked an otherwise interesting read for me.

CS

[quote=capesurvivor]Interesting, moose, but you lost me at “steal”. Maybe it was hyperbole or for effect but give me a break. If they spoke honestly, most of the posters here at CM would grab a Glock if they saw you stealing their stuff. Their families come first.
Clunked an otherwise interesting read for me.
[/quote]
It was neither hyperbole or for effect or to be dramatic.  It is simply one option among many suggested.  And, I did say that I did NOT recommend it. 
The article was intended to encourage people to think critically and objectively through their options.  Critically and objectively, I would not walk into a CM posters house to steal a loaf of bread.  Especially not a Glock toting CM poster. If I did, being a critical thinker, I would make sure a Glock toting CM poster is not home in the first place.  And, I would make sure to make it completely worth the risks by cleaning out all your rations, firearms and PMs.  Again NOT RECOMMENDED for a multitude of reasons. 
But, let’s change the situation.  If you were in a POW camp and barely staying alive eating bugs and weeds, would you steal a loaf of bread?  From your captors?  Damn straight. (I have a family friend who had to do just that.) How about from your fellow prisoners?  Probably not.   Would I cannabalize?  Damn straight.
If my daughter needed medical attention, would I pilfer medical supplies from a closed drug store if I had no other alternative?  Damn straight.  Would I steal gas to get out of a bad situation? Damn straight.  
If I were a college student and needed to get by for three more months without any money, would I poach deer (technically stealing from the public)?  Would I ignore the “Keep Out” signs on the dumpsters behind the grocery and dive in to “steal” stale vegetables cleaned out of the produce section every Tuesday at 9:30 pm?   Damn straight - I got the T-shirt on being a starving college kid. 
Let’s say you were mountaineering and your buddy broke his leg.  (This was before cellphones and panic button receivers.)  You then performed first aid and left him with what was left of the food.  You hiked out 6 hours to the nearest trailhead.  You got to the trailhead and your battery is dead.  No one is around and probably wont be around for days.  It is 12 miles back to a more traveled road.  There is an ATV four wheeler there.  You hotwire it, get help and return it.  Was it the right thing to do?  No.  Did the owner understand the circumstances and not press charges?  No.  (Heard about this one on the local news)
Would I make amends in any way possible for all of the above?  Damn straight - because what comes around goes around - karma is very real.
If the article “clunked” at the word “steal”, then the intent of the article was lost for you.
BTW go with a Rem 870 12 guage riot gun instead of a glock.  More to clean up but it is a lot harder to miss and usually the red mist scares away any of their friends.

This might best be served as an additional thread… So as not to distract from the main points here. 
Personally, I’m on Cape’s side - Stealing out of necessity in certain situations can be justified, but once we start talking about the justification of thefts (which by nature have a perpetrator and a victim) and moral relativism, we open Pandora’s box with regards to the “line” between right and wrong.

It’s easy to “justify” theft based on need, but after a certain point, you’ve got to realize it’s just plain wrong. 
If it isn’t yours, you shouldn’t be taking it. This is coming from someone who’s been ripped off for valuables all his life, so I’ll admit I’m biased. I absolutely hate thievery.

Also, I’m not advocating cannibalism. It just isn’t wise.
Even in a pinch, it’s a recipe for dis…dysentery. No pun intended.
While in most inter-species diseases that can be spread by consumption of contaminated meat, the parasite must ‘mutate’ in order to survive in the new species of host. With humans, you share a common immune system profile and common physiology - meaning any disease you ingest found in a deceased human being doesn’t have to mutate (or mutate as much) to survive in your body. Afterall, you’re producing the same body temperature, using a bi-carbonate buffer system, have common anatomical attributes and systemics. 

For this reason, I think the “At all costs” approach fails in some key logical aspects. 
The only reason cannibalism worked for the Uraguayan Soccer team was that the temperatures in the Andes were so low that the meat was essentially refrigerated. As soon as Nando Parrado and Roberto Canessa descended - the meat they were carrying spoiled, leading to a horrifying and life threatening case of dysentery for Canessa. 

If you needed medicine, guns, ammunition, food or anything else - you’d be far better off just asking for it.
I can’t justify certain things purely for my own survival…
Especially with regards to cannibalism - I’m carrying the fire.

Just my dos centavos.
Cheers,

Aaron 

Excellent!

[quote=Aaron Moyer]This might best be served as an additional thread… So as not to distract from the main points here. 
Personally, I’m on Cape’s side - Stealing out of necessity in certain situations can be justified, but once we start talking about the justification of thefts (which by nature have a perpetrator and a victim) and moral relativism, we open Pandora’s box with regards to the “line” between right and wrong.
It’s easy to “justify” theft based on need, but after a certain point, you’ve got to realize it’s just plain wrong. If it isn’t yours, you shouldn’t be taking it. This is coming from someone who’s been ripped off for valuables all his life, so I’ll admit I’m biased. I absolutely hate thievery.
Also, I’m not advocating cannibalism. It just isn’t wise. Even in a pinch, it’s a recipe for dis…dysentery. No pun intended.
While in most inter-species diseases that can be spread by consumption of contaminated meat, the parasite must ‘mutate’ in order to survive in the new species of host. With humans, you share a common immune system profile and common physiology - meaning any disease you ingest found in a deceased human being doesn’t have to mutate (or mutate as much) to survive in your body. Afterall, you’re producing the same body temperature, using a bi-carbonate buffer system, have common anatomical attributes and systemics. 
For this reason, I think the “At all costs” approach fails in some key logical aspects. The only reason cannibalism worked for the Uraguayan Soccer team was that the temperatures in the Andes were so low that the meat was essentially refrigerated. As soon as Nando Parrado and Roberto Canessa descended - the meat they were carrying spoiled, leading to a horrifying and life threatening case of dysentery for Canessa. 
If you needed medicine, guns, ammunition, food or anything else - you’d be far better off just asking for it.I can’t justify certain things purely for my own survival…Especially with regards to cannibalism - I’m carrying the fire.
Just my dos centavos.Cheers,
Aaron 
[/quote]
Once again:  Stealing - NOT RECOMMENDED!
Life or death.  The POW friend I spoke of… He had to eat or die.  The people in his POW camp who survived, ate ANYTHING - weeds, bugs, feces,dirt,  bark, roots - ANYTHING. I was 10 when I heard his story and it has stayed with me to this day. He was very matter of fact about it.   I could go into finer detail but quite frankly it would sicken this audience.  In a nutshell… In his words," the only ones who survived were the ones who looked for EVERY opportunity to get food.  If you didnt, you died."
There was no charity.  There was no food.  There was no other choices.
Most people when faced with those choices will say no…they’d rather die.   Some people would rather die than go dumpster diving for stale vegetables.  Some people would rather die than eat a rat.   Some people will adapt to those choices.  Some will overcome those situations.  Some will not.
People can expound their morals or hygene or beliefs all they want but when it is a matter of life or death for you or a loved one, you WILL make different decisions.

Now, can we get back to stories about fixing cars with springs from a retractable ball point pen and moving houses with a few hydraulic jacks and a lot of beer? 

Mooselick,Nice Post. This about wraps up the discussion on preparedness, self sufficiency & resiliance as far as I can see. How much more can be said on that topic? Of course we can go on with several more rounds of discussion but that would be just avoiding the real issue which is “what comes next?”
After a period of crisis/transition where are we going to end up? What responsibility does the prepared community have in making sure the social arrangements on the other side of the crisis are worthwhile? What obligations do we have toward our fellow humans along the way? It seems to me that by virtue of our preparedness we are obliged to take a leadership role in visualising and transitioning to a functioning, just, post crisis society. 
Appreciate your thoughts.

Max Bach

[quote=maxwellbach]Mooselick,
Nice Post. This about wraps up the discussion on preparedness, self sufficiency & resiliance as far as I can see. How much more can be said on that topic? Of course we can go on with several more rounds of discussion but that would be just avoiding the real issue which is “what comes next?”
After a period of crisis/transition where are we going to end up? What responsibility does the prepared community have in making sure the social arrangements on the other side of the crisis are worthwhile? What obligations do we have toward our fellow humans along the way? It seems to me that by virtue of our preparedness we are obliged to take a leadership role in visualising and transitioning to a functioning, just, post crisis society. 
Appreciate your thoughts.
Max Bach
[/quote]
Max:
Here are my thoughts.
First, I DID NOT spend my life learning to improvise, adapt and overcome to prepare for impending doom.  I simply did it because I enjoy it.  Making do with what I have around me.   Learning to be comfortable in uncomfortable situations.  Learning to meet challenges.  Some people flyfish or golf - I went backcountry hut skiing in CO and spend a night in a snowtrench. ( Long story.)  My point is this…   I am not a prepper.  My actions ARE NOT motivated by impending doom or crisis.   I simply love to learn and grow.    My father was the same way.  Many of my friends also share this.  Here is a book that helped me understand this drive: http://www.amazon.com/Flow-Psychology-Experience-Mihaly-Csikszentmihalyi/dp/0061339202/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297659959&sr=8-1
Even if suddenly, the world becomes a stable utopia of unlimited resources and exponential growth, I will continue to do what I have always done. 
 “After a period of crisis/transition where are we going to end up?”  
I believe in Chris’ prediction that change will occur in “short, sharp shocks”.   There will be crisis after crisis where goods and services we take for granted become unavailable with promises of their return that are never honored. 
For sure, each step will bring challenges.  Our communities will be an intergral part of overcoming them.   We must start now building our relationships with our neighbors.   IMHO those that just sit on their rations, PMs and gear while cleaning their guns are practically just begging for a fight.  A fight they will never win because it will never end.
Now, with all that being said, I am really going to move out on the end of the limb by saying that, after the dust settles, the world will be a BETTER place.   I have to believe that we will eventually build a sustainable world that is cleaner, less hurried, simpler with more time to enjoy the natural world.
My role in creating that world will not be the same as your world or anyone elses.  My role will be part teacher, part leader, part father, part businessman, part engineer, part problem solver, part philosopher, part gardener… part whatever I can contribute.  Everyone’s role will be different.   I know there are movements such as transitions towns etc that organize all this action into a nice, proactive package.  However, not every neighborhood or rural community is the same.  I can tell you that my little community is probably one of the most resilient around and they dont even know it.  There are pockets of communities all over the US that will handle any strife with minimal disruption.
I will give until it hurts but some tough love will be required if they wont help themselves. I will fight but Im not going to look for one.   I will try to warn folks about whats coming but if they dont listen, it will be “Live and Let Live”.   I will teach but only to those that are ready to learn.
I believe that people make choices out of fear or out of love.  Regardless of what comes down the pike, I hope to make choices out of love wherever possible.
Hope this answers your questions…

[quote=mooselick]
My role in creating that world will not be the same as your world or anyone elses.  My role will be part teacher, part leader, part father, part businessman, part engineer, part problem solver, part philosopher, part gardener… part whatever I can contribute.  Everyone’s role will be different.   I know there are movements such as transitions towns etc that organize all this action into a nice, proactive package.  However, not every neighborhood or rural community is the same.  I can tell you that my little community is probably one of the most resilient around and they dont even know it.  There are pockets of communities all over the US that will handle any strife with minimal disruption.

I will give until it hurts but some tough love will be required if they wont help themselves. I will fight but Im not going to look for one.   I will try to warn folks about whats coming but if they dont listen, it will be “Live and Let Live”.   I will teach but only to those that are ready to learn.

I believe that people make choices out of fear or out of love.  Regardless of what comes down the pike, I hope to make choices out of love wherever possible. [/quote]

+1 Mooselick, I like the way you roll!

Mooselick, I’d be really surprised if your last post didn’t  resonate with and describe about 95% of the folks here at CM.  Well, at least it sure fit me to a tee.  Well stated.  Aloha, Steve.

Well, this report has been archived and my five minutes of fame is over. 
I just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback and kind words.  All good.

Also wanted to invite you to contact me if you are working through a problem… Or need a resource.  Or maybe in a situation you are trying to adjust to.  Or, reached some insight.  Or, an ancestoral gift you discovered.   Or, were put to a test that changed you on the other side.  

Send me a PM and we will explore together.  And, if you need help that I cant provide, we will look for someone who can help you.  

These are the things I live for.   Thanks again for this fantastic opportunity!

Webnomics Technologies is a asp web development and outsourcing company providing affordable design and development services. Now a new project of Virtual IT launched as a Virtual dj…(Forex Trading ) Webnomics technologies has their expertise in Forex Market and travel industry which provide most latest Forex Trading, Forex Broker and updates. Webnomics Technologies also have travel services for the one Cheap Trip Booking booking. Webnomics technologies has a software development department to provide Modern Software | Best Travel Deals | Travel Insurance | web development