Selecting a Firearm

Nice work on this Aaron,
I’d like to add to the discussion of deciding to buy a gun based on whether or not you think you could actually use it to shoot a person.  My advice is for someone to really think that through.  It may be easy to think that you could not do it if you are thinking about it while sitting behind a computer in a warm house while the Dow floats around 11,000.  But think ahead to a possible future where you wake one morning to discover your neighbors suffered a home invasion that ended up with them being raped and murdered.  The world today is nothing like the world we are heading in towards.

No matter what degree you think the world will change, everyone agrees that it will be a world with fewer police resources and with higher crime.  If we should go down the worst of the possible outcomes, that will not be the time to try to buy a gun, find ammunition and learn to carry and use it.  To wait until then will be to lose out on the ability to learn what firearm works for you, learn to use it, learn how to carry it and learn to be comfortable with it.  We currently have the luxury of a peaceful atmosphere in which to learn these things.  

To wait until the crisis is upon us could put you in the middle of a crowd that is clamboring for a gun at any price.  You may not get what works best for you and will spend a lot more of your purchase/barter resources to get one.  Then, once you have one, the cost of ammo will prevent you from learning to use it well enough to be effective.

My advice is to think it through, not from today’s perspective, but from that which you believe is possible in the future.  Then, if you think you could defend your family with a gun, buy one now.  Learn to shoot it and get comfortable carrying it while we have the ability to do that in a peaceful society.

Also, buy a good pair of earmuffs and shooting glasses to go with it.  Electronic earmuffs that work pretty well can be bought for around $30 and really are worth having.  A good pair of shooting glasses is a must as well.

Tim

There have been several comments now, to paraphrase:
"Be prepared to take a life before you buy your weapon."

While I don’t think anyone has minimized this issue at all, I do think it bears some scruitiny.

Preemption vs Reaction

Thinking on this issue is entirely different than acting.
I have a close friend who’ve I known for decades. He’s an extremely non-violent type, has never owned a firearm and never expressed any interest in owning one. Raised in a violent metropolis, he’s been harassed, intimidated and generally abused by the urban lifestyle. But he maintains it’s not something he’d ever need.

One time, we were driving through a parking lot and someone pulled a real crazy cut-off stunt - the natural reaction was layin’ on the horn. The car skidded to a stop, and a couple guys jump out, grabbing at their trousers as if to pull a weapon (intimidation, generally lacking in substance. Real bad guys don’t ‘pretend’) and he immediately defaulted to looking at me like I was going to solve the situation with a gun. Didn’t end up materializing that way, thank God, but the anecdote is to show that when it comes to situations that might potentially threaten your life, your personal politics or philosophies on use of force go straight out the window. This wasn’t the first or last time something similar had happend… but more on that later.
Nothing can prepare you

My dad used to tell me "The only worse feeling than holding someone at gunpoint, is being held at gunpoint". 
That was the philosophy that was reiterated throughout my youth, but by the first time it’d happened, I was in my teens and felt absolutely nothing other than the fear of the situation. Never really had time to think about it until much later. I had almost zero training at the point, and the experience pushed me over the cliff. I had the possession, but nothing of the skillset, mindset or tactical knowledge I’d need to address worse situation in the future.
If you asked me then if I could kill someone - the answer would be yes, absolutely. In the situation, it was not a decision, so much as a reaction, and I put little or no preemptive thought into it. So, in a way, my dad was right… but it was that I lacked skill. I feared that I wouldn’t be able to match the bad guys. I feared that I’d be inable to work the equipment properly, or it wouldn’t work.

I had a firearm back then because it was rural America, and perfectly acceptable. I never thought about taking life, and it wasn’t until I had to turn that instinct on that I realized how horribly unequipped I was to deal with such a thing.
There is a difference

A lot of discussion on the topic of killing comes from wars. No different than technology, surgury or cultural phenomenon that occurs with wars, we shape our culture’s perspective on killing by our experience in war. War is different than defense. When you’re ordered to engage enemy targets, they may not be presenting you a threat, and all of a sudden, preemption and all the guilt and problems associated with it kick on. You might begin to consider things about that person that you wouldn’t if they were attacking you as a person, rather than a ‘enemy troop’, or fighting an ideology. Especially if you’ve entered a soverign nation, and are fighting populists (Viet Nam), your concept of taking life might be horrendously skewed by the displays of committment, brutality and human nature evident in wartime situations. While I’m certainly no expert, and there are many more qualified to speak on the subject, I view this is as serious cultural crossroads that deliniates say, WII, from Viet Nam.
Concept over Possession

With these thing in consideration, I think that good people even ‘having’ a gun is better than them not purchasing one because they’re simply scared of the device itself. At that critical juncture where they are more scared by situational circumstances, the ability to defend themselves is a cruicially important decision.

There are plenty of folks who target shoot or hunt who don’t consider mortal altercations can turn situations around.
All this does not change the fact that anyone who owns a gun should at a minimum know the nomanclature listed here, the rules of safety, and as mentioned by JDavis, that you are able to assemble and disassemble your weapon for cleaning.
As Tim pointed out, think less about right now, and more about a future in which desperation, crime and poverty have risen. This is a likely outcome, but even if it fails to come around, the point brought up by Badscooter - firearms hold their value very well. (By the way, It’d be good to meet up for some coffee).
In short, I’d like for everyone to be able to do what Butterflywoman and Sager have done - taken a very proactive, practical position, made determinations based on their situations and needs, and followed through with a very big responsibility.

Cheers,
Aaron

Hi Aaron,
On your point #4, that is one (of the three) reasons I think it wise to have more than what I’ve got the two hands for…if things really do go seriously south, I could see being the one providing the otherwise impromptu "neighborhood watch" with some teeth, some gear, and some training.  Same people who wouldn’t care to own or learn about firearms in more stable and sane times.  

In my head sticks the image of the Korean shopkeepers during the LA riots, successfully securing their own perimeter.  I don’t know that anyone else within a mile of me thinks likewise, or sees the potential for at least a temporary, localized collapse of law and order,  and I’d just as soon be the one doing the providing than the one doing the needing.

Incidentally, there are very few people that realize what steps I’ve taken (none, in my immediate neighborhood), and if nothing very bad ever happens, that is the way it will stay.  

See you,

Mike

Given this thread’s focus on firearms for self defense, there are a few other things folks here might want to consider.

If you’re living in an area where the potential for crime or civic unrest makes owning a gun for self-defense seems like a necessity, you might want to move someplace safer.  Personally, I’d look at areas with low population densities, good soil & water, and a nearby rail line, and I’d stay away from spots where climate change is liable to flood you out or turn your backyard into a dustbowl.

I’d also pay more attention to your skills.  If you’re worried about your safety, or your family’s, take classes on self-defense and awareness.  I’m no expert, but I’ve trained with enough current and ex-special forces to know that your weapon isn’t what makes you dangerous. 

Finally, the thing that’s going to get us through what’s coming is an emphasis on neighbors & community.  You’re better off building those bonds now rather than later. 

Cheers.

TT

this is a nice article regarding the choosing of guns. however with a gun in hand, it is also best if you could purchase a body armor just in case something bad might happen.

http://www.bulletproofvestshop.com/categories/Bullet-Proof-Vests-Body-Armors/

Thank you kindly for post. I can learn to make purchases based on solid logic, proven performance, and your projected needs. So much options i have never see before.I'm common rail come from sensor