Stocks gain on horrible economic news

@gak

Your comments convey a knowledge of the markets. Could you expand on your rationale to the above statement. Believe I catch generally what your saying. But the specifics of your reasonaing in our situation could be helpful in wrestling with the "Big Picture".

Thx.

Nichoman

There is this relentless will by all the nations to print more money in to the system as fast a possible.

Nov. 26 - The European Commission unveils a 260 billion dollar scheme to revive the bloc’s struggling economies. Oil is pushing, Russia is cutting production. BP, ESSO and OPEC do not want deflation of oil to fall any further. It is almost like a lot of stock traders are in denial. Yet there are no other options open here, you cannot just down tools and walk away every one is in a place of anxiety waiting and willing.

To quote Gak "we might skip inflation and just head into hyper inflation" this looks possible. Deflation is not going to happen.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cziN3gt-hic&feature=related

Lemma 1(from the Principia Economica de Philosophy UnNaturno) " The kind of profit you may find in your shorts is not one that will be accepted by a bank", wdstk46, and much of our business now seems to be supported by deposits made on the banks of the Nile. Incidentally, since the erection of the Aswan high dams, the Nile is not allowed to overflow its banks and therefore there are no yearly deposits made on the banks-which makes this an ironic commentary, allegorical of the condition of our U.S. Banks where the lack of savings deposits has definitely eroded our banks, and the flood of cheap money will destroy any hope of growth in most of our fields of business.
The disconcerting linkages of the worlds fiat currencies seems to be turning all to fahrt currencies i.e. they are highly inflatulated, are beginning to smell very bad, and will dissipate into thin air once released.
Most first year economics students, will soon realize that supported currencies suffer from the same delusion; the almost universal adoration of noble metals by human beings, and the concomitant limited practical value, and unreliable minimal distribution in the earth’s crust. But no! You say, this very scarcity generated value and served as a break to run-away economic expansion. Q.e.d, which is why paper money, was supported by the noble metal illusion for so long. BUT, the lack of specie led to piracy in the Americas during the 17th & 18th centuries and currently around the Horn of Africa. AND will do so in the rest of the world should all paper currencies be devalued due to inflation. The toughest Burmese Bandit will most definitely understand it.
Furthermore, the mounting lack of species is putting all our little dreams @ risk, and in mortal danger, because of the devilish interconnectedness of ALL ecologies (all Biomes interact at any distance, over time) Yes Virginia, sandstorms in the Sahara subvert your Turkey stuffing at Thanksgiving.
A fine kettle of fish say I, and not from Marseilles. Both the Ludic and Gaussian fantasies (errors) prevent most economists from using the proper mathematical tools to view economic conditions accurately. There is nothing sacred about mathematical results. Garbage in: Garbage out! Mathematics, is a deductive discipline; it is useful only to the degree it mimics reality (i.e. Nature, conditions, dynamics etc…) In the physical sciences (Chemistry, Physics, Geology, Astronomy) it is more usefull because it reflects the laws governing large numbers moving more or less randomly. BUT only over limited ranges with specific applications intended. Einstein failed in his general theory (quantum mechanics not withstanding) and so will you if you try to generalize economics. The human element is chaotic. It is more likely to follow fractured geometry than fractal geometry’s (apologies to B. Mandelbrot) but may follow both. (Do " Fractured Fairy Tales" ring a bell?)
I take issue with CM’s definition of money as "a claim on human labor” While this implies WORK and work requires energy (in any sense) it suffers by pandering to a Marxian view (Karl not Groucho) of the value of work. Most of you readers grew up in a world where you had to work (do recognized valued activities) to earn money. You were most often paid for the time you spent doing "useful " work rather than being paid for the result of your labor (i.e. a freshly painted house, a repaired car a new set of cloths). Hence, the impression that work-time has value and leading to the statement " time is money"
THIS IS COMPLETELY TRUE IF AND ONLY IF, WORK (YOUR WORK) YEILDS VALUBLE (GENERALLY ACCEPTABLE BY MOST VIEWERS) RESULTS FOR ALL SUBDIVISIONS OF TIME.
Before you have finished reading the above short statement you must see the error in this assumption. You counter with " we don’t need to nit-pick". Ah, but the devil is in the details. For instance, for a poor impoverished farmer, many place in the world, a whole years worth of work becomes valueless if his crops are destroyed before he can use them or sell them. Unlikely? Not at all. Is it then that time be money only in 1st world nations? In world trade, goods are more often valued than services, and the amount of human labor attached to these goods is ignored. Conversely, Clinton (either one) is paid large sums of money for prattling, gibbering, babbling, prating and braying to an audience of enraptured oafs for an hour or less. Unlikely C.M.? I think not. Where is the work (mass through distance) in the second example? "There ain’t none" unless you consider breathing "useful" work. Getting muddy isn’t it? Both of my examples are not outlandish. So then, is the key, value? The value we assign to things, which determine cost in generally, accepted media of exchange? And Bingo, we have come full circle. So, the tea is in the pot and the pot is in the tea eh? The medium has an assigned value for goods and services and debt, and intangibles and …and …And is a book then a purveyor of ideas or a lump of macerated, pressed dried and printed on poly beta 1-4 glucosyl glucoside linked by fillers, binders and whitening agents? Or a set of images on a TFT LCD screen? or…
And we are left with accepted value, generally recognized.
Confederate paper money became valueless in an instant after surrender of RE Lee and the capture of Jefferson Davis. Gold and silver retained their value in the south-accepted value, generally recognized; even though both require human input to have value and would be valueless to a raccoon who would never the less recognize the value of a beef steak. (And would undertake great risk to steal it from you if he were starving, as will starving people)
So despite the over printing of any treasury, any money can retain value as long as it is generally accepted and generally recognized.
Is it then periods of inflation that inflate the cost of goods and services because there are too many buyers and not enough sellers (easy money)?
And are deflationary periods necessary to regain balance, at unfair cost to the poor and disadvantaged?
I think, therefore that money management must incorporate all aspects of supply, demand, the necessity of capital concentration, and the realistic redistribution of "wealth" with a human face and incorporating group needs irrespective of the wishes of the rich, the powerful, the greedy, and the all too many stupids, not withstanding the enormous complexities of our global financial systems.(Nonzero1=nonzerosum)
The responsibility is yours and mine to the exclusion of the sociopaths. We will probably never again have such an opportunity.
Vestri servus, (your {pl.pos.}, servant)
gsmolk
SALVO PLANETAE SUPRIMA LEX ESTO

RubberRims & Nichoman,

I don't claim any special knowledge of the markets. I can lose (and have lost) money with the best of them. I have been invested in the markets since the 70's (thanks Uncle Raymond!) and have been studying them and trying to learn their ways ever since; I am still as confused today as I was back then :)
With that said, my reasoning goes like this:
1. Mish is right. We are in the late beginning early middle of a *MASSIVE* deleveraging episode. Its epicenter is in housing markets *across the country*. As an example, look at one community in CA. The Case Shiller report that came out this week (http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2008/11/case-shiller-and-car-analysis-november.html ) showed that Monterey County has recorded a *65%* drop in housing prices, from $800K to $300K.
That is huge. Please think about the implications of that for a second. Pretend you "own" that house. Feel like buying *anything* when your net worth just took a $500K drop in less than 2 years. This is an example of course, but this type of loss is happening in markets *across* the nation.
2. As a result of one above, you (generic you) have two choices in your microeconomic situation and both are *Extremely* deflationary to the economy as a whole:
a. If you are one of the people in this situation (or if you live in a neighborhood that has this happening) then you are feeling it directly. Does owing more than $500K than it is worth on a house make you want to go out and spend? Take on new debt? If you have altered your behaviour because of the the housing situation in your neighborhood and you are not spending like you used to, then you are contributing to the deflation.
b. For those of you that live in neighborhoods that are *NOT* directly impacted by this activity, do you feel like taking on new debt? Or spending some $$ to buy whatever from HD? If you answered no to these questions, then again you should see how our microeconomic behavior is impacting the macro economic environment. But make no mistake, not being able to use your house as an ATM, and seeing 65% drops in housing worth is *hugely* deflationary.
3. But it gets worse than that, and this part is what has destroyed our banking system in the span of 2 months. Those stupid loans mentioned elsewhere (Liar loans, No docs, 125% financing, option interest, etc) were sold off to buyers (who were assured that it was *AAA* debt by Moody's, Fitch, etc). And this gets worse. These loans were split up so that portions of a *single* loan is now owned by 25 or 500 different investment groups in different investment packages. This is the slicing and dicing that you hear about and it is the Mortgage Securitization that you hear about.
Those financial institution that underwrote this and have huge exposure have taken huge hits. Whoops!! My bad. I am wrong!!! We, the US taxpayer and the citizens from China that are buying US T-Bills are taking those hits because our brilliant govt (both Bush and Obama) decided that the banks couldn't go down, so they decided to shift the TRILLIONS of dollars of bad debt from them to us. BRILLIANT!
All of those losses are being absorbed right now by the US gov't (Treasury, FDIC, etc) and the Fed as accounting entries. There really is not any new liquidity represented as cash that is in the average Joe's bank account. Banks aren't lending. The velocity of money is slowing down dramatically. Unemployment is on the rise w/ no sign of letting up. Commercial Real Estate is about to hit the crapper too. Because of all of the above, I think that the evidence is there to prove w/o question that we are in a massive deflationary episode now.
So what happens when the deflation cycle stops?
Well that is a tough one and it depends on the gov't. I know, not very comforting. But if I had to speculate, then here it is:
If Obama/Geidner continues down the path set by Bush/Paulson, then we turn into Japan Inc. We lose 5-10 years to deflation and we have Zombie companies because we didn't allow capitalism to run its course and flush out the weak companies. Instead we keep bad companies alive on life support and they reward us by producing horrible numbers quarter after quarter.
I think this happens until the gov't borrowing reaches a level when no one wants to buy a T-Bill. Once that happens, then the hyper inflation sets in as they have no choice but to debase the currency to pay the bills. Granted $100, will be worth $1 in the beginning, but they will still be able to stay solvent and not renege on their debts.
And then the currency collapses, and we start WWIII.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Gak

Hear Here for Nonzerone! So how do we go about getting this noticed? I for one what to get up off my Ass!

I think Faber’s tennis ball analogy was at or about the 6-7 minute point

http://seekingalpha.com/article/100771-throwing-cold-water-on-today-s-rally-mark-faber