Straight Talk with Mike Shedlock (aka "Mish")

Sure enough, Zero Hedge is right on top of things.  The Kansas hedge fund manager I saw was Grantham.  And apparently Peter Orszag has joined in the bond-vigilante “cheque” call on King Benwapress:

The president's own former advisor, and now very much outspoken critic, Peter Orszag has joined the cool kids by releasing the following scathing oped in the NYT, whose topic is, drumroll, QE2: "by perpetuating an artificially low 10-year government bond rate, the Fed may be delaying the very fiscal policy action that the nation most needs, while doing little to boost an economy whose principal problem is not high long-term interest rates." The message, for anyone having read the prior two essays, or Zero Hedge, is nothing new. What is, is the massive onslaught by virtually everyone of any political and financial stature on this pretty much inevitable policy decision by Bernanke. The question we have is did Goldman's estimate that QE2 needs to be up to $4 trillion blow the party? Are expectations for future monetary easing so high (and unattainable) now that the market had to be artificially be pushed lower so there is some upside on November 3? Because for all those who b...
LINK

Mish rebuts Bill Gross’s stance as “Grossly Arrogant”  Meanwhile, all the Fed bashing (first by Gross, then by some hedge manager from Kansas on Bloomberg) apparently has taken some wind out of the sails of QE2 expectations, with uncle buck rallying.  Maybe QE2 will just remain that famous ocean-liner if Benwabwe’s printing press turns out to have a bond-vigilante induced paper jam.
I’m definitely going out for popcorn after work.  Things are getting vewy vewy intewesting.

I love all the great comments and votes of support for Adam’s brainchild which is this series.   To be crystal clear, the questions came from you, the audience, and this was not the result of me interviewing Mish as this article has been portrayed elsewhere on the net.
And I am deeply grateful to Mish for taking the time to share his brain with us.  It’s clear he put some time into composing his thoughts and I always appreciate when such care has been taken because there’s a much better chance that a good discussion that can change minds and shift perceptions will result.

The key issue here is not to get hung up on definitions of inflation or deflation, which are slippery at best (e.g. if deflation is a decrease in available money, what do we include as ‘money’ in our definition?), but to answer the burning question, “how do I preserve my wealth in the future?”

As I have regularly maintained in my deflation/inflation outlook it’s never a question of either/or.  It’s entirely possible to have both at the same time, or to have elements of either as subcomponents of a larger trend that is headed in the other direction.  For example, it’s possible to have food costs going up even as general deflation is gripping the land.

My views on this have also been pretty clear - I expect the US authorities (fiscal and monetary) to favor the relative ease of printing over the immediate pain of austerity.  So far, they have not disappointed me.

While we can debate whether the Fed can print enough to stave off deflation until the cows come home, there are two things I try and keep firmly in view:

1. So far, their efforts at printing have worked.  Armageddon has been held off, there have been no systemic failures, losses have been hidden, prices for most things have not fallen off a cliff.  We are now two years into the crisis and so far we have to (somewhat grudgingly) admit that the printing efforts have more or less worked.
  2. Peak oil is now closer than at the start of the crisis.  
I don't know exactly when peak oil will arrive on the international stage as something that is suddenly self-evident, but my analysis leads me to the range of 2013 to 2015.  But even if it comes much later the basic story is this: More and more printing (staving off the inevitable) will someday run smack-dab into peak oil.  

When it does?  All bets are off regarding the “prices of things.”  Some will drop horrendously, some will rise stratospherically.  We can only guess intelligently, place our bets, hedge them somewhat, and try and remind ourselves to be ready for anything.

I love what Mish had to say about probabilities and risk management.  There is much wisdom there.  

Beware certainty in these times.  That’s the most important lesson I’ve learned to date.  

Now let me undercut my own advice by telling you that I am utterly certain of one thing; whatever happens next, I will be surprised.

There’s lots of great info/muckracking going on over at 0H, but the comments section gets a bit “fraternity house” IMO.  

Second the thought that MH would make a good Straight Talk subject…

Viva – Sager

Thanks to Mish, Adam, and the Questionaires
+1    Wow this has been GREAT! I really enjoyed the deflation-inflation explanation.
  • So far, their efforts at printing have worked.  Armageddon has been held off, there have been no systemic failures, losses have been hidden, prices for most things have not fallen off a cliff.  We are now two years into the crisis and so far we have to (somewhat grudgingly) admit that the printing efforts have more or less worked.
  • This does seem to be the case at the moment but will QEII keep the ship on course or sink it in the end? So is Ben smarter than we know?

Hi Chris,

I wanted to share this with you…it IS going mainstream…right to the top! I don’t know if you have ever heard or checked out TED - but this is a very good place for these ideas to be heard…

http://www.ted.com/talks/tim_jackson_s_economic_reality_check.html

Best,

Margarida

(Oops, I posted this message originally in the wrong section…)
    Great read! Made me think about many things I had not given much thought.

I would have one comment though. Congress may be averse to sending personal checks to every family in the country or something, but it does not look like it will stop spending more and more for defense. Could that not cause hyperinflation? Going nuclear on “defense” (say a war on Iran), at the expense of education, health care, pension?

Samuel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLejvdqF23M
    Old but good…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idGjBIIhR1Q