The Burrito Index: Consumer Prices Have Soared 160% Since 2001

I consider health care-acquired infections (HAI) a major potential risk to health. However, I am not casting shade on medical tourism in general. There are plenty of reports of infections that develop after poor quality cosmetic procedures in this country too. 

As in the US, if you seek care, be aware that quality varies among facilities.It is not always easy to do the research as there are no mandatory national reporting requirements for HAI in the US.

Consider selecting a country for your medical tourism that conducts HAI surveillance and has a systematic system for HAI improvement to minimize risks.

I believe it's called the burrrrrrrrito index in Alaska. Sorry couldn't resist.

In the two years after the 2008 financial implosion, I saw supermarket prices go up between 25% and 100%.  But the financial websites I read never mentioned a thing.  I wrote to one of their reporters, asking why, and I got a reply, saying he'd look into it.  After that, crickets.  It sounds like a conspiracy theory, but most of the media has never covered real inflation.  Aside from some alternative web sites, the mainstream media is silent.
It is obvious to anybody trying to pay their bills, that income no longer covers expenses.  My local electric company sent me a congratulatory email because I had saved 35% more electricity than my most efficient neighbors.  That's because I don't turn on any lights until the sun goes down and and I don't turn on the air conditioner until the inside temperature gets near 80 degrees.  Otherwise they'd send me an utterly ridiculous bill!

Charles, we have a lot of parallels in our lives and careers.  Much to talk about. Were you at the Oliver Lee sit-in at UH?  My in state tuition there was $234 a year.  
Here's some more inflation, but it spans a greater period of time:

"In 1960, the average American male weighed about 166.3 pounds, which was the average weight for American women in 2010 at 166.2 pounds, which marks about a 18.5 percent increase. The average weight for women in 1960 was 140 pounds, according to the CDC report."

When cigarettes got more expensive, people smoked less, but as food got more expensive, people ate more. Consequently, fewer folks with lung cancer but more folks with obesity-caused heart disease, diabetes and other cancers. Obesity is the cash cow (no pun intended) of the health care industry. Inflation of waistlines gives rise to inflation of health care costs.

Rich,good to meet another UHM alumni…the Oliver Lee controversy was just before my time, I was still a high school senior in Honolulu then.
Your point about expanding waistlines and medical costs is an interesting one because it touches on some knotty issues not just in the measure of inflation but in the way we conduct our society/economy.

It happens that many members of my family and our friends' families are experiencing a bunch of health related difficulties or crises. In some cases, the side effects of very powerful medications are coming to haunt those who trusted the system's validation of the safety of taking blood thinners, statins, osteo-bone loss meds etc. for years. Very powerful meds that were considered 'safe" turn out not to be safe in terms of long-term side effects.

Meanwhile, the cost and variety of these drugs has soared.We are told we're much healthier and much better off than we were before these very costly drugs were available, but these calculations are made on very crude statistics such as lifespan, which I believe has topped out in the US. What about quality of life? What about the consequences of meds that turn out to be ineffective while causing huge harm via side effects that are difficult to follow with any precision, due to the individuality of the consequences?

In general, people blindly accept the system's orders to take numerous powerful drugs with multiple interactions and many serious side effects without question. The costs of these treatments has skyrocketed as pharma companies game the system to raise prices while the supposed gains in health/ well-being may be not just ephemeral but negative in the longer term. The truth is, nobody knows, because these meds are not fully tested for interactions or for a decade.

Tonight ZeroHedge has this graphic of the increases in premiums for ObamaCare for 2017.

I agree with your comment. I also think good decent vocational classes should be brought back to high schools.
If we collectively view something as compulsory , we should not have to pay for it, i.e. education and health care. If one is forced to participate (perceived necessary participation w college, legal forced participation w healthcare) it should not be something the individual has to pay for, imo. I encourage my children to not go to college. I will be 40 next year and I'm still paying off my students loans. My college education did nothing for me. When I wasn't staying home, I made more money waiting tables than I ever did or could in my field. I would be so much better off today without my "education" and it was a lot more affordable then.  

Scanning the internet, I came across this piece inspired by CHS's piece.
The Beef Pot Pie Index:

In a recent article you referenced the ’Burrito Index’ which is quite telling. This has gotten me to think about beef and chicken pot pies…

As a young man (1969-1970)… as a member of the Brotherhood of Railway, Airline and Steamship Clerks… I worked for the Union Pacific Railroad (DC&H division). During that time I was earning about $4.50/hour which returned me about $35/day.

In those days being challenged in the kitchen my main staple was chicken and beef pot pies. These were the ’standard’ pie which weighed in around 16 ounces and made for a filling meal… not the smaller version commonly seen today which is a 7 ounce pie. I used to purchase these at the local supermarket (I believe it was a Safeway) – 10 for $1.

In this context I was able to potentially purchase 350 beef and/or chicken potpies with a day’s pay. This was a time when gold was priced at $35/ounce. So it would also be true to state not only that I was earning one ounce of gold for a day’s work but that one ounce of gold could purchase 350 beef pot pies.

It is interesting that a similar pot pie currently sells at Amazon.com for about $4.00. Doing the math 350 of these pies would run about $1,400 which is not far from the current price for an ounce of gold.

I should also note that after working for the UPRR for several years I was able to quit work and get an undergraduate degree from a state university. This did put me in debt (tuition, room and board, books, all incidentals) to the tune of $1,700 – an amount that was easily serviced in those days.

What I feel I am unable to explain… certainly to anyone who did not live through this era… is the sense of empowerment that was derived from what I can only describe as ’Prosparity.’ After a lifetime of work I earn considerably more than minimum wage… more than the average wage in this country. But with respect to gold and its ’buying power’ – I earn about 1/2 what I did as a young man in 1969.

(Source)

What's important to consider here is that right around the time this gentleman remembers that one could live on the prevailing starter wage the net energy per capita of oil was hitting its maximum in the US.

It follows, to me at least, that abundant surplus energy can more readily support a broader cross section of the population with ease as compared to a diminished amount.

If we had been cognizant of the issue, steps could have been taken to assure that what surplus existed was dedicated as efficiently as possible, and shared equitably, which would have lengthened the period of ease.

Instead we pretended no such limits or practicalities applied to us humans (Motto; "We're really clever!") and so have been broadly confused about such things as the decline of the middle class, and increasing wealth gaps.

Yes, those trends have some basis in poor policy decisions but their actual roots lie in the  structural predicaments offered up by declining net energy and operating a debt-based money system.

here here CHS …  I am dealing with the side effects of a statin that was prescribed casually by the VA.
Took such a small dose that side effects were not considered, but thinking back on it, what positive effects could have been gained from such a small dose …  sure didn't provide evidence in followups.  Soon as my knees and hips get working again, going to get a soap box:  Folks…  do a little research on anything recommended for you and best bet, probably better off NOT putting anything into your body.

This is the elegant, simple construct that initially attracted me to your work;

their actual roots lie in the  structural predicaments offered up by declining net energy and operating a debt-based money system.
The juxtaposition of a debt-based money system, which operates best in an extractive, spend tomorrow today mode, with a finite earth that has passed the peak of many resources, most importantly cheap oil, is without a doubt the underlying truth of our predicament.  The third E (environment) problems follow right along on the heels of this extractive system.  

I appreciate the pot pie story…  especially how it shows that the pot pie vs Gold relationship hasn't changed… but the relationship between the currency and each of these certainly has.  The thing that changed is the money… it has borne the brunt the of the changes imposed by our predicament (along with the environment).

We are in a moment of time now where the elites that run our systems are working overtime to make this all seem to be not so.  Those of us who are awake can see the machinations behind these efforts, and know that they will ultimately fail in a way that leaves paper claims of all sorts worthless.  The writing is on the wall, whether you want to see it through the lens of burritos, pot pies, or the cost of your medical insurance.    

Minimum wage in 1969/70: $1.60/hr.
His wage in 1969/70  compared to minimum wage: $4.50/$1.60 = 2.81

Current minimum wage (federal): $7.25.

Current 2.81 * minimum wage: 20.37 - OK, some people with jobs like his might earn that much, but probably less.

minimum wage in 1969 adjusted for official inflation to 2015: $10.33

minimum wage in 1969 adjusted for the pot pie index in 2016: $64 (Wow, most professionals don't earn that much now! - and it's 6x the official inflation rate).

$4.50/hour corrected for the official inflation rate: $29.02 - nobody with a job like that earns that much today.

$4.50/hour corrected for the pot pie index: $180/hour - even most highly paid professionals don't earn that much today!

That sure puts things in  perspective.

This truly scandalous performance by governments in thrall to Neo-liberal doctrine has to be "managed" to hide from casual observers the true situation with inflation and almost all else today. The fed is theoretically monetary sovereign as is the government itself.  But paid shills in economics departments spin lies about government finances, making up stories the government can go broke over its expenses. It can't. Yarns that pensions cannot be met and that our children will have to fund this growing intergenerational debt. It won't. There is no pension debt unpayable by the fed. We are not in debt for any past pensions and will never be in debt for future ones. The fed issues payments ad hoc to pay every pension every welfare check, every health care expense. It can do it at any time and without having to save or borrow for it. It all demonstrates our political representatives are not worthy of their mandate. They are lazy and prefer to spout ideology with no independent thought as to how it works in the real world and becoming increasingly uncaring about it.They are just not competent and are not up to their job.

This is completely right-on! Everyone (including the sleepyheads) has to be noticing how expensive things are getting, without the corresponding increase in value of currency. It has gotten absolutely insane and can only go so far…

My friends all scoff at gold index or silver index. So I have two other indices that I like to use. 1.) Movie index. When I was a kid, there were two movie theatres I could walk to. One charged US$0.12 and the other charged US$0.14. Now my local theatre charges US$13.04. From about 1946 to 2016. 2.) Gasoline index. When I started driving about 1961, I could fill a car with gasoline for between 1 to 2 ounces of silver. Yesterday, I filled my car for about 1 ounce of silver. And in 1961, I was using 102 octane gasoline (white Amoco), and yesterday I was using low octane Speedway gasoline. And since you like food, the steak index. In early 1965, a local restaurant in Lockport, NY, used to charge $2.25 for filet mignon family style. Now here in New Jersey, closer to $22.50, but you can pay more.