The Crisis Explained

The runaway betting process Chris described also resembles the legislative process. An article linked on Drudge says that the original 3-page bailout bill is now up to … wait for it … 451 pages.

This 150-fold expansion in page count is a mirror of our deranged monetary process, in which the Federal Reserve has multiplied the quantity of dollars in circulation by several factors of ten in the 95 years of its existence. But now, Ben Bernanke is expanding the Fed’s balance sheet by about 20% per week … while our heroic KongressKlowns expand the word count of the bailout bill by about 20% per day. And my dismay and rage grow by about 20% per hour.

Welcome to Zimbabwe, comrades. Can you spare a million bucks for a cup of coffee? How about a million rounds for my Predator Perforator? Surprised

Unfortunately, some idiot made it possible to gamble with money that didn’t exist today but was to be repaid tomorrow!

Hi Nate,

It really wasn’t the content that Chris was providing that sparked this whole debate. There are those on the site that see it as a great resource for the general public and what I was a bit worried about and offended by some of the posts that readers like you and I have put up. Now I completely agree with the whole freedom of speech thing but as someone so eloquently put it, the discussion forums can scare off the general person who may see this as jsut another doom and gloom site and not get past the "riots in front of the museum/library". The forums could be organized a bit differently and buried further in the site but what should be highlighted is the Crash Course and Chris’ comments. Personally I would like to see more of Chris choosing certain posts who take the other side to his arguments and debating them as we all tend to learn more when 2 intelligent people express their views. I see all sorts of posts on this site, some of which have great, well thought of points, and others which are just fear mongering or advertising some other doomsayer service. Personally, I would like to screen those out, have a rating system on posts and the ability to put some on an ‘ignore’ list since there’s no doubt the content on this site is going to grow exponentially. The good stuff gets buried amongst the not so good stuff and it makes it a more difficult resource to use.

Chris,

I found your analogy to not only be entertaining reading, but also incredibly accurate. By the way the information on your site is refreshingly prepared and I’m pleased to see that there is a growing number of us researchers who are communicating the deeper understandings that are so necessary at this time of monumental and exhilarating times.

Your videos in fact mirror many of the videos that I have created for my own members . And great use of graphics by the way - keep up the great work!

For those who perhaps seek a more literal (and perhaps graphical) account of "the crisis explained" I offer the following account…

While the U.S government begins its global “sell” on the US$700
billion bailout plan, another untold story missed by the mainstream
media is quietly unfolding. While the Fed and the mass media continue to
divert public and investor attention to the housing market bubble as the crisis, another three
bubbles are bursting at the seams (and popping) without barely a
whisper.

What isn’t being addressed are the exponential problems of
outstanding U.S. interest-bearing debts to the tune of $51 trillion as
well as derivatives held by U.S. banks totaling $180 trillion

A large section of the banking and financial sector in the U.S is
hanging by a thread. Over 1400 U.S. banks and more than 150 U.S.
thrifts are at risk of failure, with total assets of $3.6 trillion

Over 60 banks and more than 20 U.S thrifts with more than $5 million
in assets are extremely exposed to poor or non performing mortgages.

And to illustrate how significant the shortfall is, the Federal
Deposit Insurance Corporation’s (FDIC) only has less than 3% of the
value of assets of banks on the troubled institutions list.

And that means that if all the troubled banks went into bankruptcy
tomorrow there is only enough insured savings to return capital to 3
people in every hundred. And these are not tiny banks.

According to thestreet.com, you’ll see that among the 20 largest,
are banks with assets of over $300 billion. So these aren’t small
banks. And these are just the 20 largest. As I mentioned earlier, when
you add up the total assets of all these banks you get $3.6 trillion at
risk - and no trillion dollar bailout plan is going to stop that bubble
from bursting.

The most likely effect of a further injection of funds to rescue failed corporate fat cats is a hike in interest rates as the U.S government proposes to purchase bad privacy-sector debt at above fair market values, rather than a significant discount due to the poor liquidity those assets represent.

First There Was The Housing Debt Crisis

According to the Federal Reserve and the FDIC, private sectors and
local governments also own residential mortgages in substantial
quantities, so the bailout plan would also have to cover:

The issuers of asset-backed securities who currently hold $2.1 trillion in mortgages,

• Nonbank finance companies with $426 billion
  • Credit unions with $332 billion
  • State and local governments with $159 billion
  • Life insurance companies with $61.6 billion, plus
  • Private pension funds, government retirement funds and households
Then Came The Commercial Debt Crisis
Then you have to take into account commercial mortgages. There are $2.6 trillion worth of commercial mortgages and they’re now also going bad. And some are also held outside the banking sector.
  • $644 billion held by issuers of asset-backed securities
  • $263 billion held by life insurers
  • $65 billion at nonbank finance companies and
  • $37 billion at Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)

While the mortgage crisis in the U.S began with home mortgages they
have quickly spread into commercial mortgages, credit cards, car loans
and almost any other kind of loan that the private sector could
service.

There are now $14.8 trillion in residential and commercial mortgages
in America. But beyond mortgages, there is another $20.4 trillion in
consumer and corporate debt. This means that mortgages represent less
than half of the private sector debt in America

What else?

How About Local Governments?

Local governments might be an even bigger concern. You see, the Fed
currently estimates $2.7 trillion in municipal securities outstanding,
most of which have been dependent on a bond insurance system that
remains on the brink of collapse.

And is There A Bigger 'Time Bomb' Secretly Ticking Away?

At the root of the global panic after the Lehman Brothers crisis is
the derivatives time bomb – the biggest, baddest bubble of them all.
And the most feared! Here’s why…

1. It’s the biggest – commercial banks hold over $180 trillion in derivative debt.

2. JP Morgan holds $90 trillion of that – over half of it. It’s no
    wonder they were so quick to get involved in the other Fed-assisted
    bail outs.

3. But that’s nothing compared to the total notional value of
    outstanding derivatives, which according to
    Congressman Ron Paul, now
    stands at $1.1 Quadrillion - that’s 1000 trillion dollars. Now I don’t
    know
    about you but I don’t think that number has ever been used in
    financial circles – this is a first!

What Will Happen When This Time Bomb Explodes?

The honest truth is that no-one knows for certain…but what we do know for certain is that if we want to understand how to predict a market we first have to understand that a market is simply a body of human beings - emotional human beings!

And what psychologists and neurologists have learned about how humans behave is that beyond the neural mapping that occurs by the age of two, human beings at the core emotional level don’t change much throughout their lifetime.

Well, they’ve learned that virtually everything that determines how we think and feel was hard-wired, through our conditioning, by the age of two. And that since that age (at the core) people don’t change very much over a lifetime.

What happened when Bush and the Fed proposed its $700 Billon dollar bailout and told the world that if this Bill wasn’t passed the entire global financial system could collapse?

What happened was that gold soared $98 during trading that day, to finally close $84 higher – the single-biggest jump in the price of gold in one day - in history!

Now Congressman Ron Paul isn’t an investment analyst but even he has echoed what investment analysts have known for decades. That, in times of fear and uncertainty people move out of risky investments into the old safe haven – Gold!

Perhaps that’s a clue…of course only time will tell.

Are We On Track For The Black October Crash of 2008?

And isn’t timing an interesting thing?

We are now into the month that
brought about the Crash of ’29 and the Crash of ’87, so I see it as no
coincidence that we are entering another possible Black October – I guess, again, we’ll have to wait and see. The writing is however, well
and truly on the wall and this government bail out attempt plus
everything that doesn’t exactly spell good news for the month.

Right now the world’s paper-money system is risky. It depends on
faith and trust. And because there is no trust in banks, financial
institutions or government leaders, what we can inevitably expect is a
bust!

People in the U.S are angry. And so they should be. Each U.S tax payer will have to carry an additional tax burden of just over $5,000 simply because greedy, failed bankers couldn’t run their companies properly.

The extra ‘bailout-burden’ is about what the U.S. has spent so far in direct costs on the entire Iraq war – which tax payers are also paying for. And to put that into perspective, that’s equal to the combined annual budgets for the Departments of Health, Education and Human Services.

That’s where the current financial system is headed and I don’t
believe any miracle can prevent it. Bailouts may stall the inevitable
but the system is in need of a major overhaul and it must fail for the birth of a new
system to come into being.

I certainly don’t see the Fed cartel having a “mission-impossible-moment” and picking the
right colored wire, one-second before the bomb goes off. The fact that
they still have time to stall and distract with these smaller bailout
strategies seems to be clear evidence that the real time bomb is still ticking.

Senen Pousa
CEO
Echelon Research Limited
http://www.echelon-research.com

Some of us never go to race tracks, and find a "fire insurance" analogy easier to grasp. This was from a Q&A session at the Washington Post website http://tinyurl.com/4yonbq

Washington Post business columnist Steven Pearlstein was honored with the Pulitzer Prize
recently for commentary for his columns about mounting problems in the financial markets.
Pearlstein was online Wednesday, April 2, 2008 at 11 a.m. ET to discuss financial regulation
reform and lessons from the current crisis.

A reader in Thoiry, France: I have, in an amateur manner, tried to explain to my wife the basic principles of the $45 trillion credit defaults swaps market: Imagine
that instead of going to a regulated insurance company we insure our
house with a neighbor. We do this without knowing if our neighbor has
sufficient funds to pay us if our house burns down. Our neighbor goes
down to the local bar and (without telling us) sells the insurance
contract to a stranger without making sure that he has funds to cover a
fire in our house. Ten other people in the bar decide to get in on the
action and sell and buy among themselves five contracts insuring our
house against fire (i.e. making bets that our house will or will not
burn down). In the end there are six insurance contracts on our house
between people who do not know each other and who may or may not have
funds to cover a fire. Imagine the mess if the house burns down…My
wife does not believe that anyone would be this stupid. I claim that
there are thousands of investment bankers and hedge fund managers with
million dollar bonuses who are in fact this stupid. Is this correct?
And what will happen when companies start to "burn down" in the coming recession?

Steven Pearlstein: You have it precisely correct. I am laughing out loud at reading your comment because I tried to do the same thing with my wife, using the same
analogy, and she looked at me as if I was nuts. But it is important for
everyone to understand this market, because it is a good metaphor for
how we’ve run off the track. What started out as a legitimate hedging
instrument, perhaps, has now morphed into an instrument not only of
speculation but unfettered market manipulation (SEC, please note).
Moreover, what you didn’t explain to your wife is that these insurance
contracts are then bought and sold on secondary markets using large amounts of debt–debt that in many cases is given by thevery banks whose "house" was being insured. So you get investors who
may be doubling down on their insurance bets by borrowing from the same
banks, or from hedge funds that have borrowed from the same bank.
That’s why this is so complex, why it is so intertwined, and why nobody
knows what would happen if one major institution fails, although we can
surmise that the ripple effects would be significant and difficult to
know in advance.