The Rising Threats To Our Health

Chris Martenson wrote: "unless one is willing to take control of and responsibility for one's own outcomes, then bad outcomes are the result. It is a direct mechanism for health where people's poor dietary and lifestyle choices lead to 'diabesity' and all the metabolic disease issues that result."
Personal choices are always SOME part of the picture, but it is as yet unclear the extent to which diet and lifestyle choices are responsible for obesity, metabolic syndrome and diabetes. We are living in an obesogenic and diabetogenic environment, created (apparently, as far as we know so far) by industrial development. Much if not most of the burden of these diseases is caused not by lifestyle choices, but by environmental factors that are essentially unavoidable at this time. The environmental factors are unmasking genetic or constitutional tendencies.

People are generally much healthier, living longer lives, than at any point in history, but the industrial modernity that made that health and longevity possible also has side effects, evident in the statistics on obesity and metabolic diseases. It is a big mixed bag.

"Things are getting better and better, and worse and worse, faster and faster" – Tom Atlee

Thanks for your contribution Alan.  I thought you and other readers might be interested to compare and contrast the psychological responses to overweight and obesity from two different patients (I'm a family physician).
The first patient is me.  I'm 56 and all my life I've never had a problem with weight, despite a diet containing unwise amounts of chocolate and fast food - until now.  In the last three years, I've gained 15 pounds, and although technically I'm not overweight (BMI 23.2) I have gone from the slim end of normal to the heavy end of normal, I don't like the way this looks and feels, and I know that I have to nip this in the bud before I slide into overweight and obesity.  So I'm cutting out most of the junk apart from occasional treats, taking more exercise and spending less time sitting in front of my computer.  I would call this a "rational" response: I have identified that there is a problem, owned up to being the cause of the problem, and devised a plan for dealing with it.

The second patient is a typical example of the many patients I see in my office every day who are overweight or obese.  There is some individual variation of course, but the most common response is as follows:

When I mention the fact that they are overweight or obese, no matter how tactfully, their initial response is surprise.  They were apparently not aware of it before I mentioned it.  Then immediately after the surprise comes denial: they have big bones, all their family have always had big bones, it's not fat but retained fluid, they always put on weight over Christmas / during the summer BBQ season and they always lose it once Christmas / BBQ season is over, etc.  Then they list all the foods which they DON'T eat, which can take about five minutes because there seems to be an almost infinite number of potentially unhealthy foods which can't possibly apply to them because they never eat them.  And so on it goes.

For about my first five years of family medical practice, I felt I was duty bound to have this conversation with my overweight and obese patients, and I dutifully recorded it in their medical chart.  First I would record what they said, but after a while I got tired of that because it was taking too long, so I just wrote "usual conversation".  That will probably puzzle some future medical researcher or litigation attorney who reads my charts and wonders "what does THAT mean?"; well, that's what it means. 

Then after about five years I just gave up and stopped mentioning overweight and obesity to patients, because really, what was the point?  If Reality is screaming in their ear and stomping on their toes trying to get them to take notice of the fact that they are overweight or obese, but they are not listening to Reality, then they are not going to listen to me.    So this second response is what I would call an "emotional" response, rather than a rational response, and it's by far the most common response.

I too was at the high end of healthy: 65",150-152 lbs. When I found my LDL going up (120), and my blood glucose hit 5.8 A1c, it was time to respond… especially since for five years I had skin symptoms of diabetes.
Why would I respond like a diabetic to nondiabetic symptoms? I don’t know, but – get this – IT DOESN’T MATTER. I do. So I went on a 1-lb a week weight loss low-carb diet: mornings, coffee and maybe McDonalds eggs; afternoon, raw veggies and lean meat/tuna, evening, try not to go crazy.
After four months of that I’m down around 130, and targeting 124: sometimes I missed my goals.
And my diabetic-like symptoms only increased, though it may have been virus symptoms instead. So, being unsure, I went ahead and got BG test kits, and an A1c test kit. So far, it indicates no problem: A1c at 5.6, fasting BG at 89, post meal BG at 1 hr=92 for a lean meal, 115 for a higher-end-carb meal.
So who knows. In the end, I can try to be rational, but my body’s gonna do what it’s gonna do.

Hi, Peter!
Regarding you personally: at a BMI of ~23, it seems that you have nothing to worry about, unless your weight gains are continuing with no sign of stopping. There's evidence now that somewhat higher bodyweights, in the "overweight" range, may reduce risk and be protective against a variety of diseases. The evidence is not clear-cut, and it does not mean that higher weights do not also predispose to other diseases, but it would appear to be a wash, at worst. If I were you I would not worry about your slight weight gain.

Regarding your patients: respectfully I would like to suggest that you focus on their health, and not on their weight. The two have a tangential, unclear relationship, which is another way of saying they are largely incommensurable. For the most part, with the exception of morbid obesity – starting at BMI ~35-40 – we are safe in simply ignoring bodyweight and focusing exclusively on known risk factors and warning markers, and on non-controversial health behaviors.  Risk factors/markers would include the usual: lipids, cholesterol, BP, fasting BG, insulin resistance, inflammatory markers, and so on.  Non-controversial health behaviors would include regular aerobic exercise (with some weight training to boot, if they are up to it), tons of fruits and vegetables, reduced refined foods (extrinsic sugars and fats), and so on.

Bodyweight, and BMI, have always been lousy indicators. They often mean nothing at all more than what they literally, directly mean; e.g. if your BMI is 23.2, that means that your BMI is 23.2. Period. Nothing further can be inferred. They DO mean something more than that at the extremes: both very high and very low BMIs are inconsistent with health, usually, but even then there are exceptions. Rather than weight or BMI, other anthopometrics such as waist circumference or, still better, waist:hip ratio, have much better correlation with metabolic health or ill-health. It is possible to carry large amounts of weight about the buttocks, hips and legs – typical female pattern – without any metabolic compromise at all. Abdominal adiposity is the problem, and it can exist without weight or BMI issues. It is quite possible to be a "fat skinny person": normal BMI, and thin in appearance, with high percent bodyfat and loads of intra-abdominal fat that associates with high risk.

Take a close look at the HAES movement: Health At Any Size. The idea is that it is possible to be healthy – have really good numbers on all the usual risk markers, have excellent cardiovascular fitness, etc. – while also having a high bodyweight or BMI. There is increasing hard evidence for this proposition. Among other things, it has been shown that people with even quite high BMIs (supposedly "dangerously high") can achieve excellent condition by embarking on programs of regular exercise and dietary improvement, losing only modest or insignificant amounts of weight – say, ~5% of their starting weight. In other words, please let us forget about bodyweight, throw away the damned scale, and focus on HEALTH. Please. Pretty-please.  :slight_smile:

HAES = Health At EVERY (not "any") Size.   Oops.
key review article, fyi:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3041737/ – Weight Science: Evaluating the Evidence for a Paradigm Shift

A fascinating debate Alan, and thank you once again for your contribution!  I wasn't aware of the HAES movement, but I have read its description on Wikipedia carefully, and these are my observations.  They are based mainly on what I see in everyday practice in my office rather than academic research.  I'm not downplaying the importance of research, because it plays an important role in challenging our assumptions, but it can sometimes also lead us astray because it can sometimes be subject to biases of its own.
Most of the diabetics I see in my office have abdominal obesity.  I see the occasional thin diabetic, but they are rare, and most of them are Type 1 diabetics which as you know become diabetic via a completely different mechanism than the far more common Type 2 diabetics.  Being a diabetic seems to me to lower your quality of life considerably: who would want to pop pills or take injections every day and go and see the doctor every three months for a checkup?  OK, maybe some people would like that, but I wouldn't.  So my personal observation would suggest a link between abdominal obesity and diabetes, which would be a good reason to avoid abdominal obesity.

I am somewhat doubtful about the claim that you can have a high BMI but still be healthy, because I have literally never seen it in my office.  I known that theoretically you could have, say, a bodybuilder with a lot of muscle mass in his or her upper body, a slender waist, a high BMI, and perfect health, but I have never seen one of these people walk into my office.  It's possible that this may be a selection bias, and that those people are out there in the community but they are so healthy that they never go to the doctor.  It's also possible that Yetis, unicorns and the Loch Ness Monster are also out there in the community, even though I have never seen any of them either.  So let's just say I'm open minded about it but sceptical.

An alternative explanation for the "I have a high BMI but I am healthy" argument, is that the high BMI person would like to believe that this is true and is deceiving him or herself.  And I think I am on stronger ground here because I see this a lot in obese people.  I gave a few common examples earlier: "I have big bones" (a common British one; I don't hear it so often in Canada), "I always gain weight in BBQ season but lose it afterwards" (that one is very Canadian), "I hardly eat anything" (very common in both countries) and so on.  In fact, I believe there is research which shows that if you ask an obese person to keep a food diary of what they say they eat, then you confine them in a hospital and give them exactly what is in the diary, they lose weight, suggesting that their recollection of what they are eating is not accurate.

A further confirmation of this is the success of bariatric surgery in making people lose weight.  If a morbidly obese person has their stomach reduced in size or bypassed, they lose weight rapidly.  I have seen this in my own patients many times: it has an almost 100% success rate.  However, if you think about it, this is just a form of surgical behavior modification.  The patient could achieve the same result without surgery just by eating less; however, it seems that they find this impossible to do.  And usually, these are the same patients who say before their surgery "I hardly eat anything".

So, going on to the HAES movement, Wikipedia says that this is a "political movement" and that "HAES ideas have recently gained popularity among proponents of the fat acceptance movement as an alternative to weight loss".  If this is true, this for me sets alarm bells ringing, because it sounds suspiciously like another variation of the above "wishful thinking" ideas: the obese person finds it hard to lose weight, so gives up trying to lose weight and justifies this to him or herself by saying it's OK to be obese.

The Wikipedia article about HAES also puts forward the view that it is better to prevent obesity, or lose weight soon after gaining it, than to allow the weight gain to progress to obesity and then try to lose it, which after many years of being obese may be virtually impossible without surgery.  I think that's sensible advice.  That's why I'm concerned about my own weight gain (15 pounds in 3 years) because I can see that I am starting on the same trajectory as my obese and morbidly obese patients, and I don't want to follow in their footsteps.

Peter:
"my personal observation would suggest a link between abdominal obesity and diabetes"
No question about it. Abdominal adiposity is without doubt a risk factor for metabolic syndrome and type 2 DM. Abdominal adiposity is much worse than adiposity elsewhere. In fact, there is evidence for protective effects of adiposity elsewhere. It is the stomach fat that is the killer. That's why I suggested (following the advice of prominent researchers) using waist circumference or waist:hip ratio as much better target numbers than weight or BMI. The former are REAL risk factors; the latter are not, or not much, except at the extremes (BMI upwards of ~35).
"I am somewhat doubtful about the claim that you can have a high BMI but still be healthy, because I have literally never seen it in my office."
I believe it, and the likely reason is that they've never tried. It takes real WORK to get healthy, and the typical overweight person may not have ever undertaken that work.  But it is quite possible to get healthy while still heavy, and it has been demonstrated repeatedly in the literature.  Some weight might be lost, incidentally, in the course of getting healthy, but the main focus is getting healthy, not weight loss. Let the scale do whatever it is going to do that is consistent with health. More vegetables, more exercise, less refined food, less animal products, more fiber, optimal sleep, magnesium supplements, less TV, etc., etc.
"let's just say I'm open minded about it but sceptical."
As you should be.
"An alternative explanation for the 'I have a high BMI but I am healthy' argument, is that the high BMI person would like to believe that this is true and is deceiving him or herself."
I am certain that this happens a lot, and it is the danger of the HAES concept. But let's not overstate it. The HAES concept – the idea that one CAN be both heavy and healthy – does not suggest that every overweight person IS healthy. Health is determined, insofar as we can determine it, by a number of measures. If those measures are out of line, then you are unhealthy or you are at risk of disastrous health outcomes.
"If a morbidly obese person has their stomach reduced in size or bypassed, they lose weight rapidly."
Yes, of course. No one denies this. The question is: what is the health benefit? Always keep in mind that health cannot be cleanly inferred from weight. Some of the literature on bariatric surgery reports rather shocking loss of lean mass along with fat mass; hence "weight" is lost, including a great deal of muscle, vital organ and other functional tissue. Just how healthy are you going to be after that? I don't know. I suppose it might vary by case.
Bariatric surgery might be very useful for selected morbidly obese cases. What I object to is the assumption that "they lost a ton of weight, therefore they must now be healthy". Not so.
I am in favor of whatever improves people's health. If gastric bypass improves health, then I am for it. Does it? Maybe it does. But let's keep in mind that it is a very radical, risky and expensive way to improve health, if it does improve health.
"… this for me sets alarm bells ringing, because it sounds suspiciously like another variation of the above "wishful thinking" ideas: the obese person finds it hard to lose weight, so gives up trying to lose weight and justifies this to him or herself by saying it's OK to be obese."
Please turn off the alarm bells. Yes, it might be OK for them to be obese. That's the point. Why not build health first, and find out? It might be OK, and it might not be OK, but why not work on building health as the first goal? That is your role as a physician, after all: to treat people's states of ill-health, and help people become healthy, not to treat abstract numbers. Weight and BMI correlate only poorly with health. Other numbers correlate much more strongly – so let's treat THEM.
This is, I believe, the appropriate approach to the patient: "let's work on your health first, and then see if you need to lose additional weight or not". Maybe they will need to restrict calories and lose some more weight; maybe they won't. We don't know until we try. But we do know from the literature that huge health improvements are quite possible with minimal weight change.

I agree that the HAES movement – the political movement – goes too far in some respects. It overlaps with the "fat acceptance" movement, which is a valid civil rights movement, opposed to discrimination and bigotry which are rampant. It is important to embrace the civil rights aspect while at the same time attending to the real medical/biological issues.

Personal aside:  I was obese, technically, for at least 10 years, but I have great numbers: BG, BP, lipids, all of it. Actually, a few of my numbers were slightly off, years back, but I corrected them, while still at a BMI of ~30 ("obese"). I eat a great diet. I train hard, often. I take megavitamins and many supplements. I am in great shape. Just recently I dropped some pounds and am at ~28, so now I am just "overweight", not "obese". But who gives a damn about my BMI or weight? Does it matter? NO! It does not matter. It has zero medical significance. I seek to improve my health and appearance, and weight and BMI are largely irrelevant to those goals. I want to gain 10-20 pounds of muscle, and I have a plan to do so. No doubt I will lose some fat in the process, so my weight and BMI will likely remain about the same. Still "overweight". Big deal. Who cares?

Once again, Peter, I want to recommend this excellent review article. It changed my thinking, years ago. I've read a lot more since, but this article remains a fine introduction to the issue:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3041737/ – Weight Science: Evaluating the Evidence for a Paradigm Shift

I really dislike the term abdominal obesity, because it lumps three types of possible fat together, which have far different consequences: liver (organ) fat, muscular fat, and skin fat.
As far as I can tell, muscular fat is the least damaging to a person’s overall health: it’s the marbling fat in your steak. However, when you do lose weight, there is a severe possibility that the loss of this fat can help cause a hernia, which happened to my father. The treatment of that then later triggered a stroke. So that then means that if you have significant weight loss, you should be really careful of your abdominal wall, and work on rebuilding the muscles as if you WERE damaged there.
The second type of fat is skin fat. This is the cover fat around the steak. If you have to eat grade D meat, do NOT eat the cover fat, because it’s going to be packed with toxic steroids, antibiotics, or other poisons (I say this from my brother’s experience of an unintended steroid rage that luckily had no consequences). This skin fat around the stomach is dangerous to a person’s health, but not the most dangerous. Moreover, when you lose this weight by dieting, there is the probability that toxins you had in your system when you put the weight on, may re-enter the body… because this is where the body sticks bad stuff. So while you lose weight, you should watch out for previous problems.
The worst is liver fat. I think that contributes more to diabetes than anything; and this is where you want to look up “fatty liver disease”, “non-alcoholic fatty liver disease”, and how NOT to lose weight (because losing weight too rapidly can be a REALLY bad thing).

The liver is not a typical fat storage organ such as the area under the skin (subcutaneous fat). Non alcoholic fatty liver disease has been associated with obesity, but it is a metabolic disorder, not a common consequence of weight gain.
A metabolically active, 'bad' fat storage site is the area inside the abdomen, under the abdominal muscles. The omentum is a fan of fascia and fat that partially surrounds our abdominal organs. This is a common fat storage site, and high amounts of omental fat have been associated with metabolic disorders and chronic inflammation.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/taking-aim-at-belly-fat

I am not anything close to a doctor.  You point out yet another type of abdominal obesity that I was aware of, but had forgotten… and which is also extremely damaging to the health.  So there are actually at least four kinds of abdominal obesity, one of which is metabolic/rare/related to my own problem.
As such, my general point still stands:  that "abdominal obesity" is so generic as to make it useless in either diagnosis, or proper weight loss. When you separate them out, then it would help a person deal with things, because they have something to deal with.

Let me offer a suggestion to the doctor, for something instead of "had the usual discussion".  The "usual discussion" doesn't work, because it has no impetus, nor means to an end. 

Suppose, that our doctor went and hired the services of a dietician (did I spell that correctly?) with a focus on assisting weight loss.   Then, he identified which type of obesity was involved for a patient.  Once that was the case, any of his patients could come in, plunk $10 down on the checkin-clerk's desk, and pose a question.  The question would be forwarded with the patient's file to the dietician, and a right answer would come back within a week,  the generic answer be posted in a book (available for free), and be emailed to the patient. 

So then… there's a collection of advice generics, but also access to specific answers when needed. 

Then… we still need impetus.  I'm going to posit that impetus isn't "I'd like to be healthier", but "I hate those migraine headaches".  I'm also going to posit that most of those overweight people get headaches that seem like migraines, but actually are hypostatic headaches caused by carb overload.  So instead of saying "you need to lose weight", say "Let's talk about headaches."  (What?!?)  "You get migraines, don't you?"  (Yes… I hate em.  Tylenol only helps a little.).  "So, I don't think they're migraines.  I think they're from carb overload.  So I'd like you to try something".  Then suggest a limited carb diet:  try it for two weeks, and then pick a day when a headache the following day won't impact the daily schedule, and HIT a high carb day, watch what happens.

NOW you have impetus.  The person would like to be healthier, but BOY THEY HATE THOSE HEADACHES.

And now they're listening.

"I really dislike the term abdominal obesity, because it lumps three types of possible fat together, which have far different consequences: liver (organ) fat, muscular fat, and skin fat."
For the record, it is abdominal adiposity, not obesity. But I agree, it is an imperfect term. It needs to be seen in context, however. It is much, MUCH better than the naked term "obesity". When you specify the abdomen, suddenly you are far closer to the real problem, and you've departed from the areas in which adiposity is not only not harmful, but potentially protective. As I pointed out above. non-abdominal adiposity is by some measures protective against disease.  A woman with heavy hips, legs and butt is probably OK, provided she does not have "apple" (abdominal, male pattern distribution) fat. It is abdominal fat that is the real culprit. So, IOW, let's not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Abdominal adiposity should be our focus, for now. Later, perhaps, when MRI or equivalent technology – capable of precisely quantifying precise local deposits – has fallen in cost to such an extent that it can be a routine office-visit check, then we can be more specific. For now, simple waist circumference is a huge improvement over BMI or bodyweight.

"my general point still stands:  that "abdominal obesity" is so generic as to make it useless in either diagnosis, or proper weight loss."

I disagree. It is a huge improvement over BMI/weight.  It is the latter (BMI) that is "so generic as to make it (almost) useless". Modest reductions in waist circumference – barely enough to register as significant weight loss at all – can produce big metabolic improvements, which reflects the point on the table: that abdominal fat is the real culprit.

By the way, I am talking in population terms, i.e. what is true across populations. What I say will not hold true for every individual. You might be an exception. But it will hold true in general, across a population.

I agree that liver fat – NAFL – is the worst.

Everyone …its high time now…!! We humans need to understand that the high population, pollution, cutting down trees is harming our planet earth now. Earth is slowly turning into a planet that is unfavorable for life to exists. People have become selfish and not thinking about our future generations. We are making it difficult for them to live. And, we are complaining now of deaths due to pollution, whereas we are the ones responsible for all.

Some spammer brought this forward from 2015 but it has some interesting graphs.
Kathy

1 Like