The Spot Price of Precious Metals Is Becoming Irrelevant

The world based on these examples from this article and many of the other recent articles about investing in today's world and pretty much money as it exsist today, leaves me feeling these as my natural responses, unfiltered.

1. Meaninglessness is the meaning

2. Withdrawl is the normal reaction to an empty exisistence

3. Not having a job or the equivalent is better than having a job not worth having.

There is a time to admire the grace and persuasive power of an influential idea, and there is a time to fear its hold over us. The time to worry is when the idea is so widely shared that we no longer even notice it, when it is so deeply rooted that it feels to us like plain common sense. At the point when objections are not answered anymore because they are no longer even raised, we are not in control: we do not have the idea; it has us.

Alphie Kohn wrote these words in response to his ideas about providing rewards to people when they act the way we want them to. I think this applies in a much deeper psychological monitized world view. Social contagion can be the best of times or the worst of times.

Rose

[quote=davefairtex]I just recently got a truckload of data on gold dating back to 1999 - one minute ticks.  I was curious to see if any particular time of day had outsized movements in the price over that time.
Turns out, the 15 minute bars immediately prior to London AM and PM fix were quite noticeably "down".  In other words, during that massive bull market from 2000-2013 if you'd bought gold immediately prior to either fix, and sold it at the fix, you'd have lost money over time.  The total per bar was around $-300 to $-400.
Most of the other time bars were up over that same period average +/- $50.
What is price telling us this time?  The dealers collude in some way to hammer the price of gold immediately prior to the fix.  How?  Why?  I have no idea.  No doubt they get some advantage from it.  But that pattern absolutely doesn't lie, at least not to me.
[/quote]
Dave,

that's interesting…I have seen the fix data run before to the same comclusion.  Here's a different theory I would love to see tested in the data.
Observation:  Between the hours of 12:00 pm EST and 1:00 pm EST gold tends to sell off, especially on Fridays.
Hypothesis:  You could make money by shorting and covering during this window.
What does the data say?

Grover–yes. Find out more about the HAA IRA here: http://www.hardassetsalliance.com/precious-metal-ira

For the 15 minute bars starting at the time indicated, for every tick in that bar, from 1999-2013, Fridays.  Mildly positive.  Looks like you'd do better going long.  Although - spreads & costs will likely eat that up.12:00 33.20
12:15 -24.40
12:30 26.80
12:45 -11.30
This tallies with my memory that gold does well on Fridays.  To check, I ran a day-based study with another program of mine, using GLD as the proxy for GC.  It only gets data back as far as 2005 (GLD's inception) and uses daily ticks from google; it showed that Friday was the single best day for gold of the week.  Total period move for GLD was 98.89 (2005-present).  72.13 of that came on Friday.  Of course since there were 407 Fridays, it ends up being about $1.80 per Friday (18 cents for GLD).  244 up days, 163 down days.   But that's US trading hours only, so…might be different if we used GC.
Mon -9.44
Tue +23.51
Wed +23.36
Thu -13.74
Friday 73.45
SPY, on the other had, had a terrible time Fridays.  -52 on Fridays, worst day for SPY.  Tuesday +50.  Sell your equities Thursday night.  (Friday's average SPY move: -0.09 = SPX 0.9, 2001-today)

No response HAA? [Harold, the HAA has a business to run and will address your questions here as and if they have time. They have already been quite kind in their responsiveness throughout the day so far. ]  

Ill try a phone call next week and get an answer.  I still may  dather in $30,000 in HAA just for the liquidity.

[removed by Adam. Harold, it doesn't seem to me that you read the posting guidelines I highlighted for you. Having a "blue collar" job, in no way exempts you from our rules for civil discussion, nor allows you to make unsupported accusation or taunts. Your profession makes you no different from everyone else with questions here.]

Please excuse my bluntness as Im an oil rig worker  that works 6 -12's , take an ass woopin everyday and not at  Cambridge House affairs  in silk shirts selling newsletters.  Lotta money in oil and gas .

Alliance?   whats that mean?

Trading platform?  please explain?

Apmex is a trading platform.  Not?   They dont ask for ss#.

If someone wanted TRUE OFFSHORE STORAGE why would they use HAA exclusively?  I see no reason!

[removed by Adam]

Dont get your panties in a twist,  but the blue collar is getting into precious metals  so be prepared to be asked blunt questions ,  sorry  .

[Hard questions are fine. Rudeness is not. Please keep that in mind as you craft future posts. – Adam]

Im out   ,  Harold

Thanks.  
Observations inaccurate and hypothesis rejected!
On to the next one…

I have no malice.  Im a private party.   Arent we, isnt your , extensive analysis of offshore storage , mission  to help us, we , the people to examine the best avenues  toward  the best offshore storage option?
I have no agenda except as a private person to secure   an   'OPTIMAL'  offshore storage.
Wheres the dialogue?  wheres Chris M. ?
Why will HAA not  tell me what vaults my gold will be stored in? , and I mean names and addresses.
Why do I need a brokerage  for secure offshore storage?
When i have time I will call them  on the phone and maybe get an answer they dont want to address online.
Im asking HARD QUESTIONS apparently.  

I work for a living , blood and sweat . 
I dont want to keep qualifying,  I want HAA to address my questions for myself and the public in the open  online.
Wheres Agostino?  

[removed by Adam]  

Im going to remove my membership.Mr d agostino wont respond.
We get Adam to edit my requests.
Reminds me of b chilton   the sec regulator shaking his responsibility.
See ya at a Conference Chris.

Im done  Harold Davis

Chill out friend.  You are right to be cautious and question everything… I certainly do, as you will see from the thread above.  I want you to know though that there is no place in my experience more sincerely dedicated to helping people… ALL people… plot a path to a more sustainable future for themselves than this community.  Chris and Adam are honorable and above boards… the last thing I would ever think of this place as is a marketing tool.  You are new here… don't jump to conclusions based on this one post, and the so far unsatisfying response to your (potentially legitimate) questions about where the Gold vaulting is done.  If you really want to know about worldwide Gold vaulting options, my honest opinion is that Simon Black of the Sovereign Man (subscription) website covers this issue more throroughly than anyone here.  

My first impression of your bluntness was different from others who've been offensive in the past, in that most others seemed arguementative over issues where they had no stake in the matter other than ego. I cut you some slack because you indicated that you intended to invest a huge (for me, anyway) sum of money. Most would consider  'due diligence' a commendable attribute, and a place where bluntness is justified even required in this crooked, screwed-up economic climate.
However, any such consideration soon evaporated with your next two posts. You seem to feel that an answer to your "hard questions" should be answered immediatly, and by Chris himself, even though your posts were only an hour and a half apart.
You claim to be civil but the above post is anything but civil.
I've been member of this site for about four years, and I've consumed all of Chris' writings and talks in that time. Your charges of impropriety are waaay off base. You would know that if you took the time to do your due diligence in this regard as well. But apparently you feel that everyone should immediatly halt their lives to accommodate your requests, becoming peevish when your satisfaction isn't immediatly forthcoming. Even my four year old son doesn't exhibit such petulence.
So therefore at this point I feel compelled to say, as one blue collar guy to another, you're being an @$$h()!#

Yes, you are done, Harold.I've given you several attempts to adjust to our posting rules here. Clearly you have no interest in doing so.
And your expectation that everyone should instantly repond to your demands will be an ongoing source of frustration for you here as long as you hold it.
I see you have plans to leave the site, but in case you decide to revisit, I am placing your posts on 'moderator review', which means they will not appear on the site until one of our moderators has read and approved them. If you demonstrate the ability to be appropriately civil, this restriction will be lifted.
I'm disappointed to take such a step so early in your engagement with the site. And for those reading this, this decision has nothing to do with the questions Harold raised, and everything to do with the way he raised them. PeakProsperity.com is a place where respectful debate and conscientious challenging are welcome.

@ H Davis,Not only are you being an @$$h()!#, you have just given more credibility to the erroneous stereotype that all blue collar workers are classless morons. As a former tradesperson, I can tell you that it irked me to no end to see people such as yourself using their blue coller status as an excuse for poor manners, language and behaviour. And then complaining that they get no respect from white collar workers on top of that. I resented being painted with that brush, as I am sure that many other tradespeople who have read your posts do as well. Just because one works with their hands does not mean that they are not intelligent or cultured.
There is a saying - you can catch more flies with honey than with shit. You will have far greater success in getting the info you require if can you manage to embrace such a philosophy. Although based on what I have seen here, I personally cannot fathom who would want you for a customer. So good luck with that…
Jan

Well,    Chris was online and posted all along when I was posting , before and after.Why didnt Chris  chime in?
Jan  !  who are you? 
Have any of you folks ever called HAA to ask   technical questions?
I think Im in the wrong place here at PP. 
Im worth  seven figures and looking to put 2 in an offshore place.
Why shoud I use HAA, Gold Money, BVI ?
Why cant HAA or any of pp  folks  answer the questions I asked ?   — that was the whole point ----
Adam ,   you said Im done?    why dont you address my questions?     No.  Your Done.   Go sell your newsletters  and collect a paycheck that way.

Bylthe and bouyant you may be Chris, the truly sinister truth of the matter is vast, unfathomable, beggars the imagination and will likely end tragically. Think worst-case scenrio which is entirely possible if not inevitable.http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/everything-is-rigged-the-biggest-financial-scandal-yet-20130425?print=true
Gangsters in business suits and we…really…are merely vehicles for profit nothing more and nothing less.

However it may be pivoting for the benefit of the ususal parties

[quote=davefairtex]I just recently got a truckload of data on gold dating back to 1999 - one minute ticks.  I was curious to see if any particular time of day had outsized movements in the price over that time.
Turns out, the 15 minute bars immediately prior to London AM and PM fix were quite noticeably "down".  In other words, during that massive bull market from 2000-2013 if you'd bought gold immediately prior to either fix, and sold it at the fix, you'd have lost money over time.  The total per bar was around $-300 to $-400.
Most of the other time bars were up over that same period average +/- $50.
[/quote]
Why did you do all that analysis?  This has already been a well published gold analysis story for the past few years.
I'm quite a skeptic at this point in regards to discovering any useful information from the timing of gold price fluctuations.  The big players moving these markets today (as opposed to the past) are going to do so with one primary tactic, and that tactic is to keep as many smaller players off balance as possible.  It's hard to believe that "markets" are anything close to true markets any more.  I believe the PM market is more "managed" (as opposed to saying manipulated, "managed' is more of a real term) than ever. I personally don't think anyone should be buying precious metals unless they are in it for the long haul.  It's going to be a very bumpy ride.  As long as the current destablizing forces persist in the financial system, gold is a buy.

Chris, I just read the article, and even though some of the more technical financial stuff flies over my head, I get the gist only too well. A couple of parts of the article struck me as being particularly hard to swallow:

The idea that prices in a $379 trillion market could be dependent on a desk of about 20 guys in New Jersey should tell you a lot about the absurdity of our financial infrastructure.

The only reason this problem has not received the attention it deserves is because the scale of it is so enormous that ordinary people simply cannot see it. It's not just stealing by reaching a hand into your pocket and taking out money, but stealing in which banks can hit a few keystrokes and magically make whatever's in your pocket worth less. This is corruption at the molecular level of the economy, Space Age stealing – and it's only just coming into view
My optimism is fading due to consistently seeing such a tremendous level of obliviousness in my community. More often than not I feel that with my level of awareness I am on a different planet than so many around me. Even people who I really have great respect for intellectally speaking seem to be unaware of most of the things we talk about here on a regular basis. When I see articles like this, and with the knowledge that few people are actually paying attention, I think to myself that this is so big, and so futile, that I should forget about trying to enlighten others and just focus on my own life and personal resilience. In a way it is like Treebeard says, things will happen as they are meant to, some things will die off and other things will survive and move on. There is not a damn thing I can do about the macro economic things and all the greedy liars and cheaters, so I will focus less on them and more on the "Jan micro economy". I think that is the only way I will retain my sanity and be able to enjoy life in the face of all of this blatant fraud and theft as CM calls it. I have signed up for fly fishing  lessons! I hope it will be my new, simple and wholesome diversion from a world that is truly screwed up. Surely still waters and tight lines will bring some peace and contentment from a world gone insane (not to mention a fresh trout for the fry pan!) Jan    

When someone comes up with a claim, I like to see if its true or not.  Perhaps its just me, I'm naturally curious.  It sounded like easy money when the claim was made.  After doing the math for myself, I saw that while the pattern was there, making money from it was actually quite difficult.  I wrote an entire simulation that bought futures at a certain point, sold them at another, to try and see just how much I'd make if I executed the strategy.  Sometimes it worked well, other times it didn't.Some people believe everything they read.  Me, I like proving it for myself.  And since I can write code and it only takes me a few hours, why not?  Some people grow vegetables, some people race cars, I write code and play with data.  Sometimes people pay me to do it, sometimes I just do it for myself.
We all have our world views.  We may or may not share the same view.  I believe that even managed markets must continue to operate with certain rules.  If you can learn to read the footprints of big money in the charts, you can get out of the way of the train when it decides to rumble down the tracks.
Here's the thing.  In order to affect the markets, Big Money must buy and sell.  This leaves footprints - price and volume data.  These prints may not "make sense" from a story point of view (i.e. "money printing is going nuts, therefore gold MUST go up - but why is the chart dropping?  The chart must be wrong!") but if you just look at the prints and take them for what they are, you can either decide to hedge your position or remove your hedges as big money decides to move from place to place.
To do this effectively, you must disengage your story brain and just watch the prints.  When the story and the prints diverge - pay attention to price & volume, and ignore the story.
Any trader would understand what I'm talking about.  Non-traders will think I'm nuts, the market must be managed or crazy or manipulated.  But if I can read the prints and see the future, seems like I'm better off than if I can't.
And I'm getting there.  I'm currently working on a - you would probably call it a "manipulation detector."  Not per se but that's the idea.

in a situation like this? (situation being a society s described by Matt) Firstly i'll milk my cow and goat. secondly water horses and sheep with portable solar powered "simple pump". Plant second planting of corn, this will be sh2 hybred not my OP. Hill 150" of asparagus. wonder if the i r s will audit me for a decrease in family income of over 200K in 4yrs. the robinsons "went Galt" 5 yrs ago