Vehicle Everyday Carry

How timely… next month we'll be back in the US and embarking on a little road trip madness, and this little gem of an article just happens to fall into my lap smiley
I did not see it mentioned, but one thing worth adding to the Type 2 gear is a portable air-compressor/large-flashlight combo that plugs into the cigarette lighter.  Of the assortment of gear I carry in the car, that item along with my LED headlamp and booster cables has seen the most use.  I'm really glad I brought one over here to Mongolia, because I haven't seen them sold anywhere here as of yet.

Another thing that I do whenever living in extreme cold climates is in the winter I keep the few things in my vehicle kit that don't handle extreme cold well (LED headlamp and small LED area lamp) separately in my backpack so I can take it indoors when I leave the car (I learned that lesson at age 17 after discovering the battery in my neat mega-bright flashlight I kept in the car all winter was practically kaput).  Those things don't take up much space in my bag, and I usually have my bag with me anyway for carrying my work things as well as my hat, gloves, and scarf.

• Nick

[Hidden - Jason]Hope everyone had a great weekend.
Aaron,
I don't appreciate all the doubt that you've thrown into the mix when I mentioned Patriot Nurse and pads as an alternative first aid option.
First you wrongly accused me of saying tampons when I clearly stated pads
Second you gave false infromation with regard to anticoagulants in feminine products (or at least some type of anticoagulant agent which would in fact still be an anticoagulant which is again misinformation).
Third, you time and time again accused me of stating atributes to pads which I did not say.  I never said you could use them to pack arterial bleeds I said you could use them to help with large volumes of blood which was also stated in the Sussen book.
fourth, when you say you knew Mr. Gomez but you weren't familiar with Patriot Nurse I believe you overstated your "knowing" Mr. Gomez as they were engaged so how could you really "know" Mr. Gomez and yet not even be familiar with PN?  Perhaps you took some of his training or maybe you met him once or twice, I don't care but at least understand what it is to "know" someone.
Finally, to say that PN nurse's advice is awful and then link her video about vaccine advice is a poor example and I can't help but think that you know that.  Vaccine information and opinions are so diverse that you would be hard pressed to conclude either side and not have a never ending debate.  I'm not about to go there and I'm surprised that you would even link a video on the topic.
Your responses are clearly showing your pitbull grip on your "best practices" and military training. As an FDA regulated, Biomedical and Bio Hazard trained Phlebotomist myself, I can certainly understand the need to stay within known facts and safety perimeters. I've done thousands of 16 gage needle venipunctures, I've had donors seize to the point of flipping on the donor bed, face down, you can only imagine the clean up of the red stuff.  The average person has no idea what hemorrhaging out a pint of blood within 4 min or even less can do to your system. I do know.
In conclusion Aaron, the point I'm trying to make is that you were unfair to my idea on several levels (Being too attached to your conventional ideas and thrwoing doubt into my ideas like a bully).  It wasn't fair, accurate or nice and I'm calling you out on it.
Now say you're sorry and play nice.  If not then lets take it to PM's because I'm pretty sure no one else wants to hear it.
RG2
PS. Super glue is a must have first aid kit item.  I literaly don't leave home without it. Don't you mess with my super glue Aaron.

Sterile gauze is effective as gauze, of course, however it is more expensive then non sterile gauze (which is what most first aid kits will have) and sterile gauze is most often used when changing wound dressings.  My point was (being put in a position once again to belabor the point) if you are using sterile gauze as a first aid kit choice then you lose the "sterile" attributes of the gauze the second you handle it unless you also include sterile gloves and an aseptic technique.  In conclusion, sterile gauze is effective as gauze however it adds extra expense where it's not needed.  

Seriously?

?

Rocketgirl,I agree with Goes… I'm starting to wonder what you're hoping to accomplish here…

1. Your lack of ability to define, in clear terminology, what you were talking about is what lead to this mistake - which was conceeded and removed as an issue days ago. Perhaps when you get passed your bashfulness, you'll find it easier to communicate specifically what you're trying to say.
  2. This point was conceeded, and based on a real practice of including asbestos in Rayon, which had an anticoagulate effect - this practice has not been common in quite a while. My information was outdated, and beyond accepting that I was incorrect, I'm not sure what else you expect.
  3. Since your third point was the same as your first, I can only assume that you're in such disarray trying to make people look bad you mistook this for a seperate point. This would be a great time to remind you that I never, once, accused you of saying anything. I simply misunderstood your statement.
  4. Attached is a picture of Paul, a mutual friend, and myself. This was the "first" time I met Paul, and since the literally dozens of subsequent conversations and discussions that followed are not your business, this will have to suffice. In short, Paul was to me, as he was to a great number of other people, a mentor and friend. As to his relationship with Patriot Nurse, I'm not affiliated with Tactical Response, nor was Paul Gomez when I first met him, so I don't know.
    He took a position there shortly after. 
    After hearing some of Patriot Nurses giggly ramblings, I'm not sure what to say apart from I don't think she's probably an SME. 
  5. As to your experience dealing with cleaning up blood - please save it. It is not relevant.
    Not even a little. 
    I've bandaged avulsion sites, GSWs on children and burns so bad that you're looking at organs through granulated wounds. This is not to mention a couple decades of intermittant lesser trauma, training and skill development. 
    Congratulations for gaining some experience, but I don't think that what you've cleaned up in a controlled environment with a certification that cost you 85 hours makes much difference to your level of competency with actual traumatic injuries. This is not to be rude, but you're unconsciously incompetant. We all are, on various topics, so it's nothing to be ashamed of… but you need to know that presenting opinions of others as your own, and then being angry when someone brings points against it is juvenille and amatuerish. It doesn't look good on you.
    So, not to diminish what you do, but the experience you've presented isn't relevant to this conversation.
    So, to me, best practice represents a significant amount of accreted experiences by not only myself, but the various medical professionals I learn from, and with. In keeping with the spirit of fairness and academic honesty, I'm soliciting opinion about "your idea" as you put it, in order to determine it's "real world" level of practicality. 
    Here, so I'm extremely clear on this point, is my supposition:
    "A feminine hygeine pad is inferior to a properly applied dressing and bandage when addressing trauma."
    You'll get no apology from me, as I was cordial and polite throughout this conversation. Your superglue is safe (and I'll bet you again, have never used it on a wound - I have - it definintely didn't do anything a band-aid couldn't) and so are any opinions you would like to keep with regards to what you think is best practice.
    The things I'm saying are not for your benefit.
    …They're for other people who might buy a bat to play football on your account. 
    So here is a final thought for you: I'll never claim anything about myself that is not true, and if I ever find out that information I presented was incorrect, I will immediately apologize and recant. If that isn't the antithesis of "bullying", I'm not really sure what is…
    Cheers,
    Aaron

Rocketgirl,
I apologize for being heavy-handed with my language. There's nothing decent, or worth sharing in that tone, and I work pretty diligently not to be a militard - one of those folks who thinks that the only way of doing something is the 'established' way. I also hate that method of commnicating with people. As you know, it can come across as hostile, when it's intended purpose is simple directness. Either way, here is the apology you deserve.
It is obvious in retrospect that the way I was using language was overly direct, and for that, I apologize. I got caught up in the factual basises of our conversation and forgot that this isn't a report or a briefing. Not good form on my part, and as with any mistake, it would have been over had I recognized this earlier on, so I owe an additional apology for being confrontational after the fact.

Several times, I conceeded that you're correct and that the solution you proposed was indeed a good and viable solution - just not the ideal solution. I stand by that, and hope you'll give it some critical review yourself.

As well, I stand by my questioning of some of the interpretation that's going on here with regards to C. Sussman (Exudate, for example isn't generally a component of primary trauma, unless I'm missing something - so her 'endorsement' is probably for treatment post-incident wound care management) and Patriot Nurse. It's easy for 'word of mouth' to be taken out of context, and I'd like to see a more scientific approach in determining whether or not the pad should be used for this purpose.

So, just give this some more thought.  When it comes to emergency medical kits, before you make any concrete decisions on what you will be carrying, check out whether or not there is a better option that has a more clearly defined history of success. Emergency medical equipment is updated and refined often, so keeping an open mind to improvisation and to conventional tools would be a good idea.

Cheers,

Aaron

Aaron, Thank you.  Humility is a beautiful thing and being able to express that is even more beautiful.  I also went too far in defending the idea I was presenting.  I should have dropped it earlier but I continued to allow myself to be offended by your posts.  I'm sorry for that and I too apologise not only to you but to the CM readers as well.  
I have come and continue to come from the vantage point of these posts being for the most part for people who are not combat ready, trauma experienced, ultimate materials ready for TSHTF type.  The vehicle medical kit choices being a reflection of the average joe with little to no training.  How many readers here will have even heard of gauze role with clotting agent additive let alone how to use it?  I know every member of my family (husband, son, daughter) would literally pass out if they saw squirting red stuff after a car wreck (Not kidding) so to take a familiar everyday item and know that you could ripp that sucker open and press it to a wound is (still) in my mind helpful to know.  I would like to get into more technical info. I would love that so I hope you do.  I just want to be clear on that.

You and I and even the average person will know that a package of gauze or a large bandage is the first thing to grab.  That point didn't need to be defended ( As you already stated) so I personally wasn't and still am not worried that as a result of the pad option being presented that someone would overlook a wrapped bandage and grap a pad instead (I know some guys, maybe most, who would pull a dirty sock off or a shirt before they'd grab a womens menstrual pad ! )

Overall Aaron, it was a spirited debate that got kinda nasty and we both pulled through.  Props to you for stepping up first.  I felt sad during the whole thing because you've supported some of my information in the past and I've come to appreciate what you know and your sincere passion for sharing that part of you with the rest of us.  We're lucky to have you, no doubt.

So can we carry on becuase I've got a lady who swears by bacon grease for healing balm.

JK :wink:

RG2 

The interior of a car can get very hot after being parked for only an hour. Yet it is important to at least store some water in the car in case of an emergency situation.
Unfortunately, neither of our vehicles has a traditional "trunk" where things might stay a little cooler. And being busy parents with toddlers, we can't always carry fresh new water to and from the car every day - especially in the quantities we might want for an emergency (a gallon or two).

So, can anyone suggest a safe long-term container for water? Obviously I don't want to use plastic bottles that may leach chemicals. Should I get a few aluminum apple juice or canned water that will store for a few months? Or even HDPE plastic? Or should I get a couple of large stainless steel canteens? Are there any health concerns with the metallic or plastic taste in water after a month of such storage in the conditions encountered in vehicles parked under the sun for hours every day?

Poet

Perhaps leaving water in your car and a filter system (I have a solar charged Steri Pen, very compact) for bacteria is the best one can do if the water is left long term.  I don't think there is a filter system for material contaminants that leech out over time.  I suspect that clean water is a grab and go kind of thing that unfortunately has no work around other then weekly or monthly rotation depending on the weather and type of vessel.
I too would love to hear if anyone knows of a proven method for long term storage in extreme temp ranges.

Nice to see folks offering the olive branch and it being respectfully received, good Karma all round.
Slightly off topic but in a similar spirit, sometime ago I commented inappropriately on an article that Arran posted on firearms, mainly out of my wish thinking that things wouldn’t get so bad to have to consider what I previously thought were relatively drastic measures for security.
Sadly the reality is that whilst such events are still relatively rare in the UK they do happen.
Read this article and consider the possible consequences of what 4 desperate burglars may have done to an honest married couple at their remote farm had the owner not been able to appropriately challenge them…
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-19463707
Couple thankfully not charged.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-19496531
Arran whilst sometimes discussions get heated, ultimately they provoke thought and consideration to prepare us for handling events, however uncomfortable and unlikely.
Thanks for your efforts and purpose.
Cheers
SR.

Poet,The way I handle this issue is I store water in quart canning jars.  Sturdy, non-toxic, re-usable, and have a good amount of volume.  2 under each seat gives me a gallon on water in the car.  For this long term storage in the car (monthly rotation) I boil filtered water and put in sterilized wide mouth mason jars.  Seal up and then wrap them up in a towel for padding and insulation.  The water might be really warm at times during the summer but drinkable if really needed.  Leaving the window cracked can really help reduce the heat in a vehicle.  I feel pretty safe in knowing that the water is clean and pure in a canning jar sitting under the seat and not leaching out toxins from the container.  They have also come in really handy for just cleaning up the kids or hands  when on the road or when a snack becomes a mess.  Just remember to replace it if you use it. Good Luck.
Jason

Of course! Glass!
Heavy, but serviceable since it's in a car. And not much toxicity in the coated lids to worry about.

Thanks, Jason!

Poet

Don't forget - inexpensive as well.  And in the 6 years we have been drinking out of canning jars, none have broken in the car and only a few in the house.  Once all the "nice' glasses we got for our wedding gifts finally broke (2 young kids will do that) we just switched to using mason jars for almost everything.  An we never ever seem to run out of jars around here.  I even store a bit of emergency drinking water in the house in half gallon jars (pre-filtered) for when the power goes out and the well pump is off, I have really easy access to water for the few hours power is normally out.  Then I don't have to access / filter any of the larger stored water supplies. 

Funny, because I use Mason jars at home and at work all the time. Convenient to cap for later consumption, too! And it just didn't even come to mind!
Poet

[quote=rocketgirl2]Aaron, Thank you.  Humility is a beautiful thing and being able to express that is even more beautiful.  I also went too far in defending the idea I was presenting.  I should have dropped it earlier but I continued to allow myself to be offended by your posts.  I'm sorry for that and I too apologise not only to you but to the CM readers as well.  
RG2 
[/quote]
I vote for Aaron and RocketGirl as Peak Prosperity Prom King and Queen…

Oops, almost forgot, I carry my Katadyn Hiker Pro filter and 2 full BPA free Nalgene bottles in the car all the time that I rotate out every day or two.  For an extended trip or a trip to a more remote area, I'll add two additional bottles.  If needed, I have enough water until I can find some to purify.

I vote for Dogs In A Pile as PeakProsperity Court Jester …cool 

Hey guys, just to show you what many of you already knew, what a top notch guy Aaron is, I just got another private apology.  Collective Aaawh!!
Group Hug !!

I'll PM ya later Aaron

It's my sons 21st Bday and we're going to watch a movie now.

Later y'all

RG

You guys, and gals, are the greatest!  I haven't felt this warm and fuzzy since Obama got elected ;^)!   Thumbs up on the Mason jars for everything!  I'm checking my vehicle bag tonight (first time in 9 months…) and will report on the cockroach population, or anything else of interest.  Aloha, Steve.

Well, lets see here…Change of clothes (tropical). Fleece zippered blanket.  I've always got a bunch of flashlights, knives, and tools in my vehicles.  Mylar sleeping bag, TP, duct tape, 1 ltr water (I'd drink it, plastic chems and all, if I had too…), some energy bars and more eats, personal hygiene kit, some spare prescription pills, extra reading glasses, extremely basic first aid stuff, water purifier straw, bunch of zip ties and para cord, small "office" (pens, paper, rubber bands),  indelible sharpie pen for writing notes on the windshield, couple large garbage bags, fire starter and fuel balls, small book (Sailing Alone Around the World- Slocum), moist wipes, all in a nylon bag with a strap that could be grabbed-and-gone in a moment.  Wow, no cockroaches!  Surprise!
Living on a small island, my usual area of roaming is usually well within a one day hike from work to home.  So I probably should concentrate on beefing-up the first aid department and tossing in a fire extinguisher.  I did have occasion to use the bag last year.  We had a tsunami warning that had me at work (4' above sea level)  preparing, at 0300 hrs when they closed the roads.  I had something to eat and a nice blanky to cuddle in till the threat subsided.  That's the nice thing about a car, it's pretty easy- unless you're driving a Smart- to have a rolling survival warehouse in the trunk.  But having a grab bag is essential if you venture away from your comfort zone. 

Just a side note for the frugal.  When I first put this kit together, I shopped around for the perfect bag and ended up spending about $15 at Kmart for it.  Stupid.  Go to your local Salvation Army or similar store and pick them up in quantity for 50 cents.  Fill them with the basics and give 'em away- great holiday gifts- shows how much you care.  Next one goes to my Dad.  He's 86 and has been known to hop in the car and drive from SF to Portland with nothing more than a jacket in the back seat.  He's definately not stupid, just used to a civilized and static world ("Call AAA").  It's his job in badass Oakland that worries me…

As far as tools for the car goes, I'd have a hard time recommending more than tire-changing tools and the basics- vicegrips, a couple screwdrivers, jumper cables- for the average motorist.  What are you gonna do with a set of spark plugs for your '02 vehicle?  Spare containers of fluids are good, though. 

Always good to re-visit these preparedness issues, thanks.  Aloha, Steve.