We're Living Through a Rare Economic Transformation

FreeNL,
Your post reminds of a book I read a while ago, " All I need to know I learned in kidergarten" by Robert Fulghum.  His basic points were the same (Its a short book, could read it in a day if I recall correctly):

• Share everything.
  • Play fair.
  • Don't hit people.
  • Put things back where you found them.
  • Clean up your own mess.
  • Don't take things that aren't yours.
  • Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
  • Wash your hands before you eat.
  • Flush.
  • Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
  • Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
  • Take a nap every afternoon.
  • When you go out in the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands and stick together.
  • Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: the roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
  • Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
  • And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK.

Regarding the excellent post by CHS and the equally good book by Drucker, I find in the 20 years since I read “Post Capitalist Society” to have changed my outlook on its relevance.

In 1993 I was engaged in growing a business that was primarily knowledge based (and still is today) and I was electrified to read Drucker’s words which seemed to validate my very own senses at the time. He pointed to a bold future where knowledge provided significant leverage over competition, and for the first time, integrated concepts like knowledge based “barriers to entry” and the substitution of knowledge for capital. He also (perhaps unwittingly) advanced the concept of the proto-typical technocrat, those that could confer power and authority using nothing more than the withholding of technical knowledge.

It seemed to be a prescient message of triumph for the long maligned technical underclass- who had endured for decades the witness of realtors and mortgage brokers with nothing more than a high school education marshalling enormous commissioned incomes replete with all the social power that came with it.

But it was not to be.

Fast forward 20 years, and we have witnessed the ascendancy of a bloated financial overclass, while although decidedly white collar, is quite far from providing any semblance of knowledge based labor value into our society. Instead, they are experts and prognosticators of “fictitious capital”, the practice of which, I would argue, does not satisfy the tenements for knowledge based labor value.

Over the years, there have been many writers advancing concepts which lay claim to obsolescence of Marx’s critical theories. Some of the more popular are:

• Marx neglected to consider the emergence of the middle class, and thus, had an invalid framework of context for social relations. (Marx considered two classes, the proletariat, and the capitalist or bourgeoisie- the worker was exploited, the capitalist did the exploiting, a “middle class” is just a worker with slightly less exploitation- and a marginally higher standard of living).

•  Marx neglected to consider the inevitability (and effectiveness) of government intervention to prop up capitalism’s inherent antagonisms, and as such his predictions of collapse were and are erroneous. (at least partially true)

• Marx’s Labor theory of Value contains irreconcilable contradictions (mostly centered on the “transformation problem” and these arguments must be abandoned when generally accepted time conditions are imposed on the purchase price of input commodities, this problem resolves in support of Marx)

There are more, but suffice to say the debate still rages, with no clear cut (despite claims to the contrary) competing theories that can hold up.

To that end, I put Ducker’s thesis into the same camp, claiming a breakthrough, but are things really any different? To answer this, we have to go back to basics and remember that Marx’s theory only applies to commodity production. If you are involved in R&D, prototyping, or any other form of non-capitalist production then we have to recognize that these theories do not apply, and not try to stretch them into a regime that they were never intended to fulfill.

So with regard to knowledge workers, we might then propose two categories: a. knowledge workers that are involved in commodity production, and b. knowledge workers not involved in commodity production.

To the first category, I would argue that the knowledge worker is essentially mis-identified, they contain no advantage over a traditional worker in the sense that they are identically exchanging (selling) their labor power for a wage income.

Let’s assign some job titles to help illustrate, let’s compare an auto worker who’s job it is to screw lug nuts on Chevrolet Vegas, and a software developer. Both can withhold their labor at will (tempered by the necessity to exchange labor for sustenance income). Although both use knowledge to comprise their work product, the knowledge is useless without the coupling of physical labor on the part of the worker, e.g., the auto worker has to be trained to screw on the lug nuts, and the software developer has to study computer science. 

Irrespective of the receipt of information to advance these skills (training) this information is again worthless until activated by the worker by adding physical labor. The difference then reduces to the barrier to entry, which is to say how long is the training, and how expensive is it. To replace the software worker would be more difficult than to replace the auto worker, as the training component is longer, so in this sense the developer may hold a temporal advantage.

But this advantage is really one of supply and demand, not of one worker having knowledge and the other not. It is just that one form of knowledge is more difficult to obtain, and there are also no doubt aptitude issues. The capitalist means of production response to aptitude issues is by discretization of labor content, i.e. breaking down complex tasks into tiny, bite sized operations transferrable to larger sets of less skilled labor. Knowledge workers are not exempt from this tendency.

As to supply and demand, here the issue stalls. In free market systems, price does seek equilibrium. If the market signals that more software developers are needed by pricing wage labor at high values relative to auto workers, then more people will study software developing and the wage prices will drop, trending toward the same threshold as the auto worker. The trouble (and subsequent opportunity) comes in when there are time lags between the market signals and labor realization of these signals. Remember, market signals are always looking backward to inform labor of current conditions.

So let’s summarize the issues that are the same for knowledge workers in capitalist production:

1.)  Either worker can withhold labor at will.

2.)  Both wage scales are subject to social effects, in other words, society determines the relative value of their respective labor power through market signals- not technological content.

3.)  Both are exploited by the capitalist.

4.)  Both are required to exchange labor power for money in their respective fields to provide for the purchase of sustenance commodities.

5.)  Both are impacted by capitalist initiative to atomize their labor efforts, reducing their skill sets to ever smaller packets that can be redistributed to larger, lower skilled, and less expensive labor sets.

6.)  Both types of workers are subject to supply and demand market signals, equilibrium will tend to redistribute wage levels to a common denominator, so any technocratic gain is likely to be temporal.

7.)  In a measure of ownership of stocks, bonds, and similar investments, even considering 401k participation, the vast majority of these holdings are owned by an extremely small percentage of the population, effectively debunking the notion that there is egalitarian distribution of the means of production. On the contrary, it is highly concentrated in the hands of a few.

So what have we really gained here, and are not the similarities greater than Drucker’s vaunted differences?

If we look at the second category, wherein the knowledge worker is not participating in the production of commodities, we have a different picture.

Here we can make a case that a knowledge worker can start a business, for example, with reduced needs for fixed capital. But let’s review, if he wants to “free lance”, or work for himself, then he is not in any way associated with the capitalist class, so further comparison is not useful. If he wishes to start a larger company, that then hires other knowledge workers, he then is part of the capitalist class, and we can continue. But a detailed analysis of the fundamentals reveals again that not much has really changed. The basic building blocks of a capitalist enterprise are still there, the pieces are; fixed capital (buildings, machines, etc), money capital (cash for operations, sustenance of the principals, and any raw materials needed), and variable capital (employee wages),

You can argue that the knowledge worker needs less fixed capital than a start up car company for example, but the best you can really do is argue the proportions change, not the fundamental process. You still have the M-C-M’ circuit flow of capital-knowledge worker or not.

Then property ownership (intellectual property) dynamics comes into play here as well. Knowledge workers do tend to be more heavily interested in IP (patent) protection, as their work product is often easily copied. Software is a great example of this. In fact, one of the characteristics of the knowledge worker culture is the notion of monopoly, without State protected monopoly status most of these enterprises would be in real trouble, as so many of these types of products are extremely easy to copy. If a commodity can be copied at virtually zero labor cost, Marx would say that commodity has virtually zero value.

So we see a situation where increased State protection of a knowledge worker’s work product becomes essential to realizing any value, without this, there would be no value whatsoever. It is an open question as to whether society is better off with these types of State protections or whether “open source” types of product profiles are better for society as a whole.

But to close on the issue of knowledge workers not participating in commodity production, I would have to agree that there may be more opportunities to increase your wage labor status pursuing technical, knowledge based careers, and there may be a different proportion of fixed capital to variable capital requirements for a start up but ultimately given time, both supposed exemptions are not really differences at all.

If I understand CHS correctly, he is suggesting that we are experiencing a societal shift (akin to the shift from agrarian to industrial societies) from industrial to knowledge-based labor that is so fundamental that it “to describe a new economic order that was no longer defined by the adversarial classes of labor and the owners of capital. Now that knowledge has trumped financial capital and labor alike, the new classes are knowledge workers and service workers.”

I just don’t see this new paradigm, one of two new social classes, playing out in the real world. My experience is that most knowledge workers ARE service workers; working in service to the organization that employs them. Some portion, I’m guessing a rather small portion, of knowledge workers are self-employed – in that case, they work in service to their clients. And all of us work in service to the government (via taxes). The “knowledge revolution” or the “information age” doesn’t feel like a revolution to me – just another round of some new niche or resource to be exploited to make a few people very, very rich; keep some portion of the population employed; and provide shiny new toys to consumers.  I’m not a sociologist, so maybe I’m missing the fine points – but seriously, I don’t see any earth-shattering social paradigm shift surrounding the information age…

I believe we will see a fundamental social paradigm shift, and that shift will be related to the issues of coping with declining resources, overpopulation, environmental degradation, and culture shock as cultural norms the world over crumble. Plotting a course through those changes as we move forward, in terms of finding and keeping a living wage job will be quite tricky, perhaps impossible. I suspect factors influencing general employment will more or less continuously change, rapidly and with little or no warning.  

As to the skills and abilities that will be in demand in the coming 5 – 10 years, I would say that critical thinking, creativity, innovation, passion for learning, flexibility, communication, leadership, persistence, and self-motivation are skills/characteristics that will always be in demand regardless of the line of work. I also believe that integrity, compassion, ethics, and self-reliance are sorely needed. As a mentor in my field, I can teach someone my trade – but it’s much harder to teach them the above skills. Were I looking to hire, I’d much rather have someone with the above characteristics and no IT knowledge than someone with many years of school and none of the above qualities

Hi,
The transformation to knowledge workers is child's play compared to the coming revolution of artificial workers. Within about 10 years, a computer capable of performing the same number of operations per second as a human mind will cost $1000.

Here are some implications of computer-driven vehicles:

1. No more big-box stores…no Walmart, no Target, no Kroger, Food Lion, Best Buy, etc. No malls. Virtually all goods will be delivered to homes by delivery vehicles. The goods will be stored in unlighted and unheated warehouses, in incredibly cramped conditions, accessible only by robots.

2. No parking lots, no home garages.

3. No automobile ownership. New vehicle sales will be down by 80+ percent (possibly even 90+ percent).

http://markbahner.typepad.com/random_thoughts/2013/01/the-future-of-transportation.html

Thanks for the long and thoughtful piece darbikrash, I think you have taken the time to put into words what a lot of others have been suggesting. I would agree that the same old paradigm is still at play, to a large extent.  There have always been the "professional classes" from time immemorial, though to a lesser extent when society first developed some level of specializtion.  The priest, warrior and prophet have been replaced with more complex and sophisticted versions of professionals, but I would argue that the fundamental structure to have been very much the same.   As society has increased in complexity the size of the professional classes have certainly increased, but the nature and function remains the same.  So too has the relationship between this class and wealth and power.
Isn't the idea of the knowledge worker based on the technophantasy verion of the future that we were all spoon fed in the fifties and sixties?  You know, energy to cheap to meter, robots cutting our lawns, so much free time that boredom would be our biggest challenge?  We would all be machine minders and programers, money would be obsolete.  You know, knowledge workers.  Things have not worked out that way for a complex set of reasons, why not?  Instead we are facing a future quite antithetical to that.

I know that everyone must be sick of hearing me beat this drum, but a more complex view of the evolution knowlegde than the linear extrapolation of techological progress, as some have suggested, is the difference between knowledge and wisdom, what I have been calling the rational and creative mind.  Purely technological solutions always have (and I would say necessarily) a series of unintended consequences, which to my mind is playing out most clearly where technological systems are most directly in contact with natural ones in argicultural. "Round up ready" corn and soybean fields are now being invaded resistant "weeds".  What is new technoligal solution to that problem?  Erosion, loss of  topsoil, destruction of biological diversity, loss of soil fertilty, susceptibillity to drought, dependence on irrigation, dependence on nonrenewable fuel and other inputs, decreasing crop nutritional value, soil salinization to name a few are all the results of technological "solutions" that now beg for new and more complex solutions.

It is our understanding knowledge, the reintroduction of wisdom, and the transformation of the way we think of technology that is changing.  Technological research is currently being driven by power and control centric system thinking.  More appropriately scaled and intergrated technologies are emerging that empower the individual and democratize wealth and power.  The dispersion of information through participatory systems like the internet are making this transformation possible.  We are perhaps all becoming "information workers" in a sense, but it will be integrated in a diffuse and smaller scale systems where it will be up to us as individuals to take responsibility for our own transformations.  The mind, heart and hand integrated into a meaningful productive ways of creating livellihoods.

Bit Coin, permaculture, opensource software are just some of the pieces of the new paradigm that are emerging out of the old and collapsing one. Sure there will be some dead ends, but each of these new fields are rapidly evolving precisely because they are diffuse, democratic and organic in nature without a topdown control system power centric structure. These new systems will not be controlled on contained because there is no central controlling power.  Reminds me of the of state infiltrators of the occupy movement who kept walking around asking who was in power, and refrain they kept hearing was we all are.  Well, we all are.

Hi Treebeard.
There are darker fantasies than techno.

Prof Josephson asked for a dialogue with The New York Times about alternative energy sources  The result? A graveyard silence. We wont even look at a possible salvation.

We have entered a dark time of wilful ignorance. We want things to go very, very bad.  As further evidence of this lethal desire I re-offer for your delight the very popular  Podomatic discussion with the erodite KMO on Zombies.

But look on the bright side. This can only be good for the genepool. It has happened before.

It sates itself on the life-blood
of fated men,
paints red the powers' homes
with crimson gore.
Black become the sun's beams
in the summers that follow,
weathers all treacherous.
Do you still seek to know? And what?

The Ragnarok.

I would argue that the super rich and super elite in this world already consider us as zombies. Except we dont shamble around looking for blood (at least not yet), we shamble around looking for money. They carry out all manner of atrocities against us and no one really notices. George Carlin noticed. Ive noticed and i would imagine most on this site have noticed, but most continue to shamble about searching for shinies.
Is it possible that we have stagnated and NEED a complete collapse as horrible as that would be? Nature has a way of correcting things.
As far as the robot delivery army, i see that going nowhere, since you have to power those things and the transportation chain is completely oil based and has little hope for change at this point. I suppose they could power it by starving us of corn.
probabally a good time to immigrate to iceland, ha. Lots of geothermal power, high self sufficiency and jailed banksters.

Peter Drucker rights, the world really is changing. And me, even more than he had expected. It is now in the initial stage of transition to a new economic system. Capitalism has not exhausted its possibilities, he has not used the full potential of globalization. But this is his last essential tool ( http://crisismir.com ). Elements of the new system of production while developing within the existing system. The function of the global crisis - "clear platform" for building an intelligent system of production 

Fantasies are benign enough if they stay fantasies.  Problems arise when they are confused with reality.  Technology will trundle along and continue to give us the benefits that it can, and there is nothing wrong with that.  It is unfortunate that "technology" has developed this other worldly aura, that word has been stretched to cover vast panoply of things, really beyond any rational measure, it often takes on religious overtones.  It's most ardent supporters are typically those less scientifically inclined.
I like Jean-Luc Picard as much as the next nerd, but when we expect to stride up to a box in the wall with the command "Earl Grey, Hot" on our lips and expect it to appear out of a energy field, it's time to head for the exits.  Modern science has taken the place of wonder and hope in our society, and to point out the limitations is almost sacrilegious.  I still believe in wonder and awe.

Zombies and black beams of sunlight be damned,  full speed ahead.

It has been said technology is our new magic. I would argue we live in a technological age (still), not a knowledge age (if we want to label our age at all). Technology comes from technikum, or technique. All our organizations/systems are technology…science, economics, education, government, religion, (add your favorite here). They are all techniques of organization (organization being a technique) that have to be continually reorganized and fixed, which then create new problems/predicaments that need to be reorganized and fixed, infinitum. Somehow we have redefined technology as gadgets, machines, etc. and have forgotten the original meaning. A technique was supposed to be a means to an end, and under our control. Now the means is the end…printing money, consumerism, constant flow of updates (software, products, etc.) that never ends. This is how the masses live their/our lives. The question is how do we return it to its proper place of being under our control. Being a cog in the wheel is the analogy.
By taking steps to increase your resillience, both mentally and physically, I think you begin to put yourself in the position (Buddha) of being aware of your presence within the wheel and outside of it. I will continue to strive for this in every moment. 

My deep thought for the morning…

We're definitely in a paradigm shift. It may be simpler than most think once they take note that our economic disfunction is based on using debt as currency. All else seems to be symptomatic. The good news is now that precious metals float in real-time (liquidity is weight x trade value) , we can now monetize precious metals by way of the market and use debt-free store of value that is instantly liquid on a global basis. It you have any doubts, then you may also want to ask yourself how it can be that private gold based payment systems such as freelakotabank.com , pecunix.com and goldmoney.com are doing so well ? The other notion that must be considered is that because this is a movement into a real-time monetary metal paradigm (floating) , the health and the transition rate of the USD is of paramount importance. This is why the approach cannot be top-down in the awareness and the marketing. The support must be grass roots, organic and market driven. You cannot pour new wine into old wineskins. We must be as wise as serpents.

Te gavariet Ruski Calm 47?

I do not share your taste in fantasies. Hollywood's offerings are just too juvenile and purile. They have the stink of money about them.On a more agreeable note, the results of an experiment are only interesting if they are unexpected. We must not succomb to the temptation to ignore unexpected and inconvenient results. The evidence for solid state nuclear reactions is overwhelming.

The root cause of today’s problems is not technology, nor is it money. The root cause is the human value system. Technology is a tool; money is tool – used by humans to fulfill their dreams, desires, and fears. New technologies (ala LENR) won’t solve our problems, and neither will new currencies. Technology, money, even knowledge have no worth and no meaning without the human values and uses that we put them to. Only a deep and widespread change to human values offers a path to real solutions.  
That's my pearl of wisdom for the day…

I think I should add this – the content of my previous post is probably glaringly obvious to most PP folk. However, I have found that, when faced with seemingly unsolvable problems, there is a human tendency to “drift away” from the root problem and instead try to tackle smaller and more approachable problems – even when the smaller problems are only remotely related to the root cause.

Yes, we need to find new energy sources, and yes we need to find new ways of doing economics – but, as overwhelming huge as those problems may be, they are the “small and more approachable problems.” The root problem, and therefore the real solution, is human values – let’s not allow ourselves to succumb to the easy button and fail to address the underlying driver of all these problems.

Great point Gillbilly, scientists have become our new class of high preists.  The words of the sermon on the mount have been twisted into our modern day religous institutions, Galileo Galilei brilliant work has been twisted into our modern academic institutions.  It seems that things of great beauty and truth eventually get twisted into their opposites after human beings have had their go at them for a thousand years or so. Science has become more of a black magic where walking dead try to bend a living and sacred world to the power or their hungry will.
The endless cycle of birth, death and rebirth. It seems as thought we can not escape it, trapped on the wheel. I do think that we are at that time in history where this is a period of death leading to rebirth again.  It seems that time has sped up so these cycles are happening faster than in the past.  That is why I can't buy into the doomer mentality, it is too trapped in the moment and has lost site of the broader historical context of where we are.  Death and rebirth are inextricably linked, we have a choice of where we put our energies.

Though I do not think that history and time are so much shaped as circles as they are shaped like our DNA. With each turn we appear to be in the same place, but from another prospective we are endlessly moving forward in our own twisted ways.  The river of time knows where it is going though we from our limited perspective know it not.  The more narrow our view the more terrified we become as things speed up.

Arthur, no need to apologize, my fantasies are richer and more interesting than that, but I will not share them here.  The fantasy that I was referring to was that the high preists of technology would create a world where we could have whatever we wanted at the mere utterance of a word, which parenthetically is not my fantasy. But I do not believe that energy is our problem, if anything we have too much energy, our intelligence and consciouness have not caught up with what we already have.  I would agree with Sirocco, it is ultimately a human problem that we face.

In hatha yoga you approach the mind obliquely, though it's control is ultimately it's goal.  Grabbing onto it directly is to difficult so instead we try to reach it through a struggle with the physical body which is simple in comparison (though in modern times the practice has already become twisted to be all about the body).  So to I think we are all struggling here with the human condition, though we all approach it obliquelly, through economics, philosophy, politics, and so on. There are a thousand paths up the mountain and we are all richer for the wonderful sharing the pours forth on this site.  Onward and upward.

You're opening an important door of awareness. Structure is the guiding principle in regards to how power flows. We have always operated in hierarchy, supply driven, since "the apple was shoved in our faces. It's only now, within the information age that can create a "rounder world". This includes the decentralization of money by using assets, not debt.

Ive read through every comment, and each one likely has a grain of truth. Mark here comes closest. Critical thinking, creativity, communication, and collaboration will be key to survival, and perhaps prosperity. Knowledge is NOT critical thinking. Knowledge is storage. It’s useless in the wrong environment. Imagine all that you now know, and suddenly being transplanted on the planet mars. How long do you think you’d survive ?
AI, machine learning, fuzzy logic, neural networks, are all transforming our lives and accelerating the pace of machines to completely replace many humans in terms of what one used to call “work.” its occurring in every industry, in every corner of the planet. It’s going to completely make many forms of current industry irrelevant. It’s also going to become a situation where 25% of the planet is “employed” in a role called work, or thinking, while the rest are merely beings. Our labor participation rate is on a downward and irreversible plunge due to these very occurrences. Economists and pundits alike all are missing this. We’ve had machines and then robotics replacing jobs for decades, but until now most of these machines were not anticipatory, or self correcting, or self adapting. Soon many will be, and have the capacity to “think” similar to what humans can do now. Perhaps these machines will have iq’s higher than that of the majority of the human population. Of course humans will build them, because their strongest need is to survive and the few jobs left that pay anything meaningful will be involved in building and programming these “machines.” machine learning is advancing at a faster rate, than the population at large can be, or is being educated. The vast majority of the worlds population is simply too far behind to be taught enough to survive. It will be dependent upon the rest until much of it dies off, no matter how fast it attempts to procreate. Energy and electricity production in particular, will be needed most to feed this “beast”. Currency or money, is becoming irrelevant too. It’s why it’s being debased across the planet. Machines are causing much of this as machines themselves do not need to be “fed” or barter or trade or purchase or sell or negotiate in order for them to survive. As long as they have energy, they survive. Machines can be taught to explore for, extract, and convert all forms of energy into electricity. Fewer and fewer humans need to be allocated to this task of energy transport, exploration, conversion etc. it has been this way since the beginning of time. Food is energy. It takes fewer and fewer humans to grow the food man needs, while the population continues to increase. Once you get the above, you will understand why and how what is occurring now with everything: decreasing jobs, skills becoming useless, currency being debased, next to no inflation, while ever increasing amounts of printing has yet to produce any meaningful or rather destructive amount of inflation. Even deflation has been counter balanced. The Feds and centrals banks are fighting ghosts that don’t exist. Because of machines, and the rapidly advancing intelligence of machines, it does matter now what policy they choose to take. Raising or lowering interest rates is a moot point. The outcomes will all be the same. That is true of all monetary policy. Even derivatives now no longer matter. Man along with machines will figure out a way to support the population, even if only 25% of it can “work” and be “taxed.” we continue to head that direction at an accelerating pace here in the us. 47 million and counting on food stamps. Millions more on some sort of “welfare” or community or family support. Welfare will evolve into something far more complex, far less evolving images of starving and it will be less of a stigma. Disability, social security, Medicare, will never be eradicated. Instead they will continue to grow as more of the population is simply not needed to make, produce, think, etc. in order to survive. This will be all about collaboration, not independence and self sufficiency. It’s happening now and is unstoppable if you care to examine the US and europe, and many parts of the developed world. There will be no currency collapse or world war, or societal collapse or banking collapse. What is occurring now is simply evolution.

Human beings are part and parcel of the earthly biospere, we are an integral part of the planetary ecology and not creatures from the beyond.  Human beings run on and are able to create renewable and sustainable energy systems (with or without energy consuming machines). To destroy human beings is to destroy the planet, to destroy the planet is to destory human beings.
Machines on the other hand are dependent for the most part on non renewable energy systems.  The highly mechanizied industrial agriculture is the least efficient form of farming the planet has yet to see. 10  calories of nonrenewable enregy in to 1 calorie of what should be renewable energy out. The destructiveness and inefficiency of human systems can be closely corrolated to the extent that they are mechanized with machines.  Mechanized systems are collapsing and are bringing the economy down with it because they were only practical with vast amounts of cheap and readily accessilbe energy. With the rise of energy costs and reduced availability, energy intesive mechanized systems are failing.  The intensification of mechanization now is the last gasp of a dying system.

Work is not a necessary evil to be replaced by machines, but the life blood that give meaning to the human endevore of living.  The sole purpose of machines, created by humans, is to serve humans, they have no other reason for existance. Once they no longer serve that purpose, they shoud be dispatched to the trash heap of histroy as quickly as possible. We as people are not in competition with the machines that we have created, and need not worship the God of efficiency.  We have the means to live meaningful and wonderful lives at our discretion with or without machines. Our choice.

I've often thought if God needs humans to be cognizant of herself/himself, then if we build a machine that can truly think and feel like a human, and can maintain itself indefinitely, that would be the time that God would dispense with humans.
Okay, now that thought can crawl back under the rock from which it came.