What If There Isn't Enough Energy Going Forward?

(Note: I submitted a recent article about Mayer Hillman to Daily Digest earlier today. Pehaps it will appear in tomorrow’s DD…)
As someone who has not flown in 14 years and someone who is committed to cycling…How could I have not run across this man and his ideas; 2002 article: https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2002/nov/02/weekend7.weekend2

I would love to ride my bicycle more. It would be suicidal to attempt to go to the grocery store, for example.
Around here a not insignificant percentage of folks are openly hostile – usually horn honking or getting their vehicle as close as possible to you (if you’re lucky enough to catch them while they’re not texting).

Even riding a bicycle on residential roads, to avoid the big gas-guzzling pickups, you still expose yourself to the vagarities of on-street parking as you weave your way through town. Loosening up standards for four-wheeled behemoths still ignores basic safety principles for any of us inclined to human powered transport. The Netherlands and Demark are on the “right track” with segergated pedestrian and bike lanes. Unfortunately, big auto makers stand to lose by any suggestion of this alternative.
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/trump-fuel-economy-standards_us_5b106b1ae4b010565aaa80e4

Most urban cyclists carry a chain for locking purposes. It can also double as a self defense weapon. (no carry permit needed) I’ve seen a cyclist have his chain in hand on difficult streets. Most motorists love their paint jobs more than their immediate access to your spot of roadway turf. The keys to safe cycling are being clearly visible (bright colors and bright lights) plus staking out your spot of road confidentially. I’d much rather work through traffic than have some dog lunge at me on a greenway path.
Texting while driving on the other hand is a menace for other drivers, cyclists and pedestrians.

Uncletommy- Here’s to segregated bicycle/pedestrian/motor vehicle lanes. I’ve been in two cycling accidents and both resulted in multiple fractures and lacerations. In the second incident, I fractured the right side of my face in three places and have since had to have a tooth extracted as one consequence. (Implants are obscenely expensive. I could have a complete set of implants done in Thailand for what it costs for one here in the states.) Someone I know said: “finally, you’ll have to get a vehicle.” The person, like many in my part of the world, consider cyclists to be the devil. I have not bought a vehicle, but I do have some tips on cycling:

1. Do not hesitate to ride on the sidewalk at an appropriate speed in high vehicular traffic areas.
  2. Never, ever assume that drivers see you no matter how bright your clothing or how many high powered lights you have. Unfortunately, many vehicles have darkened windows and a cyclist or pedestrian has no idea whether or not they are seen. Often, I just stop and pull to the curb and let them go on their merry way.
  3. Avoid riding during the times when drivers are crazed. The start of the workday, lunchtime, and the end of the workday are to be avoided. My second accident happened just after 5 pm. Bad timing. 10am to 11am is a better time to get out if you have to “run” errands.
  4. Focus on the road. The last incident was partially caused by a woman – approaching me in a car – who could see that a pickup was backing out of a drive in my path. She yelled at me as I met her and I turned to see what she was yelling at. Bam! I could have probably stopped in time if she had not distracted me.
  5. Avoid the medical/insurance complex at all costs. The experience of dealing with the aftermath of the accident was far more painful than the injuries themself.
  6. And, stay away from those car doors…

Let me think… it might be something like
https://bicyclesafe.com/
One other thing I noticed: if you get a really nice trike or velomobile, people think it’s cool; they like it, and therefore they notice you.
So they don’t hit you.
But if you do that, I’d advise getting a New York Fuggetaboutit version of the kryptonite lock. It sucks to have a $12k velomobile stolen. Maybe also put in a geotracker as well…

You may be interested to know some ways in which Canberra is promoting the bicycle as a mode of transport.
It is legal to ride on the footpath (sidewalk). It is not legal in the enveloping state of NSW.
It is now the law that motorists must maintain a separation of at least one metre from cyclists. It is legal for motorists to cross double white lines if necessary.
Many roads have bike lanes marked on them. A network of separate bike paths has existed for many years and is being extended.
Most buses have bicycle racks on the front. Only 2 bikes at a time, but it’s better than nothing.
Privatise lots of public open space so that car parking facilities become either scarce or private, in the hope that people will be forced out of their cars and into public transport and/or onto bicycles. (Privatisation is the neoliberal response to every problem. Permanently and totally successful.)
Recently, amendments to 3rd party injury legislation were proposed so that anyone injured in a car accident (including hitting a cyclist or a kangaroo) will be covered regardless of fault for up to five years for medical treatment, care, loss of income and dependent support in the case of death. I’m not sure if this has been enacted yet. Of course, I’d rather not be injured at all. :slight_smile:

Thanks, ezlxq1949, for helping to highlight the problems you Austrailians are having with Kangaroo collisions. The prospect of having to pay the medical bills for 5 years for an injured Kangaroo would be pretty strong incentive to caution on the roadway!
In Santa Cruz, CA, where I lived for 25 years, broad bike lanes line the biggest streets and traffic is cautious enough in the residential areas that a bicycle is truly a workable transportation form. And of course, the weather was moderate with 320 days per year judged “good for biking.”
Here in Virginia, quite the oposite. Norrow lanes, no bike lanes and no paved shoulders on the roads. Every big pickup whizzing past a cyclist is a near death experience.

Same deal in my area. On the other hand, in my many years, I have trouble remembering when the last time was that I saw a cyclist stop at a stop sign, traffic signal, or for someone in a crosswalk. Everyone is fair game it seems.
If I was an “ambulance chaser”, this might be a place to hang out the shingle (link below, but read just before bedtime). Some bureaucrat worked overtime to come up with the fee schedule for “accidents”. Did not see anything regarding D.V.M. costs for the poor Roos on bikes. In my opinion, kind of like getting a $7,500 .gov payment for funeral expenses. Guess how much the undertaker charges…wait for it…$7,500.
https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/regulations/2017-639.pdf

When I was younger I rode the streets of a small USA city for over 15 years as a cycling commuter without an accident. It can be done.
I attribute this in large part to a sobering cycling event that happened years before at age seven when I had a head on collision with a car. My bicycle speedometer was approaching 20mph when we collided. Thankfully the auto driver saw me coming and came to an emergency stop as we ‘met’. After severely bruising my face and chin on the car’s windshield and destroying my bike, I began the process of learning to ride safely. My enthusiasm for cycling eventually led to even owning a bike shop for awhile.
The rules of the road for cyclists are primarily common sense. See and be seen and make yourself be seen; hear, hear and listen. You are invisible, anticipate others actions based on that fact.
Stay off main drags! At over 6ft tall, on a bike I am very much only a runt in car traffic. I don’t care if there are bike lanes, your chance of survival on an observed 30mpg road are multiple times better than on a 40mph road. Don’t piss off others, including pedestrians.
If you plan to ride, learn the rules, adopt the attitude. I have a friend who is now in his 90’s and still riding safely.
All of the guidelines for common sense riding are on this website. If you ride now or plan to, I highly recommend https://bicyclesafe.com/. Cheers and safe riding.