What Should I Do? The Basics of Resilience (Part 6 – Heat, Power, & Communications)

That’s great you share us with your personal preprations…I really like solar phone chargers…

http://cookinggames5.wordpress.com/

That’s great you share us with your personal preprations…I really like solar phone chargers…

http://cookinggames5.wordpress.com/

Webnomics Technologies is a asp.net development and outsourcing company providing affordable web development services. Now a new project of Online store launched, where you can buy online products as well as online shopping here. Webnomics technologies has their expertise in forex market and travel industry which provide most latest forex trading and updates.

Want to know why I love the Powerex or Irridium recharable batteries recommended at this site? Mike Adams of Natural News took apart an Energizer D battery. Rechargeble, yes. Powerful or honest? Not hardly. There's a smaller battery inside, weaker than a good AA, surrounded by a useless plastic shell. And air.

Why are Energizer "D" batteries so weak? To find out the answer, I decided to take one apart and see what was inside. As this picture reveals, inside the "D" battery is a much smaller battery! The Energizer "D" battery is actually just a cheap plastic shell surrounding a much smaller, low-capacity battery similar in size and capacity to an "AA" battery (2500 mAh).

Amanda- I just came by your question about recharging. I bought this super double A A recharger. Believe it or not you just use SALT water as the fuel. It worked as advertised.
As we say in the boy scouts, Be Prepared. Curt.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/CAMP-415

[quote=flatspin]Don't overlook amateur radio as a good communications alternative. Can provide voice communication and digital access to internet. Licenses are ultra easy to get these days. A good way to network and make friends in the local community you will be relying on too.
[/quote]
CB (community band) radio is even easier, as it requires no license in most territories. The equipment is also a little bit cheaper, as it is made in larger numbers. A basic set might cost you about $150, the highest quality equipment will be less than $700 for a complete set.
With a good antenna you can easily achieve 20 to 100 miles range (the higher above ground, the better), even international or world-wide transmission is possible with the right atmospheric conditions. My permanent antenna is suspended on a rope in the top of our tree (30 meters/yards above ground on a hill-side, shot the rope over the tree-top with a cross-bow) and I usually get about 50 to 60 miles voice communication range with that, more for digital packet radio. In addition to that I have a mobile antenna which is connected to my heavy lifting kite (has to be anchored to the ground, a human trying to hold onto it would fly away, has more than 4 meters/yards width). The antenna cable is tied to the kite rope and grounded to the anchors and car-chassis. This way I can get the antenna up 80 meters/yards above ground on a hill or mountain top, and I have achieved more than 100 miles useful range for voice communication and more than 160 miles for digital packet radio communication with that antenna.
Power requirements are very modest and can be met with a car-battery, 2 m² of portable solar panels and a solar lead-battery charger, altogether less than $200.
For digital packet radio communication (e-mail, realtime chats, bulletin boards, etc.) you will also need a computer (RaspberryPi will do and uses very little power) and a radio-modem or TNC, the complete set will cost you between $150 and $300, depending on the possible transmission speeds and included TNC server software.
You will have to invest a couple of weekends browsing the internet to learn how to set-up and operate the equipment, one weekend if you have prior knowledge of electronics. Or you can join a local CB radio club and learn everything important within an afternoon from an experienced user.

Guys, can you update the links on this page, specifically the one for the solar charging station.  Thanks