You're Likely A Lot Less Prepared For Crisis Than You Realize

Here are links to Dr Albert Barlett’s talk on “Arithmetic, Population and Energy” mentioned above by Les.
Transcript is here:
http://www.albartlett.org/presentations/arithmetic_population_energy_tra…
And video here:

Uncletommy wrote:
I completely agree. Most of these are either war or economic refugees and migrants. Wait until the ecological migrations begin...the above chart would need to by multiplied by some larger number like 10x or more. Then the very hard, very difficult, very painful decisions will have to be made. What exactly does one do with a sinking boat full of people that cannot be accepted into your host country and cannot be brought back to their country of origin? Watch? Take them aboard...but then what? Once the food wars begin the scope of human tragedy will be extraordinary and heartbreaking. Worst of all, it didn't have to end up that way. We have the ability to foresee these things. We could have made different choices.

We could choose to go apeshit over football players kneeling, or Presidents saying they should be fired.

/shakes head

We are doomed.

So true Chris. Humanity could make take a different path but my observations tell me it will not. It could be our species greatest failing or it could be more akin to the process of a caterpillar turning into a butterfly.
From a spiritual point of view, I like to think that those who have the foresight to understand where we are in the process of human evolution is more akin to the imaginal cell of the butterfly. But that is just what I want to believe because I like the outcome better. http://www.butterflymysteries.com/imaginal-cells.html
It’s going to get gooey before we get our wings!
Coop

I agree with you Les that I too do not expect that to happen but it seems like a ‘wiser’ solution than the alternative which likely lies along the road of war, pestilence and famine. It seems like it would be worth a try and why not end up taking a ‘winter walk’ in your garden on your terms vs. holed up in a bunker fighting off the whatevers.
We established a 501 c.3 local sustainability non profit group here http://www.focusnews.org/ in Sonora which only speaks to a small number of the population. It has struggled for membership, mostly because it took on political and controversial subjects at the outset and that produced the obvious outcome. In the past few years we have concentrated on local food production, permaculture educational classes, medicinal herbs courses, culinary arts classes and helped the local high schools ag programs and everyone gets along fine!
Just don’t discuss the election … or climate change…or!
Coop

Gail Tverberg has a great new article out on her website. https://ourfiniteworld.com/author/gailtheactuary/
Had an “ah-ha” moment as she explained how lack of growth impacts us. Her examples are very relevant!
As a regular shopper at Goodwill stores I can attest to the fact that they are getting busier often in lieu of shopping at department stores. Many preps can be picked up for pennies on the dollar such as blankets, candles, extra clothes, games and so on.
Would love to hear Gail as a guest again!
AKGrannyWGrit

Snydeman wrote:
Yeah, like [w]e could choose to go apeshit over football players kneeling, or Presidents saying they should be fired.
/shakes head
Snydeman, I'm not sure if you were dissing the football players kneeling or the President suggesting they should be fired. Perhaps you were just commenting on the fixated discourse on the MSM. Have you ever thought about what patriotism means? Is it a one way street or multifaceted? To me, it is an unspoken contract between the populace and the elected leaders. For the last 3+ decades, the elected leaders have shirked their end of the bargain. Instead of doing what was/is right, they do what they can to accentuate power or merely to build personal treasure. In my book, that isn't right. On January 14, 2014, I posted a comment on "https://peakprosperity.com/insider/84301/nsa-scandal-just-getting-worse" (Post #41). I was responding to jtwalsh concerning the events of 9/11. Here is a snippet of the post:
When I first came to the conclusion that the official story didn't make sense, I started looking for scenarios that did. I worked up the ladder of possibilities as you did, but the only explanation that made sense to me was that high level people in my government perpetrated this crime. (I think the motive was a twisted version of "greater good.") I wanted them to pay! In my zeal for justice, I alienated coworkers and friends. I was cautioned by my boss that I shouldn't talk about "that 9/11 crap" on company property or I would face disciplinary actions, likely termination. After that, I stopped talking about it at work. I rarely go to sporting events, but shortly thereafter, a coworker had season tickets and couldn't find anyone to go. He asked me. I balked but gave in. Before the game, there was the obligatory singing of the national anthem. My knee jerk reaction was to place my hand over my heart and stand there. I questioned myself about why I was conforming and put my hand down. Then, the thought that our leadership was using our patriotism against us ... flashed through my mind. In anger, I turned and faced the back of the stadium, looking at the feet of the people in the row behind me. My wife watched the game on TV that evening and told me I stood out like a sore thumb during a camera pan of the audience. I love what this country was all about. I hate what the moneyed interests and TBTF have done to it. Realistically, a single person or small group can't do anything to stop it. The most you can hope to do is raise awareness. Once a large enough minority questions the events, the clamor to investigate will become deafening. First, you need to educate yourself. There is an awful lot of information out there. Unfortunately, not all of it is true. Sand_Puppy has posted some really good links. I have found www.ae911truth.org to have the highest integrity. They, like Chris, just want to see it investigated. I support their cause.
I understand the frustration that the football players are feeling. There is a wrong that needs to be righted. Is this the most appropriate way to do so? Probably not. What would be the most effective way to see change happen? Meanwhile, ask yourself if your patriotism is positioned correctly? Is your patriotism rooted in current reality or just a dream that might have been? For what it's worth, in the '60s I wanted to join the Army to go to Viet Nam and kill Gooks. (I'm purposefully using the inflammatory language that I used then.) For Christmas one year, I asked for the Green Beret album. I wore it out. I thought the hippies protesting the war were commies who wanted to destroy this country. When Nixon was caught in the Watergate scandal, I believed he was innocent. Fighting in Viet Nam had ended by the time I could join the military. My brother talked me into joining the Air Force instead of the Army. I served 4 years of active duty and got an honorable discharge. (That is just because I didn't get caught.) My naivete was the first casualty. I was angry that I had been duped as a youth. I started questioning people's motives. I may not have questioned everything, but I certainly didn't swallow all the lies anymore. I no longer believe this country is salvageable. We are too far in debt and too aged to pull out of the nosedive. Patriotism is an easy sell for politicians ... but it doesn't fix anything. The NFL protests may just be a sideshow or a symptom of bigger problems. Don't just dismiss it because it cuts across the staid grain. Grover
Grover wrote:
Snydeman wrote:
Yeah, like [w]e could choose to go apeshit over football players kneeling, or Presidents saying they should be fired.
/shakes head
Snydeman, I'm not sure if you were dissing the football players kneeling or the President suggesting they should be fired. Perhaps you were just commenting on the fixated discourse on the MSM.

The last one of the three.

First off, you are right to challenge my post along the lines you did, because you are completely correct. I understand and agree with what you are saying, and believe me I understand why the players were taking knees, as well as the issues surrounding what patriotism means. I just get frustrated that we as Americans are so fixated on these issues - which are important - at the expense of ignoring far greater, and in my opinion deadlier, crises landing at our collective doorsteps. However, the manner of my post leaves the impression that I don’t care about the issues that are at the heart of this current domestic firestorm. I know better than to post out of emotion, least of all frustration, so for that I apologize.

I suppose it comes down to this: arguing over First Amendment rights seems moot if our economy collapses or our social fabric unravels due to the myriad of global-level problems we face. But that doesn’t mean I don’t take First Amendment issues, racism, or the question of the nature of patriotism seriously. I think I am even more frustrated by this current firestorm precisely because the MSM has therefore ignored things like Puerto Rico, Houston, North Korea, etc, and because it just feels like a classic bait-and-switch intended to draw our attention away from something bigger and badder going on. It didn’t help that I’ve spent the last two days watching my FB ignite over the issue of players protesting racism, but never seeing the same kind of passion about the environment, climate change, dwindling oil, political corruption, etc. Still, I could have written a better and more elucidating post saying the same thing.

Aloha! Whenever politics enters into America it becomes a catalyst for useless anger. Taking a knee would be better served in a Chicago ghetto but then again a lot less exposure would result.
While the NFL players took a knee since this Sunday seven blacks were killed in Chicago ghettos. The month of September is not yet over and already 51 have died in Chicago ghettos, mostly black. Over the past eight years over 4,000 have died in Chicago ghettos. It is a disgrace that Obama and his good friend Rahm let that happen, especially since they are at the top of the power structure there.
If you want to see the real victims of generations of oppression go HERE. But they were not oppressed by police.

As a resident of a tropical area, I’m amused by the notion that living for 6 months without power in a tropical area would be some kind of hellish experience. If you can’t handle an electricity-free existence for a few months in the tropics, you’re gonna have a heck of a time dealing with the upcoming collapse!

We we don’t have air conditioning. Few people where we live (besides tourists) do. My mom grew up without a/c in Miami. It’s really not that horrific. Frankly, the hardest part of dealing without fans would be the lack of noise. My husband and I are addicted to white noise to sleep.

This brings me to the suggestion that one of the core facets of being prepared for whatever comes is physical health. Sure, if you are acclimatized to cold, tropical heat would be difficult. But if u live in a tropical climate and cannot survive without a/c (or even power) you either need to move somewhere colder, or you need to improve your health. And, frankly (as un-pc as it is to say it) lose weight.

i love air conditioning. I love it like I love chocolate or baclava or scotch. But I love it the way you love a LUXURY. Aka, something you don’t need to survive. But when it comes to getting through hard times, some basics are in order; the ability to walk a few miles. The ability to find water and shade in the heat, and hopefully a breeze. All life flourishes in the tropics. Human life as well.

Snydeman wrote:
Grover wrote:
Snydeman, I'm not sure if you were dissing the football players kneeling or the President suggesting they should be fired. Perhaps you were just commenting on the fixated discourse on the MSM.
The last one of the three.
Snydeman, I'm glad you were just commenting on the status of the MSM. Remember that their goal is to sell advertising. Controversy sells advertising. Who really cares what it is for (as long as advertisers pay to promote it)? I agree that there are many, many crises that the MSM doesn't address. (Obviously, none of those issues sell advertising.) That is only somewhat tongue-in-cheek. These problems will either become the match that lights the fuse or those issues will subside while a dozen other crises take the stage. It is just where we are in the grand cycle of things. These myriad crises will coalesce into a giant conflagration at some point. It may matter to historians which crises caused the meltdown, but does it really matter to those living through it? We will have to deal with whatever comes ... or die trying. I really don't expect help from our elected leaders. They may appear to push for low-interest loans or temporary housing for disaster victims (at huge public expense,) but they won't be there when it really matters. When the going gets tough, they'll abandon their jobs and try to care for loved ones. That's the only signal you need to watch. The rest is just noise. Some of it sells advertising. ;-) Grover

12 of our own and adopted 1. Critical thinkers should have more children, and raise more critical thinkers. My wife taught all of ours at home and we have 4 with or on their way to having their PhD’s in STEM fields.
You don’t look at a field with a lot of weeds and say we have too many plants and stop planting the good stuff… :slight_smile: