Answering Reader Q&A

As usual, we asked for questions and you delivered in spades.

In today's podcast, Chris and I are joined by Chris' wife, Becca, in answering a number of the questions posed on this site this week.

We address:

• Chris' updated forecast of a steep market decline by September
  • Home resilience advice
  • What exactly happens at the Peak Prosperity seminar in Kripalu
  • How to share the message of the Crash Course with children

And, no surprise, we had many more questions than time to answer them. We'll release a second podcast later this week, digging into the remaining ones.

Click the play button below to listen to Chris, Adam, and Becca address questions submitted by Peak Prosperity readers (37m:14s).

[Update: Part 2 to this Q&A can be heard here]

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://peakprosperity.com/answering-reader-qa/

I was really looking forward to hearing your answers to the questions posed. Instead, I perceived this podcast to be mostly an infomercial for the upcoming Kripalu conference. With airfare, accommodations, tuition, etc. it would cost my wife and I approximately $2K to attend. I'm sure it would be a wonderful weekend, but not in my budget.
You touched on the edges of several questions and specifically answered 3. I was hoping for more.

Granted, lots of the questions were overlapping. It would be nice for someone to summarize the questions into a manageable grouping. (Post the summary on the thread, please.) This approach may lose some of the nuance, but would be a reasonable compromise to repeating the responses.

Grover

PS - Be aware that buckwheat produces a very dark, pungent honey that is akin to molasses. A very small amount will dominate the flavor profile. If that is your goal, go for it.

As mentioned both in the podcast and in the summary above, more is on the way very soon.
There were a truckload of questions submitted and we didn't want to rush through them hurriedly.

Chris and I thought it important to involve Becca in the resilience-focused questions, as some were directed to the Martensons specifically, and she adds another valuable perspective we don't get the chance to showcase often enough on the site. With our three schedules, 40 minutes (edited down) was all we had time to record together.

Chris and I have already recorded an additional 40 minutes of answers (on climate change, asset allocation, precious metals, career advice, etc) which is currently being edited. And we still didn't get through all of the material.

And as regards the Kripalu seminar, since so many of the preparation-related questions were treading into that territory, it seemed a natural opportunity for us to dive more deeply into the seminar curriculum. These seminars offer the most effective and impactful material we have on these resilience-building topics. And since Kripalu is our last seminar of the year and is approaching fast (July 19-21), we wanted to make sure those considering attending had enough perspective to decide whether or not to make it this year. Even for those not planning to attend (like Grover), we think it's useful to know what goes on (as we get asked this often).

The next segment of responses should air on the site within a few days; though that timing may change depending on the action in the markets next week. Looking at Friday's close, we may be in for a tumultuous week ahead.

Chris,
For the cut worms, we save cardboard toilet paper rolls all year (and I save them from our office building as well).  You tear them apart in spiral fashion and then wrap them around the plant.  Works like a charm.

For the black bear, a guard dog that sleeps outside and is more vigilant at night like an Anatolian shepherd is one possibility.  A shotgun with shells with rubber pellets is another.  If anyone questions the shotgun going off at night, just tell them you were following Joe Biden's advice.;-) 

I am on the other side of the globe, making good use of the non-apperance of winter.
One thing is for sure. If I found a partner, part of the contract will be that she is dragged off to Kripalu. (Poor thing.) There is not a chance in the world that I would even consider hitching my wagon to a horse that pulls in the wrong direction. 

I have no land. I have millions of acres.

When peak oil begins to bite no-one will bother me on the Bight. The thing to do now (and I must shake my stumps) is to plant date palms and other weedy species in the dark of night. 

The date palms that I planted on Dr Barney McCullum's farm are doing very well indeed. With the expansion of the Hadley cells due to Climate Change I expect that his neighbours will abandon wheat for dates and camels.

(Sailors need to know about the winds and stuff.)

I enjoyed hearing Chris, Becca and Adam all talk about the steps they are personally taking to prepare; very interesting.  I did see what Grover was talking about. But since Chris and Adam are going to do another podcast or two to answer the rest of the other questions, I'm ok with it.  I still got value out of the information that was provided.  
In particular, I just planted a couplle of rows of potatoes, and my ears picked right up when Adam described the potato-tower that he (and it sounds like the Martentson's) are experimenting with.  How cool would that be to save all that garden space if that works?  

Also, Becca talked about planting certain plants underneath their trees in the orchard, vs just grass.  That also caught my attention, as I am at that same place (trees in the orchard with grass underneath), and was planning on digging up the grass and putting mulch around them to keep weeds away, protect them from the mower, and to hold in moisture.  But now I am curious to learn more about what Becca was talking about (the use of plants that actually perform a function in relationship to the tree, if I understood that right).

Thanks for the insight into your lives and preparations.  I know it helps me gauge my own efforts, and to learn additional things that you all are doing that I might want to look into as well.

pinecarr -
You can find more information on the potato tower (including plans for constructing) here:

https://peakprosperity.com/discussion/81271/potato-tower

And here's a recent picture below of mine, as an example of how much the plants like this set-up:

We used to use stacked old car tyres to grow potatoes in.

[quote=ao]Chris,
For the cut worms, we save cardboard toilet paper rolls all year (and I save them from our office building as well).  You tear them apart in spiral fashion and then wrap them around the plant.  Works like a charm.
For the black bear, a guard dog that sleeps outside and is more vigilant at night like an Anatolian shepherd is one possibility.  A shotgun with shells with rubber pellets is another.  If anyone questions the shotgun going off at night, just tell them you were following Joe Biden's advice.;-) 
[/quote]

I recently heard about a remedy for cutworms from the Survival Podcast.
Place a nail in the ground that is next to the stem of the plant.
Apparently, the cutworm wraps itself around the plant as it is eating the stem.   If it wraps itself around
a hard surface ( Simulating a more mature plant) it moves on.  

I dont know for sure if this works, but I thought it sounded like a perfect solution if it does.

John

Thanks for the link, Adam.  I look forward to trying potato-towers out too!

[quote=pinecarr] 
Also, Becca talked about planting certain plants underneath their trees in the orchard, vs just grass.  That also caught my attention, as I am at that same place (trees in the orchard with grass underneath), and was planning on digging up the grass and putting mulch around them to keep weeds away, protect them from the mower, and to hold in moisture.  But now I am curious to learn more about what Becca was talking about (the use of plants that actually perform a function in relationship to the tree, if I understood that right).

[/quote]
Pinecarr,
I would highly recommend you pick up a copy of Gaia's Garden by Toby Hemenway. It does a great job of explaining a fruit tree and nut tree guild that you can plant beneath your trees. It is one of the best permaculture books I have ever read.
As an aside some of the plants I use in my orchard/ food forest and their functions:
Dutch White Clover: Pollinator attractor, nitrogen fixer, pathways
Daikon Radish: Nutrient Accumulator, Edible
Garlic: Pest repellant, Edible
Chives: Pest repellant, Edible
Cilantro: Pest repellant, Edible, Predator insect attractor
Goumi: Nitrogen fixer, edible
Comfrey: Nutrient accumulator, edible, mulch plant
(I have specifics of what plants I planted with what trees at the link below.)
http://www.foodproduction101.com/blog/food-forest-planting-guilds.html

I can second the recommendation of Gaia's Garden.  Great reference encyclopedia is Edible Forest Gardens, though the text is not so good, I have never read a book where after reading a few pages thought, how did so many words get used to say so little.  Reference sections in the back are great though.
I can also highly recommend "designing and maintaining your edible landscape naturally" by Robert Kourik.  Not as pretty a book as Gaia's Garden, but great in depth information.  A lot of permaculture writers borrow from him heavily.  Lee Reich has a great book, "Landscaping with Fruit".  Very user friendly, lots of recommendations for unusual low maintenance edible landscape plants.

I can't talk about books and nature/gardening without mentioning this book, this book should be required reading for everyone on the planet, "The One Straw Revolution", by Masanobu Fukuoka.  More philosophy than anything else, medicine for our time.

I have just submitted a new piece to CFN website called "The Divine Road Ahead". It has pretty pictures (and one not so pretty picture.)

Thank-you Phil and Treebeard;  I look forward to checking out the books you suggested, and adding them to my growing garden/orchard library!  Thanks also for your link, Phil!

Arthur
Bless you. We learn from our dumbest mistakes and you have nailed mine :slight_smile:
I am fortunate to be able to learn from the dumb mistakes once in a while. And yes, I did sound a bit self indulgent there.
Regards
Denise

We've been blessed with a rather sizable population of bees hovering over the garden and clover field this year.  And I noticed today that this is in part to a hive of bumble bees that has taken up residence in our attic (wha-waaa).  Any ideas as to how we can convince them to relocate without harming them?  We're glad they are around - just not in the attic, please…bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Time -I've posted your plea to the Peak Prosperity Beekeeping Group. Hopefully, some of the seasoned bee experts there have helpful advice to lend.
Since I still consider myself a beekeeping newbie, the only advice I have to recommend is calling your local bee shop or bee guild. I'm sure they can direct you to a local provider with expertise in removing bees from inside a house as gently as possible.

[quote=Adam Taggart]Time -
I've posted your plea to the Peak Prosperity Beekeeping Group. Hopefully, some of the seasoned bee experts there have helpful advice to lend.
Since I still consider myself a beekeeping newbie, the only advice I have to recommend is calling your local bee shop or bee guild. I'm sure they can direct you to a local provider with expertise in removing bees from inside a house as gently as possible.
[/quote]
Thanks Adam, much appreciated!

• Time2Help

Chris talked about holding cash and staying out of the markets in his anticipation of risk later this year of a significant correction.  After you've invested in personal resilence and conservation, how is this balanced with the need to protect wealth from losing value due to inflation and the risk of not timing the markets optimally?  Not being in stocks this year so far one would have missed out on some significant gains, whether driven by the Fed or fundamentals.  Hope to hear more clarification in the next podcast.

It's VERY unusual for them to be in an attic or the walls of a structure.  Honeybees are the insect prone to building comb in those places.  In any case, bees aren't "convinced" to relocate.  They have to be physically moved.  If they are in an attic space, or in structure walls above the first floor, it can be a difficult and expensive process.  If you find that unpractical, the comb or nest would need to be sprayed to kill the colony.  Spraying individuals as they come-and-go is a fruitless waste of time.  If a strong honeybee colony is killed during warmer months, the bees are dead but their comb structure remains.  It will contain not just wax, but pollen and honey.  Honey especially really attracts rodents and ants.  Think about what would happen in your particular structure with a bunch of junk in the wall or attic.  Feel free to PM me to discuss your situation.Julie (grandefille)