Chris & Evie Going Live Today! 1:00 PM EST

This is where I got it:
https://twitter.com/cotupacs/status/1646269568380203011

2 Likes

That raises quite a few excellent points that need to be addressed

1 Like

Thank you Bagginz
I’m hunting this down. The problem with audio vexes me because it seems like it shouldn’t be this hard. But when the Mic feeds a camera, that then comes as a consolidated A/V feed into an ATEM mini Pro, then out to OBS
for some reason OBS (and Vmix and Wirecast which we’ve also struggled with) seems to have a strong desire to also do things and manage the audio without providing clear or obvious controls to what it’s up to.
This should be really easy. There’s an audio channel and it sits in one place and you control it. But noooooOoooo. At least that’s been my very frustrated experience so far.

I wish to share an idea I came up with last night. For those who have their own websites, as I do. I have just added this to my footer

THIS IS A “No AI” WEBSITE.
No artificial intelligence is used in our research or writing.
I have spent decades honing my writing skills and I will be shucky darned if someone thinks some machine wrote my stuff!

1 Like

Live Cast

I love their show so much, retro bowl and have been waiting to watch every episode. So glad there’s a new episode

Thank You, Evie!

for reading The Invitation. I first heard it in 1999. The poem, and book, made a big impact on me then and it made a big impact on me again as you read it. It was a nice counterpoint to all this unsettling talk of AI taking over everything. Perhaps in matters of the soul there is still room for human beings.
In reading that poem on air you demonstrated some of the qualities the poem asks us to embrace.

Ai

The new AI craze is like giving a third grader who doesn’t yet know the multiplication tables a calculator
It seems most people already have a hard enough time thinking for themselves

1 Like

Beauty

It is easy to see the beauty in a young ballerinas art, but can you see the beauty of woman’s entire life in the furrowed wrinkles of her 80 year old face

3 Likes

Wow! Read between the lines and they are saying “By your actions of the last few decades and especially the last few years, you have lost all credibility and therefore the authority to set the agenda, produce and control the narrative at events like this one. We are here to point out your loss of authority and to reclaim the dialogue by asking real and relevant questions that all Americans deserve to hear your honest answer to. And, if you can’t or won’t answer them honestly and act to correct course based on those answers, then you must be displaced from authority so those who are willing and able to do so can take your positions.”

3 Likes

Poem

Loved the Poem, Evie. Thank you!

4 Likes

The Invitation

I first came across that poem perhaps 15-20 years ago. It touched me deeply then. I have revisited it a few times since then and been just as touched. I have not, however, done so in at least 5 years. Thank you Evie for reading it again. It touched me in a much deeper way after the crucible of the past 3 years has recast my psyche into something that can be more present, connected and understanding of the human journey.
Here it is for the record:
The Invitation
by Oriah Mountain Dreamer
It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing.
It doesn’t interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive.
It doesn’t interest me what planets are squaring your moon. I want to know if you have touched the centre of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life’s betrayals or have become shrivelled and closed from fear of further pain.
I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it, or fade it, or fix it.
I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own; if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, be realistic, remember the limitations of being human.
It doesn’t interest me if the story you are telling me is true. I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself. If you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul. If you can be faithless and therefore trustworthy.
I want to know if you can see Beauty even when it is not pretty every day. And if you can source your own life from its presence.
I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand at the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, ‘Yes.’
It doesn’t interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone and do what needs to be done to feed the children.
It doesn’t interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the centre of the fire with me and not shrink back.
It doesn’t interest me where or what or with whom you have studied. I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all else falls away.
I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.

And while we’re on the topic of crucibles, this song describes the past 5 years for me quite well:

https://jumpsuitrecords.bandcamp.com/track/crucible-acoustic

5 Likes

Finding Your (local) Tribe

I kinda feel sorry for anyone who needs a locator map to find like-minded people because we’re surrounded by them. While I wouldn’t have been able to clearly articulate the reasons back then (I sure as hell can now), I knew we needed to be away from the SF Bay Area so I followed my gut and moved to BFE, Utah.
Prepping and distrust, in my case seething hatred, for government is the norm here. We’re surrounded by farms, ranches and people who can still function without an internet connection. Almost everyone has a garden and knows how to preserve food. Almost everyone hunts. Almost everyone is armed to the teeth.
The demographic is like, 98% Mormon. We are not Mormons. We are not Christians. We are not Ayran. We hate sports (the second religion here).  We are child-free. WE SHOULD NOT FIT IN HERE, yet we do. We’re accepted, included and appreciated and I’ll leave this canyon when the undertaker hauls me out, not before.

2 Likes

Discussion Point For Next Sunday!

I’m trying to get my head around the China conundrum! I keep hearing / reading that China is going to start struggling over the coming years due to a rapidly aging population (one child policy / rapid urbanisation) compounded with a real dependence on agricultural component imports (fertiliser etc.).
That said, China seems to be strategically / geopolitically on point with the need to secure the remaining oil moving forward, and also seems to be developing positive relations with 2/3’s of the worlds ‘other’ population.
Where will China be in the next 25-40 years? A depopulated mess unable to feed its population or still a major global force?
What am I missing about China? Help!

1 Like

I am happy you feel accepted and included. I live in a similar area now, after years of suburban existence. In my experience, I have to put myself out there with intention in order to integrate into a new community. In my case, I have been fortunate to begin the process by finding a faith community. I have reached out to local PP tribe members I the hope of expanding that circle of like-minded people, so far have not had a response.

1 Like

Google Ai Is No Chat Gpt

I have been wondering is chat GPT has built in bias (specifically woke bias, given that its creators are most likely woke).
But now I wonder if it will just make stuff up, like Google’s AI offering, Baird, does.
https://www.theblaze.com/news/google-ceo-admits-he-doesnt-know-how-his-own-ai-works

1 Like

This is why I will never use it for research. My doc recently gave me the notes he dictated during our visit and it continually referred to me as “they.” If I had noticed it at the office I would have said I was offended that it got my gender wrong.
It’s similar to GPS which would probably tell you to drive off a cliff if you weren’t paying attention. Talk about learned helplessness.

How long before AI is called as a witness in court?

Beautiful poem @quercus-bicolor-2. Oriah Mountain Dreamer’s book expands on the themes and ideas expressed in the poem. The book starts off with ‘The Invitation’, then goes on to ‘Accepting the Invitation’, ‘The Longing’, ‘The Fear’, ‘The Sorrow’, ‘The Joy’, ‘Betrayal’, ‘Beauty’, ‘Failure’, ‘The Commitment’, ‘The Fire’, ‘Deep Sustenance’ and ‘Finding Our Way Home’. It’s a small book but very powerful. Judging by my emotional reaction to reading the poem again, I think it’s time to re-read the book! Thank you Evie for sharing it with the PP tribe. I am grateful for what you bring to the conversation here - we share a similar spiritual nature. I believe that having a sense of the spiritual is going to be very important in the coming years. The IQ in VatIQ.

1 Like

If AI is biased in favor of certain direction you will have to check its assumptions.
If it has hidden agenda you will have to check it every time you use it.
But it might be winner even if controlled by unfriendly helper.

It seems it worked out great for you. Good to hear that.

1 Like