Coronavirus: Why The US Is In Deep Trouble

The death rate/serious complications rates are reported to be much higher for 60+ (my age group) and older. Has anyone seen info on what the rates are for basically healthy folks vs. those with underlying conditions for various age groups? I’m not going to work this week but this kind of info will be helpful for thinking things through in the future. My workplace (1,000 person agency) has a lot of folks commuting in from the Tacoma/Seattle area.

Yeah, and you are stupid enough to stick anything in your nose from gates… who wants nothing more than reduce the population. I do too… but this guy is a scumbag enough to put something on that swab… and he is a scumbag … his history is in the stone.

Don’t forget you would also be sending them a sample of your DNA…

Here it is on You Tube - today’s video titled
Managing the Crisis - New data introduces some hope
Cheers
Grayman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb94GXQVEKQ

Yes, I saw this data and it was very reassuring (I’m near 60 myself). Something like 0.2%. The problem most people have at that age is that most have a few things wrong, at least blood pressure, prediabetes if not diabetes, possibly something autoimmune as well, like thyroid disease.

I just received this email from harbor freight, I had long expected and anticipated the grocery chains to implement the same kind of responsibility. I also suggested my brother’s employer that sees 4000 per day to implement some policy like this… but his boss thinks this some soft of mild flu.

As communities begin to feel the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19), I want to share with you the steps we’re taking at Harbor Freight Tools to help protect the health and safety of our customers and associates, which is always our top priority. We’re closely monitoring local and national reports on the evolving impact of COVID-19 and, based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the World Health Organization and applicable public health agencies, we’ve developed plans and established a task force that will allow us to respond timely and appropriately. Our housekeeping and sanitization efforts in our stores have been greatly expanded. We’re frequently disinfecting often-touched surfaces such as door handles, countertops, keypads, restroom surfaces, shopping carts and baskets. We’re asking all of our associates (and we urge everyone) to follow the CDC guidelines to prevent the spread of the infection. We feel deeply for those who have been affected. Thankfully, as of now, we’re not aware of any associate contracting COVID-19. But we have implemented guidelines that instruct any associate who may develop symptoms or come into contact with infected individuals to stay home and follow the CDC’s instructions. And impacted associates will be compensated for their missed work hours. At this time, all of our stores are open for business during their regular hours to meet the needs of our customers. If we become aware of any condition in any store that would make it unsafe, please rest assured that we’ll close the store until those conditions have been addressed. Again, the health and safety of our customers and associates are our top priority and we’re committed to doing our part to help keep you safe. Thank you, Eric Smidt Owner and Founder Harbor Freight Tools
That is exactly the kind of response we need.. action not over-reaction..
  1. Asymptomatic transmission accounted for a majority of cases in certain places:
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.05.20031815v1
  2. The doubling time is different in different places
    After attending a local meeting though Facebook Live, I see more problems. One, the infectious disease MD who spoke said she didn’t think the virus would be infectious even though it may be present on surfaces. Boggles the mind then why they keep cleaning schools etc. when they find an infected person.
    Two, the MD who leads the county public health agency said he thought mortality was about 0.1%. Fine, he can have his opinion, however, all other decisions seemed to flow from that. I understand that he has to weigh closing schools and businesses against the amount of damage the disease will do. But if you have the assumption wrong, then all your other decisions are wrong. You end up with Italy.
    Finally, let’s all have Italy in our thoughts. The situation there is tragic. They are rationing ventilators and letting older people with heart disease die. This is reflected in the 100+ deaths each day. These are people who probably never made it to ventilators. They are looking at the need to quadruple their ICUs by March 27, which is simply not going to happen. And at the same time, being Italian is about getting together with loved ones, laughter, good food, and close contact. It’s the virus with the characteristics to do the most damage to this lovely nation.

Vermin Supreme!

Its amazing , the nonchalant attitude people have that this is not deadly, it only effects the elderly. However, when push comes to shove like in italy, when there are not enough vents and other resources, they will let the elderly , and infirm parish without proper care… – Where is the attitude now , that oh this only effects the older population , i will forgo my vent, I am young and strong… !! Double standards…

I keep hearing talking heads say over and over “If you feel sick, don’t go to the ER. Call your doctor.” What about the host of people in this country without a personal doctor? They have no plan for the poor or uninsured other than “if you get it, be sure to not leave your home but you are on your own”.

COVID-19 in California by the Numbers:
As of March 9, 2020, 7 a.m. Pacific Time, there are a total of 133 positive cases and one death in California: 24 cases are from repatriation flights. The other 109 confirmed cases include 44 that are travel related, 28 due to person-to-person, 19 community acquired and 18 from unknown sources.
Approximately 10,300 people are self-monitoring, across 49 local health jurisdictions, after returning to the U.S. from travel.
Seventeen labs are currently testing for COVID-19 in California.
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Immunization/ncov2019.aspx

[California] State Health & Emergency Officials Encourage Individuals at Higher Risk of Severe Illness due to COVID-19 to Take Precautions
Date: March 9, 2020
[excerpts re: financial and other resources; will need to research what “medically necessary” criteria are to quality for free testing]
*Governor Newsom declared a State of Emergency to make additional resources available, formalize emergency actions already underway across multiple state agencies and departments, and help the state prepare for broader spread of COVID-19.
*Governor Gavin Newsom requested the Legislature make up to $20 million available for state government to respond to the spread of COVID-19.
*24 million more Californians are now eligible for free medically necessary COVID-19 testing.
*California made available some of its emergency planning reserves of 21 million N95 filtering face piece masks for use in certain health care settings to ease shortages of personal protective equipment.
*The Public Health Department is providing information, guidance documents, and technical support to local health departments, health care facilities, providers, schools, universities, colleges, and childcare facilities across California.
*The California Employment Development Department (EDD) is encouraging individuals who are unable to work due to exposure to COVID-19 to file a Disability Insurance claim.
*EDD is also encouraging employers who are experiencing a slowdown in their businesses or services as a result of the Coronavirus impact on the economy to apply for an Unemployment Insurance work sharing program.
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OPA/Pages/NR20-016.aspx

Some 4+ cases have disappeared from the map in Oregon, three in SW Oregon and one in the NE . They are not showing up in either the died or recovered columns. Anybody know what’s going on?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/09/cpac-coronavirus-attendees-124808

It looks like the Hopkins map has stopped listing by county, now it’s only by State. Probably cuts down on their effort. OR has the same number as earlier Monday, just summed up as a State. One of our local State Senators said Saturday, nothing to be concerned about, only 3 people have it here …

Mark, where are you located? I was trying to use the map to see how close cases were coming to my area. Suddenly, cases disappeared.

The findings from a team of Chinese government epidemiologists from Hunan province, who investigated a cluster case, challenge the advice from health authorities around the world that people should remain apart at a “safe distance” of one to two meters (three to six and a half feet).

• Authorities advise people to stay 1-2 meters apart, but researchers found that a bus passenger infected fellow travelers sitting 4.5 meters away
  • The scientists behind the research said their investigation also highlighted the importance of wearing face masks because of the length of time it can linger
Full article here: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3074351/coronavirus-can-travel-twice-far-official-safe-distance-and-stay

https://www.facebook.com/georgehtakei/photos/a.737221629640626/3808380772524681/?type=3&eid=ARAobCsm3OXvQSNT8jyumORXVMYpwNMT5cW0dFWsX5KzfnpsrvOuxfEyHOU5dT1920w_fd8RHAxZPElI&__xts__[0]=68.ARDysrXZwdF662z4uPApb5_mINxeMLN2ya-4s3wWYhtQ9YX4cB9jnlyI8IninFcVyBpRu_3kcIvx3AXxJYIVkN8WjuRM__5jkkSVLOqgH4kZtyOSR-MBFjuryagw5-YDrI84AIV5QP1sL4GrAg5jqwEpNqPubYl7kQpRz6R2any--gIemjcq4_f6Zi8ugc--Zno20K4iLS1Au0xTiEejM5_7Q5l9sDu2fhPTS9VRsOiM0zHiU_dOs9mBsOwPOd-nsOBUKRnEH2QMwo-01KkfYvCo2-HdSq2_fGcmQHiQ7bTxEdOQjAesoNvVb6AWQiV2CrKyg30sZ_JeU4qqrT5r&__tn__=EHH-R

Ken, could not agree with you more. With de-centralization, you can build redundancy into the system thus making it less vulnerable and fragile. The more complex a system is, the more vulnerable. Just look at our supply chains, banking system, political system, mechanisms of governance (all those agencies and acronyms!).
If this is the real game changer, maybe Chris will incorporate a self governing town/state(?) and we can all move there!