Dana Samuelson: Surviving The Great Debasement

Originally published at: Dana Samuelson: Surviving The Great Debasement – Peak Prosperity

In this week’s podcast, I sat down with Dana Samuelson of American Gold Exchange, and I discussed why gold and silver have been suspiciously weak ever since the Iran war started.

Sure, gold and silver have been consolidating after record gains set in late 2025 and into January 2026.

Dana argues that rising oil prices, higher inflation expectations, rising bond yields, and a temporarily stronger U.S. dollar are pressuring precious metals to the downside.

I argue that precious metals have fallen under the manipulation regime/umbrella that has dominated the trading landscape, even for oil as well as stocks.

But, hey, ‘price discovery’ is shifting ever eastward. Eventually the fake and gay U.S. ““markets”” will be as useful for decision-making as a catcall received at 2:00 am during Mardi Gras on Bourbon Street.

Dana and I discussed the major implications of navigating highly manipulated ““markets”” but here’s the thing: All that manipulation buys you is time, which could be a good thing if you are using that time to discover and implement solutions to the problems and predicaments in play.

But it’s perfectly clear: the powers that be are not at all interested in solutions. Which means we have to be laser-focused on our own responses and solutions.

Such are the times in which we live.

My broader concern is the collision between financial engineering and physical limits.

From oil and diesel to copper, silver, and fertilizer, algorithm-driven pricing and short-term market incentives are serving to obscure real shortages that are now on the way.


Note:

I find AI summaries to be quite useful. So here’s an AI summary of this week’s podcast. I’ll probably start including these going forward, but rest assured I will always be crystal clear when something is written by AI. Otherwise, I write everything that carries my name.

AI Summary:

The three points that carry the episode are the following:

  1. The dip in gold and silver is a pause, not a broken debasement trade. Higher oil has lifted inflation expectations, yields, and the dollar, and gold pays no coupon, so it is being pressured. China is on holiday, which usually softens metals until Shanghai returns. The 10–13 percent Shanghai silver premium is a 12 percent import VAT, not a failed arbitrage. Samuelson calls this consolidation after the 2025–early 2026 run: a gold floor near $3,976, a silver floor near $55, and a ranking of silver first (a double from $60 to $120 more plausible than gold doubling from about $4,150), then gold, platinum, and palladium.
  2. Paper prices are being set, not discovered. One-minute dumps in thin overnight sessions crush the bid stack, and oil gets a regular noon slam. Prompt Brent is about $126 and Russian barrels about $130, plus $20–25 of freight, so oil needed now costs around $150, while the front month sits under $90 and the curve prices it at $70–75 a year out. That gap is why Exxon is returning cash instead of drilling faster. Diesel is the sharp edge: Russia, China, and India have pulled product exports, the crack spread is about $122 over suppressed crude, and about 7–8 percent of global diesel capacity is impaired.
  3. The exit is print-and-debase, and physical metal is the hedge. Trump and Bessent have said the debt will be inflated away. Long yields are breaking out in the US, Japan, France, and Germany, and Samuelson sees no path except sacrificing the currency to save the bonds. A Volcker replay does not work: debt-to-GDP was about 35 percent in the 1970s, against roughly $116 trillion of debt now. The rhyme is the late-1970s oil shocks. China is treated as holding far more gold than the official figure under 3,000 tonnes, and Germany and the Netherlands repatriating metal is the tell that vault claims are no longer trusted.

Chris Martenson and Dana Samuelson spend the hour on why gold and silver have gone quiet while the debasement story has gotten louder. Oil lifts inflation expectations, yields rise, the dollar firms, and non-yielding metal sells off. Samuelson calls that temporary, points to a 2022 analog in which a yield spike was followed by a gold run, and notes that financial television has gone quiet on gold because AI is the hot trade. Under that, the physical story is tighter: a multi-year silver mine deficit, copper byproduct supply hit by weather and by sulfuric acid jumping from about $300 to $1,400 a ton, and pricing power shifting from COMEX paper toward Shanghai.

The larger frame is energy and fertilizer. Diesel, sulfur, and phosphate are impaired, a food shock is plausible next year, and even a clean Gulf settlement would take a year to normalize flows and three or four years to rebuild stocks. The shortage shows up as prices, and as activity that never happens: truckers parking rigs, farmers unsure the diesel and drying gas are worth the harvest. Their conclusion is that governments will print to contain the bond market, the currency takes the hit, and physical gold and silver, held rather than lent, are what survive that.


Timestamps

00:00 Gold, Silver, and the Great Debasement
01:40 Why Rising Yields Are Pressuring Gold
03:27 Is China Taking Over Gold Price Discovery?
04:22 Explaining China’s Silver Price Premium
05:45 Silver Shortages Meet Mining Disruptions
08:27 Are Markets Being Bullied?
11:21 Copper Shortages and the Price Signal
14:04 Paper Oil vs. Physical Reality
16:15 The Diesel Crisis and Refinery Shutdowns
19:20 The Economic Damage of Fuel Shortages
24:22 Governments Face the Debasement Dilemma
26:56 Are We Repeating the Inflationary Seventies?
29:53 China’s Long Game for Gold
33:27 Why Governments Want Their Gold Back
35:50 Gold Fever and the Pawn Shop Narrative
39:11 Algorithms, Bubbles, and Market Unreality
41:38 The Coming Energy and Food Shock
47:12 Gold, Silver, Platinum, and Palladium
50:55 Why Rising Diesel Prices Threaten Mining and Farming


FINANCIAL DISCLAIMER:

The information contained in this video and the resources available for download through our affiliated website are not intended as and shall not be understood or construed as financial advice, nor should be interpreted as a solicitation to sell or offer to sell investment advisory services. No person who currently works for or contracts with Peak Prosperity or Peak Financial Investing is an attorney or accountant, nor are we holding ourselves out to be, and the information contained in the video and on the website is not a substitute for legal or tax advice from a professional who is aware of the facts and circumstances of your individual situation. While Peak Financial Investing is a registered investment advisor, please note that this podcast is not intended to be investment advice.

All information has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but its accuracy is not guaranteed. There is no representation or warranty as to the current accuracy, reliability, or completeness of, nor liability for, decisions based on such information, and it should not be relied on as such. We have done our best to ensure that the information provided is accurate and provides what we feel is valuable information. The views expressed are subject to change based on market and other conditions.<

No guests or clients appearing on the podcast receive any form of compensation for their appearance and obtain no other benefit from either Peak Prosperity or Peak Financial Investing.

All investing involves risks including the possible loss of capital. Asset allocation and diversification do not ensure a profit or protect against loss. Please note that outperformance does not necessarily represent positive total returns for a period. There is no assurance that any investment strategy will be successful. All investments carry a certain degree of risk. Dividends are not guaranteed, and a company’s future ability to pay dividends may be limited.

Additional important disclosures for Peak Financial Investing may be found in our Form ADV Part 2A, which can be found at https://adviserinfo.sec.gov/firm/summary/319672.

3 Likes

Thank you for the AI summary.

3 Likes

“All that manipulation buys you is time, which could be a good thing if you are using that time to discover and implement solutions to the problems and predicaments in play.”

The endless waiting for reality to intrude might seem frustrating. Looked at another way, some things of future value are on sale, and we are blessed with some time and foreknowledge to prepare.

1 Like

I often think that, with preparation, there should be a consideration about how far to get into it.

Like with an investment portfolio, you decide what % to allocate to X. Similarly, in the “Portfolio of your Life”, you have to decide how much time and money you allocate to prepping and what you sacrifice or don’t do because of it.

I mean, whether about wars, fiat or the expectation of The Rapture, people have always prepped and some have always gone a bit too far - then had a shit/limited life as a result and died 30 years later and the thing never happened. I don’t class that as winning.

So, I think, don’t be tempted to think “I KNOW what is coming and I’m going all in, balls deep, into it”. Instead, have some gold, have some garden and some knowledge and experience that will be useful. But also live your life. Don’t keep all your savings buried under the chicken coop. Use some to enjoy life. Don’t garden all the time and don’t forgo holidays due to all the “Crisis Chickens” you have or in case the crisis hits that week.

Balance. Allocation of time and resources and mental energy.

13 Likes

Does the community favor physical gold, physical silver, or something else for retaining liquidity through this disjunction? I’m interested in different perspectives on this and I’m hoping people here will speak up with their logic, alternatives, and allocation/ protection strategies.

Some alternates I used to have some hope for included foreign bank accounts, having a 3rd party non-bank metal holder (specifically GoldGrams) and various Crypto Currencies. Anyone who still believes in any of these things protecting them even intermediate term (much less through the “Taking”), needs “a check up from the neck up”. At least that is my perspective, largely based on my own losing experiences. But what do I know?

4 Likes

I dont ‘prepare’ because I am worried about the future, I prepare because I am uncomfortable in the present if I dont.

4 Likes

I admire those who have invested in independent self-sufficiency like with a homestead. But we’re not all equipped or suited for it for a wide variety of reasons. We can each take other steps in reason to increase resilience (ie “prepping”) depending on means, but we each have limitations.

Protecting wealth is a challenge for me. I’d think decreasing counterparty risk through self-custody of assets like precious metals or maybe bitcoin should be a part of it. But that brings its own complications, mainly security.

If security is a problem for precious metals, you might turn to a vault, but then you have to select wisely, fees are not cheap, and it’s another form of counter party risk. Safety deposit boxes are cheaper but also riskier than vaults. Sounds like you already looked into vaults and are not impressed. I can’t argue with that.

One can reallocate paper assets to “molecule” stocks like metals, miners and other commodities. But if those are held in street name in your brokerage account and you don’t actually hold the certificates, there is counterparty risk again, to which you alluded.

Cash in the bank sounds low risk, unless financial crisis spreads systemically. Worst of all would be “bailins” per Dodd Frank where a failing bank basically takes ownership of some/all of your money.

Having some cash on hand is good for practical reasons in a grid down scenario.

So bottom-line, there are few satisfactory answers as far as I know, which seems like the point of your question. Again, IMO, the best answer seems like independent self-sufficiency (eg homestead, victory garden, water source) and hard assets held securely in self-custody. And if a local community can organize that’d help. If you’re of a mind to help others with donations, maybe better to do it now than later.

I do some mix of much of the above. It’s very imperfect, but I’ve done what I can, so I sleep at night. Anyway, we’re all in this life a short while and we can’t take it with us. Getting prepared spiritually is the most important thing.

1 Like

One question branch from someone else here who is also concerned about the various ‘escape’ strategies you mentioned to retain puchasing power - how to Exit back to this purchasing power under the various Control Regimes taking shape?

CBD’s/Stablecoins will have the Third Lock capabilities built in - can’t these be deployed to block PM sales back to a dealer?
(We can hope there will be some wily PM dealers, whose trade has survived thousands of years, who will be willing to make accomodations, but their own financials will also be in a vise)

Barter? Assumes you can find and get to a rancher who will take 1/2oz Gold for 1/2 a cow.

And of course, security concerns when transacting with PM’s - not only the risk of rip-off while bartering, but unwanted curiousity from anyone who observes + their grapevine.

Secure shipment from one’s Vault of choice, crossing borders with it on your person en route back from Switzerland or Hong Kong? Gnarly Headaches.

OTOH, we may have a couple more decades of Rule of Law and international travel and shipping not subject to piracy and banditry, but it is this very stability and continuity which “They” are currently using to implement the Control Grid.

Anyway, the Exit from PM’s back to Purchasing Power under various scenarios, I haven’t come across enough discussion on that.

2 Likes

Then there is the stupid and onerous collectibles tax on sale of precious metals. As far as I know, many dealers do not report the sales of private owners to the IRS for what that is worth.

Rick Rule’s Battle Bank enables a line of credit to be taken against precious metals stored as collateral in related vaults, Brinks, I believe. That sidesteps some complications of tax on sale & transacting, but again there is additional counterparty risk of third-party storage etc. Also, they are picky about the metals they will accept as collateral. They must be on the LBMA list.

I have various ill informed and ignorant observations about some of this.

So America went pretty full bore with the vaccine mandate stuff. The US leant heavily into “no jab no job” policy and did so for quite a long time.

What I don’t fully get is that prominent and wealthy chemists (for example) saying they knew about the evils of the jab, having millions of investment gains in the bank and being 2 years from retirement anyway - but taking the jab to keep the job they’d give up soon anyway. Why? For a few more pay cheques?

Then there is beardy Karl Marx. He got a horse ranch from Boomer-era gold shower science/medical grants, consultancies etc and other disbursements of riches to the chosen ones. He claims he knows all about mRNA - but he got the jab. So what does that say about the level of his moral courage?

So why? 2 people with enough money and knowledge to refuse, but they took it. For what? To add a small % to their already massive piles? To avoid an awkward conversation at the water fountain?

What’s the point of all that knowledge and money and prep, if you don’t have the moral courage to sacrifice a little bit of extra money in return for your life or your beliefs?

I’m using these two as examples and I’m not having a go (Ok, I am a bit). But do you see what I’m saying? You can do it all right. Have knowledge and money and the ability to say “no”, but you say “yes” anyway for reasons I don’t claim to understand. But that force surely must have been powerful to them. Or maybe a life of middle class comfort had robbed them of the moral courage that they might otherwise have developed? I don’t know.

It’s definitely something to think about.

1 Like

Black markets will appear, they always do

With black markets, the need to convert back into the state approved medium of exchange generally disappears - the seller takes your PM direct … why would then want to be paid in worthless paper?

2 Likes

Yes, almost all of live pay check to paycheck

2 Likes

But the people I referenced have money in the bank. They don’t live pay cheque to pay cheque. Or check.

Do you just try to disagree with me these days? That’s fine. I don’t mind. But I’d prefer it if you thought about it for a few seconds before doing so. Or just read the rest of my post. I mean, I specifically say that Dave could have resisted the jab as he has money in the bank. But you chose to ignore that and pick out one tiny quote re pay cheques - ignoring the context of the paragraph that came before.

I think you’re alright. I don’t understand what you’re up to. If you disagree with me, that’s fine. But why take my words out of context like that? Disagree with what I’m saying, not with a few words lifted without the context of the whole paragraph that came before.

I increasingly wonder what the point is these days. I really do.

Investing in metals is an incredibly poor choice… right up until it’s not. Many of us that have bought metals, expect to use the metals as a retainer of wealth. Go back as many years as you want, look at investing in the stock market. In most every evaluation, the market has has out performed the metals. But, as Chris has pointed out several times, the “market” doesn’t have true price discovery. Someday, we should finally find pure price discovery, and when that happens… who know’s what will really happen… or if it will really happen.

1 Like

I started buying in, I think, 2003 – maybe it was 2002. I didn’t regard it as an “investment”, and I still don’t. I have a classic definition of investment vs. speculation: an investment MUST pay on-going dividends, so its “value” is the net present value of the stream of returns. Notice that few stocks pay dividends; only the stocks which pay dividends are actually investments. What are things which don’t pay dividends?

Well, those which are built upon “hope” that “they will go up”, including nearly all stonks, are gambles…or “speculations” if you prefer.

But some few things: metals, non-cash flowing land, water rights, long-term rarities of various sorts, don’t need much faith – because they have multiple generations (actually thousands of years in many cases) of at least holding value, inflation adjusted – and value surviving complete regime change and civilizational collapse.

I call these things – metals among them – perpetual INSURANCE. You buy them once, you don’t sell them, if ever, until you are SURE you don’t need any insurance any longer.

One thing which is a perpetual INSURANCE and is on almost nobody’s radar, and even fewer peoples’ holdings, is a 2nd citizenship or permanent residency in a foreign country. Some few of them are an incredible value right now; the value being mostly found in the quality and stability of the existing society against things like war, drought, energy, natural resources and – arguably most important – self sufficiency in food (calories). Canada DID rank pretty high in this regard, as did a number of other countries, but they revealed their fangs during Covid lockdowns.

I think – actually I’m sure – there are some other things, though, which I am missing or at least not fully stocked up on. One of them is education in practical skills, like electrician, farmer, etc. Another is community. Another is entelechy.