Decoding The Japanese Carry Trade Tsunami

Originally published at: https://peakprosperity.com/decoding-the-japanese-carry-trade-tsunami/

The “markets” are busy shaking themselves apart on the one hand and being propped up and rescued by central banks on the other. Which force will prove to be greater over the next few months?

The answer lies in understanding that the stock sell-offs we see are caused by the underlying stresses, not the cause of the volatility.

Now is when having a risk-managed portfolio strategy is most important. People are going to be panicking into and out of positions based on what they are seeing and experiencing, but history shows that’s a great way for the average investor to wind up on the wrong end of the trades.

Peak Prosperity endorses and promotes Kiker Wealth Management’s financial services. To arrange a completely free, no-obligation discussion of your personal financial circumstances and goals with someone who speaks your language and thoroughly shares your outlook on the world, please click this link to go to Peak Financial Investing to begin the process.

FINANCIAL DISCLAIMER. PEAK PROSPERITY, LLC, AND PEAK FINANCIAL INVESTING ARE NOT ENGAGED IN RENDERING LEGAL, TAX, OR FINANCIAL ADVICE OR SERVICES VIA THIS WEBSITE. NEITHER PEAK PROSPERITY, LLC NOR PEAK FINANCIAL INVESTING ARE FINANCIAL PLANNERS, BROKERS, OR TAX ADVISORS. Their websites are intended only to assist you in your financial education. Your personal financial situation is unique, and any information and advice obtained through this website may not be appropriate for your situation. Accordingly, before making any final decisions or implementing any financial strategy, you should consider obtaining additional information and advice from your accountant or other financial advisers who are fully aware of your individual circumstances.

12 Likes

Topic to consider at conference. ADVOCACY FOR RURAL VALUES
Introduced as an anecdote from my own situation.

-I live in an Ag zoned neighborhood on Big Island.

-My next door neighbors are ethnically Hawaiian/Portuguese. They raise dogs and hunt feral pig.

-I raise chickens and and sheep AND FOLLOW THE STOCK MARKET.

-We barter eggs for pork products. Also, my neighbors will butcher lamb for 1/2 yield. It’s a cozy, no cash exchange. We each have one acre.

-Fortunately, my neighbors have no mortgage.

-However, lot prices have increased (i bought in 2021 at $400k and now across the lane, exact lot is at $875k)

-At 4 am every morning 20 hounds and 5 roosters start the day!

Question: What happens when retiree willing to pay $875 for rural acre agitates at the HOA claiming roosters and hounds have no place in his/her lifestyle?

There once was an “esquire” class that understood the rights of small landowners. How can the spirit of Country Lawyer be mobilized against DAVOS and dipsticks everywhere?

11 Likes

Naturally I don’t know your exact situation and location, but some quick thoughts:

1. For now the Ag zoning classification would appear to protect you and your neighbors’ lifestyles. For the putative Davos dipstick to change that would require a significant change of local use and some commensurate political sway.
  2. The outsider who comes in making noise about “rules and regulations” will probably find him or herself quickly alienated from the more settled neighbors and losing more than they can gain, esp. in more straitened times. Few will answer calls for help during an emergency.
  3. A nuisance outsider who makes enemies may find an unusual number of nails and sharp objects in the driveway, broken fences, knocked over mailboxes, missing pets, and other strange doings. And if neighbors are asked anything about it, no one will have seen or heard anything.
  4. The more rural you are right now, perhaps the better. The less attractive it is for new 2-million dollar homes, assuredly the better. The more integrated you become with your longterm neighbors, definitely the better.
  5. In the event of a serious collapse and gov’t dysfunction, you will not have to worry about the Davos crew calling the municipal inspector, because no one will be at the local office to pick up the phone. Phone might not even ring. As Gustave Le Bon noted in 1895, bureaucracy requires enormous energy and in a crunch there won’t be a whole lot of that to waste on nonsense.
  6. Good luck on the Big Island. Beautiful place. Hard to top snorkeling with giant rays.
6 Likes

Thanks, Truman! What a great community.

1 Like

Thursday - S&P up over 2% after better than expected jobless data!
Phew! Nothing to see here, move along. Buy, buy, buy! As @cmartenson (and others) predicted, the market bounced back.

A couple days ago I saw a mention of Yen Carry Trade but now just stuff on jobless claims and soft landings. Wondering Chris whether there might be shenanigans in jobless claims #s? Or maybe the entire economy is so comforted by the thought of Kamala’s reassuring, steady hand on the tiller that storms instantly subside and fair winds blow.

Anxious to see you and Paul next Wednesday (on Thursday). T

2 Likes

ʻAʻole pilikia.

My pleasure, all the best.

1 Like
7 Likes

I keep it in my hot little hands.

7 Likes

Nicest thing I’ve read today.

Our pastor did a lecture on “Biblical Worldview of Economics” this week and recommended parishioners diversify some of their assets into “biblical wealth” (i.e., hard assets and precious metals). He stressed the importance of being able to PHYSICALLY hold your wealth.

Editing and posting his “Biblical Worldview” lectures tends to lag about a month, but once this particular lecture lands, you’ll be able to find it HERE, along with past lectures he did about business, the law, and other important topics. Definitely NOT woke Christianity.

3 Likes

Like Paul, I am also super stoked to be doing the Bayesian Experiment. I was thinking, Chris, could you post the questions, so we can be prepared for them? Will we have some time to think about our answers? Maybe we should be meditating on where we think things are going? Or maybe when we make quicker decisions, the frontal lobes don’t interfere as much with intuitive knowing? I guess maybe the middle ground of not over-thinking would be best. Just some thoughts for you guys to throw around:)

2 Likes

ouch! major local landmark commercial building

87% decline in value from 2019!

6 Likes

Exactly why I went to the office of the Bullion dealer I chose. Saw the real thing and I collect it myself.

2 Likes

Don’t over think it, let the answers come naturally.

2 Likes