Finance U: Why Everyone Needs A Plan Right Now

Originally published at: https://peakprosperity.com/finance-u-why-everyone-needs-a-plan-right-now/

We’re at one of those weird moments in time. When everything has an odd flavor about it and our starting point is that everything from the government is a lie until proven otherwise.

Can we trust even the most basic of data anymore? If the BLS ‘fibs’ about the McJobs report each month, then why should we trust the EIA to give us accurate US oil production data?

Yet despite all this the world continues to revolve around the sun and we still have to make decisions about where and how to deploy our wealth and manage our portfolios.

In this week’s episode, Paul and I read the tea leaves to divine where things seem to be headed. While it’s likely there will be a major correction in the future, right now the signs are pointing strongly to a ‘reliquification’ event underway. M2 is growing again, the Yen-Quake has been squashed, and risk assets are merrily bounding up and to the right as they do when new liquidity is applied.

I also point out that ticket sales for this year’s Peak Prosperity Summit end on August 25th (so that our hosting facility can have a final headcount for food and linens and such). So if you been on the fence, or simply have been waiting, now’s the time to secure your ticket! Click Here For Tickets (and more info)

Tune in for our weekly romp!

6 Likes

Thank you for the discussion! Blending small farms and financial savvy plus a healthy dose of citizen advocacy and journalism. Brilliant. Also, was able to listen in to Evie today. What a beautiful soul.

:scorpius: :scorpius: :gemini:

2 Likes

This was an incredibly informative and encouraging discussion. Thank you Paul for your faith based investing and guidance. Relying on the One and not on yourself

I’m hoping to come to the summit and bring a dear friend who needs such wise advice as she ages and the times are so unstable.

Thank you for a great podcast!

5 Likes

Jeremy provides great insights on a lot of issues

A History of Stock Market Bubbles w/ Legend Investor Jeremy Grantham (TIP650) (youtube.com)

1 Like

We all understand that “money is the root of all evil”. Money is power and power is money. Money revolves around almost all wars,corruption, ect. Money should come from labour and land, or the way I like to say it, production.
Although I really enjoy the almost daily Podcasts and the book, I seem to sense this everlasting quest and discussions around investments and money. The necessity for funds to run a household, business or retirement is obvious. The creation of assets beyond reasonable borders is universally global. But I still see it as a sickness that has led us to where we are today. Strangely, as soon as things turn ugly we start to speak more of and turn to the Lord. If I remember correctly it was written in the bible that Jesus chased the money traders out of the holy temple.

1 Like

“The opposite of love isnt hate, the opposite of love is power.”

Marion Montgomery
“The Truth of Things, Liberal Arts and the Recovery of Humanity.”

1 Like

I don’t understand this. Perhaps the full quote I might understand… :wink:

But, to be less of a dick, I don’t think people on here are “money traders”. They have probably mainly earned money through work and simply want to use it to retire and/or for it to preserve its purchasing power. That’s ok, I think.

Otherwise, the “money traders” (and the like) use inflation to steal the work you put in to earn that money - thus rendering at least some of it pointless. For the worker, at least. That is what is immoral, using a complex system to steal your labour and your hopes and dreams.

3 Likes

Reply to Resilience Rob, “use it to retire and/or for it to preserve its purchasing power”

Points well taken. However, my comments call for some rather lengthy clarifications.

When I retired some thirty years ago the disconnect between GDP and newly created fiat currencies was already apparent. After selling my practice and medical building, without much knowledge of economics at that time, I invested in gold. I started studying economics after I lost a considerable sum in the tech bubble. In 2006 there was a very expensive report written by a renowned and astute economist for his clients. In that report Mr. Schultz told his clients in italics, “It is the derivative market you Idiots”. He went on to state that there was 620-640 trillion of bets in that market that were leveraged around 30 times. He further declared that most if not all banks were technically insolvent. I called the head of a central bank whom I knew for some clarification. He had an anonymous person call me who listed 50 of the worlds largest banks with whom this country had to restrict any larger transactions due to the liabilities of their balance sheets.

Today we have an estimated Quad trillion (add 15 zeros to the above figure) bets that are leveraged by one hundred to several hundred times. Now factor in the enormous debt/income, PE ratios, stock buy backs etc of large corporations, escalation of wars, climate change, massive corruption at every level of business and government, ever increasing civil unrest, absolute control of information in the West, and on and on.

I believe though that the financial crisis is the ticking time bomb. For over a decade economists have been using the phrase, “We know the price of every thing, but the value of nothing”. We often elude to the economy as being an upside down pyramid of DEBT. The system can only exist in its very nature by ever increasing the base of the pyramid with debt and in the very tiny upside down tip of the pyramid are the assets.

So we seem to understand the crisis and we pretend that taking rapidly decreasing PPP values of worthless currency notes and placing them in the total illusionary Ponzi scheme of investments is going to secure our future. I mentioned briefly the above to point out that every business, healthy or unhealthy, is connected, directly and indirectly, when the system collapses. There is general consensus amongst the experts that a collapse most likely will be so sudden and traumatic. It has been made clear to the “tribe” that we are in an ever increasing crisis. My humble opinion, is that it is time to turn down the fear knobs And concentrate on constructive preparations in detail and first directed at those of average means.

How to collect and store water, how to purify water, how to use a given quantity of water for multiple uses, what Antibiotics and other medications to store and for which ailments, what vegetables have the most nutrition, how to save the seeds, how to nourish the garden soil with home made compost, becoming energy independent, usage of 20 year dry batteries or lithium batteries, should one have a home wood burner to heat and cook with and what size, how much firewood to store, how to bind with a small community and share responsibility and security of every sort. These and hundreds of others are often complex issues and deserve in detail discussions. For those fortunate with more resources topics of which foreign passports to own or where to store gold might be of interest. The other point being made here is that it not only takes time and knowledge to become independent and more secure but also a lot of resources that also tend to play in the future much more important roles and even offer immediate financial dividends.

5 Likes

This is a thoughtful post - i thought Chris said a few months ago that he was going to start focusing more on preparations in his videos.

Some random thoughts as i become more convinced i have no idea what if any fiat based investments will survive and focus more and more on means of production food/water/security/medical/energy hard assets
A thought just occurred to me.
What about video panels with tribe members on various topics or interviews on What and how are we getting ready Across spectrum of ages and financial means??
If one listens intently to Chris/paul we can pull some of the prepping ideas out of their fun banter.

Or how about if we all apply more to participating in the community “chat” channels asking questions and giving responses

There is so much talent in this tribe and if we decide to help each other we will streghten our preps even faster.

Noone is coming to save you - get ready
Action Action Action

3 Likes

Technically, it’s written that “ the LOVE of money is the root of all evil”
Money itself isn’t the evil.
yes Jesus drove the money changers out of the temple, those that were bought and sold there. The temple was Gods house ( his church)and people were using it to set up shop. Nothing wrong with buying and selling , however it doesn’t belong in the Lords house. Imagine if you went to church and the local car salesman , and an insurance company set up tables there. Not cool .

That being said , it is a weird balance , thinking that shit is going to hit the fan , and preparing for the worst case scenario ( food, garden,heating your house,ETC) and yet trying to preserve your wealth , and even profit , if things don’t go belly up in the near future .
Because this waiting for sthtf is getting rather tedious!!
H

2 Likes

So much here, and myself a person of simple means and no assets to speak of, unfortunately.
Land would be wonderful and a chance to have a life for which I have cultivated many, many practical skills, basic blacksmithing, animal husbandry, hugell culture, medicinal herbs, etc, etc.
I was always put off by money. I always said it didn’t matter to me, because people and their character was what was most important to me.
And though this is still true, now I find myself at a great deficit because I abhorred the accruing of wealth. I was following a model of “money is the root of all evil” when in fact, yes, it is the LOVE of money.
Great thread. Thanks for the banter.

1 Like

There is inexpensive land available at county tax lien sales, please investigate as it is a way to purchase land very inexpensively.

1 Like

Derivatives are hard to explain to someone when you don’t fully understand them yourself (e.g., me). A few months ago, I was trying to explain the situation to my wife, but I couldn’t coherently explain it, and it just confused her.

A little while later, this popped up, and I had her watch it. Now she understands it a little better.

He does break it down pretty well.

https://x.com/Cancelcloco/status/1790524969623175629

There is a much more simple way to explain the perils of the derivative market. First of all the vast majority of derivatives are called “over the counter” derivatives, which means that they ARE NOT RECORDED. They can involve any bet. It is going to rain tomorrow and the counter party bets that it will not. The two bet a hundred dollars and draw up a contract. Then they sell the contract for a thousand dollars to another party. That bet or derivative had now been leverage x 1. The problem is the collateral
Backing up these derivatives. I recently questioned a friend of mine who is in the business of advising banks as to which derivatives to purchase. He told me that the major collateral comes from the counter party selling the derivative. I stoped him and laughed. During the 2008 crash the actual housing loss was 360 billion, but because of the derivative market the entire world stepped in an managed to stop the derivative hemorrhage at 11.9 trillion. Then the leverage was about 30. It was calculated that it would take a professional team of 30 people 30 days to unwind a derivative then. Today the derivatives are levered one to several hundred times. In my mind it does not matter so much as to the exact nature of the bet but rather to look at the total amount of “declared” bets vs the total amount of assets the major banks have. This info can be found in “THE WALL STREET PARADE”. Check out the “BANK RESOLUTION ACT” signed by the G20 and ask yourself why this act was drawn up decades ago?