Five Reasons to Consider Acupuncture

Oh come on.  It’s not JUST that the topic is a controversial and emotive subject for some, but the degree of it also matters too… to imply that acupuncture elicits the same degree of controversy and emotive response in the average person or general public as climate change is quite silly.  Also, another factor it appears is past experience and whether the forums experience repeated trouble discussing a given subject without devolving to angry rants and flames.  The forum guidelines specifically refer to unfortunate prior forum experiences as the reason for making some topics limited or off-limits.  Of course on that basis, it’s always possible that acupuncture can be given the same treatment if enough conflict and strife arises from the discussion here.  I don’t have any stake in the subject, but I hope it doesn’t happen because that means the forum community as a whole has failed.
Ultimately it’s the host’s decision, accept it or move on.  The topic of firearms has also been limited to one thread as well, but you hardly ever see us firearm enthusiasts complaining about it. 

• Nick

[quote=ao]Regarding your claim for very limited efficacy of nutritional supplements and the two books you cite, I haven’t read the books but it does not appear that either one is written about the subject of nutritional supplements.  What is "lots of medical research" because authors from Alan Gaby to Gary Null have written books SPECIFICALLY about this subject and cite THOUSANDS of peer reviewed studies supporting nutritional supplementation.  My guess is your authors can cite no more than a handful at most.  Alan Gaby is an MD and Gary Null is a PhD.  I’ve heard Gary Null debate various MDs on the issue and, quite frankly, he made them look like idiots in their lack of familiarity with the full scope of the research out there.  Nutritional supplements are obviously no substitute for top quality food but that’s not the issue here.  That’s what they’re called SUPPLEMENTS.[/quote]The books are not specifically about nutritional supplements but do cover them. Both reference research extensively though I haven’t checked for nutritional supplements (mainly vitamins and minerals) though the first definitely does. You’re right that supplements are no substitute for the right foods and, in some cases, they may be needed in the short term but once the diet is sorted out, there should be no need for them (after all, we didn’t evolve needing supplements).Tony

[quote=nickbert]Oh come on.  It’s not JUST that the topic is a controversial and emotive subject for some, but the degree of it also matters too… to imply that acupuncture elicits the same degree of controversy and emotive response in the average person or general public as climate change is quite silly.  Also, another factor it appears is past experience and whether the forums experience repeated trouble discussing a given subject without devolving to angry rants and flames.  The forum guidelines specifically refer to unfortunate prior forum experiences as the reason for making some topics limited or off-limits.  Of course on that basis, it’s always possible that acupuncture can be given the same treatment if enough conflict and strife arises from the discussion here.  I don’t have any stake in the subject, but I hope it doesn’t happen because that means the forum community as a whole has failed.Ultimately it’s the host’s decision, accept it or move on.  The topic of firearms has also been limited to one thread as well, but you hardly ever see us firearm enthusiasts complaining about it.[/quote]I think climate change is qualitatively differrent from firearms and, yes, from acupuncture. It is one aspect, and a big one, of our predicament but it is not being covered except in shady corners of the site (and being covered quite well, at the moment). The only reason I compared it to this thread was that the opening comment made me realise that controversial and emotive subjects do get covered, but, for some reason, not climate change. I’ve popped into the site quite often for years and don’t recall climate change ever being covered in a mainstream way, so I don’t think your hypothesis works, unless I’m mistaken about coverage.
Of course it’s Chris’s site and he can do what he wants; I’m pretty sure I’ve said that before. But that doesn’t stop people making suggestions.
Dogs_In_A_Pile’s joke was very funny, except that I’m not whining; just pointing out a discrepancy.
Tony

Well, that was quite a response for such a small comment. I must say, it was a little fun:)
Okay guys, I said I was very dissapointed, not disgusted, lived, mad as hell, or even angry. Just very dissapointed. I’ll admit  that some of the evidence on acupuncture’s effectivness is mixed and inconclusive in some aspects but until you can prove "energy fields" and specify exactly what kind of energy it is, then you may as well call it magic. As for homeopathy, there is zero evidence that it is nothing but water. The claim is that the more diluted the substance is, the more powerful it is. I would invite anyone to go down to your local homeopath retailer, buy several bottles of homepathic sleeping pills and try your best to overdose. You’ll be waiting a long time because it won’t happen, because it’s water. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCYvOgBaEY8&feature=player_embedded

Here are the facts about homeopathy:

• No Ingredients: Homeopathic remedies are so extremely dilute that most do not contain a single atom of their claimed active ingredient. The most popular homeopathic remedy, oscillococcinum, is based on a dilution of one part duck liver to 10^400 parts of water. 10^400 is the number 1 with 400 zeroes after it. To make such a dilution, you’d have to mix a single molecule of duck liver with more matter than exists in the entire known universe.  
  • No Testing: Homeopathic remedies are exempted from regulations requiring drugs to prove they’re effective and accurately labeled with respect to dosage and potency. What’s more, homeopathic remedies were never even tested by their inventors to make sure they work. Homeopathic remedies are invented by a process homeopaths call “proving”: they give a substance to a healthy person, observe the symptoms it causes, and then take it on faith that homeopathic doses of the same substance will cure those symptoms. For example, coffee causes sleeplessness—that’s all homeopaths need to know in order to prescribe homeopathically-diluted coffee as sleeping pills, called “coffea cruda.” According to homeopathic principles, there’s no need to test whether it actually helps anyone sleep.  
  • No Facts: Major pharmacy chains like CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid sell useless homeopathic products right alongside real medicine, with no warning to consumers. Manufacturers and retailers profit by denying customers the facts they need to make up their minds. U.S. law exempts homeopathy from certain rules that govern drugs and nutritional supplements, so manufacturers can market homeopathic remedies for the treatment of illnesses despite the fact that reputable studies show homeopathy to work no better than dummy pills made of plain sugar.
  • Okay, I'm done. Have a good Friday and hope your weather is good:)

Titus,Thanks for taking the time to share on the site, and congrats on completing your novel!
I agree that Economy, Environment and Energy are important considerations. No surprise there as they are the Three "E"s of the Crash Course. For Experience (compassion) however, my personal preference would be for a disgruntled medical school grad over a kindly accountant-turned-acupuncturist. Maybe I’m just fortunate that I haven’t had to spend more than a few minutes with any particular doctor. None of these reasons are important, though, unless the medical treatment works. I’m similarly skeptical as Josey and sofistek. (Like sofistek, I also thought of climate change as soon as I saw the title.) Acupuncture, at best, seems like an elaborate way to induce a placebo effect. You nearly admit as much when you say:

[quote=Titus]
In my research, I found that many of the studies reporting that acupuncture was no better than "sham" acupuncture also reported that both were better than doing nothing. [/quote]
In a SHTF scenario, I doubt we’re going to be too concerned about sore elbows and knees, or fertility(!), or even hypertension. We’ll be dealing with infections, and broken bones and maybe even bullet wounds. I think alcohol would be more helpful than needles. Speaking of which, can we get a "What Should I Do?" on Home Brewing?

[quote=Josey]
Well, that was quite a response for such a small comment. I must say, it was a little fun:)
Okay guys, I said I was very dissapointed, not disgusted, lived, mad as hell, or even angry. Just very dissapointed. I’ll admit  that some of the evidence on acupuncture’s effectivness is mixed and inconclusive in some aspects but until you can prove "energy fields" and specify exactly what kind of energy it is, then you may as well call it magic. As for homeopathy, there is zero evidence that it is nothing but water. The claim is that the more diluted the substance is, the more powerful it is. I would invite anyone to go down to your local homeopath retailer, buy several bottles of homepathic sleeping pills and try your best to overdose. You’ll be waiting a long time because it won’t happen, because it’s water. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCYvOgBaEY8&feature=player_embedded
No Ingredients: Homeopathic remedies are so extremely dilute that most do not contain a single atom of their claimed active ingredient. The most popular homeopathic remedy, oscillococcinum, is based on a dilution of one part duck liver to 10^400 parts of water. 10^400 is the number 1 with 400 zeroes after it. To make such a dilution, you’d have to mix a single molecule of duck liver with more matter than exists in the entire known universe.

No Testing: Homeopathic remedies are exempted from regulations requiring drugs to prove they’re effective and accurately labeled with respect to dosage and potency. What’s more, homeopathic remedies were never even tested by their inventors to make sure they work. Homeopathic remedies are invented by a process homeopaths call “proving”: they give a substance to a healthy person, observe the symptoms it causes, and then take it on faith that homeopathic doses of the same substance will cure those symptoms. For example, coffee causes sleeplessness—that’s all homeopaths need to know in order to prescribe homeopathically-diluted coffee as sleeping pills, called “coffea cruda.” According to homeopathic principles, there’s no need to test whether it actually helps anyone sleep.

No Facts: Major pharmacy chains like CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid sell useless homeopathic products right alongside real medicine, with no warning to consumers. Manufacturers and retailers profit by denying customers the facts they need to make up their minds. U.S. law exempts homeopathy from certain rules that govern drugs and nutritional supplements, so manufacturers can market homeopathic remedies for the treatment of illnesses despite the fact that reputable studies show homeopathy to work no better than dummy pills made of plain sugar.
Okay, I’m done. Have a good Friday and hope your weather is good:)
[/quote]

Until recently I didn’t comprehend the meaning of what Hawkings wrote.  I get it now.  You might want to give it some careful consideration my friend.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.”~Stephen Hawkings
I flew between 250,000 and 500,000 passengers based on scientifically proven facts of aerodynamics---that I later learned were bogus, and were taught to us because they “sounded good.” As of 2006 this country turned out 41,625 PhD’s in economics---of which probably 1 was bright enough to realize the $hit he had been taught was as accurate as Bernoulli’s Law and as a result retrained himself in Austrian Economics and caught the biggest bubble in history. There is something I discovered, it is yet uncovered, it is called “Scholarly Economic Capture.”  It exists in every field.  You base your merits on “Testing & Facts”. "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lHvTKzfu8Q&feature=player_embedded" We have no idea what life is.  We have no idea what 99% of our brain does.  We have NO idea what science is or isn't biased. And before you go talking about papers, and facts you might want to watch that video on Scholarly Economic Capture.  If you think the pharma field is more legit then the economics field you might want to ask CM his impression, last I recall, he was in both. I would take facts and testing and give them a lot less value than thousands of years of trial and error. These days---QUITE OFTEN---the facts are scewed by psychopaths who can write $124,000 checks.

[quote=Josey]Well, that was quite a response for such a small comment. I must say, it was a little fun:)
No Ingredients: Homeopathic remedies are so extremely dilute that most do not contain a single atom of their claimed active ingredient. The most popular homeopathic remedy, oscillococcinum, is based on a dilution of one part duck liver to 10^400 parts of water. 10^400 is the number 1 with 400 zeroes after it. To make such a dilution, you’d have to mix a single molecule of duck liver with more matter than exists in the entire known universe.

No Testing: Homeopathic remedies are exempted from regulations requiring drugs to prove they’re effective and accurately labeled with respect to dosage and potency. What’s more, homeopathic remedies were never even tested by their inventors to make sure they work. Homeopathic remedies are invented by a process homeopaths call “proving”: they give a substance to a healthy person, observe the symptoms it causes, and then take it on faith that homeopathic doses of the same substance will cure those symptoms. For example, coffee causes sleeplessness—that’s all homeopaths need to know in order to prescribe homeopathically-diluted coffee as sleeping pills, called “coffea cruda.” According to homeopathic principles, there’s no need to test whether it actually helps anyone sleep.

No Facts: Major pharmacy chains like CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid sell useless homeopathic products right alongside real medicine, with no warning to consumers. Manufacturers and retailers profit by denying customers the facts they need to make up their minds. U.S. law exempts homeopathy from certain rules that govern drugs and nutritional supplements, so manufacturers can market homeopathic remedies for the treatment of illnesses despite the fact that reputable studies show homeopathy to work no better than dummy pills made of plain sugar.
Okay, I’m done. Have a good Friday and hope your weather is good:)
[/quote]
Ever hear of an EEG, EKG, EMG, etc?  Ever measure galvanic skin resistance?  Ever see correlations with accupuncture points?  Every wonder how certain fishes like sharks use electrolocation?  Every wonder about an explanation for objectively verifiable out-of-the-body experiences?  Ever really study accupuncture in depth?. 
Every consider the possibility of parallels to the concept of vacuum energy.  Ever really study homeopathy in depth?
Nope, didn’t think so.
These statements remind me of the 1930s high school physics textbook that I have, that with great solemnity and authority states uncategorically that it is impossible to split an atom. 
As I said … don’t know dip.

[quote=sofistek][quote=ao]Regarding your claim for very limited efficacy of nutritional supplements and the two books you cite, I haven’t read the books but it does not appear that either one is written about the subject of nutritional supplements.  What is "lots of medical research" because authors from Alan Gaby to Gary Null have written books SPECIFICALLY about this subject and cite THOUSANDS of peer reviewed studies supporting nutritional supplementation.  My guess is your authors can cite no more than a handful at most.  Alan Gaby is an MD and Gary Null is a PhD.  I’ve heard Gary Null debate various MDs on the issue and, quite frankly, he made them look like idiots in their lack of familiarity with the full scope of the research out there.  Nutritional supplements are obviously no substitute for top quality food but that’s not the issue here.  That’s what they’re called SUPPLEMENTS.[/quote]The books are not specifically about nutritional supplements but do cover them. Both reference research extensively though I haven’t checked for nutritional supplements (mainly vitamins and minerals) though the first definitely does. You’re right that supplements are no substitute for the right foods and, in some cases, they may be needed in the short term but once the diet is sorted out, there should be no need for them (after all, we didn’t evolve needing supplements).
Tony
[/quote]
What does "reference research extensively" mean?  If they truly reference extensively, they wouldn’t make those claims.  They reference a handful of cherry picked, poorly done studies.  I’m talking THOUSANDS of references that prove what I’m stating. 
Theoretically, there should be no need for supplements, in an ideal world.  Just like there shouldn’t be a need for police or military in an ideal world.  The only problem is, we don’t live in an ideal world.
You didn’t evolve eating genetically modified foods grown on land that grows the same crops again and again with acid rain leached soils  depleted of microflora that enhance plant absorption of minerals using chemical growth accelerants and treated with pesticides and herbicides.  You also didn’t evolve eating packaged, canned, bottled, frozen, refined, and processed foods.  All those factors and more affect your nutritional requirements.
But I guess you’re healthy so you don’t have to worry about it anyway.  I’ll continue to take my supplements and eat well and exercise so I have the energy to work 60 hour weeks, never get colds or flus, never miss work or play due to sickness, can keep up physically and more with folks half my age, and not need any medication.  YMMV.
P.S. While your ancestors may have evolved, mine were created.:wink:

I’m all ears. Please go on.

I’m all ears. Please go on.

Ok here’s my two cents:

To start off with, I’ll let you know that I am a physician (urologist).  Here are a few of my thoughts

1.  Best medicine ever created: Placebo.   I have literally read hundreds of medical journal articles.  It never ceases to amaze me what that Placebo medication can do.  Can be used to help in nearly every disease process.

2. Most important modern medicine invention ever:  IV fluids.  Saves lives left and right, day and night.  And no one seems to show any appreciation for this wonderful invention.  IV fluids can be used to prevent death in many situations: sepsis, hemorrhage, dehydration, cardiac failure, etc.  My suggestion: at least learn how to start an IV and stock up on needles, IV tubing, and saline.  When TSHTF, infectious diseases, particularly the various forms of gastroenteritis will be a major problem.  Being able to administer IV fluids  will be the most important life saving measure.  My recommendation:  DO NOT TRY ACUPUNCTURE to cure a secretory diarrhea.

3.  My theory on the potential benefit to  acupuncture:  #1 The TLC.  I do recall one study (my apologies, i dont have the reference) of chronic back pain using acupuncture versus sham (acupuncture with toothpicks).  No difference in results, however, both groups showed improvement compared to pretreatment status.  This may underscore an important point however.  Human beings respond to human touch and being cared for.  This is often lacking within western medicine, within the average american family and within our society.  #2.  there may be a neuromodulatory effect from acupuncture working through sensory nerves.  These benefits have been seen in a variety of nerve stimulators, and seems plausible that acupuncture could work through a similar mechanism

4.  If you feel that acupuncture works for you, then do it.   Although i have not read the literature, I believe there could be many applications.  However, be reasonable in your expectations.  And of course, explore other forms of alternative non pertoleum based medicine.  it may be the only thing we’ve got in the not too distant future.

5.  Don’t be naive to think that going the "natural" way is always good for your own well being.   Our bodies do self destruct eventually.  this is the natural way.  we all have to die someday.   Let’s think about it.  a herd is not very healthy if it has too many elderly and feeble individuals.  It is actually better for the herd for those individuals to die off so they do not continue to drain too many resources.  I seen this in urology very frequently.  As men get older, their prostates get a little too large.  Eventually this leads to bladder outlet obstruction, which eventually may lead to urinary retention, which can lead to renal failure and death.  Now the "evil" doctor will use an "evil" medication produced by the "evil big pharma" to reverse this process.  Doing things the natural and perhaps intended way will lead to death.

Brian

[quote=Stoicsmile]We’ll be dealing with infections, and broken bones and maybe even bullet wounds.
[/quote]
In ancient Asia, who used accupuncture, moxibustion, and related aspects of Oriental medicine more than anyone?  Warriors injured or wounded in combat.  Many Asian martial arts traditions teach healing arts ranging from accupuncture to qi gong right alongside the combative arts.  The two are complementary.  Striking certain acupuncture points and meridians can amplify the effect of a blow.  Treating other accupuncture points allows more rapid recovery from a blow.   
Also, did anyone say the use of accupuncture PRECLUDES the use of Western medicine?  Anyone with intelligence would use them complementarily and appropiately.  Western medicine shines when applied to acute problems but often tends to fall short when applied to certain chronic problems whereas complementary medicine often shines under the opposite circumstances.  That’s why integrative medicine is becoming so popular.
BTW, regarding broken bones, I observed someone in a judo class sustain a fractured tibia from a sweep.  The Japanese judomaster (also trained in Oriental medicine) set the fracture, applied a bamboo splint, a bone healing poultice, and did some accupuncture.  The person was full weightbearing in 2 weeks and returned to practice in 3 weeks.  With Western medicine, they would have been in a cast for 6 weeks. 
You don’t know what you don’t know.

[quote=ao]What does "reference research extensively" mean?  If they truly reference extensively, they wouldn’t make those claims.  They reference a handful of cherry picked, poorly done studies.[/quote]But you said you’d never read those books. Have you just skimmed through them or something? By reference research extensively, I mean the books are littered with such references.[quote=ao]Theoretically, there should be no need for supplements, in an ideal world.[/quote]It doesn’t need to be an ideal world. Humans need certain nutrition to live and they have always gotten it from natural foods, until recently. They can get it from natural foods again though, in some cases, supplementation may be necessary for a while.

[quote=ao]But I guess you’re healthy so you don’t have to worry about it anyway.[/quote]Not so. Yes, I’m reasonably healthy, though a long way from perfect. I abused my body for 50-odd years with all sorts of foods that are essentially toxic (though mildly). I think that’s had an impact and I’ve recently changed my diet, as much as I can, to eat more natural foods. So far, there are noticeable impacts, none of them bad, though I think I’ll have to keep it up for a year to make that judgement.

Brian,
Excellent commentary! Thank so much. I didn’t realize how important IV fluids could be until my mother’s recent trip to the emergency room. Seemed like the most important thing they did was to hook her up to an IV right away.

I downplayed (or even mocked) the importance of TLC in my post but I agree that it can have a positive effect on people - probably more than I realize.

The unfortunate paradox of placebos is that they are only effective if we are being deceived about their efficacy - either by others or by ourselves.

[quote=sofistek][quote=ao]What does "reference research extensively" mean?  If they truly reference extensively, they wouldn’t make those claims.  They reference a handful of cherry picked, poorly done studies.[/quote]But you said you’d never read those books. Have you just skimmed through them or something? By reference research extensively, I mean the books are littered with such references.

[quote=ao]Theoretically, there should be no need for supplements, in an ideal world.[/quote]It doesn’t need to be an ideal world. Humans need certain nutrition to live and they have always gotten it from natural foods, until recently. They can get it from natural foods again though, in some cases, supplementation may be necessary for a while.

[quote=ao]But I guess you’re healthy so you don’t have to worry about it anyway.[/quote]Not so. Yes, I’m reasonably healthy, though a long way from perfect. I abused my body for 50-odd years with all sorts of foods that are essentially toxic (though mildly). I think that’s had an impact and I’ve recently changed my diet, as much as I can, to eat more natural foods. So far, there are noticeable impacts, none of them bad, though I think I’ll have to keep it up for a year to make that judgement.
[/quote]
In reviewing the bibliography of Deep Nutrition, one of the books you are citing, she has 397 references.  Some are simply from "opinion" books and articles, some are about genetics,  some are about anthropology, some are about exercise, some are about body types, some are about general health, some are about general nutrition, and some are about supplements.  Many of the ones about supplements are the standard cherry picked references of poorly designed, poorly executed, faulty, distorted, or pharmaceutically influenced studies of the anti-supplement establishment.  The books I’m discussing have THOUSANDS of peer reviewed references about nutritional supplementation.  They overwhelm the book you cite in their information, accuracy, and thoroughness.  For Pete’s sake, Deep Nutrition is a book where the author cites the toughness of the appearance of  Geronimo as an example of his good nutrition!!!  Did you ever read such nonsense in your life!!!  I can show her dozens of tough looking thugs in Detroit whose nutrition amounts to slurping from a toxic waste dump. 
When you’re talking about natural foods, are you talking about the natural foods that for thousands and thousands of years allowed people to have scurvy, beriberi, pellagra, rickets, etc., to have lowered immune system health where they caught Bubonic plague and Spanish influenza, to slowly die off from malnutrition, etc?  Natural foods are excellent and preferred but one has to have intuitive, tacit, and/or obtained knowledge about what one is eating, where it comes from, when and how to harvest it, how to prepare it, how much of it is safe to eat, what to combine it with, etc.  And I’ve given you reasons why, for most people, they’re simply not enough in the modern world but you selectively chose to ignore that information.
I am curious as to why you think that if you or your parents weren’t knowledgeable enough to eat and care for your body correctly in the past, you suddenly, on the basis of reading a couple of books, have the expertise and authority to be so sure about what you are saying?
We’ve had discussions in the past about such things as financial and investment issues and I was stunned at some of the poor choices you made, given that you seem like a reasonably intelligent person.  Unfortunately, you seem to be as mistaken in your knowledge and understanding of the full scope of nutrition as you were about money issues.  If you derive pleasure from stubbornly clinging to opinions and beliefs that you’ve adopted despite their erroneous nature, that’s your choice and I don’t want to deprive you of that but I’m personally not interested in carrying this discussion any further on my part since I think the cause is fruitless.

[quote=Davos]Until recently I didn’t comprehend the meaning of what Hawkings wrote.  I get it now.  You might want to give it some careful consideration my friend.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.”~Stephen Hawkings
[/quote] [quote=ao] You don't know what you don't know. [/quote] I see your Hawking (not Hawkings - note the irony), and your [paraphrase of Rumsfeld's "known knowns"(?)], and raise you: a Twain - "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” a Shaw - "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." a Thucydides - "Ignorance is bold and knowledge reserved." and another Twain - "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” Happy St. Patrick's Day all. Gonna go outside and play with my son.

[quote=Stoicsmile][quote=Davos]
Until recently I didn’t comprehend the meaning of what Hawkings wrote.  I get it now.  You might want to give it some careful consideration my friend.

[/quote] [quote=ao] You don't know what you don't know. [/quote] I see your Hawking (not Hawkings - note the irony), and your [paraphrase of Rumsfeld's "known knowns"(?)], and raise you: a Twain - "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” a Shaw - "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." a Thucydides - "Ignorance is bold and knowledge reserved." and another Twain - "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.” Happy St. Patrick's Day all. Gonna go outside and play with my son. [/quote]I so love English Majors---especially the ones with 8 years of education waiting tables.  Aside from that "little" hemorrhoid --- I otherwise enjoyed your post.

I have to agree with ao. 
Something I’ve learned only since moving to the country, embracing Permaculture, and growing our own food, is just how much there is to healthy food…  Australia, where I live, is blessed with some of the poorest soils in the world.  Our farmers grow things in it alright, but only by injecting shedloads of NPK, and rarely anything else.  Aussie soils are so micro nutrient poor, that the food grown here may keep you alive, but it won’t keep you healthy, no matter how "natural" it might be, especially after having been sprayed with god knows what…!
Our soils are Calcium, Magnesium, Iodine, Boron,  Manganese and Molybdenum deficient.  I’m sure I’ve left some out.  Some of those things you can overdose and die from, but are essential in minute amounts to keep your system working, keeping it capable of absorbing those things you eat so that they are actually beneficial.
The following are considered essential micronutrients: cobalt, copper, chromium, fluorine, iron, iodine, manganese, molybdenum, selenium and zinc.
On the other hand, nickel, tin, vanadium, silicon, boron have recently been found as important micronutrients, whereas aluminum, arsenic, barium, bismuth, bromine, cadmium, germanium, gold, lead, lithium, mercury, rubidium, silver, strontium, titanium and zirconium is all found in plant and animal tissue, yet their importance is still being determined.
To view detailed information on any specific element listed underneath, please click the appropriate hyperlink:

Boron

Chromium

Cobalt

Copper

Fluorine

Iodine

Iron

Manganese

Molybdenum

Selenium

Silicon

Zinc

[quote=Davos]

ROTFLMAO.  And to think, ya didn’t even have to drop the M bomb.:wink:

I tried very hard not to get involved in this "discussion", but as one of the few people in this community who is actually a trained and experienced acupuncturist, I felt obliged to preach what I have practiced.
In my real world experience, acupuncture is good for one thing, pain management. It doesn’t cure or fix any problem, it just temporarily interrupts the neurological expression of physical pain. 

Would this skill-set be useful in a situation where one did not have access to traditional healthcare? Absolutely.

Is this skill set something that a layman can learn from books? I have serious doubts.

Regarding homeopathy, I quit my certification course in homeopathy on the second day, when the instructor stated that the homepathic remedy is diluted to the point of containing no pharmacologically active molecules. As the son of a chemistry professor, I wasn’t equipped to suspend disbelief on that subject.

However, I have a colleague and good friend that is a very successful homeopath. His success has nothing to do with homeopathy, and everything to do with his remarkable personality. I call him Dr. Placebo because he is an expert in the application of the placebo-effect.

Best…Jeff