Focus On Making The Dream Happen

In other news, Mememonkey was spotted recently at a protest:

elevation? Rocky? Mid west? New England? Immediately start asparagus and rhubarb. Some Chestnuts as well. I have had some experience in Allegheny county,NY. I imagine you could grow most anything. Never had luck with okra, eggplant, or sweet potatoes. Season was too short. The best cabbage, best storing brassica, and Irish potatoes ever!
find some chestnuts this fall. Put them in a bucket of loose sand in your crawl space. Dump them out in May and plant, tube, and stake them. The best pasta I have ever had was made from chestnut flour. Yes, flour can be made from chestnuts and it is slitely sweet with a lite undertone of vanilla and nutmeg.

This is a great interview, an easy introduction to Chris and PP that I can share around my circle.
https://usawatchdog.com/steering-towards-a-cliff-edge-chris-martenson/#more-23672

Robie…I assume butternut falls in the nutritionally dense category…is that right? It is the easiest and most prolific crop that we grow. I just harvested about 300 lbs. off of 40 vines.

What I am harvesting now is magenta spreen lambsquarters and zuchinni just started being ready, and I harvested alot of potatoes last month that I am of course still eating. Onions are almost done. But, we had late freezes, and a fair amount of cold nights after, so no tomatoes, peppers ripe yet.

has similar nutritional profile to sweet potatoes. Both are also long keepers. Both will grow well in your area.

I would love to be able to grow olives. Also nuts trees. I am a chestnut fan as they are productive sooner than most and more consistent than most as well. You and OOG could also grow pecans. Swipe some first fall nuts from a neighbor and start your own. A cistern and a green house/ high tunnel would help with predation also shade clothe over either seasonally.

I can never harvest nuts, seriously, never, due to squirrels. I have chestnut and hazelnut trees and a large, wild black walnut, I get no nuts ( and the time or two I raced to get a few black walnuts, they were wormy, and that tree has a canopy the size of a suburban backyard, so it is not getting sprayed). I am going to plant a few chestnuts from my neighbors larger, eastern chestnut to wild areas and see what happens. I may start killing squirrels, chickens will eat anything

I have 2 arbequina olive trees, yes, you can grow olives here. But, it turns out the olives are very small because they are not irrigated, and they barely get ripe before the freeze comes, that was last year, the first year of enough olives to pick a jar full, we will see this year how they ripen. I was under the mistaken impression that they would yield without irrigation. Getting fats in some way is important.

So, were you meaning just perrenials when you mentioned nutrient dense crops ? The other perennials that do well with no irrigation and I can get my share are apple, pear, plum, persimmon, mulberry trees, grape vines, nopales cactus( the cactus is not what I would call nutrient dense) and the invasive himalayan blackberries.

I do not have the money or energy to cover my entire garden, sometimes I do places on it. I swear the crows know that my putting a cover on the bed means there is something good underneath, so they rip thru the floating row cover to get it ! This year, I was able to trick them a bit.

It is a challenge, but some things they leave alone, and I do more of that. They do not eat potato plants, for example.

There are many nutrient dense crops, however, your plague seems to be the critters that predate your crops… An axiom I use is, “if can’t farm it feed it”. Johnsongrass is one of those pests many farmers fight,now, I have learned if I graze cattle and sheep for a full season (put and take)the johnsongrass isn’t an issuefor a few years(the ruminants love johnson grass. Don’t fight Mama Nature, learn to eat her and enjoy Her blessings.
husbandfatherfarmeroptomestrist ( midlotopia Va.)

Pie plates work for a crow distraction, at least till my millet gets above their pulling.
This is an issue I am dealing with at this moment!
you need to taste what cane sorghum pressed and reduced, then fermented and run thru a d!st!llat!on unit has in store for a few mint leaves and ice. Oh My! the '68 ford can run on it.

@ Okay: Let me first say that I am fan of Chris Martenson, even though I don’t blog that much here. I had my middle school kids watch the crash course back in the day. I’ve bought one of the books, watched interviews over the years, and took the recent brace yourself post very seriously. Not to mention the great work on the virus education. However, you make a good point. There is a ‘let them get a farm’ feel to the whole 180 acre thing.

One strategy for apples is to have varieties that ripen in sequential months; my grandparents orchard (which my sister allows me visiting/occasional predation rights) has 25 ancient trees that ripen sequentially in months from early June til November and frost/snow. It keeps a constant supply of fresh apples (at lower volumes) with the last variety to ripen, staying fresh for months.

Hilarious!!!

Adam, we are all here, pay our dues ($30 is not enough for what you both have given us) to show loudly our support for YOU and CHRIS. You both are of high character and are appreciated. I seldom read anything that first doesn’t start with a thank you, a compliment our in admiration of you both with Charles. You have to take these comments deeper into your soul, to not just glance and move on but to internalize and let these very kind words resonate with you and drive you happily along while doing your work here. They are real compliments of approval and a direct positive to your works. Hear everyone Adam, read everyone with an open heart as they come from a very diverse group who are trying to figure everything out. I wish you well always so let that resonate with you more than some of my content. Just throw away the content you don’t like and insert that I am here, still learning and appreciative of so many things this site offers.
In 12 years I have learned so much from everyone that words could never express my appreciation. Be Good Brother, you are family of sort and in any family we do have issues but we have forgiveness too and understanding and pro’s, con’s and major differences of opinion. Hell, some Folks just get under your/my skin but, let it go. It’s never properly understood by either party anyways. Sometimes we just had a bad day and said things not meant to be harmful but on that day it did, maybe great harm but, it isn’t irreparable, we just need to hear all the good stuff too and feel good about what we are doing just because it is good and is the only assurance we need really. Self conviction. Let the BS go and feel the kindness expressed instead. In no way can we, any of us, express in words who we truly are as humans. What I see is a support group of like minded Folks, some write beautiful essays and others terrific history lessons and others give sound medical opinions. Some just bitch of their plight because they want to do so many things and can’t go fast enough because of the cash situation. Ever instance is personal and different. You just have to have HOPE for them that they figure these pressing issues out. I personally enjoy the people like Gothic who has a writing style that shows me he has a boundless vocabulary, and this is so cool to me. Others like Dave are so complete in his knowledge of everything, so forth and so on.
This site is your creation and you should feel very good about your feelings of giving back. It is excellence at its best so Pops gave you the tools you now bless us with. Feel great about those who supported you so that you could support us, you obviously took your gifts and centered it on a righteous cause and we all appreciate it. Glad you’re here. Peace BOB
PS: why 25 or so apple trees? Do you have an affinity for apple pie, strudel and any other apple filling type foods?! LOL…lots and lots of apples but, can’t live on apples. Just funnin’ but, seriously, why so many apples. Barb and I picked cherry’s as they are just now ripened on the vine in Traverse City not far from us… With our friends we picked, de-pitted and made so many jars of jelly and pie fillings. We love doing this but it is a mess and very time consuming but one rather large shelf is stacked top to bottom and right to left and deep into our shelf. Certainly enough for the year and Christmas gifts. Everyone loves our jelly and pie fillings. These Folks we gift also help us take care of some of our work when they visit. My Sister and her husband came up for a visit while we were doing our cherry’s so they split a cord and a half of wood while we finished up. They got their Thanksgiving cherry pie filling and strawberry jelly for their efforts. It was a fair exchange, all were happy. Next week we preserve corn (if ready, should be and we learn if our first attempt at preserving corn is successful), spinach and a lot of absolutely beautiful beats in our garden. The beets are the best we have grown. Onions, garlic and tomatoes are ready too so these will begin to be preserved or laid out in the garden to dry. Potatoes are ready so will come out of the garden as well. I love the weekends now because we begin to really fill the pantry.

[embed]https://www.wildhomesteading.com/food-forest/[/embed]
This one for the East Coasters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brlrcZIGyeU

I’m with you bro, I walk up eight ave past Penn Station these days and let me tell you, it’s bad, people are suffering, seventies bad. But a million dollars is just middle class these days and not even, in the city you can’t buy a studio apt for that–yet. I was prepared for 2008, got killed in 2011, and eventually aged-out for the last 10 yrs (not good). In the end as aware as one may be of class inequity and its “fragility”, Chris and Adam have been transparently working to bring information and practice to us, for all to see (big gratitude) I would leave to others the “insight” into what PP readers want [snicker] Social issues are more an object of reference here in relation to how one can read the signs and make it better for oneself and/or family and community.
If McPherson is right there is precious little time to be happy, to share happiness, and live happily in service to others. It takes courage for me to leave my own bull’ behind and focus on my dream. (oh shit! I can have a dream?!) (not while He was around, yeah, major inner healing work requires courage too)
So, Who’s on first…
Here is what you can grow in a 480 sq apt with two people:
[caption id=“attachment_574747” align=“alignnone” width=“300”]window farm Food Window: tomatoes, lettuce, watercress, ginger, turmeric and mint[/caption]
[caption id=“attachment_574746” align=“alignnone” width=“300”]Rosemary basil parsley and thyme Rosemary basil parsley and thyme[/caption]

I was born infertile. But, my wife and I adopted 5 Asian kids over the years, and now have an amazing family, including five grandkids. My wife, a marathoner got a neuromuscular disease five years ago. She, rather than wallow in pity, has deepened her connection to God through prayer, and study. She is, in my humble opinion, the strongest woman I know. I am proud of her and she shows others every day how to handle the twists and turns that God gives us.
We can choose how to “do life”, because we all have tragedy, and craziness along the way. For our family, we choose faith, family, and a microhomestead.

Good stuff. PP can’t do it all. Reference a recent update from Dr. Gary Null on getting off the grid. He’s been doing this sort of reporting (and practice) longer that even PP and the pdf he offers is chuck full of city, state, and country lists with those statistics.

Despite the criticism, I would bet that if everyone with financial success and talent would share their thoughts the way these guys did, the world would look a little better

OK, I messed up - I am actually 6b. Should have double-checked. I’m in the CO Rockies, elevation 5700. Do these suggestions still apply? Mmmm… the chestnut flour sounds delicious. Not aware of many nuts being grown around here. Thanks!