Home Defense Methods And Strategies

A frank reality is that home defense is something everyone needs to plan for.

Although crime may be very low in your area, that can change quickly. Plenty of high crime areas started as nice safe communities.

Many factors have contributed to areas becoming unsafe. The economic conditions due to COVID-19 have pushed many people into precarious financial straits. And when people are desperate, they’ll do things they would never have previously considered.

Similarly, the opioid crisis is directly linked to a rise in various crimes in communities and cities throughout America where use of these drugs is high.

Making the situation worse, a growing number of police officers are quitting due to lack of public support and/or open hostility towards them (e.g., “Defund the police!”). Fewer officers mean slower response times.

And for some crimes, police departments have informed residents that they won’t even send an officer out. Theft under $1,000 is not even considered a major crime in most cities and towns now.

A group of 34 of America’s biggest cities suffered a 30 percent total increase in homicides in 2020, according to a new survey published Monday, with police in four Midwestern cities reporting increases of more than 60 percent over 2019.

The two epochal events of 2020 — the coronavirus pandemic and the nationwide protests over police violence — were likely factors in the increase in slayings, two of the report’s authors said. The pandemic limited proactive anti-crime strategies by both police and social workers, commission director Thomas Abt said, and reduced focus on urban hot spots known to be large sources of violence.

The same article above points out that other violent crimes are down, but these statistics are misleading. If a crime (e.g., robbery or rape) escalates to murder, it's counted as murder. So it's improbable that other forms of violent crime haven't risen, too.

If you live in a rural area, it can take more than 30 minutes to get any help at all if you find yourself in a violent situation. This is why it’s so important to take the initiative to have a good defense plan in place.

Reaction To Violence

Many Americans are familiar with physical violence only through moves, television and video games.

Unless employed in the military, the police or a hospital, the closest most may come to it is perhaps a childhood fistfight at school.

Understanding how many modern American’s may react to violence is critical to keeping you and your family safe. Because they don’t understand it well, they don’t take it seriously.

A recent example of this is shown in this graphic video from Pennsylvania (warning: graphic subject material):

Neighbors start out fighting verbally, and then one pulls a gun. The woman in the video doesn’t run or take cover; in fact, she continues to taunt the enraged man and pulls out her cell phone to video everything. She lost her life.

We can learn from this incident the importance of backing off and not escalating the situation when someone is clearly acting irrationally. While there was a lot of name-calling and taunting before the couple was gunned down, there was plenty of time for them to run to safety or call law enforcement if they’d so chosen.

If you watched any of the live broadcasts of civil unrest during the spring and summer of 2020, you would have seen many similar incidents where people ignored just how dire the situation was.

One video that particularly stood out to me is this one from Atlanta back in June:

This was Atlanta last night. pic.twitter.com/0tCsOUcAXX

— Grace (@reallygraceful) June 20, 2020

Even with people yelling “get down” and the sound of gunfire all around, the unfortunate girl in this video appears to have kept walking towards the danger rather than taking cover.

She wasn’t the only one. Only after the girl gets shot do you see the majority of people sheltering or running.

You need to remind yourself and your family that violence is chaotic. They’re not safe just because they aren’t the initial target. Bystanders or family members of intended targets get hurt or killed all the time.

Don’t go towards the violence! If you find yourself near it, take cover or getaway as quickly as possible, depending on the situation.

Security Solutions For Home, Farm Or Office

I like to think of defense in layers.

Your first layer is your property line. A lot of people like to have a fence along this perimeter as the first layer of defense.

Inner layers can consist of driveway alarms, gates, dogs, and finally, well-fortified doors and windows.

In-home defenses include alarms, safes, your weapons of choice, and maybe even a safe room if you want to take things to another level.

Window Security Film

Over the years, I’ve often recommended window security film as an inexpensive and straightforward way to make your home or business more secure.

The film consists of a thick plastic that prevents the glass from breaking into dangerous shards. This makes it useful not only for preventing robberies and intruders but for protecting your family from projectiles during hurricanes, storms, and civil unrest.

Some of you may remember that massive explosion that happened at the docks in Beirut. A lot of injuries came from broken glass. But if windows with security film on them don’t turn into extra sharp shards when blown out, thus greatly reducing the potential for injuries.

This film is usually transparent, but there are mirrored or tinted options so that people can’t see into your home or car, but you can see out.

Window Alarms

Major online retailers like Amazon sell many different alarms that attach to windows and make loud high-pitched noise if the window is opened. These alarms are inexpensive (so renters or those living in dormitories should buy them, too).

Know Your Access Points

The more points of access there are to your property, the easier it is to breach. You want at least on security feature in place at each access point.

Don’t forget to consider easy non-traditional approaches, either. If someone can walk through an area easily and stay concealed, consider that a security threat.

Door Fortifications

Any exterior door is a security hazard.

Luckily there are plenty of inexpensive ways to prevent your door from being pried open or busted down. For extra security, you can use a combination of the options listed below:

Armor Concepts

Armor Concepts is a company that sells easy to install door reinforcement kits for regular and mobile home doors. All you need is a good screwdriver, but the job is a lot easier with a cordless drill.

This is a solution that renters can use without causing any unsightly or noticeable changes to the door.

Door Bars

A modern door bar is an improved version of a board slid into two holders across a door. One doesn't cost a lot and greatly multiplies the force needed to break your door in.

Door Stops

(Onguard Security Door Brace)

A doorstop attaches to the floor (see photo above) and like a door bar, makes it substantially harder for a burglar to force your door open.

Some versions feature a floor plate with a separate piece that slides in when you want to secure your door, while others have a heavy piece that drops in.

Replace the screws on your door hardware with longer ones

Replacing screws can be accomplished for just a few dollars per door and adds a lot of strength to your door.

Chain Locks & Deadbolts

Don’t underestimate the power of a good chain lock.

Sometimes a chain lock is the last lock that fails on a door. I was amazed to learn this on a MythBusters episode. I had fully expected that a little chain lock would be the weakest link.

A good deadbolt is a significant help, too.

In areas where crime is on the rise or is a continuing problem, multiple locks and door reinforcements are a good idea.

Garage Doors

A lot of robberies occur via the door of an attached garage. These doors are generally easier to get open than the front or rear doors of your home.

So the door that goes from your garage into your home needs to be well reinforced, too, and kept locked.

Also, a more robust and secure garage door is advisable if you own your home. If you rent, consider what you store in your garage wisely.

Garages are also a tempting spot for criminals to hide and wait on you. There have been cases of people waiting outside and running in as the door is opened and closed. You need to be alert and observant during these times, which can be difficult when all you want to do is take your shoes off after a long workday.

Motion Sensors and Lighting

Lighting that comes on when motion is detected can deter trespassers from going any further. It also allows you with a well-lit area when you return home after dark.

Cameras

There is a huge selection of security camera systems out there. You should get one, though I will say no single model is perfect.

For example, wireless cameras connected via wifi can be hacked, which means that someone could use your security system to spy on you – exactly the opposite of what you want.

Cameras that alert your phone when there’s a potential break-in or someone’s at your door are useful.

I have a friend who installed a Nest camera at her business. Within two days, the camera reported someone at the door with burglary tools. Even though she lives 40 miles from her office, she was able to alert the authorities and the culprit was quickly caught before doing any harm.

Some people use a combination of real cameras and fake ones to give the impression of a robust security system.

Whatever set-up you choose, remember that camera placement is important. Cameras are subject to damage if thieves can see them. So consider a combination of visible and hidden placements.

Fences

People and animals tend to follow the path of least resistance.

While practically any fence can be breached if someone is determined enough or has the right tools, a fence can encourage someone to find an easier target, buy you time to react to the threat, or force them to use another point of access that might be better defended.

Fences act as a funnel when dealing with frequent foot traffic as well, moving the “flow” away from invading your privacy.

Some people go so far as to put spikes or wire atop their fences. If you’re in a particularly high-crime area, that may be worth considering.

Dogs

(We added a German Shepherd puppy in September. He is just 5 months old in this pic. Now he is 9 months old and knows many commands and how to put the sheep in the barn. We also have 2 Great Pyrenees and a Labrador Retriever mix.)

Many people assume that they need a huge dog to make any difference in their home security. That’s not true.

While larger dogs have their advantages, any dog that makes a lot of noise when someone enters their territory is beneficial. Their barking makes it a lot harder for someone to catch you unawares, and it draws other people’s attention in the area.

Consider a German Shepherd, Great Pyrenees, or Doberman Pinscher if you have the space for larger dogs. These breeds make great family dogs as well.

German Shepherds are easy to find in the US. I recommend the Czech and DDR bloodlines. They have a lot of good instincts and have a longer lifespan than American German Shepherd bloodlines.

Driveway Alarms

A driveway alarm is an excellent alert for anyone approaching your property or pulling into the driveway. If you have a long driveway, it can allow you quite a bit of time before someone arrives. Some driveway alarms are hardwired, while others are wireless. The terrain and topography of your property can affect how well an alarm works. I live in the mountains and have discovered that some alarms do not work so well if there are many barriers like trees or hills between the point of the alarm and the house where the signal has to go.

Ensure that you read any product descriptions thoroughly and measure the distance you need to consider between the sensor and receiver. When in doubt, burying some cable will work but requires some work.

Landscaping

Some plants can make it harder for anyone to enter your home through windows, and some can make it easier. Spiky and thorny plants underneath ground floor windows are an excellent deterrent, and some can be quite beautiful!

• Roses
  • Devil’s Club
  • Barberry
Taller trees that are near windows can provide a method of entry for a determined criminal. Consider trimming any trees that could help provide access to 2nd and 3rd story windows.

Firearms

In 2020, a record number of firearms were sold. Many of these were sold to new gun owners. Regardless of what the media says, people from across the political, racial, or gender spectrum became new gun owners.

My Vietnam veteran father raised me on his own and taught me how to handle firearms safely and shoot when I was around six years old. I started with a .22, and then he helped me shoot AK-47s and SKS rifles.

I think that every home should have a firearm and hope they never have to use it. Firearms are equalizers. If someone lacks strength or ability, a gun can help even the playing field. There are plenty of people that look for people they perceive as weaker so that they can take advantage of them.

A good 12g shotgun is a reasonable solution for a basic and affordable gun for home defense. It is easy to use even if you are relatively inexperienced. A shotgun blast is less likely than a bullet to travel into adjoining rooms or homes, so they are a better option for those living close to other people.

Handguns are easier to conceal and take up less space. They also cost more than an inexpensive shotgun. Concealed carry laws vary by state or city.

A handgun in the following calibers is most common: 9mm, .380, .357, or .45. Choosing a common caliber means it is easier to find affordable ammo during regular times – though at the moment, practically all ammo is expensive or hard to find.

I’ve spoken with several dealers, and they stated that it will likely be several years before ammo availability and prices have any hope of returning to normal. Of course, that is dependent on no restrictive legislation passing in the meantime.

If you’re new to this topic, Peak Prosperity has a truly excellent Selecting A Firearm guide. It’s extremely comprehensive; the best I’ve seen on the internet.

Non Lethal Methods of Self Defense

Generally speaking, non-lethal weapons are anything that isn't a gun or a knife. Here's a brief list of things you can buy to defend yourself:
  • Baseball bat ( Some people say that it is wise to have a glove with the batt so you can claim it is just sports equipment)
  • Pepper Spray (Pepper gel works better and is less likely to form a cloud that incapacitates the person using it) You can get larger canisters for mounting in cabinets or walls of your home for easy access.
  • Kubatons and other keychain weapons
  • Tasers or stun guns
  • Any everyday object that can be used as a bludgeon
Never forget that just because something is considered non-lethal doesn't mean it can't kill when wielded with force. People can have underlying conditions that make them more susceptible to cardiac problems if they are pepper-sprayed, for example. "Non-lethal" means that it is unlikely to cause death if used to buy enough time to get away from the danger.

Consider A Bug Out Bag For Each Family Member

It's a good idea to have a bag packed with essentials if you have to leave your home for any emergency.

Bug-out bags are useful if you have to evacuate for natural disasters or if conditions get so unsafe that you feel your life is in danger. While many people have the intent of standing their ground and defending their home, there can be a point when temporarily leaving your home is the one thing you can do to significantly increase the odds that you will not be harmed in some way.

What Information Are You Sharing With The World?

What assumptions can someone make about you based on the appearance of your home?

Do you fly any flags, post-political signs, or have any décor that makes a statement?

While I believe in free speech and freedom of expression, I have to point out that sometimes you have to choose between risking others’ wrath to make a point or taking a more discreet approach.

Is it essential that everyone that drives by your home knows what political parties you support? Do you need to have signs up that say other things that could rub someone the wrong way?

It is certainly your right to express your opinion. Make your choice, but be aware of potential consequences during tumultuous times and how that could affect your loved ones.

Bumper Stickers

What you put on the back of your car can tell someone a lot about you. If you care about security, don’t put stickers on your car that shows how many family members you have or where people work or go to school. I realize that some stickers are required for employee parking and cannot be avoided, but anything beyond that is giving away unnecessary info to strangers.

Social Media

I never post anything on social media that tells anyone that I will be leaving my home for any length of time. Avoid letting the world know that you are on vacation or away. You should consider how many people you tell that you are reasonably close to. Just because they would never steal or do something doesn't mean they won't unwittingly mention that you are away so that others know.

While it is always tempting to show off photos of what you are up to, you should wait until you return home. Most things are not so important that they cannot wait. Don’t Livestream every aspect of your life so that someone that wishes you harm has an easier time planning.

Talk to your kids and teens about what they reveal online. Texting among close friends is a lot different than public posts with lots of details. During the pandemic, I heard plenty of parents complaining that their kids had told friends about how much food and cleaning supplies they had on hand. That type of info sharing can lead to trouble during a real long-term emergency. There were cases of robberies in areas where shortages were worse.

Shared info can be used to manipulate vulnerable household members into dangerous situations.

When Conditions Get Worse

Unfortunately, many people have recently experienced some dangerous situations due to rioting and unrest in cities and suburbs. Regardless of your political or moral opinions, it is easier than you might think to find yourself in a danger zone.

This section will concentrate on defensive methods if you are in an area where civil unrest is rampant and conditions do not show signs of improving. Hopefully, you never have to experience a situation like this.

Protection From Projectiles

Projectiles are a significant problem during times of civil unrest. There are several ways to gain some protection:

Remove any lawn furniture or decor that could be used as a projectile or weapon.

During times of civil unrest, anything that is easy to pick up could get damaged or be used to inflict damage. Small lawn statues and chairs are particularly tempting.

Window Film

As mentioned before, this protective film will prevent your windows from easily shattering.

Chicken Wire

Good old-fashioned chicken wire is available at any farm and garden store. When it is stretched tightly over windows, it can deflect some projectiles, including Molotov Cocktails.

Window Grilles

You see window grilles in many cities, especially in areas where crime is a problem. Typically these are only found on the first-floor windows. They are not pretty to look at, and staring out of them can feel prison-like. The advantages are that they are very effective. They are made of heavy-duty iron. The cost to purchase and install is prohibitive if you just want some basic security.

Keychain Perimeter Alarms

Giving yourself extra time to react to a perceived threat is helpful. You can purchase keychain alarms and use string or fishing line to make tripwires. If someone crosses the line, the alarm will sound.

Barbed Wire

If you keep a roll of barbed wire on hand, you can use it to make it harder for someone to gain entry through windows, doors, fences, and more. Sure barbed wire can be cut, but most people are not walking around with the tools for that.

Create A Safe Room

Rooms that face streets or have a lot of windows are the least safe in your home. A room towards the center is safer from projectiles. You can even fortify it with mattresses and other large objects.

Here are FEMA’s guidelines for creating a safe room.

Conclusion

While it's unpleasant to think about crime or violence happening to you and your family, it's a good idea to get outside your comfort zone and plan for some of these scenarios.

Taking control of the security and well-being of your family is empowering and worthwhile. The average person can do a lot to prevent becoming a victim. Many criminals look for the easiest target. Anything you can do to make yourself a more difficult one increases the odds that you won’t have any major problems.

Talking to your family about how to react if they find themselves in or near a potentially violent situation is important. The faster they can get to safety, the better. Delayed reactions or standing around to get “proof” by filming is not a good idea when your life is on the line.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://peakprosperity.com/home-defense-methods-and-strategies/

As a young single woman, I lived in Brooklyn, NY during the late 1970s, 1980s, and early 1990s. Apartment break-ins and car break-ins, parts theft, and theft were a way of life. Chains are completely useless, anyone can kick those in. You need a way to see who’s there prior to opening the door. It can be a peephole or an electronic version but that’s the only safe way to even crack your door other than the following. Any easily accessible door must be solid and without windows. If your door has a window you do not have a door. Get one of those wrought iron security doors and make sure it’s installed properly. Same for windows. If it can be reached, it offers 0% security regardless of locks. There are “fire department approved” gates that allow you to exit in case of a fire but will not let anyone in. Good ones of either of those for either door or windows are not cheap. In approximately 1980, I got one for my fire-escape window and hazy memory recalls it at around $300 back then.
Also, with regard to locks, a deadbolt separate from your entry knob is key (pun intended). I’m not up-to-date anymore but for decades the pick-proof lock of choice for NYers was Medeco. They also were never cheap but I can tell you with certainty that almost any lock you buy in a big-box store is probably useless.
Came back to edit this to add that your “lifestyle” and general awareness suggestions are spot-on. When Facebook started, my bestie who still lives in Brooklyn and is a retired cop would laugh with me about the a$$holes posting. She and I agreed it was like taking out a “please rob me” ad. Also, if there’s any escalating violence or police action, run don’t walk away from the situation. Be aware enough of your surroundings to make that happen. And keep everything about your house and car as plain vanilla as possible. No one with good intentions gives a damn about your stick figure family. If there are shots heard outside your home, DO NOT go to the window to see what’s going on. Hit the floor for heaven’s sake!

Appreciate the well written article. This may be be a bit of a stretch but one ought to understand local and State law and or consult with local law enforcement or legal-eagles to understand legal boundaries. Outside of an immediate response for protection if you plan on carrying anything (on our person or in our vehicle) that could be construed as a weapon (or contraband), it is at the discretion of a police person whether you get a ride in the cruiser. Don’t take your perceived “class” or phenotype as any kind of protection from brooding officers of the State. Lastly, don’t make any mistakes regarding a lost driver looking for directions or help with a broken-down automobile in the middle of the night. AND yews, lastly learn to know your fear-factors, how do you behave when scared out of your wits with the hair on the back of your neck standing straight up. It’s a different “you” than the one reading this article.
“At the edge of extinction, only Love remains” --G. McPherson

“for decades the pick-proof lock of choice for NYers was Medeco” Yep, still THE LOCK to get. Installed them on all my doors, including the one to the garage, about 3 years ago, for about $300 EACH (I had a locksmith do it). The locksmith said he is the only one at his firm that can pick one, and it takes him several minutes.

One plant that has Super-Spikey thorns (2 inches long) is my Brooks Prune Tree.
Though I think it’s the root-stock that actually has the thorns.
I think one of the best security options is to simply not have your house be visible from the road.
About 9 years ago I needed a midnight jump on an old Mercedes diesel. The AAA guy gave me a big compliment, said he’d been driving for 20 years in our town and never knew there was a house “up there”.
Returning to the Dead Serious aspect of Home Defense. What do you do if you end up with a dead body as a result of your home or business defense choices ?
I think it’s wise to discuss the nitty gritty details with an attorney who is street-wise and knowledgeable about firearms.
And also with a knowledgeable firearms instructor - who has the same agreement re protecting your secrets as the Attorney.
Also, I suggest that PP members consider obtaining a Suppressor.
The purpose of that is to give you a choice in the event that you use your firearm in a home or business defense scenario.
If you shoot un-suppressed, the police will probably be showing up. Firearms sounds have that effect on the neighbors.
If you shoot suppressed, it will probably be your choice about whether or not to call 9-11.

I think dealing with these self-defense scenarios means thinking through many different scenarios before-hand. It is like trading in the Silver market. Things happen fast, and if you are spending thousands of dollars, you want to get it right.
If a firearm is used in a home or business defense scenario, it means that things have started happening fast.
It is very difficult, perhaps impossible, to think through all those scenarios in Real time (at the time of a security incident that inspires you to chamber a round of ammo). It works much better if you think through all the scenarios before-hand. Which might mean taking 3 months of classes.
The goal of using a firearm is not just to defend your home or business. It’s to defend your home or business without ending up with a felony on your record.

I am in no way claiming to be a firearms or self defense expert by ANY stretch of the imagination. I do have some friends that I have served with that could qualify as experts in this field. When I have a question about this kind of stuff I refer to them. Anyways here is my opinion on this topic.

1. Do not have a firearm for defense unless you are willing to use it to end another life. Not everyone is capable of doing this. Better to do some serious self reflection first.
  2. practice often. Look up the hit percentage of cops when discharging their weapons in self defense. Not exactly reassuring. This isn’t like playing Fortnite on xbox.
  3. Shotgun shell loads are a mixed bag many can and do go through drywall just fine. You don’t want to be that guy who ended up killing the neighbor in the next door condo because you wanted to scare the burglar away and didn’t realize it could go through walls. If you pull the trigger you are responsible for the outcome. Refer to rule number 1 and 2 above.
  4. ammo is expensive and hard to find. This is why many people who enjoy shooting tend to reload. What caliber weapon you buy depends on a few things. Personally I don’t carry anything larger than a 9mm because I have a small frame and a larger weapon would be a bit harder to conceal for me. I have friends who carry larger weapons. Much of it is personal preference and what you are comfortable with.
  5. there is a reason the AR platforms are very popular. Easy to shoot and easy to maintain with reasonable accuracy.
  6. kubatons are fine for people with extensive training. If you are a small person without extensive training odds are quite high that some large MZB will shove it up your behind the second you pull it out. I had many years of martial arts training in multiple methods but I understand physics and body mechanics enough to know that I am a small female and even with training I can be at a significant disadvantage in a fight with a larger male opponent especially if he has any kind of training. I have personally used my martial arts training to defend my life on occasion before and I am very lucky the guy was a similar size to me. If presented with a much larger male attacker at this point I’d refer to my rule 1 above.

“The goal of using a firearm is not just to defend your home or business. It’s to defend your home or business without ending up with a felony on your record.”
Amen to that.
I can say that if I ever wind up on a jury in a case where a homeowner killed someone who had broken into his/her home, the prosecutor would have to work really hard to get me to vote to convict that homeowner. To me, anyone breaking into someone’s home is an immediate threat and has given up their right to life. I don’t know how many share my viewpoint.

I love where I live, everyone on my dead end road has dogs (they wake you up and distract the intruder) and hand guns (mostly 9mm, quick access safe). Always lock up your guns!
But what really keeps you safe are good neighbors. Had a young man poking around last summer, basically casing houses. So four of us confronted him and let him know never to return, after forcing him to show ID. He took the hint. This was absolutely not something I could have done by myself. Strength in numbers gives you more options and can be very convincing.
Hypothetically, if we ever entered some kind of deteriorating security situation in town, I think we’d pull together as a neighborhood, I think that’s they only way it would work.
Also, I really recommend ASP (Active Self Protection) youtube channel, really good case studies, mostly from officer involved shooting videos but also homeowners, including general tips as well as legal considerations. Good stuff.

In Virginia, I understand that the law in effect says you have a right to immediately shoot an intruder that breaks into your house at night, but if she breaks in during the day, that right goes away and standard self defense rules apply (equal force, are you afraid for your life etc.)

The first and most effective means of self DEFENSE is avoidance. Remember, self defense and “fighting” arent the same thing…[though they retain elements of each other.] Crossing the street can save your life in a situation where all the karate, strength, and weapons training in the world might get you killed.
I apply this to “home defense” by living in a nice, low crime neighborhood. Ive lived in alot of places in my life; cities, suburbs, a cabin in Alaska, and rural farm/logging towns. Cities are the most dangerous by far, no question. Suburbs can be just as dangerous in the wrong neighborhoods [ even in the good ones ]. Remote cabins have their own separate set of dangers [ more related to wildlife, the elements, and the distance/accessibility to help ]. Although there are potential dangers everywhere, I have found small rural communities to be the safest.
In most of these places, there is a real sense of community bond. If you get yourself stuck in the mud, there isnt a self respecting farmer anywhere in this great country of ours who wouldnt stop what he’s doing, saddle up his tractor, and come to your rescue. Ive had friends of mine come up here for a visit and a couple of locals followed them right up the driveway to see who they were and what they were up to.
You can avoid alot of problems by being in the right place. That being said, there are potential bad actors everywhere. Some great advice given in the article. My second worst nightmare would be to have to kill a man. It is second only to what that man might do if I DONT kill him. As a father and husband raising a family on an isolated farmstead I have no choice and cannot afford to hesitate for even a fraction of a second. And I wont.

Hi Permiegirl…In a respectful way I would ask if there is anyway you can leave the city? Someone with your smarts and experience would thrive in the country. I moved from a suburban basic city upbringing to the country kind of by accident, and now there is no way I will ever live in the city again.
We live in a rural area where Sunday afternoon target-shooting is more popular than beer and football. People are always popping rounds. My neighbor and I just split a 1000 round order of 9mm. Getting harder to find. We share garden and livestock activities with neighbors…Life here is really different.
And on the flip side of the discussion regarding door locks…We don’t generally use them on our house. There is enough glass that locking doors would be kind of ridiculous. We do keep handguns in a quick access safe and have dogs on duty 24/7.
I wonder if the attractions of city life are still as compelling as they were pre-Covid? My oncologist is at Columbia-Presbyterian and I used to enjoy trips to the city…Couldn’t wait to eat at Patsy’s Italian restaurant and great sushi everywhere, and we are still laughing years after seeing the “Book of Mormon” on broadway…but sadly those days are gone. If you have never experienced country life…it comes highly recommended.

100%

Living in Rural Oregon …
I have 2 neighbors who shot & killed each other’s dogs about 12 years ago.
The bad vibes from that reverberate to this day. Despite one of the neighbors dying in a car crash in Virginia in 2011, and the other being about 75 & on the edge of death.
The neighbor that died seemed to Bequeath his bad neighbor policy to a friend that ended up renting the house. That friend has a habit of reporting neighbors to the police & state for non-offenses. E.g. another neighbor was gold mining in the creek immediately to the South of the bad neighbor. The bad neighbor called the police on the person running the water pump (as part of a sluice.)
Such a contrast. I went down and talked with the gold miner & got a 1 hour lesson.
The problem with people having firearms is that they often use them for Really Stupid Things.

My, formerly peaceful, neck of the woods started seeing some home invasions last year. It’s still rare, but no longer unheard of. That’s on top of the occasional burglaries that have been going on longer.
For me, it’s no longer just about being armed and prepared. I want forewarning, in the middle of the night, if someone penetrates my home. Additionally, I want to know if someone is in my house when I’m away.
I installed a burglar alarm system last year and love the peace of mind.
I’ve toyed with the idea for years, but didn’t feel the compelling need until last year.
I chose SimpliSafe as a good hybrid between completely do-it-yourself and fully contracted service. I did the installation myself in a few hours.
It’s something you might want to consider.

Yes it was an excellent article. Even described what a clip is. LOL
As a addition to the shotgun part. Many shotguns can be bought with box magazines and can be swapped out pretty quickly, but even with the tube magazine, if you practice you can combat load an empty shotgun and then load the tube pretty quickly if you have a pouch on your belt with loose shells. (TRAINING) Those bandolier things look good, but removing the round to insert into gun is time consuming. Hopefully the five shells you have in the gun will end the fight quickly. If you are reloading in a fight with a shotgun in your home, you have other problems. Shotgun on a combat sling with your pistol on your hip as your secondary. Drop shotgun, which will swivel away and go to secondary. I know takes time to get ready and TRAINING!
As for rang yes, 50 yards, I would say 40 yards with shot is the limit. 00 Buck will hold a good pattern on a human silhouette at 40. A slug can be accurate up to about 100 yards, with a slug barrel, but you can easily split the difference with a smooth bore if you use Foster or Brenneke slugs. Don’t shoot Sabot slugs out of smooth bore, accuracy will suffer greatly.
Also shotgun shells do take up way more room. My five round magazine for one of my shotguns sticks out of the bottom of the gun and you would swear it held more. The ten round actually looks ridiculous, but keep in mind a 2 /34 inch 12 gauge 00 Buck has 9 .30 caliber pellets in it. The 3" has 12. So every trigger pull, multiple projectiles are going down range and starting to spread out from each other. Doesn’t mean you don’t have to aim, it just makes getting some of the projectile on target more likely.

The isolated piece of land I just bought and am developing has only two permanent residents on the ridgeline at present - one of them happens to be the local police chief and a lifetime community member (~1000 population). Didn’t know until I bought it.
He just closed on his house March 12th last year and this is most likely his forever home. He paid $270k for 5 acres overlooking the Mississippi from 250’ up with a 2500+ sq. ft. Mormon built log cabin.
Lucky timing on his part, I’d sell a kidney for that property and house right now. Easily get $500k today for that place.

ANYWAY… We’ve spoken a few times so far and I like him quite a bit. Straight shooter and the town and county communities are truly his life. He’s exactly one month older than I am which is somewhat synergistic.
Feeling pretty confident in him as a neighbor in bad times. Let’s hope I have enough awareness and usefulness to bring to the neighborhood and the town if/when needed.

Big thanks for the safety film suggestion Samantha! Ordering some now.

It’s best to train your mind to react instantly and instinctively to a deadly threat. In most cases it will happen very fast and you won’t have time to think about the legal, moral, political and tactical considerations. Do it in advance. Cops are getting killed and severely wounded these days because they’re hesitating because of political considerations. They see what has happened to other cops in perfectly legal and moral self defense shootings. Remember Jacob Blake? I loved it when the MSM finally admitted he had a knife in his hand but wrote “he was otherwise unarmed.” Work it out for yourself in advance, politics be damned.

Yup, can and have. We bought 10 acres in a very rural part of NY State Finger Lakes region 3 years ago. Have already fenced a 1/4 acre garden where we grew a ton of food last year. Put in a septic system ourselves with plans and inspections from the Dept. of Health. Had a wonderful engineer there do the plans for us along with all inspections, he was a godsend! Had a well dug by an “old-timer” who still hasn’t gotten the pipe run to our cabin. He’s 84 and I pray for his continued health. Speaking of a cabin, we prepared and poured an insulated slab (with delivered concrete) and were going to try a stick build but with COVID ended up having an Amish shed/garage company frame it for us. It’s small, 24 x 24 with a tall loft, and showed up in 2 parts on a trailer, got assembled and anchored within hours. Put in our own windows for which they framed the openings, so it’s buttoned up but that’s where it ended by fall. Everything has been “pay-as-you-go” and done legally with permits.
My husband currently works, although I’m a stay-at-home mom, having adopted 2 kids who are young enough to almost be our grandkids (now or soon entering high school) and that ties us to areas where he can get a job. We’re no longer in NYC proper - got priced out anyway. We’re now in a distant suburb, actually a small city. He was laid off last summer but was able to immediately get contracting work and has worked from home, so we’re doing fine. But as to where we eventually end up until retirement … who knows? The only “requirement” at least for as long as we have the luxury of that option is to be within a reasonable commute for our land. It’s currently 150 miles door to door and much longer makes it tough to do on a regular basis.
By complete luck we have absolutely wonderful neighbors and I agree that country folks know about cooperation, usually. I actually love the country and the city. It’s the suburbs I’m not crazy about.

I’m still trying to process How safe I will be when govt Agencies come for our guns And property! Remember “you will owe nothing and be happy”? Are we at risk here in the US of losing our acres of land And investments we make trying to safeguard ourselves and trying to be resilient? Is this all for nothing? I’ve heard comments that the only safe posture is to actually leave the country to another place that isn’t going to have to deal with mandatory vaccines and the confiscation of our liberties. I’m still searching for where that is? Advice is greatly appreciated

I dont expect the great reset to happen, not nearly to the extent that they would like. The WEF is already backtracking, trying to do damage control by taking down videos, etc.