How Prepared Are You? Let’s Find Out.

We're pleased to announce the first-ever Peak Prosperity Resilience Challenge.

Over an upcoming weekend in January 2019 (specifc dates to be announced soon) participating individuals will turn off their electricity from Friday at 7:00pm to 7:00pm Sunday and subsist entirely off of their existing preparations.

Are you in?

We’ll be seeking community input over the next month as we refine the particulars of this challenge; but the intention is to stress-test everyone’s current in-place emergency plans. So when the weekend arrives, no going out to the store to get new batteries, more firestarter, or a hot coffee.

A number of Peak Prosperity members proposed this idea to us in the wake of Hurricanes Harvey and Florence. During those storms, a lot of folks learned their emergency preps were much less robust than they had initially anticipated.

We agree this challenge is a great idea. Working out kinks and shortcomings during a practice-run like this will increase our odds of persevering through a future emergency. 

Which is why we’re picking a cold winter month (for those of you in the northern hemisphere) to really push ourselves out of our comfort zones.

What will you eat? How will you stay sufficiently warm? Will you have to take steps to keep the pipes in your house from freezing? How will you communicate with the outside world? Do you have sufficient nighttime lighting? How will you occupy your time? 

The goal here is to identify each of our weak areas while having some fun knowing that we're all going through the experience together. We'll all regroup here online once we turn the electricity back on Sunday night and compare learnings. Trust me, there will be many to share.

The Solution For Anxiety

In our ten years of alerting people to the growing predicaments presented by The Three Es, rooted firmly in the impossibility of attempting to grow infinitely on a finite planet, we’ve discovered something very important about anxiety: it dwells in the gap between what you know and what you do.

For example, if you know you live close to an active earthquake fault but have no safeguards in place, you're going to experience anxiety.  Maybe your mind is able to suppress it way down to a background murmur, but there it sits anyways, eating away at your peace of mind and sense of being a responsible adult.

And eventually, it will flare up the next time a swarm of light tremors hits your area, as an urgent reminder that the next big earthquake is not a matter of if, but of when.

Because you cannot ‘unknow’ something, your only course of action to reduce or eliminate such anxiety is to take action and bring your behavior into better alignment with what you know is right. 

In our earthquake example, that would mean -- at a minimum -- procuring a 48-hour emergency kit for your home, an emergency contact plan for your family with backup plans and rendezvous points understood by all. You also should have a means of charging your phone and other light electronics without access to the electrical grid, as well as a means of purifying drinking water that doesn’t rely on boiling.

All of that might take you 60 minutes and a few hundred dollars to locate and purchase. But boy, will you feel an immediate sense of inner relief with those basic fundamentals attended to. 

Very few families are sufficiently prepared for any sort of emergency or natural disaster. And an even smaller fraction actually run practice tests to ensure their plans will work properly when crisis hits.

So here’s the bottom line: if you're feeling anxious these days, then we invite you to figure out why and do something about it.  Close that gap. You’ll feel better.

And if you are feeling anxious, know that you're not alone. There’s a lot to be worried about these days.

Ecosystems are collapsing. The central banks are trying to undo a decade of idiotic money printing. Resource wars are on the horizon. Politics are getting increasingly divisive as the ruling classes seem unable to understand how their policies are harmful to the majority (which opens the doorway to all sorts of would-be demagogues and saviors).

Given the imminence of the end of the exponential economic growth model, an enormous set of obvious questions emerges: What material preparations should you make? Where should you try and store your wealth and in what forms? Where do you want to live? What skills do you need to develop? Do you know your friends and neighbors well enough to rely on them under a variety of potential circumstances? 

Once you’ve worked your way through these questions, a deeper set emerges: What’s your role here on earth while you are alive?  Who do you want to be?  What mark do you want to leave on the world?  Are you on track to be a wise elder to the younger generation?

The approaching hornets' nest of crises are truly existential, and therefore evoke a healthy amount of deep questioning, as is right and proper. 

The Importance Of Training

To illustrate how stress-testing can dramatically ramp up resilience, increase community bonding, be fun, and be both humbling and inspiring at the same time, let me tell you about our most recent Peak Prosperity skill building event.

Last month, roughly 30 Peak Prosperity members travelled to Pahrump, Nevada for an intensive four-day defensive hand gun training course at Front Sights' incredible facilities. Here's a group photo of all of us:

As good as the ranges were, the staff was even better. All the instructors had extensive, mostly military, experience with firearm safety and proficiency, and were extremely hands-on with each of us:

They drilled the basic steps into us, making us practice them over and over again. Loading and unloading. Drawing and reholstering. Squeezing the trigger and then permitting the trigger finger to only travel back far enough to allow the trigger reset. How to clear the four most common malfunction types. We repeated all of these over and over again during the four days.

A main point of all that repetition was that if, god forbid, any of us ever has to actually use a firearm to defend life or limb in the future, we’ll be lucky to recall 50% of our training in the heat of the moment. The other 50% will go right out the window as adrenaline and fear flood our senses.

So what mattered was that everything we did was always the same. This was to build muscle memory. At least we’d have that available to us, to some degree, if ever forced to defend ourselves under stress.

Look, I’ve been a shooting enthusiast for over 30 years and consider myself to be a decent shot with both pistol and rifle.  But I learned more in those 4 days about handgun shooting than I had over the past twenty years, which consisted mainly of going to the range and repeating my self-taught habits, some of which I am having a hard time undoing (good grief, could my left elbow please stay by my side and not fly out like a chicken wing?).

Over the four days at Front SIght I watched a very wide range of skills and abilities narrow down to something approaching solid proficiency.  People who didn’t know which way to load a bullet into a magazine on Day1, and who initially repeatedly missed the paper targets from a generous 5 yds, were all smoothly and accurately cycling through the drills on day 4 and reliably putting their shots where they needed to go. 

All the reading or lecturing or watching Youtube videos could not have replaced the value we received from 'real world' hands-on practice, especially with skilled eyes paying close attention and providing feedback.

Said differently, plans without practicing are essentially worthless. Anything and everything in life that we want to be proficient in has to be practiced.  Navy Seals practice, doctors practice, football teams and ballerinas and musicians practice.  Everybody who desires to be useful at something has to practice. 

Practice, Practice, Practice

That’s one of the most important keys to life.

If you want to be part of our inaugural Resilience Challenge this January, be sure to register or better yet enroll at Peak Prosperity. For those interested, we'll be providing more guidance on how to participate on the site soon.

Also keep your eye out for more installments of our newly-launched Knowledge Capital Excursions. Odds are high we'll return for another trip to Front Sight next year. Adam is working on a weekend workshop for Peak Prosperity members at Joel Salatin’s Polyface Farm in Swopes, VA. And we're working on a few more of these experiential outings in 2019 that should be announced soon.

Bootm line: the world isn’t getting any saner, and there’s certainly a bunch of surprises coming our way in the future. 

By practicing and stress-testing your resilience skills now, you’ll be in a much better position to both weather the storms as well as help the many others who are neglecting to get themselves ready. 

It’s my view that things are going to get worse before they get better.  Maybe a lot worse.  We just don’t know yet, but you should be prepared as best you can for whatever's coming.

So in Part 2: Prudent Steps For Becoming Safer, More Secure & More Mobile I detail out a number of the specific preparations I'm taking in my own life right now in both home and personal security. These are the kind of investments you definitely want to have in place before you need to rely on them in a crisis.

I also address a new mode of preparation that applies to a wide range of potential scenarios. "Going mobile" as a well-stocked, robustly-skilled itinerant may find you lots of open doors should your initial emergency plans not work out. It's a model worth considering either as a fall-back plan, or perhaps a primary plan for those living in areas unlikely to fare well in adversity.

Click here to read Part 2 of this report (free executive summary, enrollment required for full access)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://peakprosperity.com/how-prepared-are-you-lets-find-out/

I am in. I think no power weekends are a great idea.

For those of us who have had 2 day power outages already, and have solar with battery back up, should we pretend the batteries/solar is broken and REALY have no power ?

gave us 4 days of practice,not a hitch(my step father was in town with his Cpap and had to burn diesel all night) could have gone 4 yrs not 4 days.
if alll the world was fine and mad max wasn’t an issue we would be fine, max, however, is a concern.

We’re listing our house for sale in January and have moved about 80% of our furniture, belongings and preps into storage in New Hampshire where our retirement home is being built. We still have one of two generators, our go bags and weapons still here with us. We’re very vulnerable to a real crisis until we get really resettled in NH in May and we couldn’t be ready to participate in January. We’ll be ready for you next time. Great idea! How about every 18 months so we alternate winter and summer scenarios?

Even with all your long term preps elsewhere, you must keep enough food in the house, and candles or something to go 2 days ? It would still be a very good excercise. I will do it this time turning off the solar/battery back up to make it even
I have always wanted this type of thing to happen ( practice, not “the big one”) and for a first having so much notice is ok I guess, but ideally it would be best if we just got a “now” at some arbitrary time, which is what an earthquake would do, and see how it goes. What is the worst that could happen ? It gets so bad you end ear;y and flip the switch back on ? But, even then, alot would have been learned to prep for

thc0655 wrote:
How about every 18 months so we alternate winter and summer scenarios?
Or every six for that reason (and to allow people to stress-test their preps, make their adjustments, and then re-test)? VIVA -- Sager

My partner has a fetish for scented candles, however, the fragrance gives me a headache. ie.have plenty of unscented candles.

Two days without power isn’t much of a test of our preps. It’s more just an inconvenience that draws on our patience, creativity, relationships and mental agility/adaptability. Last March we were at the extended family’s all-electric beach house in Rhode Island celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary when a nor’easter knocked out the area’s electricity service for 60 hours (which is 12 hours longer than this PP test). We had zero preps except my EDC (every day carry) in my pockets and in my truck (none of which were used). No big deal. We just bundled up when we were in the house, spent time hiking during the day, ate for breakfast and lunch what was in the refrigerator and on the shelves that didn’t need to be cooked, ate our dinners and took showers at my wife’s brother’s house 10 miles away (he had a generator), and used candles and oil lamps for lighting. We had decided to go home if the power stayed off 12 more hours (the inside temperature was down to about 45 F), but it came back on. This was unscheduled and we didn’t know when it would end, so it was a good short term test (but not of our equipment and supplies.) It was a test of US.
Ok. You’re on. We’ll join you on the appointed weekend in January. We’ll pack up the cat Friday afternoon and drive to NH for the weekend where we’ll spend our time getting stuff out of storage and setting it up in the house. Then we’ll come home Sunday evening. Mission accomplished!
here are some alternate scenarios to test our survivability on future weekends:

1. Police have just ordered you to evacuate your home due to a raging wildfire (or train derailment leaking toxic fumes and radiation). You have 12 minutes. You may not ever be able come home again. Go! (afterwards inventory what you took in those 12 minutes and make a list of a. What you didn’t really need, and b. What you would’ve regretted not bringing if you could never go home again or your house was burned to the ground.)
  2. You’re returning home on Sunday evening at 8:00 pm after having eaten at a restaurant because you’re power’s been out since Friday. There are three men and a teenage girl you’ve never seen before knocking on your front door as you park. As you approach them at the front door, asking them “Can I help you?”, one of the men begins pulling his hand from his pocket and even before it’s completely out you can see he’s holding a handgun. Go!
  3. (This is a tabletop simulation, a “war game” conducted in your home.) A massive worldwide economic collapse has been followed by a “limited” nuclear war which has enfeebled most of the conventional military forces of the US, Russia, China, Britain, and NATO. You hear from multiple reliable sources that the Chinese airborne unit that conquered the nearest big city from you is now venturing into the suburbs and countryside expanding their zone of control. They are taking whatever resources they want, killing armed resisters (including military and police survivors augmented by local residents) and setting up military governance staffed mostly with submissive local residents. It appears by their pace you have 3-4 days to come up with a plan and implement it before they reach your location. If you’re going to run, state how you will get there and with what, what you will do once there, and what you will take with you. Show me a map with your route and intended destination. I’ll create problems at three different locations along the route and you have to respond. If you’re going to stay and fight, list the people by first and last name you can count on to fight with you and why you think you can rely on them. Give the name of every local person you personally know and are friends with who at least has one or more firearms and has combat or police experience. List for me all your firearms and how many rounds of ammunition you have for each. Lay out all your weapons and ammunition and send me a photo with an exact count of each. Next go to a shooting range and demonstrate these skills: drawing your handgun from concealment at the signal, hit a man-sized silhouette in the chest two times from 21 feet in 1.5 seconds (and no generous time allowance like at Front Sight in the basic class - 1.8, 2.0 , 2.2 seconds or more). With your rifle, hit a man sized steel target 4 out of 5 times at 100 yards from the prone position, and 3 out of 6 times at 400 yards. No practice shots to get the proper range. No time pressure. In both the handgun and rifle tests no one will be shooting at you. If you plan to submit to the foreign military forces, describe what you think your first week, month and year would be like. State what skills and resources you have that would keep the foreign invaders from killing you or putting you into a manual labor camp. What moral dilemmas do you think you’d have to deal with?
  4. On a Saturday grab your go bag and whatever you carry every day, and hike into the woods, mountains or desert. Pretend it’s too dangerous to start a fire for cooking or warmth. You have to stay quiet and hidden from bad people patrolling the area. Eat only what doesn’t need cooking. Drink only what you brought with you or can safely make drinkable with what you brought with you. Spend the night. In the morning cook a meal with the fire you start, with the cookware you brought, with the food you brought. Then hike back.
    I’m sure there are some more tests we can come up with that would be fun and revealing.
    ”Welcome to the Hunger Games. And may the odds be ever in your favor.”

Great idea! Glad so many will try this. Where we live in north central WA, the power can go out at any time and does a few times a year. Sometimes it can be out for up to 9 days, so far in the six years we have lived here full time. Sometimes our local electric coop is doing a planned shutdown for repairs.
My husband has serious apnea and MUST have his CPap working every night, all night. So we have had chances to practice using our portable battery (YETI) that can be repowered from our off-grid live solar power during the day. All seems to work well. We also have wood heat and propane hot water on demand and stove with ability to light with a match. Pantry is full, barn is full of hay, shed is full of firewood, car and truck tanks are always topped off. Our irrigation is gravity fed, so no pumps and is off for the year. I guess only the chickens will notice a power outage in the winter as their light will go off.
Good luck to all of you who are taking the challenge! Kate

Syria, Yemen, Bosnia, Wal-mart, Goldman Saks. . . take your pick. You’d better cultivate good neighbors while you’re at it. Trusted neighbors should be in the mix in a total package of preparedness. Guess what; all of us tend to be smarter and more resilient than each of us

"New fighting forces emerged – versatile mercenary troops and armed marauders who carried out atrocities with utter impunity. And a new breed of war profiteers came to the fore – people like Albrecht von Wallenstein who sought to maintain hostilities for personal gain and looked to turn a profit from one campaign to fund the next. In some ways, war became an industry in its own right. Profiteers plundered resources at every opportunity to sustain their business model, leaving entire regions devastated with no chance of a quick recovery."
http://blogs.icrc.org/law-and-policy/2017/05/23/thirty-years-war-first-modern-war/

Hi Chris,
We are IN. While we have multiple layers of resilience: Solar power, LP generator, well pump, hand pump, wood stove, stocked pantry, etc., ACTUALLY do a live test always reveals cracks in the systems and unexpected issues.
As for the value of the test, I think it will be most helpful to have an explicit list of “ground rules” for the simulation; ie. you can (or perhaps cannot) drive your car; if so, no purchase of fuel is allowed. Turn off the main power breaker to the house. Must you live at your own place or go live with nearby family? Personally, I think the value of the test would be most useful if you have to shelter in place; perhaps simulating a massive snow dump where power is out for days and snow plows don’t get out to clear roads.
Finally, it might be useful for those participating to provide some feedback via a structured survey of 10-20 questions with 1-10 scale responses, to allow us to see how prepared we were collectively and what areas tended to be overlooked: water, food storage, animal care, communications, mental sanity, emotional stress, etc.
I think it’s a great idea to do this test, and we plan to invite a number of friends to partake as well. Inviting friends and family to do the test also is way to build community along a common experience and value system.
Onward… eyes open… together,
Bill Costantino

I think you jinxed us Chris! :wink: Last night we lost power and our solar (not dependent on the grid !?!) for about 3 hours. Our solar guy is coming out to look at the system as we have well water and so need it to work. We would be up for the blackout weekend but already have had a taste of it last night!

I just posted a Featured Discussion on the catostrophic destruction the Camp (NorCal) and Woolsey (SoCal) fires are wreaking in California:
https://peakprosperity.com/forum/114520/california-fire-catastrophe
Included is a horrific video just released by a Butte County resident who barely managed to escape with his life. He returns to check on his neighbors to find them all incinerated in their cars as they tried to flee.
It’s a sobering reinforcement of this thread’s “be prepared” theme. And a reminder that your time window to rely on your preparations may be only measured in minutes/seconds in certain emergencies…

BillnEllenprepared wrote:
Hi Chris, We are *IN*. While we have multiple layers of resilience: Solar power, LP generator, well pump, hand pump, wood stove, stocked pantry, etc., *ACTUALLY* do a live test always reveals cracks in the systems and unexpected issues. As for the value of the test, I think it will be most helpful to have an explicit list of "ground rules" for the simulation; ie. you can (or perhaps cannot) drive your car; if so, no purchase of fuel is allowed. Turn off the main power breaker to the house. Must you live at your own place or go live with nearby family? Personally, I think the value of the test would be most useful if you have to shelter in place; perhaps simulating a massive snow dump where power is out for days and snow plows don't get out to clear roads. Finally, it might be useful for those participating to provide some feedback via a structured survey of 10-20 questions with 1-10 scale responses, to allow us to see how prepared we were collectively and what areas tended to be overlooked: water, food storage, animal care, communications, mental sanity, emotional stress, etc. I think it's a great idea to do this test, and we plan to invite a number of friends to partake as well. Inviting friends and family to do the test also is way to build community along a common experience and value system. Onward... eyes open... together, Bill Costantino
Thanks Bill. I like the ground rules part. Of course, people can elect to modify any way they wish...I'd hate for someone up north to have their pipes burst because of the test, for instance. But we'll put together a list of ground rules for everyone that people can then self-select from. Do all of them for the "hard core" rating, and fewer for the "better than 99% of your neighbors" rating. Also, collecting the after action reports will be critical for the test to be widely useful. I'd love for others to learn from my mistakes and oversights. Any other ideas from anyone for what should be on either list?

We have quite a few outages each year in our rural area, some lasting 7 days due to wires down but help to get the wire situation fixed does not come for days due to emergencies down in crowded Si Valley. So most of the time we are on our own.
Within 3 months after we moved to our house in 1985, there was a fire across the street from down wires on the community property. Our new puppy saved everyones lives by barking until we woke up. I called 911 but was unsure if it would really work well in a rural area. So I called every neighbor, the park ranger, and our volunteer fire dept in the neighborhood. Then we ran down with shovels and hoses to try to contain the fire until the fire dept came. By the way, the 911 system happened to be down when I called but no one told me that. This was the wake-up call that caused us to get going and prepare for emergencies.
We are all electric and have PV solar as well as thermal solar. We also have generators to keep our organic farm and orchards going with water. We have a back-up water system with a separate pump and 50k gallons of water in tanks plus a pond across the street. The pond is probably man made.
We also have a Tulakivi masonry stove that heats our house. It can use wood, pellets, or most anything else. It is not considered a wood stove so it is legal in California. The stove comes with a small oven above where one can make bread, pizza, and cook other foods. One can heat it separately to the desired temperature per the oven’s ourside gauge. I’ve used it. One has to be very careful because food cooks much, much quicker than one might expect. We also have a 3 burner propane stove that is portable.
What we’ve found is the most important part of all this is our communications infrastructure. Quite a few have ham radios (including me) and we’re trying to get all with GMRS radios that are preset to the right channels. Every month we conduct neighborhood phone trees. These come in handy and are used in emergencies to make sure everyone is ok and to make sure the GMRS radios work over our mountainous terrain.
Many of us are CERT trained.and understand that we need to make sure that our families are ok first. If so, then we can help those who are in need of help. As CERT teaches first make sure you and your family are ok, then branch out to your neighbors and then widen the circle to your community.
We also have community drills for various types of emergencies in our area, such as earthquakes, wildfires. We have 2 evac routes and are creating a third for the community. There also is emergency storage for medical needs. The Drs that live in our area and are part of emergency preparedness regularly recycle meds and add what is needed to the supply.
What exacerbates our situation when emergencies occur are the camping season in the parks around us. People coming to camp are not prepared for emergencies and in their panic could block evacuation routes, some only accessible via 4WD–a Prius or minivan has a low probability of making it and could block residents from getting out. This is why we are creating a 3rd evacuation route.
We continue to focus on our communications structure and community drills–especially important when camping is in season. Those of us who have lived in this rural area a long time know the importance of also having several forms of energy to draw from.
Thanks to all of you who contributed to the discussion on batteries, their usefulness, longevity, and care.

I have been evacuated twice for fire, and we have routine power outages, they are shorter now than they used to be, but still routine, so 2 days is nothing for us, but it is good to do, i remember talking family after hurricane sandy, and it turns out that they had never had a power outage over 2 hours before that happened, never in their lives. So, it is very valuable for people to do it as a drill and see what it is like. Used to be, we would get power out for 5 days, no water for most houses then as no one had water tanks or generators 15-20 years ago here, but power would go out when it was storming, so everyone put pots outside to catch rain water which was then used to flush toilets, cook, clean. Usually that also makes the roads dangerous or immpassable. Most if not all houses have wood stoves for main heat or backup heat. Most people ( not me) have propane stoves and can cook when the power is out. I would just put food to cook on the top of the wood stove, it is not a cooking stove, but I have cooked on it alot. Soups, oatmeal, eggs, whatever. Once the power went out when I was about to put pizza into the electric oven, pizza does not come out well on the wood stove. You cover it, it is edible.
Both of my fire evacuations ( I live in California), I was not even at home. People also forget that, anytime you leave you may never go back. You may only have what was in your car or what you can purchase. The bad, close one, we got back not long after the roads were closed, and it was far enough away that we were escorted back to the house and had the 5 minutes to grab stuff. You can do alot with 5 minutes if you are thoughful. Priority is on living things, people, animals. Second priority for me is photo albums, yes, you can have a memory stick elsewhere off site as a backup, but if you have time, the albums are nice. Since someone had already evacuated our large stock, the short period of time was more than enough. SInce it was dusk by then, to satisfy our young one, we grabbed chickens and shoved them into boxes, a neighbor had taken our carrier before we got back for their use it turned out, we took the laptop and photo albums, we put a few childrens toys/books in a pack. We left. This took 5 minutes. Because a friend had gone there right before us and captured the house cat. The one thing red cross will do is give you a toothbrush. We landed at someones house just for the night, then had to scatter all living things to seperate places, chickens here, cat there, human children at 2 seperate safe places, and me with nowhere. So, yes, I do know what it is like to be evacuated with nothing but the clothes on your back as my needs were not a priority. It does not bother me. Cat litter boxes absolutely sell out immediatelly in the surrounding areas, the drug store nicely gave me a cut off cardboard box and a plastic bag, and then I bought a bag of litter for that first night. I feel very fortunate that our fires were kept at bay so not too many houses burnt, and had enough notice to not have loss of life.
As far as the smeone pulling a gun on us scenario, yes, we have talked about this, we do not give in, in general, to people holding guns on us ( except on the street armed robbery where we will give up anything on us) We certainly do not change location or drive or do things at gun point. So, for your scenario, we would seek shelter and distance. Situational awareness at the time woudl dictate where to.
Yeah, I still camp rough, so I have practiced that recently.

If we did it again, and had time, I would take shelter of some type. Even a small tent and sleeping bag, people out of harms way were offering a spot in their backyard, which is very generous, or if need be, the county could open up a park or local campground, if you had something for shelter. Privacy and your own space is very, very nice. Shelters keep the lights on all night, hard to sleep. Grabbing a tent is quick. Later, we did by a tent trailer, and then have upgraded to a small super old, used, travel trailer, which is luxery evacuation material. If there is time to load the animals AND hook up the trailer. High likelyhood the trailer gets left, well, not high likelyhood, it can go either way. Often you are lucky and have part of a day to think about it.
But, if you have left with the clothes on your back, and make a safe town, hopefully you have a list of what to remember, and on that list should be, go straight to a store right then, and buy a tent and some cat litter.
The other thing to do is be prepared to help people if you are that safe town 50 miles away. FOr example, I can let someone who lost their home stay in the trailer while things get sorted out, or use my tent on my property until things get sorted out. SHelters are hard on people, we need to look out for one another.

If we did it again, and had time, I would take shelter of some type. Even a small tent and sleeping bag, people out of harms way were offering a spot in their backyard, which is very generous, or if need be, the county could open up a park or local campground, if you had something for shelter. Privacy and your own space is very, very nice. Shelters keep the lights on all night, hard to sleep. Grabbing a tent is quick. Later, we did by a tent trailer, and then have upgraded to a small super old, used, travel trailer, which is luxery evacuation material. If there is time to load the animals AND hook up the trailer. High likelyhood the trailer gets left, well, not high likelyhood, it can go either way. Often you are lucky and have part of a day to think about it.
But, if you have left with the clothes on your back, and make a safe town, hopefully you have a list of what to remember, and on that list should be, go straight to a store right then, and buy a tent and some cat litter.
The other thing to do is be prepared to help people if you are that safe town 50 miles away. FOr example, I can let someone who lost their home stay in the trailer while things get sorted out, or use my tent on my property until things get sorted out. SHelters are hard on people, we need to look out for one another.

jgrote mentioned a Tulikivi Masonry Stove. Apparently they have a metal firebox with a glass door, with soapstone surrounding them to store and radiate heat. This looks like an awesome heating system to place in the center of a home. (Pictures of how they are built by masons.) These look a bit similar to a Russian wood stove in design, but not so massive.

jgrote–can you please explain what hardware your ham radio network uses and how your communities communication tree is set up. I need to do something like this and have not waded in due to the complexity of the field. I would love help simplifiying this part of preparation.
Chris (and others)–Thank you so much specific products with links and pictures! Very helpful. I really appreciate the battery tutorial and the security door discussion (and thc0655) (do you have a link for the security door?).
A call for some more peoples experiences with specific body armor products. Who has tried these and has a specific recommendation or favorite?