How To Choose The Right Size Fiskars Axe

A quick and informative video on how to choose the right Fiskars splitting axe for your size and strength. Bigger is not always better. Happy chopping.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://peakprosperity.com/how-to-choose-the-right-size-fiskars-axe/

I had never thought about it that way. I just use my Fiskars becuase it doesn’t get stuck. Wedge heads do and regular axes just can’t take the abuse. I was suspicious of the plastic w/e handle. Three years no signs of breakage. I’ve used it chop everything including brake and oil lines.
It only needs to be sharp enough not to bounce when you hit the round.
I would very strongly advise getting a nylon belted tire cutting flaps in one side and nailing it to the top of your stump. Saves so much bending retrieving toppled rounds.

Some people really like Fiskars. I’m not a fan. For me their fatal flaw is in the handle. If you over strike and the handle breaks where do you get a replacement? Also, I’ve seen videos of that bouncey handle causing the axe to come back up and hit an inexperienced person in the mouth. If I overstrike and break my handle I can go to the hardware store and get another one. Worse case I can make one out of a piece of wood if I need to. At the end of the day don’t forget that an axe is a tool, a very dangerous tool. There are different axes for different jobs. Using the right tool for the job is inherently safer. Many people think they can just pick up an axe and use it. Using an axe properly takes practice and some instruction/technique. It is physically demanding work. So make sure that you’re up to the task. People often injure themselves with an axe when they get tired and want to keep going. Don’t be afraid to take a break, reassess your safety and your task.