Irene: Pop Quiz in Preparedness

Ready or not, if you live along the US east coast, Mother Nature has just announced a pop quiz. Subject: personal and community resiliency.

By all accounts, Hurricane Irene is a big storm. The latest projections have it making landfall at North Carolina tomorrow around mid-day. From there it's expected to march northward up the east coast, impacting a long stretch of the country inhabited by 65 million - 1 in 5 of the people in the country. Mandatory evacuations in several states have already been announced, including the lower-lying boroughs of Manhattan.

Our thoughts are with our with our readers, staff, and family living in Irene's path. We hope you're all able to take appropriate steps to ensure your safety as the storm passes over (and if you haven't, we certainly recommend doing so before Irene arrives).

And we're setting up this thread for folks to use - for sharing preparation guidance, reporting developments, asking advice, and providing emotional support -  in advance of and during the storm.

Many of you have been investing in resiliency for months or years now. Take this experience as an opportunity to identify where the weaker points in your preparations are. When the storm has passed and normal life resumes, you'll know better where to focus your energies.

Also note how your neighbors and community react. Who is well-prepared and who isn't? Which neighbors weather the storm with good attitiudes and which ones panic? Are your city's/town's services well-equipped to respond? Are there breakdowns in responsiveness due to lack of investment/infrastructure/expertise? All of this will provide good insight into what to expect from your community in future emergencies - and how you may need to amend your plans in anticipation of what *not* to count on next time.

And if you're one of those who has yet to begin preparing in earnest, two things:

• Read our What Should I Do? guide for direction on how best to focus your actions in the remaining time you have before Irene arrives in force. Prioritize securing sufficient water, food, and first-aid stores to last, should the storm knock out your power for two weeks.
  • Note how quickly store shelves deplete, as people rush to stock up in advance of the storm. Let this be a wake-up call to you. Emergencies, by definition, catch you unawares. As we enter a future where energy is less available to us, shortages of many kinds are likely to occur. When they do, they, too, will often arrive with little to no warning. Reduce your vulnerability by investing in your resiliency while you still have time to do so in a measured manner. And *don't* be one of those contributing to the risk of panic during an emergency by rushing out to stockpile at the last moment.

Again, we wish all of our east coast readers safety amidst whatever Mother Nature throws at you this weekend. We've taken steps to make sure this site remains updated and running, even if the power at Martenson Central goes out for prolonged periods.

As you're able, please let us know in the Comments section below how you're faring.

best,
Adam

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://peakprosperity.com/irene-pop-quiz-in-preparedness-2/

If anyone is unable to get on-line and wants to make a post, you may contact me in Colorado and I will make every effort to get your post up promptly.  I can be reached at 303-248-6677.  Obviously, you will at least need a phone that is operational, which may not be possible, but if you do, then I’m here.
Please take the storm seriously.  Katrina was not that long ago.  Remember those days.  Be prepared.

hugs … dons

Already have some interesting observations to pass along and will post our Lessons Learned as soon as we are stable here in Va Beach.  Long story short:  Whatever your plan "is" on paper, it breaks almost as soon as theory becomes practice.  You must factor flexibility into your plan.
The first rain bands are starting to track back from the northeast and the wind is picking up so we are about ready for this roller coaster to take off.  Things are going to get pretty interesting in the next 12-18 hours.

See you on the other side…

[quote=Dogs_In_A_Pile]Already have some interesting observations to pass along and will post our Lessons Learned as soon as we are stable here in Va Beach.  Long story short:  Whatever your plan "is" on paper, it breaks almost as soon as theory becomes practice.  You must factor flexibility into your plan.
The first rain bands are starting to track back from the northeast and the wind is picking up so we are about ready for this roller coaster to take off.  Things are going to get pretty interesting in the next 12-18 hours.
See you on the other side…
[/quote]
God bless Dogs. 

Good luck to you and your family, Dogs. Look forward to your post.We’re next Sunday AM.
CS

good luck chris, dogs et al that are in irene’s path.
one thing to think about is those of us not in irene’s path will too be inpacted,

insurance companies will have large losses so rates will be affected, reginal supply chains will shift and shortages of lumber, generators etc may be felt in other areas, as they are rushed to the east coast, the power grid could trip again and we in michigan could experience blacks out this weekend too.

again god bless

This is a great thread.  Not sure I like participating in it being right in the path of Irene, but here in the Northeast we don’t get many of these.  I have not been too concerned, partly because in Vermont, we are going to get a lot of rain and some high winds, but this is nothing compared to what we have watched happen in the southern states over the years.  A Category 5 storm this is not. 
Still, I agree with the point of the thread, and find myself thinking about the final hours before this thing arrives.  It is summer time, so we don’t have to worry about heat.  Both cars are full of gas.  We have plenty of food available for the next couple of weeks if we were to get it bad.  Candles, matches…

So I find myself going through a mental checklist with Irene as though she were much larger…

And sadly, I don’t think we are as prepared as we would need to be.

Preps to ponder I guess…

Jason

Hi again,
Just was thinking that I have a couple of friends down in the New York and New Jersey area, hope they are taking the necessary steps to get prepared. 

On another note, I see that Chris’s home is within the "Extreme" zone.  Not sure exactly which town it is, but I know he has mentioned a couple of times that he lives not far from VT Yankee, just over the border in Mass.  As I look at the Map, that "Extreme" zone does extend all the way into southern VT.

Hope everyone remains safe in your area.

Jason

…of the “extreme” zone (New Paltz, NY), but I’m pretty confident we’re going to get through fine. Of course, as Dogs noted and Robert Burns noted, the best-laid plans “gang aft agley.”. So far the only real twist is that my wife & I are visiting family in Philly. But after some blueberry pancakes it’s on the road. Home by 4 pm unless “gang” jumps up and bites us in the “aft.”. Good luck everybody! Viva – Sager

Well,
I live about 30-35 miles west - northwest from where Irene has made landfall on the outer banks.

From the info I can get from local sources, my town has limited flooding and some trees down, of course the power is out but the devastation has mainly been at the coast. Some low lying towns have reported 3+ feet of flooding in the streets.

I have prepared. Food, water, gen-set, plenty of fuel… personal protection devices.

I am watching the idiot "weathermen" standing outside in the middle of the blow, bracing against the wind. If they only knew how stupid they look.

It’s a little worse than the storm last year but not as bad as others have told me that they have weathered.

Cell service is still up and thats the reason I can report on the conditions. I am hoping that by the end of the day today I can venture out to assess the damage.

It is bad for some, worse for others, as for me and mine, we are all well at this point.

I live about 40 miles west of DC so we aren’t expecting too much. But I stopped by the grocery store last evening for my normal pick up of a few things. I should have been woken up when I couldn’t find a shopping cart. But not till I saw the decimated vegetable aisles did it occur to me that people around me where doing the pre-storm panic buy. Of course, five years ago that might have been me too.
My wife just asked me if we needed to do anything to be ready for power outages etc. It felt so good to say ''Nope -we are covered."

Just need to take in a few things from the yard and settle back.

Good luck to all of you in the direct path.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXiCXRjJfGE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl5tvSRQVDo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OouUgnDxW-c&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=NGLK0uz7sM0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=lrwT3lM2t58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=gm0ons_3oic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=vzJJHZD7r_0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=0GQC3HfMKf8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=irERsJ2Sfc0

Tornadoes popping up everywhere out of bands in the northeastern quadrant.  Four on the ground since 7:30 AM, we are under our 5th warning since then.  Everyone along the path to the north need to be ready for the possibility of tornadoes, especially if you are in the eastern semicircle.

Glad to see you’re still ok.  Are you getting heavy rain/flooding?  The msm is showing flooding in NC, and one is speculating on storm surging up the James R. and presumably Chesapeake Bay.  Is there any effect in those areas yet?
Best of luck.  Glad you’re prepped.

Doug

[quote=Doug]Glad to see you’re still ok.  Are you getting heavy rain/flooding?  The msm is showing flooding in NC, and one is speculating on storm surging up the James R. and presumably Chesapeake Bay.  Is there any effect in those areas yet?
Best of luck.  Glad you’re prepped.
Doug
[/quote]
Doug -
3.5 inches of rain since 7 AM, another 10-12 inches expected.  Lots of rainwater buildup on the roads - so far no reports of tidal surge flooding, but high tide is later this evening so that will change.  Wind has been 35-45 mph sustained as the bands roll through, we have been warned to expect 75-90 mph sustained when the eye gets here in about 4 hours.  One leak in our kitchen right now, not sure where it’s coming from, not too concerned about finding it yet. 
All of the local forecasts and news channels are talking about a 4-8 foot surge being pushed into the Bay and up the James.  Back Bay (just south of us) has spilled over and is pushing into the surrounding swamps marshes.
Unfortunately, we had our first storm related fatality last night - a surfer dude tourist was knocked off his feet in waist deep water by a 9 knot rip current and drowned.  He was 15 feet from the shore when he got caught up.  So much for shredding that last gnar.
Power has been flickering, expect to lose it later this afternoon.  Winds are starting to pick up and the house is making sounds I haven’t heard since Isabel in 2003.  All egress routes out of Virginia Beach are now closed - Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to teh Eastern Shore, Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel to Newport News/Hampton/Richmond, Monitor-Merrimac Bridge Tunnel to Newport News, James River Bridge to Jamestown, 460 into the Northern neck is flooded in various places and pretty much impassable.
Lots of broken tree branches blowing around right now, so far not too big, but we’ll see what starts blowing around in the next few hours.
Any word from robie yet?  He’s far enough to the west so all he’s may get is some rain and maybe a little wind.

Will probably have to move my fall garden back up the hill. If we get the 3+" of rain there’ll be a wash. Interestingly, our flock of Katahdins are grazing in the wind and rain as though it was perfectly normal.Robie( if any of yawl need to bug out send pm)

We’re getting the worst of the storm late tonight into tomorrow morning in Western CT. I’m very concerned about flooding. I’ve measured 11 inches of rain this month alone. The normal is 3.5 inches or so. If we get another 11, my basement may become an indoor pond. Hopefully the 2 sump pumps(electric and off the city water) work out. Glad the worst is happening during the day tomorrow. I’d have a sleepness night otherwise.
I’ve been talking to some folks who made it out to the grocery stores and they said they were crowded and being emptied out. No bottled water, no batteries, empty shelves.  No worries on that front for me. I loaded up my generator with fuel earlier in the week when the storm was first projected to come up this way and have extra fuel ready to go. I’m now hearing some gas stations are running out of fuel. No surprise there. Better to prepare early and often. I’ve mentioned to several of my neighbors that I have a generator and if they need anything, water, cooking, etc to come on over. Just bring extra fuel.

Stay safe everyone.

Not to sound too crazy, but I find myself a little bit jealous here on the hot, dry Gulf coast. There is just nothing like Mother Nature to put your life into perspective.
Stay safe guys and enjoy the break from the daily grind. 

All the best…Jeff

After the wind dies down the insurance adjusters will arrive.  As a victim of Hurricane Ike and the adjusters (many of whom are part time and/or beginners) I would advise you  to wait, if you can afford to, or take a partial payment and sign NO releases.  Wait until you know the true extent of your damages and the terms of your policy and get every penny you are entitled to.

Hopefuly this is the wake-up call for those whose spouses are not on board yet. After all, if blizzards and nor’easters knock out power and heat, if Hurricane Katrina can wreak havoc, tornadoes can rip through Alabama, and even East Coasters can get an earthquake like the one earlier this week, what exactly are they waiting for?!?
Poet