Japan vs. Newton (and Certain to Lose)

Conventional thinking and reporting has it that Japan is conducting a larger version of the same monetary experiment they’ve been running for about 15 years.  The implication here is that we can safely analyze what Japan is up to through the same monetary lens, as always, but with a slightly wider aperture.

By now, we are all familiar with the details.  Japan has initiated a program of monetary expansion that goes by the shorthand of 2-2-2.  In two years, the Bank of Japan (BoJ) will fully double the monetary base as it seeks a minimum of 2% inflation.

In the aftermath of this announcement, the yen weakened by a whopping 8% against the dollar, the Nikkei stock average vaulted up by roughly 10%, and the $10 trillion Japanese government bond market had to be frozen twice because of intense volatility. 

In truth, what Japan is running is as much a massive social experiment as it is a monetary experiment.  It has such enormous implications to everyone, but especially the Japanese people, that we should all be paying very close attention.

Creating Inflation

The basic formula for creating inflation involves more money and credit chasing too few goods.  Whether this is more goods (just not enough to match the growth in money and credit), the same amount of goods, or even fewer goods is not important.  What matters is that there is more money and credit than goods. 

On this front, so far, so good.  Japan is going to fully double (!) the monetary base in just two years.  In any tidy, mathematical world where economics is governed by linear, rational processes, this doubling of the monetary base would result in inflation.

Unfortunately, the real world is not very tidy. 

The monetary base is really an abstraction that refers to the amount of money that the banking system has available to pyramid into a greater number of loans.  As I am sure you have figured out by now, simply having more money in the system will not automatically result in more money chasing goods. 

In fact, without a good reason to borrow and then spend that money, those new funds may well just sit in the banking system chasing nothing related to real goods and services in the real economy.  Instead, that money will simply chase financial assets such as stocks and bonds.

The BoJ knows this, and yet their plan revolves around the idea that they can create inflation by simply doubling the monetary base.  Does this mean they are confident that there is pent-up consumer demand that was stymied by a lack of cheap funds from the banking system? 

The very short answer is ‘no.’  The BoJ knows perfectly well that more base money will do nothing to stimulate additional inflation via consumer demand, and they know this because Japan has had rock-bottom borrowing costs for a very long time.

The Real Target – Trust

So if the BoJ already knows that more base money will not lead to the buying of more goods and services, then what is their plan for stoking inflation?

The answer is both simple and somewhat upsetting: They are targeting people’s trust in the yen.  The idea is simple to understand, as inflation requires that people prefer to hold ‘things’ instead of money.  That is, the preference for money is diminished and the preference for real things, perhaps anything other than money, is elevated. 

If enough people decide that holding money is a losing proposition, they will favor consumption instead.  The way to get people to favor things instead of money is to debase their confidence in money.  So people’s trust in money has to be targeted, and this is, indeed, the BoJ’s target.

The sad part of this story is that the BoJ is seeking a 2% (minimum) inflation target under the theory that higher inflation will be good for the economy and therefore Japanese businesses and therefore Japan.

The problem is that there are multiple reasons that prices might rise.  Some of them are beneficial to these inflationary aims, and some of them are destructive.  For example, if prices rise because people lose confidence in the yen, and prices rise because imports cost more, then this simply hurts consumers at the benefit of exporters.

In short, there is no net societal gain.  The accounting identity in play here is that one entity’s loss is another entity’s gain.  If consumers and importers have to pay more for imported goods simply because the yen has fallen in value, then all we have to work out is who gains.  Exporters gain, by and large, as do other sectors.  

That’s just the way these things work – it is not possible to engineer a gain where everybody benefits because one sector’s deficit automatically becomes another sector’s gain.  It is simply Newtonian physics.  For every force, there is an equal and opposing force – only the forces are economic and involve gains and losses.

The form of inflation that Japan hopes to stoke involves the kind where money currently stored in Japanese bank accounts comes roaring out into the Japanese economy.  The BoJ is willing to harness the import/export losses as a useful means of convincing the local businesses and populace that the yen is just not a safe store of value.

So the basic plan that the BoJ has put into motion is to ruin local faith in the yen.  It is actively targeting trust, a necessary component of any fiat-based currency, under the twin theories that it knows what it is doing and will know when to stop.

The problems are that I am pretty sure they will succeed beyond their wildest hopes and that nobody at the BoJ has any experience in massive social engineering experiments. 

Conclusion

The BoJ is not just running the largest monetary experiment in their history, but also the largest social engineering experiment.

Trust is an essential component in every economy and for every currency.  The BoJ has just upped the ante by explicitly and specifically targeting trust in the yen. Perhaps they know what they are doing, and we certainly hope so, but I happen to think it is playing with fire.

There really aren’t any guidebooks for it to follow, and even if there were, it is doubtful that the economists in charge would have been required to study them during their academic training and political careers.

If the notion of your pilots flying blind bothers you, then you are probably not very happy or confident with the BoJ’s actions here.  Were I a Japanese citizen, I would immediately convert my yen holdings to something, anything, else.  Swiss francs, gold, dollars – anything (!) would be preferable to me here.

Once your central bank declares war on its own currency, this is just the prudent thing to do.

For everyone else, Japan is now the largest economic Petri dish on the planet and is well worth studying for what happens next.  The early results, with a manic pulse in the Nikkei coincident with arrhythmic gyrations in the Japanese government bond market, suggest that something has been shaken loose in Japan.

Trust, perhaps?

~ Chris Martenson

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://peakprosperity.com/japan-vs-newton-and-certain-to-lose/

This grand experiment by the Kuroda BoJ does have the feel of a watershed event in the great unravelling of the Bretton Woods II consensus, aka the IMS (international monetary system).  I suspect the lack of comments on CM's previous piece had something to do with it seeming like a 対岸の火事 or fire on the opposite riverbank matter.  Even Eric Janszen at iTuliup doesn't see it becoming an issue until the end of this decade and gently mocks Kyle Bass for taking on the BoJ's balance sheet with his bets on the JGB market.
Ambrose Evans-Pritchard argues that the BoJ has no alternative but I can't help but agree with CM that the BoJ's kamikaze monetary™ policy is a very ominous development.  Skin in the game or not, it left me feeling a little sick last Thursday about what it means for Japan, the Japanese and all the rest of us.

Thanks for keeping us posted on Japan.  I am stunned by the information presented; please allow me to re-cap to see if I understand. 
Very much like the US Japan is printing, printing, printing to the point they have  us beat as their effort is 300% larger than our printing endovors. Yikes!  If Japan ruins faith in the Yen then the Japanese people might figure that money in the bank itsn't doing them any good so why not spend it and, at least get something tangible for it. More spending will equal growth that's what banks and economists want. This is all a grand experiment and we all hope it works. I'n sure I left important details out but that's what stuck me.  Something not mentioned was Cyprus.  I would think there would be the suttle idea that no ones money is safe so spend it before a government takes it.  Guess the reason this is so interesting and so scary is because it might just be "there but the grace of God go (us), or us as in United States". 

AK Granny

Our thoughts are with you Debu.

Maybe they should call it 2-2-2-2, the last one being the potential interest rate on JGBs that the inflation causes!
DavidC

I support Japan's general approach, the stimulation of the base of their economy through stimulus to increase consumer spending, therefore employment, therefore growth. It's essentially the opposite of austerity and what I've been advocating since before 2008.
But what I don't understand after reading this article is why (if this is correct) stimulate through the banks, if they're concerned all the new money will get caught up in the financial sector? Why not just pay it to people directly, in the form of a universal cost of living allowance or similar?

I await elnightenment.

Well i for one am looking forward to the complete and utter failure of this. Failure is the precursor to change.

Let us give Japan a human face, lest we become too abstract.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZByYbYqjZ8

Its the central banking system that is inhuman. How many more casualties must there be of it?

As BoJ attempts to manipulate the "trust" or blood pressure in their system they are at high risk of developing ischemia or a lack of blood flow to critical areas within the far reaches of their monitary neuro networks.
Dang those cute youtube videos about kittens and puppies.

Japan is not the largest economic petri dish, they are a necessary organ and part of the greater organism that is humanity! What happens in the petri dish will not stay in the petri dish.

Rose

If prosperity and growth result from increasing the size of the monetary base, then do you think we could all be billionaires if the FED were to transfer that amount to our accounts?  Wouldn't that be stimulative?  Could we all go out and buy a ranch, a yacht, an airplane, etc.?  Does that make any sense to you?  What if the government gave everyone a job surfing the internet and paid $500K a year?  Would that work?Do you think that might have an unintended consequence?  Watch The Crash Course.  Answer your own question.  That's all the enlightenment you're going to get.

Rector

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY6IEpKRA7Y

[quote=Rector]If prosperity and growth result from increasing the size of the monetary base, then do you think we could all be billionaires if the FED were to transfer that amount to our accounts?  Wouldn't that be stimulative?  Could we all go out and buy a ranch, a yacht, an airplane, etc.?  Does that make any sense to you?  
What if the government gave everyone a job surfing the internet and paid $500K a year?  Would that work?Do you think that might have an unintended consequence?  Watch The Crash Course.  Answer your own question.  That's all the enlightenment you're going to get.

Rector
[/quote]
Kinda like "trust yourself".  This gets messy before it gets better.

Only consumption through SAVINGS and not debt is constructive.  Japan and the US will have to find out the hard way that you can't drink your way out of a drinking problem.  It's not a circle…

Kyle Bass Interview

A long, but very thought-provoking video. As I watched I found myself wondering, in a bit of  shock, really, "What if Kyle Bass has totally misunderstood Japan?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pLaqJgv1z4

It's Morris Berman talking for about an hour on how Japan may just be in the beginnings of a post-capitalist society. Some key points: the traditions of "group-think," frugality and an spartan aesthetic sense serve them well on such a path. It made me question my assumptions about Japan, and I hope others find it equally provocative.

Kyle Bass: “I am perplexed as to why gold is as low as it is”
One explanation may be that most people just are not interested in gold. We would rather use fiat currency for its optimum convenience. If that currency gets ruined eventually, we will just create a new one.

[quote=Woodman]Kyle Bass: "I am perplexed as to why gold is as low as it is" One explanation may be that most people just are not interested in gold. We would rather use fiat currency for its optimum convenience. If that currency gets ruined eventually, we will just create a new one.[/quote]Kyle Bass is obviously one of the sharpest knives in the drawer, right up there with Dr. Martenson. I rather doubt he's perplexed by anything economic in nature; more likely he's being polite or coy. I really, really doubt he's unaware  of the obvious manipulation that's going on in the PM  "market".

I agree completely with Berman that Japan is advanced and on the road to a sustainable new paradigm.  However, 1. most (ie  big city) Japanese are pessimistic and dont believe this themselves (because they are thinking like Americans and unlike their rural cousins  do not appreciate their society's  strong points) and 2.  Japan will go through wrenching changes to settle  their debt issue.  But this is a small thing compared to what they have endured and they will deal with an economic collapse much better than other countries. I lived in Japan 4 years during the bubble period and live their part time now.  I am building a home in a next paradigm remote island community there and invite others to join me.  If you are willing to live in a world without drugs, without guns, where you are expected to engage with and care about your neighbors, where the  people trust, love and  adore their federal government much, much, much less than Americans do but instead have the best reasons historically to avoid a  despotic central government, and where the population is declining and good agriculltural land readily available,  where the local  government strongly will help you get and use agriculture land, and where the infrastructure is the best in the world, then please consider rural Japan. There is more to life than worship of an exponentially increasing / consuming economy (as members of this blog  well know), rural denizens of Japan have already figured this out, and are quietly and humbly progressing in the next paradigm now.

Thank you for the video. It's uplifting. Bass and Berman may both be right, but each is relating to different groups of people, Bass to those Japanese who have embraced capitalism, and Berman to those who have not and moved on.  What I find interesting about the video is his description of how the Japanese traditional culture never really fit the growth model of capitalism, and that their strong traditions and belief structure will be their cushion. Thanks for sharing.