Mass Layoffs Are Back. Are You At Risk?

Actually, it’s not overly simplistic. Go back and read what I wrote … carefully. As you probably are aware, reduced cerebral blood flow can affect reading comprehension. You’ll see I addressed the issue and, in fact, what you wrote corroborated what I said. Virtually all the things you mentioned can be tested for and measured, IF THE RIGHT THINGS ARE DONE. You’re an engineer. Isn’t a large part of what you do testing and measurement? I come from an extended family of a large number of engineers (and, in fact, I seriously considered electronic engineering as a career at one time). Actually, a couple of cousins are literally rocket scientists. You don’t launch a rocket to the moon (one cousin) and you don’t launch a Harpoon missile (another cousin) without some testing and measurement being done. Biological systems have greater complexity but still operate according to science, not magic or alchemy. As such, they are subject to testing and measurement and other scientific methodologies. You are a case of one. One the other hand, I’ve seen many hundreds of cases over my lifetime. And as I’ve mentioned in the past, my specialty involved physical musculoskeletal problems, not mental or neurological problems. I don’t claim any expertise with those although I have a passing knowledge. Just like I told the other person, we have different perspectives. You can’t generalize your individual experience to the broader population of either patients or health care providers.
So, a key question, has anyone told you how you can improve your cerebral blood flow? My guess is no. But there are such strategies. Are you interested or do you think such things are impossible?

What can one do to improve cerebral blood flow?

There are things and I do them, thus I can drive short distances int eh daytime, for example.

As you say, these are not in your field. SO, you should not generalize based on your field.

The reality is that they DO NOT test for these things. ANd, not all cognitive problems are testable.

The disability doctors do not order tests for brain function, at all. They spend 5 minutes asking some questions

Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension

But, a problem with many herbs is that then, for me, it lowers blood pressure even further, which leads to its own issues. Basically, it doesnt work for everyone, and it doesnt make it “all better” but it may be able to help somewhat. If you realy need more info on this as it relates to Lyme, you can message me

And I’ll let you know.

Actually, I’m not generalizing based on my field so your statement is a non sequitur. Certain problems may not be my specialty but it doesn’t mean I’m not cognizant of them and their solutions. For example, I’m not a financial advisor or financial professional of any type but I do my own investment and I do it very successfully.field. I have a high IQ as well and can figure out almost anything I put my mind to.
When you say “they do not test for these things”, who is they? Because these things can most definitely be tested for. And if the correct tests are administered in the correct circumstance and environment, almost every cognitive problem can be detected so you are in error in your understanding.
I would agree that most disability doctors are not very thorough and I would not want to be treated by the vast majority of them. And I’m not a disability doctor or even an M.D. But there are doctors that DO test for brain function. You proved that by finding one. Just because one doesn’t find them or go to them, doesn’t mean they don’t exist. One also has to remember that diagnosis and treatment is a human process and as such, it’s imperfect. That is true of anything and everything that humans do.
With regards to my reading comprehension statement, it’s fine but at age 66, I know my memory is not quite what it used to be. But I truly think you do have a problem and it can be tested for. If you’re telling me that your cerebral blood flow is compromised and your cognitive function is affected but somehow your reading comprehension function has been completely spared, I think that’s unlikely … possible, but very unlikely.
Herbs work through pharmaceutical action, not nutritive action, and as such, they may provide part of the answer but not the full answer. And if they’re lowering blood pressure, they’re probably not going to be of much help. There are, however, physical and nutritive measures that can benefit you. But you have to do them unfailingly and over a long period of time. There is no quick fix. Interested?
Getting back to disability, one does not have to be perfect to work. One can work with a certain degree of disability. As I said, MINDSET is everything. All too many people on disability have a dis-abling mindset rather than an en-abling mindset.
In all areas of human characteristics and behavior, there is a spectrum. For example, there is a spectrum of will and tenacity. There are those who never give up and there are those who very easily give up and there are those in-between. The ones who never give up very rarely go on disability. Even if they are majorly messed up, they just don’t view themselves as disabled. They persist and persevere, regardless of their problems. They are tough and have grit. Most people on disability have something wrong them, granted. But having something wrong doesn’t necessarily preclude one from work. Individuals with Down syndrome work. Individuals with CP work. Spinal cord injured, amputees, and neurologically impaired work. People with back pain, neck pain, and other pain work. But when I see someone get full disability because they have thumb pain (yes, I’ve seen that), that’s just wrong.
Getting back to the issue of this thread, to overcome the adversity of a lay-off requires all the things I mentioned and more … will, tenacity, grit, determination, daily forward progress (in some way, shape, or form), relentless positive mindset, etc. It’s a mental game (like almost everything at life) and mastering that game will, sooner or later, lead to success. It ultimately comes down to a choice. Am I going to roll over and figuratively die or am I going to languish in the middle with some expenditure of time and effort (but not 100%) or am I going to go out and kick ass doing whatever it takes for as long as it takes until I succeed. One can’t let circumstances dictate one’s mindset.

A layoff is probably the most likely disaster any of us faces, much more likely than an EMP attack or the complete collapse of the U.S. dollar (these examples are not completely unlikely; however, mass layoffs have a much greater chance of happening than one of those scenarios). It is worth serious discussion and consideration here. I am surprised that we’re taking the opportunity to snipe at one another about something tangentially related to the topic at hand.
As far as mass layoffs go, I’ve been through two, and they were unpleasant. Thankfully, I have learned from those experiences and have managed through a combination of luck and skill (mostly luck) to be positioned to deal with one much better. I have a few thoughts:

1. Build as much social capital as possible. Never hesitate to help a friend or neighbor, especially if there is a chance that he or she may return the favor when you need it.
  2. If your income grows over time, keep your spending flat or as flat as possible. Then, do No. 3 or No. 4.
  3. Reduce debt while you're still employed, especially consumer debt. During a layoff, cash flow is king.
  4. Save an emergency fund. (Obviously, this might in conflict with No. 1; each situation is unique and deserves its own balance.)
  5. Try to maintain more than one income stream per household in more than one industry.
These are general guidelines, though. If there are two lessons that I have learned about personal finance, it's that every situation is unique and that only the people closely involved really have the knowledge to make suitable choices. Those, and that money only goes so far. What really matters is people.

No. 4 should read as follows: Save an emergency fund. (Obviously, this might in conflict with No. 3; each situation is unique and deserves its own balance.)
My apologies.