Michael Shuman: The Benefits of Deploying Investment Capital Locally Vs Wall Street

The Federal Reserve and other central planners have worked overtime to lead the world back to "recovery" from the depths of the 2008 financial crisis. Using one of their main signaling indicators, they've succeeded: stock market indices are hovering near all-time highs.

But, as has been often discussed here, are we really better off for it?

Recent survey data from Bloomberg show that 4 out of 5 Americans don't feel any more financially secure as a result of the stock market rescue. 62% believe the country is headed in the wrong direction:

“I keep hearing in the news and reading in the paper that it’s getting better,” said Patricia Picerno, 52, of Sandy Hook, Connecticut. “That’s for people who have money; for the person in the middle who doesn’t have any money, I don’t think it’s changed at all.”

"I don't think there’s anything real behind it,” said David Skelly, 47, a policeman in Kankakee, Illinois. “It’s just an artificial boom.”

Such results communicate a profound and deep mistrust of Wall Street, and deservedly so. By failing to hold Wall Street even marginally accountable for its financial and sometimes criminal sins, the current and prior administrations have aided and abetted the shredding of market and political trust in America.

So what can be done about the fact that investing with Wall Street is sometimes a sucker’s game in which we have little or no trust? How do we find hope and meaning in a world where the powerful look out for themselves first, second, and always?

In this week's podcast, Chris talks with Michael Shuman, author of Local Dollars Local Sense: How To Move Your Money From Wall Street to Main Street & Achieve Real Prosperity. Shuman has written eight books on community economics and believes that deploying your investment capital locally offers the best financial return prospects vs investing it in traditional stocks and bonds -- plus yields an additional valuable community resilience multiplier that Wall Street doesn't:

Let’s set aside the strange and mystical qualities of money that are printed out of the Federal Reserve and are kind of the magic wand of the national government. But at the local level, there are real resources—real wealth, real economic activities that are taking place—and people are using that money in terms of buy things from those businesses and invest in those businesses. The more that people can localize their transactions and keep their money circulating within their communities, while they can never completely disconnect from the Rube Goldberg machine of the global economy, they can insulate themselves (...)

A lot of the work that I do is on the economic virtues of locally owned business. And we now have a really huge body of evidence that communities with the high density of locally owned businesses prosper. There was nice regression analysis published in the Harvard Business Review in the summer of 2010 that showed that in communities with a lot of local businesses, you had the highest probability of per capital job growth. We have a study that came out of the Federal Reserve in Atlanta last September looking at all counties in the United States showing that those counties with the highest likelihood of finding a local business have the highest per capita income group and the highest probability of eradicating poverty. So these are all, I think, very powerful data that ought to lead one into—all things being equal—to put your money into a local business.

There is a widespread misunderstanding that local small business is not very profitable. And in point of fact, we know from statistical abstract in the US that sole proprietorships are three times as profitable as C corps with partnerships falling in between. And if you look at the latest data in Canada, which is much more refined, it shows that the most profitable companies in Canada have ten to twenty employees and they have about double the profitability of the firms that are being traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange where everyone has their money. So if we can figure out a way to get investment in local businesses right, this is where people are going to get the best rates of return. 

Click the play button below to listen to Chris' interview with Michael Shuman (43m:48s):

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://peakprosperity.com/michael-shuman-the-benefits-of-deploying-investment-capital-locally-vs-wall-street/

Chris …could you drill down more into this idea of local development and perhaps interview Bruce Seifer and those who have made Burlington a success story?   "What I attribute Burlington’s success to is that for the last twenty-five years, their economic development team, led in part by a fellow named Bruce Seifer, focused not on the attraction of global companies but focused instead on the nurturing of local business and local entrepreneurship."
My other takeaway from this piece is that I'm going to walk into the 4 small banks in the town nearby and interview the presidents. First I'll see if they will even talk to me, and then find out how they invest.  Should be enlightening. 

i'm long time farmer with alot of local business ideas.
robie

Will update when he responds. 

Bruce is in. I'll be working with him over the next day or two to book him as a podcast guest for sometime in April.

I really enjoyed this interview.  I found this part to be especially encouraging:

So if I was to put $1,000 into energy efficiency rather than my 401K, could I get a $150 rate of return? Absolutely. It would be a simple task to get a $150 savings on your energy bill for a $1,000 investment. You could put $1,000 into a bicycle and if you could save yourself gas expenses of $150 a year, it would be worthwhile making it. In fact, you would probably save that gas in a month. If you put, say, that money into a great coffeemaker, you could prevent yourself from spending the money on one Starbucks latte a week and get a better rate of return.
I don't own land, as I am in a quasi-rental situation connected with my workplace.  The great thing about this is that it allows my wife and I to save a lot more than if we had to pay rent privately.  But, we don't want to put all of our savings into paper financial instruments, that's for sure.  And, as of now, we don't have an opportunity to invest in primary and secondary wealth in the form of a homestead, which is why this interview was so encouraging.

Making small investments that allow us to spend less can make a HUGE difference for people that need to watch their monthly budget pretty carefully.

For example, ten years ago, I bought a pair of electric clippers, in order to buzz my hair, which - in spite of my wife's comments - is how I've cut my hair since I was in high school.  I think it cost less than $20 at the time, and getting my hair buzzed once at the nearest barber here in Switzerland would cost me over $25 at a minimum - possibly much more.  What a massive ROI that little investment produced, although my wife would say that there is certainly an esthetic cost; oh well…

As of now, we don't own a car, but once every month or two, we rent one from the local garage.  It's great because there's no overhead such as insurance, registration fees, inspection fees (which are massive here, btw), etc.  Sure, train tickets are sometimes expensive, but even with that expense rolled in, we are still spending much less on transportation annually than we would if we had a car and paid gas + car overhead.  We set our transport savings to the side because if we have kids someday then we are likely to buy a modest used car, and we should be in a position to do that debt-free and with some of the overhead costs already saved as well.  We're definitely not in a mindset where we have to buy a shiny new car, which depreciates substantially the moment it's driven off the lot. 

Just last week, I finalized our membership in a solar power cooperative here in our area.  I've been going to meetings about this for over a year, and now our cooperative has officially approved the plan and financed 95% of it.  I bought one share for approximately $1100 and the expected - but not guaranteed - dividend is a very modest 3% per year.  While 3% might sound like a pretty good dividend for a stock, the life of this project is assumed to be only 25 years, and there are all sorts of risks, such as the fact that the revenue assumptions are based on elevated prices for kilowatt hours by businesses that have pledged to buy a certain percentage of their electricity from renewable sources.  So, I'm not really crazy about the risk return ratio.  It's possible for me to sell my share, but if I don't sell it, then this doesn't seem to be a profitable investment, unless the price of electricity rises significantly and allows for a much bigger dividend.

Still, this 3% per year beats the almost non-existent interest rate on savings accounts offered by the bank here in town.   Even though I have a lot of concerns and questions about this investment, both on a technical level and on a governance level, I never hesitated in terms of commitment because it's a small enough amount of money that even if it turns out to be a loss, I will have learned a lot more about local investment, solar power, and how well or poorly cooperatives work here.  Fairly soon, I plan to post in more detail about this elsewhere at PP, in hopes of getting some feedback and ideas from other members of solar power coops, or individual owners of PV solar.

Also, this is as much about investing in social capital for me as it is about hoping for a financial gain.  One of the best things about the cooperative is that it gets me more integrated into a constructive project in the community, and helps me meet people here in town that have a similar vision regarding concrete action towards a different type of future.  While it seems to me that such cooperatives also need generate at least a little bit of financial profit to be viable models, I'm happy to participate in an early experiment in the hopes that we'll eventually get it right.

Cheers,

Hugh

[quote=HughK]

Just last week, I finalized our membership in a solar power cooperative here in our area.  I've been going to meetings about this for over a year, and now our cooperative has officially approved the plan and financed 95% of it.  I bought one share for approximately $1100 and the expected - but not guaranteed - dividend is a very modest 3% per year.  While 3% might sound like a pretty good dividend for a stock, the life of this project is assumed to be only 25 years, and there are all sorts of risks, such as the fact that the revenue assumptions are based on elevated prices for kilowatt hours by businesses that have pledged to buy a certain percentage of their electricity from renewable sources.  So, I'm not really crazy about the risk return ratio.  It's possible for me to sell my share, but if I don't sell it, then this doesn't seem to be a profitable investment, unless the price of electricity rises significantly and allows for a much bigger dividend.

Cheers, Hugh [/quote] How does the coop work? Is it part of the local utility? or an independent entity?  What is the total project cost? Also total KWH? Any details would be appreciated. Thanks, Mark

HughK-I'm a huge fan of the not-car investment.  Several years ago I did the math - I had a fully-paid-for car and I was living in a big city and I calculated it probably cost me (all in) about $500/month just to keep the beast on the road (reg, insurance, gas, fixing it, tickets, etc).  More if I had a garage.
So I chose to buy a light motorcycle instead.  The bike cost $3000 (used), it was easy to park, cheap on gas, cheap to insure, and if I needed a car for big shopping trips, there was always Zipcar which I did use a few times a month.  And in bad weather - I walked, or took the bus.
That bike gave me $6,000 tax free every year.  Did I mention it was tax free?  Went right into savings.  Good luck finding that kind of return year in, year out.
Not spending money on stupidly expensive consumer products is my favorite investment of all.

Hi Mark and all,OK, I posted more info on this solar power cooperative that I'm a part of here:
Solar power cooperatives
I'd be grateful for anyone who can share experience regarding other solar PV coops, or private PV power stations.
Thanks for your interest!
Hugh

Hi Dave,Do you know about the Elio Motors car ? Pretty good trade-off between a car and a motorcycle.  84mpg, made in the USA and you can get it for $6,800.
Fred

May I just say that hearing someone else spout my retirement philosophy is very empowering? And I don't just mean paying off debt and your home; I mean the "investments" in your children's homes and energy efficiency. It's nice to know that someone else considers my retirement investments legitimate. Most folks just think I was nuts to pay the early withdrawal penalty on my 401K and blow it on a big garden, a woodstove, a well, and severe energy efficiency.
Not all of those who raid their retirement funds are daft.

[quote=Wendy S. Delmater]May I just say that hearing someone else spout my retirement philosophy is very empowering? And I don't just mean paying off debt and your home; I mean the "investments" in your children's homes and energy efficiency. It's nice to know that someone else considers my retirement investments legitimate. Most folks just think I was nuts to pay the early withdrawal penalty on my 401K and blow it on a big garden, a woodstove, a well, and severe energy efficiency.
Not all of those who raid their retirement funds are daft.
[/quote]
I must have my wife listen to this podcast. I want to "raid" my 401K and rid the final consumer (car) debt that we have. She thinks I'm nuts and says, "what will we do when we are old and can't work anymore?"
That is the only reason that I haven't done anything… until now. 
In real terms, the 401K is losing ground every year. I am paying interest on a loan(s) that cost me every month.

As much debate that is going on over in other podcast threads, I think this one is being over shadowed.
Every, and I mean every financial planner that I have had a "sit down" with over the years, say to become debt free FIRST then invest - making exactly the same points being made by Michael in the podcast. In fact even his tone of voice sounded like one guy I talked to. Chris had to pull out of him about talking about community investment. I get that's where Chris wanted to go. But I think Michael showed ways that folks needed to take first. In the prepared section Chris talks about ridding one's personal debt as a way to begin a resilient life.
Simply, there is NO "good" debt. There is "not so bad" debt but no such thing as "good debt." Not so bad debt being mortgage debt if properly structured and not if it is used to finance consumer goods (like a car). In business there is "not so bad" debt if it is used to make the business more resilient. Borrowing to make payroll is like putting a dinner at a restaurant on a credit card.

Investing In Precious Metals

Good post. Diversifying your investment portfolio with assets like gold, silver, platinum, or palladium can be a smart move. However, it’s equally vital to have secure storage options for physical gold, for instance. This ensures that your investments remain safe and accessible. Exploring reputable platforms that offer secure storage solutions and insights into investing in precious metals, like Gold IRA Services, can be a great starting point. Their expertise in precious metal IRAs and knowledge about secure storage options from this page can guide your investment decisions effectively.