Most Overlooked Preps for Long Emergencies

It can be done, using toy caps or strike-anywhere match tips. There is a kit sold for reloading .22LR or any primer, that contains potassium chlorate and other powders to mix. Potassium chlorate is easily made by adding potassium chloride (salt substitute) to boiled bleach (produces sodium chlorate); the KClO3 precipitates. Or you can generate it from potassium chloride in your colloidal silver electrolysis jar.
I have the sharpshooter powders and have tried repriming .22LR, 12ga, and .45 colt. It is tedious and only about 50% success rate in the .22, but seems reliable in the others. Best used for practice to extend the manufactured primer.
Some links and interesting discussion is here
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?389169-potassium-chrorate

1 Like

In the past year I’ve become a big fan of the eco-friendly laundry sheets such as Earth Breeze or TruEarth (and there are many other brands). They are lightweight, reasonable price and don’t take up much space. They clean just as well as other brand in big plastic jugs.

2 Likes

Wow. Lots to think about here.
This is why we need a community–I remembered the propane and bug spray and you have the bungee cords and hand soap

I really second the recommendation for antifungals (jock itch) cream like Lotrimin (clotrimazole). Works for skin fungi and yeast.
Diflucan for yeast is great.
Itchy rashes (poison oak, fungi, jock itch, eczema, bug bites, chiggers, bad diaper rash in babies
) can be hell. Triamcinolone Cream is cheap, generic and available in big jars 454 grams. Get 2 or 3 jars. (Or one with several refills–the refill the refills
)

Tell your doctor that you are putting together a kit of medicines for a “survival community” or for a “remote wilderness vacation cabin” where a nurse will be dispensing the medicine.
Most doctors will go along with this.

5 Likes

Having a way to filter water is crucial, if your water source is compromised during an emergency. Would make an awesome Christmas gift this year!
We bought a Berkey and use it everyday to filter our well water.

4 Likes

Getting into poison ivy/oak can cause major unhappiness. Good to have treatments available. Steroid creams can help a little. Prednisone pills can work wonders
.one thing I always have a supply of for a variety of things. Also, this stuff is amazing. It’s expensive, but amazing.
https://www.amazon.com/ZANFEL-Poison-Ivy-Sumac-Wash/dp/B000GCPWUU/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?crid=JVJXOQF15LW7&keywords=poison+ivy&qid=1639379248&sprefix=poison+ivy%2Caps%2C80&sr=8-10
Also, good to have all sorts of pest control for rodents, insects, etc.

3 Likes

Some portion of those bazillion rounds of NATO influence are likely to end up in someone you love. Having stuff is great, having knowledge can save lives. https://www.stopthebleed.org/training
Aloha, Steve

4 Likes

I’m not an expert hunter (I do it more for food than fun) but I get moose or caribou more years than not. I never go through more than one 20 round box of ammo in a given year. 6 or 7 rounds at the range to see that I’m still sighted in, especially if I’m using different ammo. And so far never more than 1 or 2 shots for game.
Hunting is a great way to get food and usually amazing time with a friend or two, but my assumption is that if we ever hit WROL/SHTF, I will no longer be able to hunt. Even here in Fairbanks, Alaska the population pressure is just too great; the game would be gone within days. The upside would be that I’d never have to worry about a moose wandering into my garden again.
Of course you can shoot squirrels or small game but 
 we used to let the neighborhood kids shoot squirrels, but with the caveat that they had to cook and eat them. They stopped pretty quickly. Not much meat on a squirrel.
Also, silky saws are amazing, cut twice as fast as any other hand saw I’ve used and don’t seem to get dull (so far). Have bought a few and love them, very much worth the money.

4 Likes

Cooked carrots can be used to fill out dog food. Might be useful once beans and rice are no longer available, and carrots you can grow.

Please look up the definition of Operational Security. Or maybe you’ve heard the phrase “name, rank, SSN only”. I have nothing and I am not prepared. I don’t even know what prepping is. Remember, the internet is forever. Metadata been around long time. When Facesnapsuck first came out I told my family and friends it was a setup. Hmmmm. I know nothing. I have nothing.

11 Likes

I have 50 lbs of salt on hand . Salt and soda make a great tooth cleaner. I never could understand why toothpaste is sweet and tastes like candy.

2 Likes

Having both sodium chloride and a mineral rich salt is good. I keep both Kosher and Redmond’s RealSalt. Those blocks of Himalayan salt are sometimes found pretty cheap.
Pink salt/Prague Powder #1 is also needed for curing. Fun note: “No nitrate added” meats have more nitrates than their conventional counterparts.
A big box of disposable razors.
A hidden stash of your partner’s and your favorite scent, perfume after shave
A copy of Cody Lundin’s When All Hell Breaks Loose is a very good reference book.

4 Likes

I prefer the term dedicated hobbyist.

7 Likes

It depends. I have been advised by one of the nation’s top firearms instructors that the Duracell 2032s generally endure the battering recoil for certain rifle optics better than other brands.

The first survivor of this past weekend’s Mayfield KY tornado who I saw interviewed emphasized that what was left of his small town had no water service. This means no drinking water and no sanitation.
I live in tornado alley and have all of my life. This man’s comments impressed upon me the necessity of keeping back-up supplies, including back-up sanitation, in the basement/tornado shelter. This is as simple as a 5 gal. bucket (for each family member) with a camping toilet lid and some disposable camping toilet bags, toilet paper, personal wipes, Clorox or similar wipes.
Additionally, at least one full week of water supply (At least 1 gal./person/day should be kept in this same basement/tornado shelter area.
Consider also keeping no less than one full change of cloths, including shoes/boots (with extra underwear and socks) and personal hygiene items in a back-pack in this shelter and a copy of important personal documents there as well.
When it comes to longer-term sanitation planning, I suggest those in urban & suburban areas, in addition to the camping toilets, plan for at least 1 large, lidded trash can on wheels/person to dump the waste into, These are stackable and take up minimal storage space. Similarly, a large compressed cube of pine shavings to use to cover the waste as a compost toilet as camping waste bags are not a longer term solution. After a full year Of sitting, this waste can be safely dumped without the fear of contributing to the spread of disease.

• It is best to not use these compost toilet set-ups for urination if at all possible, but only fecal and composting material. The ammonia from ruin adds unnecessary fluid and stink to the mix. In the longer term it is best to collect urine for fertilization of food crops.

2 Likes

Concur, Dryam2000, about the Zanfel. Totally works. Expensive though.
a cheap and equally effective remedy that works on the same principle (abrasive with surfactant) is one of those green scrubbing pads and Dawn. Hot, hot water to scrub, cold to rinse. You’ll be able to sleep without itch for most of the night. Second round of therapy usually finishes the problem. Certainly the third. (I’ve had lots of experience with PI).
for really bad reactions, however, I fear only a steroid shot will do.
white oak bark helps with the itch also. A tea made of it and applied cold will temporarily stop the discomfort.

Cooked carrots can be used to fill out dog food. Might be useful once beans and rice are no longer available, and carrots you can grow.
Just a note: you can grow rice, too. First off, there's Duborskian rice, an "upland" or "dry" rice that does not require a paddy. Second, I've heard that a paddy is not really essential for any rice; that a primary benefit of paddies is preventing weed pressure. I have not tested the idea that any rice will grow if cultivated like any grain or cereal, but I'm going to test a bit this summer. Alongside my Duborskian rice.
2 Likes

Faraday bags for EMP / RFID protection:
From Arthur Bradley’s site:
https://disasterpreparer.com/product/emp-bags/
or
https://shop.faradaydefense.com/

4 Likes

thc0655, agree on your calculations and use of the correct tool for the various situations.
Over the years I have found using Shooting Performance Systems very helpful for saving training ammo (which can also save lives if carry ammo is depleted). I am not implying this technology replace live training but it certainly helps work on weaknesses at very low cost. I favor the MantisX applications in training for each of my weapons that are safe to dry-fire. This technology is also great with live-fire. For pistols, rifles, shotguns, and bows (archery) you get reliable performance measurements, like recoil, holster draw, and accuracy analytics specific to the weapon. MantisX10 has built-in Bluetooth technology, pairs with smartphone, feedback is real-time. Performance increases or decreases are easily traceable.
There are other manufacturers out there but I found MantisX10 Elite is the best.
Turn your family room, backyard, or garage into your private target range ?
https://mantisx.com/products/mantis-x10-elite

3 Likes

Re: Scary Alkaline batteries. You can reverse the destruction with a swab soaked in a solution of 1/2 tsp baking soda in 1/4c water. Works every time.

2 Likes

I both like and use the MantisX 10
Review By ‘Sootch’ for those not acquainted with the system: https://youtu.be/AscjWzX_C2g

1 Like