Paul Brodsky: Central Banks are Nearing the 'Inflate or Die' Stage

"It's impossible to have a political solution to a balance sheet problem" says Paul Brodsky, bond market expert and co-founder of QB Asset Management.

The world has simply gotten itself into too much debt. There are creditors that expect to be paid, and debtors that are having an increasingly difficult time making their coupon payments. No amount of political or policy intervention is going to change that reality. (Unless a global "debt jubilee" transpires, which Paul thinks is unlikely).

Looking at the global monetary base, Paul sees it dwarfed by the staggering amount of debts that need to be repaid or serviced. The reckless use of leverage has resulted in a chasm between total credit and the money that can service it.

So how will this debt overhang be resolved?

Central bank money printing -- and lots of it -- thinks Paul.

At this point, the danger posed by the instability of our monetary and fiscal house of cards is so great that trying to time an investment program to when this avalanche of printing will occur is too risky, in Paul's opinion. It's time to shift your remaining capital into hard assets and sit on the sidelines to watch the carnage play out.

On The Imbalance Between Debts and Money Supply

We are seeing -- not only in the US but in Europe and in Asia, as well -- separating bank assets and base money. Base money is comprised of currency in circulation plus bank reserves that are held at central banks -- at the Fed or that is at the ECB, the Bank of Japan, so on and so forth. This is how the global economy rolls, as they say.

Bank assets are loans mostly. And the amounts globally are staggering: something approaching $100 trillion in global bank assets. And in the US we think that is somewhere around $20 trillion held in the US and abroad. And the numbers for the monetary base are much, much lower. Specifically in bank reserves -- that is the amount of reserves that are collateralizing, if you will, all of those $100 trillion in bank assets -- something about $8.5 to $9 trillion dollars. So that gives you a sense of perspective as to how much the global banking system is leverage. We are in a baseless monetary system

The marketplace forces deleveraging, and there are two ways to deleverage. One is to let credit deteriorate on its own in the marketplace. And the other is to manufacture new currency or bank reserves. Those are the only two ways to deleverage a balance sheet.

What policy makers do not want to see is bank asset deterioration. That would lead to all sorts of bad things. You would see banks fail. You would see bank systems fail. You would see debtors fail and it would just feed on itself in an accelerating fashion. And so monetary policy makers have no choice but to deleverage in the other way, which is to colloquially print money; to manufacture electronic credits and call them bank reserves.

And to the degree that that extends into the private sector where debtors begin to fail en masse, that would increase failures of the bank assets in turn. And it would end the mortgage bond securities market, for example, and the leveraged loan markets, and end the private sector shadow banking system. So it does not work for anybody to have credit deteriorate. The only way to deleverage an economy is as we are saying: to create new base money with which to do it.

On The Wisdom of Owning Gold & Hard Assets

The point here is you can either monetize debt or you can monetize (sell) assets. Or you revalue an asset on the balance sheet already of the Treasury or the Fed. And obviously that asset, we think, is gold. And that is the monetary asset that they have always reverted in the past. And that is the one we think that currencies, currently baseless currencies will be devalued against.

And so that we think is the mechanism that is ultimately going to play out whether in the marketplace or through some policy administered devaluation. Currencies are going to be devalued and that is where we sit right now. Timing this is impossible. We think the amount it would have to be devalued by, getting back to your original question, has got to be the amount of or something close to the amount of the gap (tens of US$ trillions) between bank assets and bank reserves. So it is a significant number.

And Treasury ministries, being the ultimate issuers of obligors on the hook for currency repayment, we see them as lending the gold to their central banks so that this mechanism, this asset monetization devaluation can take place. And so we think it is the only way out ultimately. And we will see that happen either in the marketplace or through proclamation at some point. And it is really what has to happen.

And so there is no physical limitation on the amount of currency that central banks may manufacture. And so this is a completely viable way to deleverage the system -- by purely destroying the currency that we have. It is debt currency, so we are going to destroy the debt in real terms behind them but not destroy them in nominal terms. That is the net effect of all this.

Click the play button below to listen to Chris' interview with Paul Brodsky (44m:37s):

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://peakprosperity.com/paul-brodsky-central-banks-are-nearing-the-inflate-or-die-stage/

The podcast is missing.
Travlin

[fixed – Adam]

it's there, but it cannot be downloaded either via the direct amazon s3 link or through iTunes because amazon s3 apparently requires authorization to access the file.

Download link still seems to be broken. In Firefox I receive this:
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
      <Error><Code>AccessDenied</Code><Message>Access Denied</Message><RequestId>6B6418AD3123FDB4</RequestId><HostId>da12bDZ0kC+2cUGfdmFTzOQnr7obqEksWdRflHDFAN/25Hias8qAEhHH2IiPDYGZ</HostId></

In IE 9 I get a 403 (forbidden).

is anybody still having a problem?  This loaded and played right away for me when I clicked.
We'll work hard to figure out the glitch and prevent it from happening again.

Have a great weekend,

Chris M.

pjvandal & Master - try it now. The Download link should be working for you.

Thanks for the quick fix!

thanks!

seems to me that brodskys calculation regarding the need to bridge the asset/reserve gap misses the point…the banks real problem lies with the hundreds of trillions in derivatives (they say its "netted/hedged" but as jpm has proven, thats not the case) that will cause the system to implode…having reserves to cover the depositers due to bad loans is not going to help that bank when its on the hook for another 10x that amount in "hedged investments"… brodsky also makes the assumption that the law of diminishing returns wont apply to massive lsaps/qes…even if the cbs had a chance to print to the moon, each round would bring less and less of a positive market response…there will come a day, not too distant, where printing will make no difference…

I'm curious… Did you guys ever get to the bottom of the question as to whether it would be possible to set up the enrolled member-only podcasts on either iTunes or some other mechanism that automatically puts them on your iPhone/iPod?
My (admittedly vague) recollection was that a member here voiced the opinion "Yes, there is a way to do that thru iTunes and still restrict it to paid subscribers only", and in response to that comment Adam agreed to research further and implement if possible.

What's the scoop - is this possible, and if so, has an iTunes subscription channel for enrolled members been set up, or will one be soon?

My apologies if this was already answered elsewhere, but I don't remember seeing anything further so thought I'd ask…

Thanks,

Erik

http://www.forbes.com/sites/shahgilani/2012/07/06/its-not-libor-stupid-central-banks-are-the-problem/

No, we haven't yet been able to set this up, Erik. Has the team you're working with at FinancialSense successfully been able to do this on iTunes for their new premium podcasts?

To Chris (and Paul if he's following the thread):
I would very much appreciate your perspective on last week's rather limited coordinated CB easing event.

Prior to last week, I was pretty much on the same page Chris has been on, thinking "Surely, they must know that for an easing to have meaninful effect, it needs to be BIG, and that means it will need to be a coordinated affair with all major CBs participating. The logic of that argument (best articulated by Chris, but very much in line with other opinions I respect) make perfect sense.

But last week totally confused me. It seems to me that to do a coordinated easing (as they clearly did last week, small as it was) effectively means the CBs have "played their hand". To do what they did then come back a week or two later with a much larger easing wouldn't make sense. So my gut is that there cannot be another coordinated CB easing for at least a few months now. I base that argument on NOTHING more than my gut feel that CBs tend to avoid taking actions frequently, and because I figure if they were going to do something BIG, they would either do it or wait till they were ready to do it. But doing what they did last week just doesn't jibe in my mind with a forthcoming much larger coordinated easing event.

So did the CBs just shoot their wad or what? And if so, does that pretty much lock in one side of Chris' prediction that EITHER there will be a major market crash OR a major coordinated CB easing event within the next 6 months? Seems to me like it did. Chris?

Thanks,

Erik

I'm with Erik T.,absolutely. Please respond to this very logical sequence of thought.
Regarding this podcast: "complex", yet in the end "simple". "Gold is money", it is "Alaska", and who wouldn't want to own a part of "Alaska".

Erik has made a srong case against a coordinated CB action near term and should be talked about.

Incidentally Erik, just a great interview over at Financial Newshour, a can't miss on Mondays.

Respectfully Given

BOB

The US (and the EU) should return to the gold standard, setting the price of gold to $7000/ounce or whatever amount it takes to make every 'printed' dollar convertible using the 261m ounces of gold (supposedly) held in 'reserve'.  This would initially be inflationary since everyone holding an ounce of gold would suddenly have $7000 instead of $1600 (approx current market value) and gold miners would go into overtime to dig up more 'dollars', thus vastly increasing the money supply.  This would amount to a devaluation such as Mr. Brodsky is talking about and would have the effect of reducing the debt burden needed to avoid a punishing deflation.  Lenders would be repaid with cheaper dollars but that is better than not being paid at all (bankruptcy).  Workers would be paid with cheaper dollars but that is better than losing their jobs. Eventually, prices and wages would catch up to gold and, in the mean time, Congress could get its fiscal house in order.  Would they do it?  What other choice is there?

[quote=wootendw]The US (and the EU) should return to the gold standard, setting the price of gold to $7000/ounce or whatever amount it takes to make every 'printed' dollar convertible using the 261m ounces of gold (supposedly) held in 'reserve'.  This would initially be inflationary since everyone holding an ounce of gold would suddenly have $7000 instead of $1600 (approx current market value) and gold miners would go into overtime to dig up more 'dollars', thus vastly increasing the money supply.  This would amount to a devaluation such as Mr. Brodsky is talking about and would have the effect of reducing the debt burden needed to avoid a punishing deflation.  Lenders would be repaid with cheaper dollars but that is better than not being paid at all (bankruptcy).  Workers would be paid with cheaper dollars but that is better than losing their jobs. Eventually, prices and wages would catch up to gold and, in the mean time, Congress could get its fiscal house in order.  Would they do it?  What other choice is there?
[/quote]
What would happen to Silver in your senario? Would it be officially recognized as Money? If you added in the value of the world's above ground silver reserves you could somewhat reduce the dollar price of gold at revaluation.

Prof. Steve Keen has not changed his mind. On RT he repeats his belief that there will have to be a private debt jubillee.
That might solve the problems of the virtual world of money, but how will it change the real world of the exponential growth and decay of real things? (Population, oil, rescources and others.)

This is taken from zerohedge.com by "All Risk No Reward."  I am putting it here because it represents another angle on what is happening–one that I am not sure how to evaluate.  I would love to hear the assessment from those of you with more background in macroeconomics.  The question for me personally is this:  "Is it wise to take out a home mortgage loan for my primary residence at this point in time?"

"For another view, the Money Power is reaching a point where they have to determine who gets their limbs cut off.

1. Hyperinflation will cut off the limbs of the debt holders and the cash holders

2. Debt deflation will cut off the limbs of debtors and nation states.

TBTF mega banks can't fail, by definition, so they don't really care which way it goes.

The problem the "straight to hyperinflation" folks have is that it requires:

1. The private banking cartel that makes the call to determine they will cut off their own limbs in order to bail out debtors.

2. That same banking cartel has to be dumber than a box of rocks for issuing 3.6% 30 year mortgages ahead of this "imminent hyperinflation."

3. You can't just "lose confidence" in the money anymore than you can "lose confidence in your mortgage" or student loan or car loan.  The debt holders won't let you do that, so YOU NEED MONEY OR YOU LOSE YOUR ASSET. [ie--They will reposses your car and house if you do not participate fully in the earn-money-in-dollars-and-make-loan-payments game.]

If you lose the assets, the debt has to be written down - and that's deflation by definition.

Hyperinflation is the end game - of that there is little debate.

The operative question, for those who understand the system enough to even formulate the question, is, "will there be an asset strripping deflation ahead of the hyperinflation?"

I believe there will be.

That doesn't make gold bad - it isn't so long as it is in your possession and you can defend it.

But you also have to consider that it might be h*ll on Earth to get physical gold because a societal asset stripping deflation is gonna be WICKED...  it won't be a gradual decline in prices.  We are talking about 50-90% of bank credit and investment digits being zeroed out - and the insiders have been preparing for this eventuality the last 4 years.

Here's another interesting take on it 
The LIBOR Scandal Is a Sham Engineered by Central Banking Elites?
and of interest

Wall Street Banks Decline Bernanke's Twist, Hoard Treasurys
as Zero Hedge Notes
Actually as shown here, ST Bond holdings have soared as dealers buy what Fed sells: more here

I, too, agreed with the concept that it is too late for a small QEx, only a huge one with all the CBs coordinating, but IF you think that their purpose is to creat chaos, not just destruction of the world economy, then any type of confusion can contribute to chaos.  The more confusion they can create the better, think they.Their view, of course, is that chaos opens the door to a new world order.
Lots of evil bit players can have, each of them, a "coordinated" push to the brink and over even with their random efforts.
Perhaps the only prediction is that more chaos will appear.
With that "WHO" decides on which world order may appear?
The planet certainly needs a better system of survival and paths toward survival.