Ready Or Not...

~ Walking straight in a hall of mirrors

I have to confess, it's getting more and more difficult to find ways of writing about everything going on in the world. 

Not because there's a shortage of things to write about -- wars, propaganda, fraud, Ebola -- but because most of the negative news and major world events we see around us are symptoms of the disease, not the disease itself.

There are only so many times you can describe the disease, before it all becomes repetitive for both the writer and the reader. It's far more interesting to get to the root cause, because then real solutions offering real progress can be explored.

Equally troubling, in a world where the central banks have distorted, if not utterly flattened, the all important relationship between prices, risk, and reality, what good does it do to seek some sort of meaning in the new temporary arrangement of things? 

When the price of money itself is distorted, then all prices are merely derivative works of that primary distortion. Some prices will be too high, some far too low, but none accurately determined by the intersection of true demand and supply.

If risk has been taken from where it belongs and instead shuffled onto central bank balance sheets, or allowed to be hidden by new and accommodating accounting tricks, has it really disappeared? In my world, risk is like energy: it can neither be created nor destroyed, only transformed or transferred. 

If reality no longer has a place at the table -- such as when policy makers act as if the all-too-temporary shale oil bonanza is now a new permanent constant -- then the discussions happening around that table are only accidentally useful, if ever, and always delusional.

Through all of this, the big picture as described in the Crash Course grows ever more obviously clear: we are on an unsustainable course; economically, ecologically, and -- most immediately worryingly  -- in our use of energy.

So let's start there, with a simple grounding in the facts.

By The Numbers

Humans now number 7.1 billion on the planet and that number is on track to rise to 8 or 9 billion by 2050. Already 'energy per capita' is stagnant across the world and has been for a few decades. If the human population indeed grows by 15-25% over the next three and a half decades, then net energy production will have to grow by the same amount simply to remain constant on a per capita basis.

But can it? Specifically, can the net energy we derive from oil grow by another 15% to 25% from here? 

Consider that, according to the EIA, the US shale oil miracle will be thirty years in the rear-view mirror by 2050 (currently projected to peak in 2020). And beyond just shale, all of the currently-operating conventional oil reservoirs will be far past peak and well into their decline. That means that the energy-rich oil from the giant fields of yesteryear will have to be replaced by an even larger volume of new oil from the energetically weaker unconventional plays just to hold things steady.

To advance oil net energy on a per capita basis between now and 2050, we'll have to fight all of the forces of depletion with one hand, and somehow generate even more energy output from energetically parsimonious unconventional sources such as shale and tar sands with the other hand.

These new finds...they just aren't the same as the old ones. They are deeper, require more effort per well to get oil out, and return far less per well than those of yesteryear. Those are just the facts as we now know them to be.

In 2013, total worldwide oil discoveries were just 20 billion barrels. That's against a backdrop of 32 billion barrels of oil production and consumption. Since 1984, consuming more oil than we're discovering has been a yearly ritual. To use an analogy: it's as if we're spending from a trust fund at a faster rate than the interest and dividends are accruing. Eventually, you eat through the principal balance and then it's game over.

Meanwhile, even as the total net energy we receive from oil slips and our consumption wildly surpasses discoveries, the collective debt of the developed economies has surpassed the $100 trillion mark -- which is a colossal bet that the future economy will not only be larger than it is currently, but exponentially larger.

These debts are showing no signs of slowing down. Indeed, the world's central banks are doing everything in their considerable monetary power to goose them higher, even if this means printing money out of thin air and buying the debt themselves.

Along with this, the demographics of most developed economies will be drawing upon badly-underfunded pension and entitlement accounts -- most of which are literally nothing more substantial than empty political promises made many years ago.

These trends in oil, debt and demographics are stark facts all on their own. But when we tie these to the obvious ecological strains of meeting the needs of just the world's current 7.1 billion, any adherence to the status quo seems worse than merely delusional. 

Here's just one example from the ecological sphere. All over the globe we see regions in which ancient groundwater, in the form of underground aquifers, is being tapped to meet the local demand.

Many of these reservoirs have natural recharge rates that are measured in thousands, or even tens of thousands, of years.

Virtually all of them are being over-pumped. The ground water is being removed at a far faster rate than it naturally replenishes.

This math is simple. Each time an aquifer is over-pumped, the length of time left for that aquifer to serve human needs diminishes. Easy, simple math. Very direct.

And yet, we see cultures all over the globe continuing to build populations and living centers - very expensive investments, both economically and energetically – that are dependent for their food and water on these same over-pumped aquifers.

In most cases, you can calculate with excellent precision when those aquifers will be entirely gone and how many millions of people will be drastically impacted.

And yet, in virtually every case, the local 'plan' (if that's the correct word to use here) is to use the underground water to foster additional economic/population growth today without any clear idea of what to do later on.

The ‘plan’ such as it is, seems to be to let the people of the future deal with the consequences of today's decisions.

So if human organizations all over the globe seem unable to grasp the urgent significance of drawing down their water supplies to the point that they someday run out, what are the odds we'll successfully address the more complex and less direct impacts like slowly falling net energy from oil, or steadily rising levels of debt? Pretty low, in my estimation.

Conclusion

Look, it's really this simple: Anything that can't go on forever, won't.  We know, financially speaking, that a great number of nations are utterly insolvent no matter how much the accounting is distorted. Said another way: there's really no point in worrying about the combined $100 trillion shortfall in Social Security and Medicare, because it simply won't be paid.

Why? It can't, so it won't. The promised entitlements dwarf our ability to fund them many times over. There's really not much more to say there.

But the biggest predicament we face is that steadily-eroding net energy from oil, which will someday be married to steadily-falling output as well, can't support billions more people and our steadily growing pile of debt.

Just as there's no plan at all for what to do when the groundwater runs out besides 'Let the folks in the future figure that one out,' there's no plan at all for reconciling the forced continuation of borrowing at a faster rate than the economy can (or likely will be able to) grow.

The phrase that comes to mind is 'winging it.' 

The wonder of it all is that people still turn to the same trusted sources for guidance and as a place to put their trust. For myself, I have absolutely no faith that the mix of DC career politicians and academic wonks in the Fed have any clue at all about such things as energy or ecological realities.  Their lens only concerns itself with money, and the only tradeoff concessions they make are between various forms of economic vs. political power.

If the captains supposed to be guiding this ship are using charts that ignore what lies beneath the waterline, then you can be sure that sooner or later the ship is going to strike something hard and founder.

I'm pretty sure the Fed's (and ECB's and BoJ's and BoE's) charts resemble those of medieval times, with "Here be dragons" scrawled in the margins next to a series of charts of falling stock prices and unwinding consumer debt.

So there we are. The globe is heading from 7.1 billion to 8 or 9 billion souls, during a period of time when literally every known oil find will be well past its peak. Perhaps additional shale finds will come along on other continents to smooth things out for a bit (which is not looking likely), but it's well past time to square up to the notion that cheap oil is gone. And with it, our prospects for the robust and widespread prosperity of times past. 

Because all of this inevitably leads to some sort of time of reckoning, natural questions emerge: What might happen and when? What would that feel like?  How would I know it's started? Given the knowns and unknowns, are there any dominant strategies for mitigating the risks that I should undertake?  What are the challenges and what are the opportunities?

In Part 2: The 3 Likeliest Ways Things Will Play Out From Here we're going to explore three scenarios as a means of teasing out what's most likely to happen over the coming years as the above forces increasingly impact our way of living. Simple math tells us the status quo is unsustainable and therefore will change. What will those changes be? And what can you do today to mitigate their impact on your life and well-being?

Click here to read Part 2 of this report (free executive summary, enrollment required for full access)

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://peakprosperity.com/ready-or-not/

The most striking thing about the Titanic was an iceberg. (Gallows humour.)
I have just finished watching Steven M. describe the situation and was wondering where to put it. This will do fine.

Blow after blow describing the predicament-without one word about resource depletion. (Resource=energy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYkl3XlEneA

This is the chorus to your song.  Keep on singing it so any willing to hear will hear. 
The time line is continuing to move, and society is making awful creaking sounds at a faster clip.  Your song is needed, thank you for your continued effort in singing it. (Speaking to everyone at PP, and the PP community, who makes this information so easily accessible.)

The standard run from Limits to Growth will play out. Too late now.   I've been very lucky to have lived most of my life during the Classical period of our civilization.  We, the generation in power, have only one objective, to keep the Ponzi scheme going for a little bit longer. The future be dammed.  Another 10 years traveling round the world (still climbing 8a hopefully) on the remaining oil reserves, then 20 more quiet years riding out the decline on my accumulated capital.  This will do me.

Ed

Fellow Worriers,
I have been looking at this a whole new way these days.  Enjoy. Every. Day.  Make use of the time available and the vastness of the available resources to get ready for a different future.  If you are all set up, then enjoy air conditioning, air travel, the internet, and sashimi.  As we use to say in the Infantry: "There is no need to practice suffering.  When the time comes, you won't have any choice."

Soon enough the roof will cave in, the barbarians will be at the door, and the whole edifice of bull will come crashing down.  Until then, make the most of life and bank "good days".  There will certainly be some bad ones up ahead.  I'm going to go tickle my 2 year old.

Rector

I love the way that you laid it all out Chris!
Step by Step to the inevitable conclusion.  We are executing our plans and preps as we move forward.  

Keep up the great work!  You lead a great team!

Cheers!

Ed, you can climb 8a?  Holy smokes!  That's truly impressive.  I never got anywhere close to that level at my very best.
Good on ya!

It's not lack of energy, it's lack of consciousness and that problem can be solved in the present moment, tickling a 2 year old is part of the solution, it's not enjoying life in spite of the problem. When will we awaken? When will we stop asking how and start asking why and then be willing to live without an answer?

treebeard-I disagree.  Lack of energy will cause the current edifice to crumble, no question about it.  Whether that ends up leading us all to ruin and decay, or is simply a catalyst for change in consciousness is the question for me.
My preferred outcome (although Tom tells me I don't get a vote - I think I do get one) is that we receive a big enough kick to dislodge the current paradigm in control, and as a direct result one of the fringe things that have been repressed comes into the light of day (LENR, space aliens, whatever) and we end up having both more consciousness as well as more energy.
But first the style of thinking currently in control needs to be thoroughly discredited by events…
How's that for a "none of the above" choices?

I think we will have population reduction, not so much of war or famine but because of the civil mindedness of people choosing no families or very few, natural selection (Ebola) and baby boom die off. 5 billion by 2050 or less. Waste is the lowest hanging fruit so will be rationed and rightfully so. Free anything is not happening, you come and work for your sustenance. Folks barter much more, the church becomes a place to worship and becomes the community center once again. Shared sacrifice is a humble and proper balance in which to function as a society and keep your dignity. Leaders are born and we have those so expect the best of the best rising up as the 99% elect realists and hold them to their pledges. History shows we have enjoyed our standard of living for a very short period of time. Many barns still have hanging the straps and harnesses of the day when we all worked hard to survive, so many teachers still live who can be valuable resources and get geared up again for what the future will always need, food. I know this, we are survivors, it's a genetic thing and we will move as one once the rot leaves the system after one serious shock to our system, after just having a serious shock. I have noticed many more are aware as we are since 2008, and we get another crisis and people will want to know when we get to work, get done what needs to get done. Optimistic? Yep. 

Ta Chris.  I've been lucky. The key is to stay fit and lean, manage injuries throughout life and not use age as an excuse. Novalo Marin climbed 8b+ at the age of 60. www.dpmclimbing.com/climbing-videos/watch/novato-marín-en-géminis-8b-rodellarps If you're ever in the UK and want a vacation in the Yorkshire Dales, I know of a great guest house you can stay at (free of charge to you). Great climbing, hiking and biking.  Keep up the good work.

One of the problems we, as readers, face is that virtually no one else is telling this story.  It's completely missing in the MSM.  Of the other rare sources I've found, none tell it as clearly as Peak Prosperity.  
Those of us who have been with Peak Prosperity for a while, need updates on the situation from somewhere, to both hold our resolve and retain a level of sanity, in a world almost entirely described in lies.
Lies are all you get from the governments and MSM.  Delusions are all you get from friends and neighbors. On that note, I've got to hand it to you.  I've largely stopped trying to tell people what's happening.  The aghast and angry reactions I've faced in the past have convinced me that people want to maintain the illusion until the bitter end.
Even my wife is in the middle ground.  Her response; "Is there anything we can do to fix the problem?"  If not, I don't want to hear about it or think about it.  Let's enjoy today and face tomorrows problems tomorrow.
I sympathize.  It must be tough to find different ways to say the same thing over and over again.  But please don't stop.  We need the regular reminder from somewhere.

Well, nothing about this article surprised me. What surprises me is that no other media sources in the mainstream seem to have the ability to latch on to the obvious signs of decay and the failure of modern life. I have many intelligent friends whose attitudes can best be summed up by "Oh, I'm sure science will figure that problem out," or "I'm sure better minds than mind already are coming up with alternatives." These are people with Master's degrees, too. Just more proof that intelligence as generated by books and school lie across a vast chasm from intelligence as generated by wisdom, logic, and intuition. Seeing as how the latter is the thing we try to beat the hell out of our kids in school, I shouldn't be surprised. I try to be a teacher who does the opposite.

Meanwhile at our household we've quietly settled in to a pattern of learning how to grow things (our Muskmelon, soybeans, green peppers, potatoes and tomatoes did wonderfully this season! Spinach and onions…not so much) as well as keeping stockpiles of food high in our pantry. I don't know what else to do, since we're not one of the lucky families who have a house off the grid, perfectly located with ample farmland, fresh water, far away from the paths the urban dwellers are likely to take should anything go REALLY wrong. It's the best we can do.

I supposed I'm spreading the word in other ways, too. I'm using parts of the Crash Course in my economics class, and what heartens me is that my students - 15/16 year old girls - are easily capable of the logic required to see the unsustainable nature of the financial system. When I was explaining stocks, bonds, Treasury notes and the like, several girls pointed out that debt taken on now would come due when THEIR generation was in power, which they felt was unfair. When another student then asked if the current levels of debt were sustainable, I took a quote from Chris and simply stated that any debt now is a claim on future prosperity. When she prodded further - a look of adolescent distrust on her face, as if she felt I was just about to lie to her like most adults do - and asked whether I felt the current levels of national debt could be credibly paid off in the future by her generation, I actually answered honestly and said, "No, it is not sustainable. You are wise to pick up on how reckless this is." She seemed a bit shocked at my honesty (kids these days are used to us adults just saying everything will be fine), but then asked what we can do about it. I shrugged and said "I'm still thinking about it. But what is clear is that we, as a society, need to start thinking and talking about it NOW, not tomorrow, and that spreading awareness of the big crises we as a nation and globe face would certainly help." (Not quite in those words, but essentially)

And here's the punch line: I teach at a private school, and some of my kids are children of the "elite"– bankers, investment managers, lawyers, etc., and even THEY know the gig is almost up.

Sorry if any part of this post is jumbled. I haven't finished my morning coffee, and I'm grading essays on the effects Columbus's accidental discovery of the Americas affected the world. Multitasking for the win!

Not.

-S

No need to apologize for repeating the same message. Never underestimate how many times we may need to hear it, AND you never know how many new people are visiting the site every day; they are unlikely to go back and look at past articles, so renewing the message keeps them up to date. Those of us who have been visiting the site for a few years now can just avoid any article that feels redundant (though I never do).

Something we don't hear about is how aquifer depletion can be permanent.  Aquifers are quite often not just underground lakes.  They are large volumes of sand-filled layers which hold water like a sponge.  When the water is pumped out, the sand collapses, and the earth above it subsides, compressing the sand and converting it into sandstone.  After that, it won't matter how many hundreds or thousands of years one waits, the water will not recharge the aquifer, because it cannot penetrate the now dense and collapsed sand. 
Areas like Mexico City and Houston, Texas, for example, are subsiding at alarming rates.  At some point, there will be no option to draw water from underground.  At that point, even if you have energy for pumping, no amount of pumping will produce water.  In that case, it may be that lack of water will be what precipitates an economic and cultural collapse in that locality, rather than a lack of energy.

Perhaps we should be talking more about peak water.

[quote=dkyates]Something we don't hear about is how aquifer depletion can be permanent.  Aquifers are quite often not just underground lakes.  They are large volumes of sand-filled layers which hold water like a sponge.  When the water is pumped out, the sand collapses, and the earth above it subsides, compressing the sand and converting it into sandstone.  After that, it won't matter how many hundreds or thousands of years one waits, the water will not recharge the aquifer, because it cannot penetrate the now dense and collapsed sand. 
Areas like Mexico City and Houston, Texas, for example, are subsiding at alarming rates.  At some point, there will be no option to draw water from underground.  At that point, even if you have energy for pumping, no amount of pumping will produce water.  In that case, it may be that lack of water will be what precipitates an economic and cultural collapse in that locality, rather than a lack of energy.
Perhaps we should be talking more about peak water.
[/quote]

Isn't that the whole reason WHY many of us feel the gig is almost up? One crisis, we can overcome. Two, we can perhaps manage. Three is pushing it. Four or more? Doubtful. And when you break it down, there are multiple BIG crises looming for modern society, and all of them seem to be converging rapidly. Still, the vast majority seem content to watch the chariot races and attend events at the coliseum while Rome, literally, collapses around them. sigh
It's peak oil, peak fresh water, peak agriculture, peak population, peak commodities. The Three E's - each of which contain multiple levels of crisis - all coming together.
I need to go tickle a two year old now, because, indeed, there lies the most important thing in the world; caring for others, community, working together, and living life every day.

Isn't that the whole reason WHY many of us feel the gig is almost up? One crisis, we can overcome. Two, we can perhaps manage. Three is pushing it. Four or more? Doubtful. And when you break it down, there are multiple BIG crises looming for modern society, and all of them seem to be converging rapidly. Still, the vast majority seem content to watch the chariot races and attend events at the coliseum while Rome, literally, collapses around them. *sigh* It's peak oil, peak fresh water, peak agriculture, peak population, peak commodities. The Three E's - each of which contain multiple levels of crisis - all coming together.
It almost feels like a Hollywood plot when we watch the simultaneous convergence of all these problems in one lifetime.  What are the odds that we would be endowed just enough fossil fuels to change the climate, just enough fossil water to last us until the fuel ran out? I struggle with issues of faith, but it's almost enough to make me think that this is a test of our character from a higher power.  Unlike most christians, I believe that if we are to be judged, it will be by our actions, not by our unwavering faith in redemption through faith (circular logic if you ask me). We are the few paying attention to what is coming our way and that is a huge responsibility.  We first have to prepare our families and then work to have a positive stabilizing effect in our communities.  I have never quoted scripture here, but this seems appropriate.  Faith can be a powerful organizing tool and we will need those as the false paradigms that currently cohere society crumble around us from the outside in. 1 Timothy 5:8 But if any provideth not for his own, and specially his own household, he hath denied the faith.

[quote=Thetallestmanonearth]

I believe that if we are to be judged, it will be by our actions, not by our unwavering faith in redemption through faith (circular logic if you ask me).
1 Timothy 5:8 But if any provideth not for his own, and specially his own household, he hath denied the faith.

[/quote] Amen Tallest.  You are what you do.

Dave Kranzler's opinion;

http://investmentresearchdynamics.com/why-is-eric-holder-stepping-down/

While head of the Justice Department, Holder’s reign helped usher in financial system fraud and criminality of unprecedented proportions.  Yet, financial industry investigations and prosecutions declined precipitously under Holder’s watch to levels that were below even that  of the Bush Administration, itself extraordinarily lenient in its tolerance of Wall Street fraud.

Our entire financial and economic system is on the precipice of major collapse.  It is no coincidence that Holder is leaving the mess he helped create before the napalm ignites. It’s similar to Bill Gross’ timely exit at Pimco, where his “famed” Total Rate of Return flagship bond fund is nothing more than a viper’s nest of dangerous derivatives.

For me, the departure of both of these people signify that the flames of Rome are about to engulf our system.

After a week in which, in order, 400,000 people marched in NYC to fight climate change, a U.N. climate summit was also held in NYC and, in a joint venture between Elon Musk and NY state, ground was broken on what is described as a gigafactory that will produce the cheapest most efficient solar panels in the world at a rate sufficient to replace a nuclear power plant a year, I'm feeling a bit better about our prospects.  Oh yeh, the gigafactory will employ 1,450 people in Buffalo, a perennially depressed rust belt city.  If successful, I'm sure it will spawn many copycats and subsidiary businesses that can go a long way toward solving the grand daddy of all our problems, climate change.  Perhaps peak oil will also be ameliorated along the way.  Crash programs to transition from fossil fuels to renewables are absolutely necessary for both the climate and energy.  The numbers are daunting, but if we wake up in time, the world may not crumble around us.
Sure, there will be wrenching dislocations associated with the problems described by Chris, particularly water.  But we have had wrenching dislocations before and somehow survived them.  It seems to me that we mere mortals can best survive any economic crash by insulating ourselves from the depredations of governments and bankers with all the methods described over the years here at PP.  Get your money and assets out of the system, build your community and become more self sufficient.  As I have written before, economic crashes are common, but we somehow muddle through.

Perhaps most crucial of the resources is water.  We can't live without it.  Although we are seeing rapid depletion of aquifers and surface water in the American southwest and other arid regions around the world, there are still many places where water is abundant.  I can't help but think that Elon Musk had that in mind when he picked Buffalo over many offers from California and other locations around the world to build his factory.  The Great Lakes hold 20% of the world's surface fresh water and is surrounded by a huge land mass that gets abundant rain, lately perhaps too much rain.  (One of the mixed blessings of climate change)  It is easy to imagine yet another mass migration back to the rust belt for the same reasons that the greatest industrial engine ever to power the world's economy was built here in the 19th and 20th centuries.  It is also a region that lends itself to small farming which is becoming more important as industrial ag is shown to be unsustainable.

As I said, there will be huge dislocations, most of which I think will again involve people moving to find opportunity.  As the necessity of reducing atmospheric carbon, finding alternative energy sources and ensuring water security become more obvious, I think people will respond and do the right things.

Doug