Retail sales plunge in October

At the local Old Navy store, in a big mall, a very strange thing was recently spotted... the floor space of the store has been cut in half, using fabric curtains hastily hung from the rafters.

When asked, the manager said, "We've downsized; this is how big the store is now."

Excuse me, but what?

What kind of a strategy is that?

All that saves is a small bit of inventory carrying cost and perhaps a couple of employees. But unless they renegotiated the lease rate, their fixed overhead burden just shot through the roof.

Goodbye, profits. Hello weird, unsettling shopping experience.

And now, in today's news, it is confirmed that this local anecdote is but a thread in a larger tapestry.

Retailers report steep sales declines in October
NEW YORK (AP) -- The nation's retailers saw their sales plummet last month to the weakest October level since at least 1969, as the financial crisis and mounting layoffs left shoppers too scared to shop.

According to the ICSC-Goldman Sachs index, sales fell 1 percent, the weakest October performance since at least 1969 when the index began. That compares to a 1 percent gain in September and well below the 1.8 percent average pace so far this fiscal year, which for retailers begins in February.

Excluding Wal-Mart, the October sales number was down 4.6 percent. The index is based on same-store sales, or sales at stores opened at least a year, which are considered a key indicator of a retailer's health.

Wal-Mart posted a 2.4 percent gain in same-store sales, better than the 1.6 gain projected by analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters. Including fuel sales, same-store sales rose 2.5 percent.

Target Corp. -- which has lagged behind Wal-Mart because of its heavier emphasis on nonessentials -- posted a 4.8 percent drop, worse than the 2.8 percent decline that analysts had expected.

Costco, hurt by currency effects, reported a 1 percent decline in October, below the 3.6 percent gain Wall Street projected.

Among department stores, Penney reported a 13 percent drop in same-store sales at its department store business, worse than the 13.2 percent decline predicted. Macy's Inc. reported a 6.3 percent drop for October. No estimate from Thomson Reuters was available.

Luxury stores reported steep declines as affluent shoppers cut back on designer clothing. Nordstrom's 15.7 percent drop in same-store sales was worse than the 13.1 percent decline expected. Saks Inc. recorded a 16.6 percent drop, more than the 11.8 percent decrease predicted.

Gap Inc.'s 16 percent drop was worse than the 11.1 percent decline Wall Street had forecast. The retailer reaffirmed its profit outlook for the third quarter, however, as it focused on inventory control. Limited Brands Inc. reported a 9 percent drop in October, a bigger decline than the 7.2 percent analysts were expecting.

Even teens stayed away from malls. American Eagle Outfitters Inc. reported a steeper-than-expected 12 percent drop in same-store sales, while Abercrombie & Fitch Co. had a 20 percent drop.

To review: this is the worst drop in consumer retail spending since record-keeping began in 1969 (eclipsing even the worst of the '73-'74 results), and it cuts across all age and socioeconomic brackets.

The fact that Wal-Mart is advancing here at the expense of everybody else tells us that money is very tight out there.

I lay some of this at the feet of the DC geniuses that decided to use a Shock 'n Awe approach for ramming through the banker bailout bill. In order to create the proper atmosphere, phrases such as "financial Armageddon" and "system collapse" were bandied about.

While this helped to get the public money flowing in time to assure that Wall Street bonuses could be delivered by Christmas, it certainly did not help the mood of the consumer, as evidenced by this shocking fall off in spending.

And still we have not officially admitted to ourselves that we are in a recession.

Bottom line: Together with the fall in housing, commodity, and stock market prices, these consumer spending numbers tell us that this is not your average recession. The speed and the depth of the drop-offs are unparalleled, and we need to be aware that our economic system is being tested as never before. Conserve your resources; we've got a long way to go before this plays out.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://peakprosperity.com/retail-sales-plunge-in-october-2/

And along comes the news of the potential for yet another "stimulus" payment so that people will rush to the malls for x-mas. What I think will happen is that the American public is simply too used to having packages to open on x-mas morning, and while they may cut back, make no mistake that those packages will be there.
HOWEVER, they will not be wasting gas to get the stuff. Too many internet retailers provide free shipping, and the means to price and compare without leaving the living room.
Hence the next big bubble - credit cards!
I’ll be back later to say "I told you so!"
Bob

Throwing money at a shrinking economy is like watching a train wreck. My hope is that many of you that understand this better than I (since I am new to this thought) might be inclined to add your voice to a new petition that requires congress to read bills before passing.

This quote from the Sunlight Foundation is insane: "The recently enacted Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 is a case in point. The Senate began consideration of the 451-page bill only 11 hours after it was first posted online. The Senate added 331 one new pages to the package that originally failed in the House, including multi-billion dollar tax measures and energy provisions. The House took up the bill 40 hours later."

Just go to http://bsd.sunlightfoundation.com/page/petition/ReadItFirst to see for yourself.

Lorna

What?! Use a curtain to make the store smaller?!
Where did they find this moron, and whose the putz that made him the manager of anything? Too many businesses think that they can manage people to do what’s needed to keep business afloat. Look at Circuit City: They got rid of senior sales associates and replaced them with unmotivated zit-faced, hormone-driven teenagers thinking they’re saving the company money - and that was the start of the disaster. You do not manage people, they should never be considered things for management. You mange things, and you LEAD people. The American business community has lost sight of service and market control, and the curtain hanger is a prime example of it.

Good idea LIB, but don’t forget to mandate that the bills are written without multi-syllable words so the elites in the beltway can understand what they’re reading!

[quote]And still we have not officially admitted to ourselves that we are in a recession.[/quote]This might not be the best place to ask this question, but who makes the "official" decision of whether or not we are in a recession? How will we know when it is "officially" a recession? Or is it one of those things that is never "official" until looking back on it from the future?

The data collected from goverment agencies determines economic conditions. They look at this data:

1. GDP - Decline in 2 consecutive quarters defines a recession. A decline of 10% signals a depression.

2. Unemployment

3. Industrial production

4. Retail Sales

Remember that the government calculates and controls this data. Do you really believe that GDP declined only .3% last quarter? I would doubt it…we all know better.

Good question raised here http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/salinasprice/2008/1106.html

The US is on track to incur a fiscal deficit of $1 Trillion, perhaps much more, in this fiscal year. If the International Reserves are not growing, that means it will be impossible to fund that deficit. That would mean: monetary inflation in spades, in the US.

I’ll leave you with this question: what is the significance of the drastic change in the growth-trend of International Reserves, from explosive growth, to the sudden beginning of a contraction?
Little off subject for this particular thread, but I guess bankrupt is BK?!?

That exponential curve shows up everywhere.

SG

my guess for the curtain in the shop story is that they didnt have any stock so put that up to hide the fact the store was empty, not to cut any costs

that chart above is a little confusing, what is it supposed to show? please elaborate

my other guess is that we will know when this whole disaster has bottomed out when you guys rise up and sack your congress. every single mess you/ we are in can be traced back to those gangsters

Poor Obama, i wouldnt want to be in his shoes for all the dollars in China

I said the exact same thing. I just feel bad for him, because a lot of this will be blamed on him.

Yeah, Deepcaster.com really pins a lot of this on the Fed cartell propping things up - just a hunch, if there is one iota(sp?) of truth to that I bet January 21 will be an ugly day for the market. I can hear CNBC now…

i cannot believe that people feel sorry for obama

i suggest you take a look at naomi klein’s book shock doctrine.

OBAMA IS PART OF THE PROBLEM.

he got 4 times the money than mac from wall street.

the thug larry summers is on the short list for treas sec.

other names …robert rubin, and geithner. WAKE UP WE ARE IN RUSSIA

OBAMA IS IN ON IT.

check out his speech on the floor of the senate in favor of the bailout.

i am quite sure he read the whole bill.hahahahahahaha

if you have any sympathy save it for the people who really need it US.

GOD SAVE ME

change change change …change of fools

i cannot believe that people feel sorry for obama
i suggest you take a look at naomi klein’s book shock doctrine.
OBAMA IS PART OF THE PROBLEM.
he got 4 times the money than mac from wall street.
the thug larry summers is on the short list for treas sec.
other names …robert rubin, and geithner. WAKE UP WE ARE IN RUSSIA
OBAMA IS IN ON IT.
 check out his speech on the floor of the senate in favor of the bailout.
i am quite sure he read the whole bill.hahahahahahaha
if you have any sympathy save it for the people who really need it US.
GOD SAVE ME
change change change …change of fools

when your neighbor loses his job it is a recession

when you lose yours we will be in a depression

welcome lorna

that would be a good idea if it really mattered.

the bill was written pretty much a year ago.

most bills are written by lobbyists and handed to the

thugs we elect. they pay them peanuts for the right to

rape and pillage.

i take it you believe this was somehow an accident.

i will suggest once again you read naomi klein’s book

shock doctrine. you will then understand completely what is happening.

then a quick look at chris’s essential books list is in order. the creature from

jekyll island and the long emergency are good places to start.

then i suggest you get a lot of prescriptions for prozac, valium,

and qualudes(do they still make them)

there is a bright note alcohol is legal this time

quote:

This might not be the best place to ask this question, but who makes
the "official" decision of whether or not we are in a recession? How
will we know when it is "officially" a recession? Or is it one of
those things that is never "official" until looking back on it from the
future?

Recessions are officially declared by the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER). Generally, this takes at least 6 months or so after it is obvious to the entire world. For example, in 2001, NBER called the recession in November, backdating it to March. Of course, most people felt that, in the real world, it started even earlier.

Joe2baba:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4231109320246838401
Thanks, I think Ambien has Valium in it Cool

I live in Japan so this is the headline I saw this morning in the Japan Times:

Toyota warns full-year profit may dive 74%

Toyota warns that group operating profit for the full year to March will probably plunge nearly 74 percent as the global financial crisis slams auto sales in the United States and Europe.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/mail/nb20081107a1.html

OK Chris has FINALLY gave us the indicator we have so patiently waited for. IF the Old Navy store has a curtain going down the middle, it’s a recession. If a new curtain is put up cutting the remaining store in half, and also 1 cashier exists, we are in a depression.

Thanks Chris Martenson