Strategic Relocation

I would argue it is better to have friends and/or relatives with a farm than have your own. Kind of like a lake house, vacation home, or beach condo. We’ll all move in together and do the chores and provide necessary security if things fall drastically apart.
Better have that conversation before the SHTF. Not everyone with a farm is thinking they're the resource du jour for whomever decides "times are hard enough now I think I'll go hang with cousin Bob or ex-neighbor Sandra." Generally, those who want to extract goods from a Common Resource need to determine, first, that they have rights to that resource, and, second, at what cost. If you're not contributing to growing the wheat and grinding it and baking the bread, it's pretty presumptuous to expect to show up to eat when it comes out of the oven, on just a promise to help produce the next loaf. ("Little Red Hen." Remember?) This is a conversation I have had with my grown kids and have prepared for, accordingly. I don't anticipate taking in many strangers, or any old neighbors from my suburban days. I do anticipate helping less prepared neighbors scale up, building local resiliency and community. 2.
If we are talking immediate industrial collapse with no ATM’s, no grocery stores, and no gas stations then even a Mormon storage of a years worth of food will be a dicey survival prospect.
The point of a stored supply of food is to make survival possible for that year, while getting the crops in and out - or to supplement grown food for that year while scaling up to fill the increased number of mouths at your table. Or to keep everyone alive in bad growing years. Yes, it's dicey, especially in the city or suburbs, but it provides better odds than no food storage and no garden, right? 3.
Neighborhood localism will not take hold until unemployment climbs markedly. Banking failure is going to give us a new monetary system one fine day and promises of repayment and pensions will be re-evaluated. I will be poorer but I would rather rely on the people I know and stay put. A neighborhood organization can negotiate with the city powers that be (Police, Utilities, Sanitation) for essentials.
I'm a big fan of localism. The question is always: what do you bring to the table when the chips are down and everyone is worried about survival? Those who cannot add anything are a resource drain. A community with enough resources may be able to afford to carry such persons - and certainly a community will have compassion for those who are mentally or physically diminished, as long as possible - but the able-bodied will/should be expected to contribute to building up the Common Resource if they intend to withdraw from it. A coordinated suburb can grow a lot of food by taking down fences between houses and opening up common ground to grow both plants and animals. But somebody needs to know how to do that, and whoever does is going to be the proverbial one-eyed man in the land of the blind, with the power that goes with it. People of good intent ought develop knowledge and skills to be that "man", or one of the leadership corps, in order to set the humane tone that is too easily lost when people become desperate. I would not bank on the 'burbs of the US functioning as caringly as South American cities. We have further to fall, from our high place on the hog, and therefore greater fear - and we seem to be coming apart more than pulling together these days. I expect some communities will unite and do quite well, and others will fracture and become oppositional. The difference is going to be early leadership; again, that goes to whomever is best prepared to help lead the community into a survival discipline - and it's inevitably going to require defining who is "in" the group and who "out." There is no way your suburb is going to be able to help 200,000 urbanites who head your way looking for something to eat, or for water if the highrise's power goes out. Because the circumstances of a decline are so variable, and unknown ahead, I wouldn't assume police, sanitation, water, electricity, heating fuel, medical care, or food will be available - or available as needed, or at costs the community can afford. It's at least worth the thought exercise to envision some substitutes or work-arounds. Ideally with neighbors if the plan is to work together in a decline. (This is also a good way to suss out who is already thinking about preparedness and who thinks you're nutz.) The 5 core foods you need to know how to produce in order to provide yourself all of the protein, vitamins, enzymes, and minerals required to keep yourself alive are: corn, beans, potatoes, squash, and eggs. (See: Deppe, "The Resilient Gardner.") It is my opinion that everyone ought to at least learn how to grow those without outside inputs, and learn to keep them going without returning to a store for either seed or pullets. That's minimal resiliency. Without such ability, I don't think a person is in any meaningful way either resilient or free. It's much better to learn how before survival depends upon getting it right. Add to that ability the "Mormon storage of a years worth of food" and survival odds go up at least a few notches. And even if our future never devolves into an apocalyptic nightmare, as the economy fades and resources go with it, being able to produce core essentials reduces stress and cost, smoothing out economic and resource blips and gaps, while buying time to learn and scale.    

A common theme of many collapse novels is the imperative to “share resources” and “all work together” initiated by those without resources. Those without preparations are suddenly drawn to the humanitarian values of “community,” “teamwork,” and “kindness” and “Christian charity,” whereby the resources of those who have prepared are to be redistributed “to everyone, more fairly.” This goes over poorly.
Another gambit is the formation of a committee which claims for itself “the legitimate governmental authority” over the distribution of resources and attempts to confiscate by force the resources of the prepared.
Without the rule of law and the ability to enforce property rights, something is not yours unless you have the power to hold it.

I’m currently indoors on a cold New England day with a temperature in the low 20s. Firewood will be a life and death resource worth guarding/stealing in a world without electricity and natural gas.

…that have. More blessed are those that have,and have miles of neighbors about who are fluent in all sorts of defenses.

Can’t help but see parallels between the micro society of the suburban neighborhood and our Nation. (USA). There is a lot of talk nationally about how “you didn’t build it” or you didn’t earn it through your hard work. The latest was something like “no one ever makes a billion dollars. You take a billion dollars” (AOC ). A billion is a high threshold, but in a collapsed society a pile of firewood might look like a billion dollars…therefore justifying redistribution in the minds of the less fortunate or less industrious. In societies with character and morals and rule of law it is called theft.
P

Historically speaking, the best location varies depending on the severity and nature of the collapse.
In the case of Venezuela, which is pretty much a worst case scenario, an individual family might be better off laying low in Caracas or leaving the country, unless you’re cool with raw subsistence farming and foreign boots in your homestead: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/13/world/americas/Venezuela-collapse-Maduro.html
In the case of a deep long term economic crisis like Greece, where living is rough but basic society remains intact, the farming life offers hope: https://www.dw.com/en/young-greeks-return-to-the-land/a-15881474
During the Soviet collapse and beyond, the Russian Dacha model offers a hedge: one foot in the city, one in the country. Note the level of security, but also the community nature of the dacha system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o6qPXD4g6
No matter where I look historically, I just can’t find any evidence of the Golden Horde thesis. Nor of rural homesteads as a viable strategy, unless they’re connected to some larger social reality. Seems like it’s about diverse communities and pretty large ones at that. Communities that can defend themselves, have a reason to exist relative to other large groups, and that can offer a sense of identity and hope to get through hard times. Got Kurdistan?
As a counter example, Joel Skousen offers, on the front page of his website, Santa Rosa, CA, as a medium size metro that will fare well. It happens to be my hometown. It looks good on paper but… historically, Santa Rosa was an agricultural hub for Sonoma County, which in turn served the greater San Francisco Bay Area. It grew into the largest city in Sonoma County but remains firmly tethered to the Bay Area.
On its own, Sonoma County offered me nothing but low wage jobs, social dysfunction (gangs, meth, inequality) and 99% car dependent sprawl. It’s a beautiful area and if you have outside money it’s a nice life in the Wine Country bubble, but in its current form it’s very dependent on the larger state to survive.
And if you’re thinking that Boise or New Hampshire or wherever is just completely different because of the independent/conservative spirit of the people, well, I hope you’re right. And I do hope that if SHTF, Idaho becomes the Irish monastery equivalent, protecting Western Civ on the hostile frontier. But you have to ask yourself, why wasn’t the Mountain West a choice spot in the best of times? In times of turmoil, does a life well lived mean fleeing to Constaninople or standing your ground in Londinium? What kind of community is worth dying for? These are things that I’m interested in rather than hypothetical scenarios and prepper fantasies.

You are correct, Rome was not racist in the modern sense. I was referring to the institutionalization of racism, sexism and hereditary privilege a thousand years after the fall of Rome.

Have lurked for a while, this post seemed like a good place to finally chime in.
The TL; DR version is that while strategic relocation might make sense for some folks, it does not for my wife and me. We will make our stand where we are.
—————————
We are 60ish and live in a small town in what’s sometimes called the banana belt of Canada. Our town has many amenities: hardware store; post office; a pharmacy; town and provincial office; an HVAC installation/repair firm; lumberyard; five restaurants (which includes Tim Horton’s); two lawyers and a chartered accountant, a Carnegie library; two car repair shops; a grocery store; two barbers; two corner stores; a dentist, a medical clinic, a butcher, a good CSA . . . it’s a lively little town. Everything except the CSA and lumberyard is a 5 to 15 minute walk away. Will our town always have these amenities? It’s impossible to say.
We often (no, not always) patronize our local stores even though the retail cost is more than we’d pay in the nearby larger towns. Unlike many people I count the $ of gasoline and my time (using my salary broken down to an hourly wage) against the dollar savings of buying in the next town over. It’s frequently it’s a wash.
There’s a pleasant semi-natural walk along the border between a riverside bush and an open field. Two larger towns with more amenities (like an emerg room) are a 15-20 minute drive away.
Our home is long since paid off. It’s tiny by most standards - <800 square feet. Not much to heat, cool, and clean. We have a small garden. Of course the garden only supplements what we buy. While right now we have too much shade to have a better garden we expect to improve that by taking down some trees.
Despite the gardens’ size and the shade we got a decent crop of tomatoes last year. Also got jalapenos, rhubarb, lettuce, tomatillos, a bit of celery and Swiss Chard, some asparagus, haskap, red- and black-currants, and strawberries. We harvested our last bit of lettuce last week, largely because our winter has been very mild.
We plan to stay in our humble little house until we can’t. To that end we expect to make our house more accessible and friendly for us as we age. Two examples: building ramps up to our entries, and replacing our whirlpool tub with a low-curbed shower stall, replacing our shingle roof with a steel one, collecting even more rainwater for irrigating our garden. And when we can’t stay here . . . we will see.
Our life horizon is shorter than that of many folks. The overwhelming majority of our capital - physical, financial, emotional, spiritual - is invested here. We know our, our neighbour’s, our community’s, strengths and weaknesses. This is our home. We have no desire to relocate to a place that may - or may not! - better help us ride out whatever the future brings. So we will stay.

Damn. I am quite envious of your setting. It sounds to me like you are already in a prepper’s dream house and town. I’m envious.

Thanks for your kind comments! While it may or may not be a dream house and location, it is ours and we are happy here.

Are We Running Out Of Energy ?

Joel Skousen claims in the 4th edition of his book (page 4), that the world running out of energy is a “false threat”. What do you think of this statement @16 ?