The New Me (Round 2)

Sager - looks like you have attained conscious incompetence.  You're halfway to Mastery.  But don't be a dabbler.
1.  Unconscious Incompetence - You suck AND you don't know it.

2.  Conscious Incompetence - You suck, BUT you know what you suck at.

3.  Conscious Competence - You no longer suck.  In fact, you're good.  But you have to think about it.

4.  Unconscious Competence - Mastery.  You're good and you don't even think about it.

Everyone starts at 1.  80% of new endeavors end somewhere in here.  Of the 20% moving on, about 17% get stuck here.  These are the "dabblers".  They yutz around for awhile and then move on to the next shiny object.  The 3% that reach level 3 are quite content.  2.9% stay at level 3.
But that 0.1% that moves on to Unconscious Competence…think Yo Yo Ma, Rene Fleming, Doc Watson, Maria Callas, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jaco Pastorius, Enrico Caruso, Pele, John Wooden, Christy Mathewson, Michael Jordan, Stephane Grapelli, Django Reinhardt, Itzhak Perlman, Bill Monroe, Jimi Hendrix, Bruce Lee…you get the point.
My guitar playing is about to break from 2 to 3.  After a 6 year layoff following the death of my mandolin instructor, I'm back at it and newly into level 3 (I have no use for B arpeggios…ever).
We should have a beer sometime.

I'm very pleased this article appears to resonate on the meaningful level it was intended to. It's an honor to hear that so many of you are planning deliberate steps to make your health a higher priority.
Jan:

Good for you for making such an investment in your dental work. You got my point exactly, oftentimes our dollars can generate a much better 'return' for us when exchanged for another form of capital (in this case, better teeth for your senior years) rather than to purchase any Financial investment.

Rector:

I loved the vignette about the epiphany you had while driving your daughters. That's exactly the light bulb I was hoping to turn on for readers. If you sacrifice your health in the pursuit of the happiness of those you love such that you die in the process, you're actually failing them. They need you well enough to remain in the game.

And by the way…being post-tied and bullwhipped is a popular CrossFit workout, so you'll get your wish smiley(kidding)

Sugraham75:

We have a winner!! Inconceivable!

sjdavis:

Yes, thanks for mentioning meditation. Adding that to the list of topics for upcoming podcasts.

Tallest:

Good for you. FYI: the physical habits we develop in our 20s are the ones most likely to carry through the rest of our lives. Sounds like you've still got a year to squeeze some good ones in  :)

climber99:

Great idea. I'll being seeing Chris in a few weeks and think a trip to his local climbing gym is indeed in order.

DaveFT:

You're exactly right. Finding an activity that holds your interest is an important key to remaining committed.

AKGranny:

Yep, that's me. I'll take a clearer picture next time to make it more obvious.

JohnG:

Sorry to hear about the health issues. I've seen a lot of prior conditions folks had prior to CrossFit disappear as their fitness and nutrition improved. Hope the same happens for you.

Charles/Jbarney/Les:

Yes, yes and yes. There are all sorts of ways to integrate functional exercise into daily life. You guys have surfaced great examples.

Dan/Sager:

Many thanks! Sager: glad you liked that line. Steal away!

jennifersam:

The mindset is everything. Congrats on your impressive progress!

coglias:

Great question: "Why put in so much work, only to be weaker and less-functional?" I agree 100%: if we're going to invest time and energy in our bodies, let's make sure it pays off in a way we value. That's an important one of the reasons I'm glad I found CrossFit and the nutrition programs that complement it.

Hi Adam, 
Great work! You say following your picture

[quote=Adam]

So…not the Hulk. But not the Blob, either. And a BIG difference from where I was in my 30s.

[/quote]

It looks like you have great functional strength and that Crossfit has worked quite well for you. Congrats!! thats' amazing. In a bit of a different story than some of the others posted here, I can speak from experience that one can be quite "in-shape" while lacking the capacity/physique to be resilient. From my late teens to  my mid-20's I was an obsessive gym rat. I would lift individual muscle groups to see gains in their mass while doing cardio and curtailing calories to minimize body fat. One summer changed my approach. During this summer, a workout buddy and I were at a pool party. It was warm, but we both started shivering because we were losing so much heat due to a combination of muscle mass and little insulative fat. That same summer, I found that the lack of fat reserve and type of training made me too tired to be an effective moving helper or keep up on hikes, even compared to friends who supposedly weren't in as good shape. Why put in so much work, only to be weaker and less-functional? The point here is that what our culture seems to think is "in-shape" doesn't cut it when the body really needs to perform. I've since focused upon kettle bells, yoga, high intensity intervals, sports, and backpacking, which has resulted in a much more resilient me. In short, who of us actually even WANTS to be the hulk? It is totally unsustainable and non-resilient.

Second that, bro.  

I always learn to swim quicker when my feet can't touch bottom.  My sifu is half Filipino sage, half airport luggage handler.  A most excellent combination.  Sages get so tiresome if all they ever do is sit on mountaintops drinking tea and writing poems on leaves.  

I'm down for that beer next time I swing thru your nabe.  Great to see you pop up, old timer.  <smile>

VIVA – Sager

The good thing about Tai Chi etc., is that once you've got the chi flowing in your body( the whole idea ) it can quite often keep flowing of it's own accord.  Because of stress etc I've not been practicing for years, and the flow still happens and even deepens!  Problem is getting it going in the first place.  I cheated a little by attending healing centers  where healers transmitted the chi to a group of 7-15 through space, probably a la Mesmer.  Tony Quinn is main healer's name. After aggrivating the scientific thought police, and journalists looking for easy hatchet jobs, the man retreated to the Bahamas for a quiet life and to enjoy his megabucks.  He seems to get chi and the universe to work in ways the guys with Ph Ds learnt was impossible.  I'm only praising his psychic powers not some of his methods of using them.

And poignant. Ah youth.

http://aaronbleyaert.tumblr.com/post/109959086957

That was great.  #4 caught me and had me rolling.  Great comedic timing.  Well done.

Great to see a spirited defense of tai chi after that brutal put-down from DaveF laugh.
As a 10 year+  daily practitioner I can attest to the health benefits - core body strength, balance, co-ordination, flexibility. Unfortunately I'm no longer actively learning  right now due to our shift to the country - but once the general principles are internalized it is a powerful practice for life.

Keep going Sager!

The other side of fitness at the moment is the hard physical slog of working on the land. This is completely different to the subtle energy buzz of tai chi, though equally valuable.  I'm there too, Jbarney. And I make damn good cider!

Great article and congrats to everyone!
I strongly agree with you Adam when you said diet and nutrition is approximately 80% of the solution. It seems that this topic didn't represent a large portion of the comments and seems to be very difficult for many people. The diets you have suggested have a common theme which wasn't mentioned and it's to eliminate grains. Yoxa did mention Wheat Belly which is a good book. For most people this is one of the best things people can do to improve their health. This along with cutting out sugar. Most people know that soda is bad but don't give much thought to all the crackers, breads, and pasta. There is plenty of research on gluten and it's effect and how people can become addicted just like sugar. What we are really talking about here is the health of your gut. There is very interesting research looking into the connection between the gut and the brain. Not only does the brain send signals to the body but the gut sends signals to the brain which effect many things especially your mood and mental clarity. It's tough to be short here and not explain everything but it would take forever. The point is when you eat well you feel well. That in turn will make it much easier to get up and go exercise and so on. You will be less stressed because you won't have the highs and lows and mood swings and will be able to work more efficiently. To get to the point the three best bits of simple advice for nutrition which is to:

1- drink way more clean water

2- eliminate grains and sugar

3- Avoid processed foods especially canola oil and corn syrups which are in everything

As Adam said a whole foods diet is the way to go. Locally raised meats, dairy, and veggies is key. I'll share a few links to my favorite sites and most effect products for taking control of your health.

One last thought…I keep hearing "sitting is the new smoking". So for everyone who said I'll just start with a walk or something along those lines and feel guilty that that isn't doing much, it may be more beneficial than you think.

http://www.mercola.com/

http://www.westonaprice.org/

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/tom-malterre-gluten-gut-microbiome-elimination-diet-202/

http://www.thesynergycompany.com/v/pure_synergy.html & multi vitamins

http://www.ascendedhealth.com/products_Anti_Aging_Superfood.htm#Products

http://www.detoxmetals.com/

http://sonnes.com/store/product-category/7-detoxificant-32-oz-liquid/

http://www.redicecreations.com/radio/2015/04/RIR-150406.php

http://www.lifesilver.com/

Herbal supplements can be very expensive. I suggest which seems appropriate for this crowd to fill your own capsules at a fraction of the cost. Turmeric is a most for everyone.

https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

I've enjoyed seeing so many people respond to this and I have been surprised by my level of response as well.  Last night I did my first on-ramp class at the local crossfit box (check me out, I know the lingo now).  One fringe benefit of Cross Fit not discussed in this string yet is community.  My wife and I moved to this area a little over a year ago and have been trying to build relationships with people.  We've invited the neighbors over.  They were nice people, but it didn't really go anywhere.  We've shopped for a church, but have not found one we are comfortable with.  We've taken classes at the conventional gym, but haven't met anyone. I've met a few guys in bee club and at the chain saw shop, but so far there's no depth to those relationships.  True community requires acknowledging that we need other people and offering something in return.  In a world where money buys everything you need there aren't many opportunities to ask for or give real support.
While when I was writhing around on the floor trying to hop up from just one more burpee and tasting blood and the people next to me offering encouragement really meant something.  When we ran we slapped hands with everyone we passed.  It's a very comfortable encouraging atmosphere.  Without doing awkward round robin corporate introductions ("tell everyone your name, your favorite candy, and one thing most people don't know about you" - gag!) we got to know everyones name and a little bit about each of them.  Obviously one night of working out with a group of people does not equal community, but it was the most promising interaction we've had since we moved here.  If I'm able to walk again by Saturday morning I'm planning on going back.

[quote=Thetallestmanonearth]
One fringe benefit of Cross Fit not discussed in this string yet is community.  […] While when I was writhing around on the floor trying to hop up from just one more burpee and tasting blood and the people next to me offering encouragement really meant something.  When we ran we slapped hands with everyone we passed.  It's a very comfortable encouraging atmosphere.  Without doing awkward round robin corporate introductions ("tell everyone your name, your favorite candy, and one thing most people don't know about you" - gag!) we got to know everyones name and a little bit about each of them.  [/quote]

This is a great insight, tallest,  and has also been my experience. Every place I have moved its the same story–rec league teammates become friends or acquantainces become workout buddies and turn out to be great friends. After all, its built in that you see them a few times a week. Non-activity based friendships can rarely generate momentum so quickly. There is also something about shared physical activity that puts down guard more than other kinds of social activity. It is definitely a win-win–you are simultaneously growing two kinds of non-traditional capital.

I can attest, Adam is a new man.  Much healthier and vibrant than when we first met…and he can say the same about me.
For me the magic was in the 80% - changing what I ate had more impact on my state of health than anything.  I cut out what were (are) for me inflammatory agents as evidenced by the high levels of circulating antibodies (IgG) I had against these foods.  For me those were pretty much all dairy items (very hard to give up!!), eggs, almonds, wheat, scallops, and a smattering of other foods.

Basically, meat and veggies and I am good to go.  

My vice (downfall) continues to be potato chips, which were not on the ban list (technically) and therefore I allow myself that deviation.

As far as exercise I wish I had a "box" right down the street, but the closest one is about 22 minutes away, which exceeds my personal boundary.

So I exercise on mon/wed/fri with some pals at the local volunteer fire department.  Weights and such.  And then during my work day, especially when a Fed official speaks, I will push back aggressively from my desk and go do a few curls, or planks, or dips (off the coffee table).

At any rate, what works for me exercise wise are these two words; 'every day.'

I don't have to do much…5 minutes is a world away from 0 minutes, and I manage to keep the weight off, the muscle tone up (vanity wins!), and I am in much better shape than I was a few years back.

For me, consistency is the key…and if I have to have a 'box' that is 22 min away to rely on…I know myself…that will fail me…because at heart I am an efficiency nut (lazy man rationalization alert) and what works for me is 5 minutes every day instead of an intense hour 3x per week that sometimes transforms in 0x per week.

But that's me.  If I had a box right up the street, I'd do it.  I've seen the results on Adam and I'd hop in to that program in a skinny minute…hope I could survive the first month of on-ramp pain, and then join the cult which calls itself cross fit.  :)

Just wanted to share the great work day I had outside.  We have a fairly big lawn.  In the fall I was able to rake up most of the front yard, but now that the snow is finally gone…(holy crap) I started the task of doing the rest of it.  I don't know everything about mulch (If anyone one wants to give me tips, feel free) but I am raking up the leaves onto a tarp and dragging them up to the apple and pear trees I planted last fall.  Keep the leaves away from the young trunks, but covering the ground under the trees.  Two apple trees were there when we bought the place, my guess is they are three years old now.  All of the others are smaller, but healthy.  So far they appear to have made it through that ice age of a winter we just went through.  Anyway, collecting bark, cutting small pieces of wood, just trying to build up a good layer of mulch.
And the entire effort is great physical activity.

Adam thanks to your inspiration I finally went to do my first Cross Fit class yesterday (Sat AM).  Wow I have worked out with weights in a gym for many years and usually work out for far longer than the cross fit class but was amazed how tired I was when I got home.  I too was looking for the community aspect that Cgolias mentioned as I don't get that at my old gym (especially since I discontinued Basketball yrs ago due to age knees etc).  I am also going to try a yoga class and experiment with some different types of classes to see what works best.  Today I went back to my fruit tree planting which made for a great weekend workout. Really looking forward to reconnecting with my PP community at Rowe this year…it sounds great!

WOW!!! Congratulations on your success!!!

A prominent researcher on the biochemistry of obesity, David Ludwig, MD, PhD, will give a grand rounds lecture at the Cleveland Clinic on June 7.  It will be live streamed for 24 hours only.  You can sign up to access the stream.  (Sign up link)
Which Comes First?  Overeating or Obesity? by David Ludwig

Ludwig is a pediatric endocrinologist who runs a pediatric obesity unit at Boston Children's Hospital.  He has a very extensive bio (here) and has done clinical behavioral research and biochemical research on obesity and its treatment.  His work forms much of the foundational research and synergizes with that of other writers on Paleo Diet Rob Wolf, Mark Sisson, and Loren Cordain, several of which have been interviewed here on PP.

One of the more fascinating things to emerge from his teams research is to document with functional MRI scanning the activation of the reward and craving sections of the brain after meals of differing composition.  4 hours after a sugary meal, craving are high.  This leads to a following meal that averages 200 calories more.  In this way, the eating of sugary foods reinforces more eating of sugary foods and the incessant process of weight gain.

[David Ludwig is different from Robert Lustig, MD, PhD, another Pediatric endocrinologist who heads another childhood obesity unit, this one at UCSF, who gave this viral youtube lecture on sugar metabolism a few years ago.  Conclusions are very similar.]

For me, and I believe many others… it was the wheat;

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/04/wheat-is-an-opiate/

Modern wheat is an opiate.

And, of course, I don’t mean that wheat is an opiate in the sense that you like it so much that you feel you are addicted. Wheat is truly addictive.

Wheat is addictive in the sense that it comes to dominate thoughts and behaviors. Wheat is addictive in the sense that, if you don’t have any for several hours, you start to get nervous, foggy, tremulous, and start desperately seeking out another “hit” of crackers, bagels, or bread, even if it’s the few stale 3-month old crackers at the bottom of the box. Wheat is addictive in the sense that there is a distinct withdrawal syndrome characterized by overwhelming fatigue, mental “fog,” inability to exercise, even depression that lasts several days, occasionally several weeks. Wheat is addictive in the sense that the withdrawal process can be provoked by administering an opiate-blocking drug such as naloxone or naltrexone.

But the “high” of wheat is not like the high of heroine, morphine, or Oxycontin. This opiate, while it binds to the opiate receptors of the brain, doesn’t make us high. It makes us hungry.

When I got off of wheat three years ago.. I was finally able to control myself.. control my diet.  My cravings for that next fix were almost completely eliminated.  Also, my joints finally felt better after years of inflammatory and/or autoimmune attack.  The biochemistry of this is all very well documented by Dr. Davis in his book, "Wheatbelly" and on his blog. 

Everybody is different… and I am sure that not everyone is sensitive to wheat… but I remain convinced that many maladies, and many cases of intractable obesity, are rooted primarily in this one aspect of the modern diet.  Of course, to Sandpuppy's point, my favorite forms of wheat used to be sugar delivery vehicles like donuts and cake  : )

Count me in that number.

I've lost ninety pounds over three years since I read Wheat Belly and started following its precepts.

That's one year and twenty pounds more than when I posted earlier in this thread! :slight_smile: